Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Rimworld: My colony is running out of noses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

this is why i was on the psychopath hate train when everyone else in the thread was still in love with them. the social fights those assholes inevitably end up starting will disfigure motherfuckers disturbingly often.

This makes sense. Noses are just the tip of the iceberg. There's a ton of missing ears and fingers too.

People who survive fighting mega spiders hand to hand without dismemberment get crippled in social fights.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the weirdest thing i've ever seen get wrecked in a social fight was someone's rib. like, it got smashed so it was not ever getting better.

just.

how.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

the weirdest thing i've ever seen get wrecked in a social fight was someone's rib. like, it got smashed so it was not ever getting better.

just.

how.

You made me check. 25% of colonists have shattered ribs.

Reduced social interactions I'll say. It's a loving Thrumbo :downs:

On another note. Has anyone seen that thing where two colonists exchange a few half hearted punches and then head to the hospital together?

I'm thinking there's some scam here to get out of work :thunk:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh god, when did fedora's give better social interaction bonuses that cowboy hats. This is awful. Unless I'm missing something, they're better in every way now except a cowboy hat is slightly more protective against hot temperature.

Speaking of ribs, do they even do anything yet? Last time i played I remember smashed ribs didn't seem to effect the pawn at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh god, when did fedora's give better social interaction bonuses

are you serious

m'lady

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Yet another mod addition being confused for a vanilla item.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I started playing this on Sunday, not expecting to like it much due to the artwork's similarity to Prison Architect (which didn't click with me). I did though, and sleep already feels like a distant memory. Three colonists trying to save their base after a dry thunderstorm set fire to most of the map was something, alright. Maybe next time I'll build less in wood... and put down some concrete floors.

It feels kind of ironic that I just earlier exiled a newly hired colonist who was an arsonist precisely because I was afraid of the base burning down.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh god, when did fedora's give better social interaction bonuses that cowboy hats. This is awful. Unless I'm missing something, they're better in every way now except a cowboy hat is slightly more protective against hot temperature.

Speaking of ribs, do they even do anything yet? Last time i played I remember smashed ribs didn't seem to effect the pawn at all.
It should give a bonus to anyone else wearing a fedora and mallus to everyone else

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Had a Caravan of 6 hardened combat veterans returning from a pod mission. All of a sudden they get ambushed by Pirates demanding that they hand over their loot and weapons.

More specifically a group of 1 pirates.

This pirate.

I'm surprised it lived long enough for the map to load. It came shuffling towards my group slowly while brandishing a club.

I didn't have any materials to build a prison from. RIP Morton the pirate.

Katt fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 1, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Got to respect a deaf 75 years old with a heart condition that still has the guts to face down six space marines.

Should have brought her body home and built a sarcophagus to celebrate the cheer temerity.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Had a Caravan of 6 hardened combat veterans returning from a pod mission. All of a sudden they get ambushed by Pirates demanding that they hand over their loot and weapons.

More specifically a group of 1 pirates.

This pirate.

I'm surprised it lived long enough for the map to load. It came shuffling towards my group slowly while brandishing a club.

I didn't have any materials to build a prison from. RIP Morton the pirate.

While random stuff like this is occasionally amusing and gives the game flavor, I also think it's one of the game's shortcomings in terms of missed potential.

The AI should start the encounter with that old lady demanding your stuff, and when you decline, should totally ambush you with a much bigger strike force that jumps out of the bushes. Or stuff along those lines.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ZearothK posted:

Got to respect a deaf 75 years old with a heart condition that still has the guts to face down six space marines.

Should have brought her body home and built a sarcophagus to celebrate the cheer temerity.

Would have but she was too heavy to carry while also bringing enough food :(

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

enraged_camel posted:

While random stuff like this is occasionally amusing and gives the game flavor, I also think it's one of the game's shortcomings in terms of missed potential.

The AI should start the encounter with that old lady demanding your stuff, and when you decline, should totally ambush you with a much bigger strike force that jumps out of the bushes. Or stuff along those lines.

That would have been amazing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Splicer posted:

It should give a bonus to anyone else wearing a fedora and mallus to everyone else

Hey, on a 1940s planet the fedora is a perfectly respectable bit of head wear. :mad:

IRL a big ol' cowboy hat isn't much better. In my experience they are only worn by douchenozzel cowboy cosplayers (and politicians pretending to be cowboy cosplayers). Working farmers mostly wear baseball caps.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I have no idea how such a simple game can create such :catdrugs: situations.

I had a commando team wiping out an outpost. One of my soldiers (Izolda) got her leg shot off and caught a bullet in the liver and got a liver infection. We also took one prisoner.

A while later I noticed that even though I brought a good medic the infection was going to kill Izolda.

So the other soldiers chopped a chair into bits and used the wood to make a peg leg and then ripped the liver out of the prisoner and performed a transplant on a used sleeping bag. A day to recover and Izolda was ready to go. They packed up the loot and headed back home.

I also had a mechanoid attack where a single enemy with a minigun shot out 3 eyeballs on 3 different people. This is 75% of the total permanent eyeball injuries I have had in this game so far.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

This is 75% of the total permanent eyeball injuries I have had in this game so far.
so you've been working in biomes that don't support squirrels i take it

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

so you've been working in biomes that don't support squirrels i take it

Correct! I'm in the -67 celc winter biome. All I get is polar bears and refugees that spawn naked and so collapse and die from hypothermia after like 30 seconds.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

this is why i was on the psychopath hate train when everyone else in the thread was still in love with them. the social fights those assholes inevitably end up starting will disfigure motherfuckers disturbingly often.

This is why when I last was playing tended to make my psychopaths live separately in their little hills have eyes area away from the main colony or at least put them on a night shift. They're the guy who never gets invited to the party but they're handy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually play in arctic areas but I have so many mods that raiders have no problem finding a clothing choice to keep them warm enough to survive. I'm honestly worried that there might be a clothing/material combo that can make absolute zero comfortable, which will make me a little annoyed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Correct! I'm in the -67 celc winter biome. All I get is polar bears and refugees that spawn naked and so collapse and die from hypothermia after like 30 seconds.

tiny brain: getting the crops in early in a temperate forest
normal brain: doing the crops whenever in permanent summer
lit brain: make a greenhouse, do crops whenever, wherever
galaxy brain: move to the north pole to get away from the eye-gouging, ear-chomping, chin-devouring squirrels

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Danaru posted:

I usually play in arctic areas but I have so many mods that raiders have no problem finding a clothing choice to keep them warm enough to survive. I'm honestly worried that there might be a clothing/material combo that can make absolute zero comfortable, which will make me a little annoyed

I've been wondering about this - I've played a few very hot biome (like, temperatures of 140) games recently where I get jack poo poo for raiders or caravans - I've noticed this is much less of a problem in cold areas, presumably because insulating clothing is cheap. Why don't I ever eventually see raids with power-armored dudes, then? Basic power armor is good for heat and I have some modded options that are even better at cooling. Am I just not playing long enough to get raids that scale up enough to spend the points on power armor?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Epsilon Plus posted:

I've been wondering about this - I've played a few very hot biome (like, temperatures of 140) games recently where I get jack poo poo for raiders or caravans - I've noticed this is much less of a problem in cold areas, presumably because insulating clothing is cheap. Why don't I ever eventually see raids with power-armored dudes, then? Basic power armor is good for heat and I have some modded options that are even better at cooling. Am I just not playing long enough to get raids that scale up enough to spend the points on power armor?

Muffalo Parkas make pawns comfortable to below minus 100 celc (they will sleep on the ground outside in -60) while the actual cold weather caps at around -70

I dug into a mountain and heat it by making a pipe from Thermal vents into the mountain and supporting it with chemfuel generators (I plant crops inside the mountain for food and fuel)

I do run the vegetable garden mod so I can place dirt anywhere instead of needing a billion hydroponics that kill all plants when the power goes out.

I also run the advanced power generation mod for nuclear power generators.

Edit:

If you don't die from infection or suffer some from of retardation. I'm turning you into a Space Marine Celia.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

tiny brain: getting the crops in early in a temperate forest
normal brain: doing the crops whenever in permanent summer
lit brain: make a greenhouse, do crops whenever, wherever
galaxy brain: move to the north pole to get away from the eye-gouging, ear-chomping, chin-devouring squirrels

Tiny: dig a grave for every raider.
Normal: cremate them and sell their clothes
Lit: butcher them to make chemfuel and sell the leather!
Galaxy: actually, that's a lot of work and it makes everyone sad, just toss them in a pit somewhere out of sight.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

I also run the advanced power generation mod for nuclear power generators.

If you're not adverse to a more complex system, I urge you to give Rimatomics a try. It takes a lot more footwork to get a nuclear power plant running but you can be pumping out completely unreasonable amounts of juice with even the most basic setup. I used to use advanced power generation for nuclear power too but Rimatomics blows it out of the water :science:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

As I said previously, they are the human PCI slot. They do nothing until you plug a drug dispenser into them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Tiny: dig a grave for every raider.
Normal: cremate them and sell their clothes
Lit: butcher them to make chemfuel and sell the leather!
Galaxy: actually, that's a lot of work and it makes everyone sad, just toss them in a pit somewhere out of sight.

gently caress

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Danaru posted:

If you're not adverse to a more complex system, I urge you to give Rimatomics a try. It takes a lot more footwork to get a nuclear power plant running but you can be pumping out completely unreasonable amounts of juice with even the most basic setup. I used to use advanced power generation for nuclear power too but Rimatomics blows it out of the water :science:

This looks extremely much like my thing.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

You know what I haven't done in a while? Injecting grizzly bears with luciferium and pod dropping them on tribals. Great fun. Super effort.

Worked with Thrumbos last I tried.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

honestly that's the only use for luci i've ever really been able to come up with. by the time i'm able to secure a good stockpile of it so i don't feel horrified about using it on a colonist, i'm entering the final act of the game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

honestly that's the only use for luci i've ever really been able to come up with. by the time i'm able to secure a good stockpile of it so i don't feel horrified about using it on a colonist, i'm entering the final act of the game.

If I could get a steady supply I might use it for a handful of space marine officers perhaps. Maybe I should get a mod for producing it just to see how old they get and how long they last.

My most senior veteran officer "Marry" is 52 and in some saves she just died randomly of a heart attack half a decade ago so I don't know how much longer she has.

Katt fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 2, 2018

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

If I could get a steady supply I might use it for a handful of space marine officers perhaps. Maybe I should get a mod for producing it just to see how old they get and how long they last.

My most senior veteran officer "Marry" is 52 and in some saves she just died randomly of a heart attack half a decade ago so I don't know how much longer she has.

But whats the point in luciferium if you don't have to go on insane deadly quests for the next fix? I won't touch it with a barge pole normally but its a really interesting dynamic if you're invested in a pawn's wellbeing.

Speaking of, do most people play it just like pawns are things with good and bad stats or more happy families like me? Every playthrough I encounter one or two pawns (or animals) that I really get invested in and at least one who has done something that I find unforgivable. They might be the best pawn in terms of stats but they've done something lovely and I end up devising some death trip for them rather than just kicking them out.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

wit posted:

But whats the point in luciferium if you don't have to go on insane deadly quests for the next fix? I won't touch it with a barge pole normally but its a really interesting dynamic if you're invested in a pawn's wellbeing.

I guess it's just too severe for the :effort: Too random.

I tend to split them into soldiers, crafters and doctors.
Pyromaniacs/brawlers/those that can't do violence I harvest the organs from and cremate.

During a raid soldiers are in the front and crafters are in the back and doctors even further back and usually never fight. Doctors are armed and do join shooting practise, because when you live in the coldest parts, the game will spawn random polar bears without warning that attacks a pawn. You only find out when the bear is in melee distance and at that point it's too late unless the pawn has decent armour and can shoot.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like having a few brawlers around.

But pyromaniacs? Yeah, if they’re not gonna get me a faction boost, into the electric smelter they go to make compost.

I’ve got More Traits mod so often that also includes Inept. They’re not dangerous.... just... not useful if they’re not a shooter or a jogger for hauling.

I lost three colonists in a tribal raid today - the largest non-colony ending loss I’ve had in awhile. I’ve definitely got replacements, but ouch. I’ve just hit the 2nd row of colonists at the top of the screen with two births, so I’m excited about colony growth but trying to figure out how to keep my animals fed..... I’m thinking tons of hardtack, but I need to do some calculations vs hay - Rimcuisine mod.

I managed to tame two female and one male Titanis (giant terror bird) from a manhunter pack of 9 with the 1% tame on heal thing, so I’m breeding a set of fast mounts.

I’m at the point where I think I’ll start bionicing up my muffalos for caravan duty. Bionic spines in all just work, but I need to build some roads out from base to speed up caravans.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I make pyros/psychos/etc as part of raiding squads. Who cares if they light everything on fire if it's someone else's land that's burning.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

counterfeitsaint posted:

They've been removed and replaced with the ribcage in 1.0, for what it's worth

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Allyn posted:

They've been removed and replaced with the ribcage in 1.0, for what it's worth

Is 1.0 out yet?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Is 1.0 out yet?

In open beta

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Technically 1.0 is in pre-alpha experimental build. Which in modern indie video game parlance, yeah, open beta.

So what is the point of the smelter, do you actually get something back for burning people in it, is it mod only? I've never felt the need to go beyond my "pile of rotting corpses hidden around a corner" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

So what is the point of the smelter, do you actually get something back for burning people in it, is it mod only? I've never felt the need to go beyond my "pile of rotting corpses hidden around a corner" strategy.

Some mods use it, but after a certain point you getting attacked by such a large raids you might need someone on full time body burning duty