Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

I mean it was. From lemillion destroying overhaul and the latter only surviving from his minion reversing time to heal him

Thats not what happened. Overhaul kept healing himself but he was still losing. His minion shot a quirk destroying bullet at Eri, knowing that Mirio would take the shot for her, which would allow Overhaul to beat him, which he did thought he still got punched a bunch.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Overhaul got unmerged from his goons by the time Deku fought him proper thanks to Eri reversing some stuff. He just turned himself into an enormous concrete monster from nearby buildings/ and streets immediately afterward. Which made him even stronger than when he was merged.

Not that it really matters, because both Mirio and Deku were broken up about not doing more to help Eri. But even though that’s the case neither the characters nor the story really use that to show “oh, Deku is more heroic than Mirio”. Determining whether Deku or Mirio is the better hero isn’t really something the Overhaul arc explores at all, and if it’s just trying to be subtle about it it doesn’t do a great job. If only because Deku’s role in the arc wasn’t super well done while Mirio was very well executed and makes him come off as one of the most ideal heroes in the comic.
Actully Overhaul did merge with a goon again along with the concrete and stuff. But I agree with you that he did not need to, as he was still winning anyway against normal Deku until Eri gave him the powerup.

Added on Deku knew not to let Chisaki touch him in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I didn't know about that. I'll have to look those up after work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRsxiiCw08

Overhaul is an obvious blend of classical Japanese instruments, but with a corrupted angle and modern elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEGlGe9BBnk

Mirio's track literally belongs to a genre called glitch hop.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

No way. There's still stuff to adapt, and this isn't a forever-running anime like One Piece. If it ends up too close to the manga, it can just stop for a year or so, or give a 12-episode season rather than a 24-episode one.

It's not going into filler hell, by format it can't.

Seriously, I'm so happy that this show has a seasonal format and the quality's as good as it is. Besides One Piece, are there any other holdouts of the old "once a week forever" format?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DizzyBum posted:

Seriously, I'm so happy that this show has a seasonal format and the quality's as good as it is. Besides One Piece, are there any other holdouts of the old "once a week forever" format?

Black Clover. It's... not good, and the anime apparently makes it worse

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

We are 54 episodes in and have reached Chapter 106. If the pacing stays at 2 chapters/ep, that'll get us to 122, which will cover the introduction of Overhaul, the Deku/Bakugo fight, and the introduction of the top three, but there will be no dumpstering of Class 1A by Mirio unless they get through 124.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover got Studio Pierrot and they did what they usually do to anything. Filler, outsourced episodes, understaffing, somehow still having good OPs/EDs,etc

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I wrote off the black clover anime the second I saw studio pierrot attached to it

it does at least sound better than their twin star exorcists adaption tho

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Black Clover got Studio Pierrot and they did what they usually do to anything. Filler, outsourced episodes, understaffing, somehow still having good OPs/EDs,etc

I remember they were hired out to animate some Legend of Korra episodes and the results were... not good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Terper posted:

Overhaul is an obvious blend of classical Japanese instruments, but with a corrupted angle and modern elements.

It's trap. Ethnic trap, but it's trap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Onmi posted:

I think you forgot how the actual fights with Overhaul went, the only reason Mirio 'lost' was because he had to protect Eri from the quirk-eraser he thought was an actual bullet, before that, he literally trounced Overhaul before the man could do anything to him. Mirio's entire ability is based around NOT BEING TOUCHED, And you think Mirio not knowing that Overhaul's power is based on touching would have mattered at all, because the guy who's entire fighting style revolved around not letting himself be touched, would have let himself be touched?

I feel like the most realistic outcome (that doesn't involve Deku being surprised and exploded by Overhaul) is something along the lines of "they get Eri away, but Overhaul then loses his poo poo and turns into the big monster form and murders hundreds of people as he rampages to try and get Eri back," which isn't exactly a good outcome.

It also requires assuming that Deku's ability to judge a situation like this is 100% accurate, since the darker side of this is Deku potentially abducting a kid from their parent who isn't actually abusive (or one who is abusive but creating a legal clusterfuck that ends with the parent getting the kid back due to Deku's abduction).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ytlaya posted:

It also requires assuming that Deku's ability to judge a situation like this is 100% accurate, since the darker side of this is Deku potentially abducting a kid from their parent who isn't actually abusive (or one who is abusive but creating a legal clusterfuck that ends with the parent getting the kid back due to Deku's abduction).

Also, taking an abused child from their abuser isn't in the purview of a (licensed) hero, because it's not a disaster or a villainous use of a quirk. That being said, with the knowledge that they had on hand, wanting to take Eri away from somebody she was clearly afraid of is absolutely in the spirit of heroism.

Both Mirio's and Deku's instincts were right.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going back to the nice scar line, I only just noticed that Todoroki's older brother joins in with the slurping which makes the scene so much better.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Terper posted:

Thank you! These are more perfect than I could have hoped.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

BioThermo posted:

there will be no dumpstering of Class 1A by Mirio unless they get through 124.

this season is poo poo

not really but the wait for that will kill me. i am too late to contribute to the mirio hype train but he's my boy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I really hope the Internship/Overhaul arc is compressed a bit, because by chapters, it's pretty much enough material for an entire 24 episode season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I really hope the Internship/Overhaul arc is compressed a bit, because by chapters, it's pretty much enough material for an entire 24 episode season.

Half of the chapters are dedicated to fights, though, which tend to get converted at a 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 ratio.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Deku was here, Mirio is a loser.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shinjobi posted:

Deku was here, Mirio is a loser.

I mean Deku acts all hero worship-y to the rear end in a top hat kid that beat the poo poo out of him for years and has no redeeming qualities as a human being, he's like the textbook definition of a loser.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

I mean Deku acts all hero worship-y to the rear end in a top hat kid that beat the poo poo out of him for years and has no redeeming qualities as a human being, he's like the textbook definition of a loser.

This is the type of hot take I would be expecting from someone who has only watched the 1st and maybe the 2nd season of the anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

Redeeming qualities for Bakugo, an incomplete list

1) Brave, to an absurd degree
2) Highly intelligent
3) Determined in the face of adversity
4) Sets high goals and achieves them (Note how he was one of two students from his crap-rear end school who got into the best hero school in the country. Note how, unlike Deku, he did it without being coached by Japan's number 1 hero.)
5) Wants to be a hero. Although early weirdness had him declare this was primarily for fiscal reasons, later developments confirmed this was because he admires ALL MIGHT, THE SYMBOL OF PEACE.
6) Genuine competence in his field of expertise.
7) gently caress YOU! (This entry sponsored by Katsuki Bakugo)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugou becoming a better person in the present doesn’t really change that he was a terrible rear end in a top hat to Deku throughout their childhood for no real reason.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

otoh his moms hot

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

4) Sets high goals and achieves them (Note how he was one of two students from his crap-rear end school who got into the best hero school in the country. Note how, unlike Deku, he did it without being coached by Japan's number 1 hero.)

It is sorta neat how Bakugou is so strong without a mentor figure.

Deku has All Might.
Todoroki (as much as he hated it) was trained by his piece of poo poo dad.
Bakugou didn't really have any mentors, and even though he did spend some time with Best Jeanist, most of that was just Jeanist trying (and failing) to fix Bakugou's poo poo personality.

Bakugou seems to be mostly self-taught and yet he's still one of the strongest 1st years in UA.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A proper mentor when he was younger would probably have done wonders for Bakugou's collection of complexes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Terper posted:

Holy poo poo these are :krad:

Mirio's theme sounds like it could belong in Beatmania IIDX.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bakugou becoming a better person in the present doesn’t really change that he was a terrible rear end in a top hat to Deku throughout their childhood for no real reason.

Bakukou could easily compartmentalize as extras almost everybody that was growing up besides Deku who despite being the weakest of the weak never seemed to accept his place and this freaked Bakugou out and so he was always desperately trying to crush Deku so that everything would make sense.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Bakukou could easily compartmentalize as extras almost everybody that was growing up besides Deku who despite being the weakest of the weak never seemed to accept his place and this freaked Bakugou out and so he was always desperately trying to crush Deku so that everything would make sense.

I guess I shouldn’t have said ‘no reason’. More like ‘Bakugou was an rear end in a top hat to Deku for a lovely reason that doesn’t really make his actions at all sympathetic’. Like man, that guy was a lovely kid. And a lovely teen until recently. Glad he’s finally beginning to grow up and mature.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

chiasaur11 posted:

1) Brave, to an absurd degree

Self-absorbed rear end in a top hat, check.

quote:

2) Highly intelligent

Never used to practically help anyone but himself, check.

quote:

3) Determined in the face of adversity

That's just 1 again, you couldn't go 3 without repeating yourself.

quote:

Failed to get his license first time out, because he's such an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

5) Wants to be a hero. Although early weirdness had him declare this was primarily for fiscal reasons, later developments confirmed this was because he admires ALL MIGHT, THE SYMBOL OF PEACE.

Self-absorbed rear end in a top hat idolizes most renown human on the planet, wishes to be in the same position, shock.

quote:

6) Genuine competence in his field of expertise.

He's not even the best fire dude in his class.

There's literally no reason for Deku to give a poo poo about this utter prick that abused him and made his life miserable, and it's some real.....and I hate to say this, but here we are.....it's some real Sasuke poo poo. This dude isn't your friend, he's not even a good person, and he's totally not worth your effort. Everything about Deku and Bakugou just makes Deku look weak and pathetic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku is exactly the sort of person who would still admire Bakugou despite everything. He is kind of a dweeb.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Redtext speaks for itself.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Actually Bakugou is great:

(On a related note, Sero's pretty great too)

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I haven't read the manga in the while but I got through the overhaul arc and I just wanted to say now that its come up again:
- Mirio living for multiple minutes after getting shot was dumb. How do you do anything as a normal human against a guy that can instagib anyone with a touch? If I remember the author didn't even show that part, just had narration saying it, because he probably couldn't think of how either. Mirio should have died or Deku should have shown up immediately.
- Overhaul's quirk is op as gently caress and I dislike the idea of it existing. I feel like he could have instagibbed any hero who wasn't specifically Mirio so why wasn't he doing more crimes or something. He had no reason to be afraid of All Might and no one even knows All for One is a thing. I also feel like All for One would definitely want that quirk and would have taken it.

Thanks for listening.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might in his prime wouldn't have to even get close to Overhaul to totally dust him.

OFA wanting Overhaul's quirk would've made a lot of sense but who knows if AFO knew about him before he got his torso punched off by All Might 5 years ago.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

I haven't read the manga in the while but I got through the overhaul arc and I just wanted to say now that its come up again:
- Mirio living for multiple minutes after getting shot was dumb. How do you do anything as a normal human against a guy that can instagib anyone with a touch? If I remember the author didn't even show that part, just had narration saying it, because he probably couldn't think of how either. Mirio should have died or Deku should have shown up immediately.
- Overhaul's quirk is op as gently caress and I dislike the idea of it existing. I feel like he could have instagibbed any hero who wasn't specifically Mirio so why wasn't he doing more crimes or something. He had no reason to be afraid of All Might and no one even knows All for One is a thing. I also feel like All for One would definitely want that quirk and would have taken it.

Thanks for listening.

1) Mirio's whole fighting style was taught by Nighteye, and it can be summed up in the following words of wisdom:

"Don't get hit."

He's an expert at anticipating enemy movements and evading them, even aside from his power, and Overhaul's quirk requires getting a hit in. Mirio keeping up evasion for so long is a remarkable feat, but that comes with being a hero in a Shonen fight manga.

2) Again, he needs to get a hit. Even ignoring Aizawa, who would have wiped the floor with Overhaul one on one, you look at the top heroes, and a lot of them have range. At minimum, Endeavor could flash fry Overhaul without any risk, and Hawks could play keep away with a feather barrage. Hell, in 1-A, Bakugo and Shoto could have been dangerous, and they're still first year students.

He's got a great quirk, but as soon as it's in the open, his counters are in the open, and then Snipe detonates his skull.

Knowledge is power, guard it well, as they say.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mulva posted:

I agree, Deku sucks. Make Shouji the protagonist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RareAcumen posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Mina.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Mina.

Make Mina the rival.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

1) Mirio's whole fighting style was taught by Nighteye, and it can be summed up in the following words of wisdom
2) Again, he needs to get a hit. Even ignoring Aizawa, who would have wiped the floor with Overhaul one on one, you look at the top heroes, and a lot of them have range. At minimum, Endeavor could flash fry Overhaul without any risk, and Hawks could play keep away with a feather barrage. Hell, in 1-A, Bakugo and Shoto could have been dangerous, and they're still first year students.

He had to protect the girl so it's not like he's going to be mobile. And as you say, as long as Overhaul doesn't announce his power he's got the upper hand. He could just fake surrender then instagib anyone when they walk up to arrest him. Also I forgot that he could make those spikes come out of the ground, which kind of blows the "just use ranged attacks" thing out of the water as well. I think that's why I found the whole Mirio living thing preposterous.

RareAcumen posted:

Murder all the students and have Eraserhead be the protagonist getting revengeance for them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Redtext speaks for itself.

I know the truth hurts you but you have to find a way to live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sounds like someone got wedgied a little too hard in bygone days