Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's Westing Game?

Well well well look who never went to fifth grade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
also I will pre-emptively spoil the westing game because its a childrens book if you choose it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well well well look who never went to fifth grade

I no joke had a serious problem in grade school where I was always reading waaaay over grade level but there were "write a report" requirements to get class credit for each book and it's a hell of a lot easier to write a book report about Clifford the Big Red Dog than to write about Watership Down

Long story short everyone else got to go to an ice cream party for book readers, except me

I also never won spelling bees because the teachers would give me crazy hard words to make it "fair"

In short I was the Harrison Bergeron of children's books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I no joke had a serious problem in grade school where I was always reading waaaay over grade level but there were "write a report" requirements to get class credit for each book and it's a hell of a lot easier to write a book report about Clifford the Big Red Dog than to write about Watership Down

Long story short everyone else got to go to an ice cream party for book readers, except me

I also never won spelling bees because the teachers would give me crazy hard words to make it "fair"

I constantly underachieved because I was just too smart - a man in terrible denial

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Look, the important thing here is how long my many enemies have been plotting against me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also I just found out Beverly Cleary is somehow still alive

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

meanwhile, as a consummate man of letters, I was racking up that book it pizza with a flurry of animorphs

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Westing Game is a legit good choice. If you don't want YA, then Wolf in White Van is the best book I read in 2017.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bilirubin posted:

Like actual dinosaurs? Steve Brusatte's book The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs has been getting decent press. Have not read it myself though

Hey, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Actual dinosaurs are cool and hopefully this book will be just as neat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

Westing Game is a legit good choice. If you don't want YA, then Wolf in White Van is the best book I read in 2017.

We've had kinda literary stuff for a few months now so I'm kinda thinking something lighter.

Maybe I'll go with All Creatures Great and Small, it's a perfect happy book

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The collected poems of Catullus for botm

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

The collected poems of Catullus for botm

Why not Martial

quote:

"Rumor tells, Chiona, that you are a virgin,
and that nothing is purer than your fleshy delights.
Nevertheless, you do not bathe with the correct part covered:
if you have the decency, move your panties onto your face."

quote:

With your giant nose and cock
I bet you can with ease
When you get excited
check the end for cheese.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 30, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Wolf in White Van is the best book I read in 2017.

Then I guess you should...

*puts on sunglasses*

....have read a second book

*cigarette smoke spells out Johnny*

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Why not Martial

Still pretty good for a young footballer tbh

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

One volume of Outlaws of the Marsh for the next four months

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Actual dinosaurs are cool and hopefully this book will be just as neat.

Well LMK if it doesn't work via PMs, as I might have some other suggestions, but that one is the most recent.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Re: botm
Night Film by Marisha Pessl is a book I would enjoy discussing with other people who read it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rand Brittain posted:

What are some good options for soothing books about nothing? I really enjoy the parts at the beginning of murder mysteries when they aren’t murdering yet and just spend ten pages on how they run a hotel. I could use some books that do that for the whole run.

Crocodile on the sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. First one on the Peabody mysteries, very funny series gently follows a family of archeologists through the years. The murders are there to further the overarching plot (you have to read them in order) and the secondary story of Egypt both in the past and as it changes under colonialism through the wars.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Re: botm
Night Film by Marisha Pessl is a book I would enjoy discussing with other people who read it

I like Night Film a lot, but it's not a good fit for BotM. Too long, for one, the print version is upwards of 600 pages. Also I doubt it would pull in either the people who only do the casual or pulpy BotMs or the people who only do the literary ones.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

In short I was the Harrison Bergeron of children's books

Hahaha.

Has The Lathe of Heaven ever been BOTM? I'm about due for a reread...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My brother's birthday is coming up and he's been fascinated with ancient mysteries and technology lately. He's been watching a lot of documentaries and youtube seminars and such. His interests include ancient middle eastern mythology, the pyramids, and people in modern day who figure out stuff like moving giant rocks by hand using tiny stones underneath them and other physics or magnetism tricks. Stuff like this on ancientexplorers.com I guess. He absolutely has no interest or patience in the ancient aliens stuff and gets in arguments with my nearly-ancient-himself grandfather over it. The only book he currently has that is remotely in that mold is Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan but he's had that since the 90s.

For fiction he was obsessed with Malazan when books 7-10 were new. Lately he's only read Sanderson's Way of Kings series (dislikes Mistborn), and he's so mad at Martin and Rothfuss that I don't think he'll read anything they ever get around to publishing again.

Can anyone recommend anything? There's a ton of well rated stuff on amazon but if possible I'd rather hear from someone than guess. If I can't find anything good I'll have to go the troll route and wrap up my complete Stargate SG1 dvd cube.

Burke
Jul 27, 2005

Simba-Witz!
Any good ~20-30 hour audiobook recommendations? I'm driving halfway across the country this weekend and need something to keep me off the median. Last time I did a big drive like this I re-read/listened to the Baroque cycle which is great and I might do it again but I may want to go with something new instead.

I'm almost done with the second Malazan book so I could continue those. I've liked them so far but haven't really loved them. I've read the first third of the black company series so I could continue those too but I started losing interest. I'm not ready for another read of Infinite Jest, especially with the audiobook nonsense with the endnotes. It's too soon for more Cormac McCarthy or Neal Stephenson. I've recently reread Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell so that's out too. I like Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora a lot but sadly Red Mars didn't do it for me for some reason, I could give it another try but I'm skeptical. I have yet to finish Mieville's Iron Council even though I loved the other two. Embassytown was pretty boss too. Maybe The City & the City?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I've been lurking this thread for many years and it's been wildly helpful at pointing me towards stuff I actually like (Blindsight was great) so thanks for that!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The moonstone by Wilkie Collins. :) Genesis for detective and suspense novels but outstanding in it’s own right, you can play spot the influence on any novel written since, in part because of his use of multiple narrators - It’s not boring or turgid either which was the big reason it was so influential. His follow up novel the woman in white was the first sensational novel, but after that he kind of ran out of steam.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Burke posted:

I'm almost done with the second Malazan book so I could continue those. I've liked them so far but haven't really loved them.

The third Malazon book, Memories of Ice, is widely considered to be one of the best of them. If you've liked the first two, it's worth a shot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Burke posted:

Any good ~20-30 hour audiobook recommendations? I'm driving halfway across the country this weekend and need something to keep me off the median. Last time I did a big drive like this I re-read/listened to the Baroque cycle which is great and I might do it again but I may want to go with something new instead.

I'm almost done with the second Malazan book so I could continue those. I've liked them so far but haven't really loved them. I've read the first third of the black company series so I could continue those too but I started losing interest. I'm not ready for another read of Infinite Jest, especially with the audiobook nonsense with the endnotes. It's too soon for more Cormac McCarthy or Neal Stephenson. I've recently reread Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell so that's out too. I like Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora a lot but sadly Red Mars didn't do it for me for some reason, I could give it another try but I'm skeptical. I have yet to finish Mieville's Iron Council even though I loved the other two. Embassytown was pretty boss too. Maybe The City & the City?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I've been lurking this thread for many years and it's been wildly helpful at pointing me towards stuff I actually like (Blindsight was great) so thanks for that!

Vandermeer’s Borne, Children of Time by Tchaikovsky, maybe Seveneves.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

bagrada posted:

For fiction he was obsessed with Malazan when books 7-10 were new. Lately he's only read Sanderson's Way of Kings series (dislikes Mistborn), and he's so mad at Martin and Rothfuss that I don't think he'll read anything they ever get around to publishing again.

Maybe Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy? Good, grimdark fantasy (but not as grimdark as Malazan) and it's complete, so no waiting around for the next book.

Burke posted:

Any good ~20-30 hour audiobook recommendations?

(Blindsight was great)

The follow up to Blindsight, Echopraxia, is a 12.5hr audio book. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either his newest book, Freeze Frame Revolution, or his older Rifters trilogy have audiobook versions listed on Amazon but I don't have Audible to double check.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Burke posted:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, its one of the best blends of genre I've ever read. It goes from Melvillian travellogue to the post apocalypse. The book does incredible things with structure and the audiobook has a bunch of different narrators that all do an amazing job.

Burke
Jul 27, 2005

Simba-Witz!
Great suggestions, thanks folks! I've read a bunch of them (Children of Time was amazing) but Cloud Atlas is an interesting idea. Been on my list for a while. Hopefully the movie didn't ruin the book too much for me.

I'm glad to hear that the Malazan series keeps being good. I keep listening to it on planes and dozing so I wind up having to go back fairly often. Maybe that's why I'm struggling with it a bit. It is very good so far and the voice actor for the audiobooks is superb.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Lawen posted:

Maybe Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy? Good, grimdark fantasy (but not as grimdark as Malazan) and it's complete, so no waiting around for the next book.

Thanks I think he may have read either those or Best Served Cold, I'll have to ask. I checked to see if I've missed any books since reading those myself and it looks like Abercrombie moved into YA.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Burke posted:

Blackwater trilogy

Burke
Jul 27, 2005

Simba-Witz!

Junkie Disease posted:

Blackwater trilogy
I'm seeing a Blackwater trilogy by Michael McNamara but no audiobook for it. I also see a Blackwater Lights trilogy by Michael Hughes but that has no audiobook either. On Audible I see Blackwater: the complete saga (30 hrs) which I think was 6 paperbacks . Which one did you mean?

I made it through the first third of the trip finishing up Deadhouse Gates. It got a lot more engrossing in the last half and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to starting book 3 on the drive tomorrow.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

McDowell's Blackwater
Its wonderful

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, Malcolm McDowell's Blackwater isn't a trilogy it's a sextet

Burke
Jul 27, 2005

Simba-Witz!

Junkie Disease posted:

McDowell's Blackwater
Its wonderful

That did seem the more likely one. I haven't done much southern gothic but I think I could dig it. Thanks!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, Malcolm McDowell's Blackwater isn't a trilogy it's a sextet

Michael lol

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Clearly they mean to be reading the epic southern gothic sextet by famed Doobie Brother Michael McDonald, duh

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Clearly they mean to be reading the epic southern gothic sextet by famed Doobie Brother Michael McDonald, duh

Any books read aloud by Joe Don Baker?

Tom Yum
May 6, 2013
I just finished John Fowles' The Magus and liked it a lot. I'd like to read something else in that vein of eerie trippiness, maybe with more of a supernatural edge to it and/or a slightly more comprehensible plot.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tom Yum posted:

I just finished John Fowles' The Magus and liked it a lot. I'd like to read something else in that vein of eerie trippiness, maybe with more of a supernatural edge to it and/or a slightly more comprehensible plot.

gustav meyrink's the golem

e: giorgio de maria's twenty days of turin

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Yum
May 6, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

e: giorgio de maria's twenty days of turin

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!