Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been warping for hours trying to find a good planet for a base. Every "paradise" or "lush" planet I find has those insanely annoying Superheated Rainstorms.

I think in general they need to turn the frequency of storms wayyyyyyy down. It's not adding fun to the game to have storms last for 5 minutes and then only clear up for 5 minutes. Like on some planets yeah it makes sense to have them be constantly ravaged by storms but it seems like right now every planet with the "storms" modifier runs on the same clock, you get a storm every few minutes with no variance which is kinda not fun =\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh, found it, never mind.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 2, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Are those the bipedal ones? 'Cause I killed 3 of em the other night with a shotgun :clint:

Any idea how the various guns measure up? I went for the sniper and it's pretty wonderful if a bit carbon-hungry.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

precision posted:

I've been warping for hours trying to find a good planet for a base. Every "paradise" or "lush" planet I find has those insanely annoying Superheated Rainstorms.

I think in general they need to turn the frequency of storms wayyyyyyy down. It's not adding fun to the game to have storms last for 5 minutes and then only clear up for 5 minutes. Like on some planets yeah it makes sense to have them be constantly ravaged by storms but it seems like right now every planet with the "storms" modifier runs on the same clock, you get a storm every few minutes with no variance which is kinda not fun =\

I found a “Rainy” world with no rain and no storms at all. Building my base there. Keep an eye on those rainy worlds.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ there are other descriptors that are clues, too, like “blissful”.

precision posted:

it seems like right now every planet with the "storms" modifier runs on the same clock, you get a storm every few minutes with no variance which is kinda not fun =\
I don’t doubt it seems like that, but it’s definitely not the case.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

precision posted:

I think in general they need to turn the frequency of storms wayyyyyyy down. It's not adding fun to the game to have storms last fo 5 minutes and then only clear up for 5 minutes.

It's weird, it's definitely only been a thing since NEXT came out. It's one upside to to mods on the PC version though. One right now lets you choose intervals for storms - I've got them set to every 15-90 min (on planets that have them) and it's made all the lush planets so much more bearable and nice to be on.

There's another that changed lowers the frequency of having storms at all, but they're fine for me just being more spaced out.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 2, 2018

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

drat, my first-ever encounter with the Star Destroyer freighter, and it was under attack. Saved it, but it was $6m more than I had (though it was only C-class with 26 slots).

I guess you don't get to trade in your current freighter to curb the costs.

Finally went on a run through Manufacturing facilities and grabbed a bunch of blueprints. Don't think I'm to moneymaking central yet, but I'm getting there. I just lazily flew at moderate altitude in a straight line towards a destination a half-hour's flight away, over a planet with limited terrain variation and not a dense covering of flora. Fly just beneath the cloud layer in third-person view, and you get a pretty good view of the territory. Desert planet I was on didn't even have any storms, which helped a ton. Probably got 10 blueprints in an hour or so. Learn what the factory building for the system's species looks like, and you can skip the comm towers, observatories, horrors, settlements, and shelters. Probably got another 10 exosuit expansions along the way, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So has anyone progressed far enough down the Atlas path to know what you do with the weird recipes the Atlas stations give you?

Polo just gave me the Atlas Pass v2. Woo. But man I need to find a system for a base!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

So has anyone progressed far enough down the Atlas path to know what you do with the weird recipes the Atlas stations give you?

Polo just gave me the Atlas Pass v2. Woo. But man I need to find a system for a base!

Each one is a component in the next, so it serves as a marker of your progression along the path. I think pre-next there was something similar but they didn't stack so you gave up 10 inventory slots or whatever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there anyway to stop sentinels from chasing g you in space? I got into a bad situation where they wouldn't stop spawning, and the nearest thing to me was 20 minutes away. I just quit because gently caress that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

Each one is a component in the next, so it serves as a marker of your progression along the path. I think pre-next there was something similar but they didn't stack so you gave up 10 inventory slots or whatever.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

Just found an underwater cave system with oxygen-replinishing plants all over so I could actually explore it.

Surely there's some way to get infinite oxygen though, I want to explore those planets that are completely underwater dammit.

EC posted:

Is there anyway to stop sentinels from chasing g you in space?

Not currently.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I had this when it first came out and couldn’t get into it. Reinstalling now because of the NEXT update. Looking forward to playing it after work later.

Any starting tips you guys can give me?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I think I'll take a break from this until they fix the sentinel wanted levels.

Any chance anyone found out if you can do the main quest while ignoring base-building and freighters?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chrs Gry posted:

I had this when it first came out and couldn’t get into it. Reinstalling now because of the NEXT update. Looking forward to playing it after work later.

I've been putting tips in the second post, check it out!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Chrs Gry posted:

Check out the second post of this thread.

Also https://imgur.com/gallery/sraVsQ0

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Bum the Sad posted:

I just stood in an observatory building while I made dinner.

Yeh I built a room then went afk for a while.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Holy poo poo, you can sell upgrade modules to npc vendors for nanites :psyduck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kxZyle posted:

Any chance anyone found out if you can do the main quest while ignoring base-building and freighters?

You may be able to do the Atlas path without a base, but the Artemis story will eventually intersect base building and require something you unlock that way. Freighters seem to be ignorable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

precision posted:

If you're struggling with this, do what I did and look for S-Tier Environment Modules for each different hazard type (Radiation, Heat, Cold, Toxic) and equip them all. Go mine (or just buy if you're space-rich) whatever mats you need to keep those things topped off and never worry about it again!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

explosivo posted:

If you're struggling with this, do what I did and look for S-Tier Environment Modules for each different hazard type (Radiation, Heat, Cold, Toxic) and equip them all. Go mine (or just buy if you're space-rich) whatever mats you need to keep those things topped off and never worry about it again!

How much time does one S-time module give you?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

You may be able to do the Atlas path without a base, but the Artemis story will eventually intersect base building and require something you unlock that way. Freighters seem to be ignorable.

Okay, I guess I can live with base building. Fleet management was my big bugbear. Thanks :3:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I dunno, 10 minutes probably? You can't stack the bonuses on those either, equipping multiples of the same type of shield doesn't change the duration. So I just keep a stack of each material on hand to charge them and keep an eye on it while running around. Once I get the "Life Support Systems In Use" message that pops up I know it's time to recharge.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you have the module equipped, the visor no longer shows "time to critical exposure". There's no HUD info unless you go into the inventory or the quick charge menu, but like with the regular hazard protection module, it varies depending on how severe the weather is.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Oh boy am I loving this game now. Have sunk in 50 hours and still not bored. Great game to wake up to with some coffee and fall asleep to stoned. Last night I played for about three hours then hopped into the car to grab some beers and still felt like I was flying my ship around. Can't wait for whatever events hello games comes up with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They definitely need to nerf storms. Mods are cool but the game is already unstable as it is, and a ton of people also seem to be on console. Luckily on my fresh save I spawned in a system with 2 lush planets, one of which has no storms. I think lush planets with superheated storms are BS. Why not just peaceful normal storms at least? Imagine how awesome it would be to have a chill rainy planet?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Most superheated storms seem triggered by scripted events

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kikas posted:

If you have the module equipped, the visor no longer shows "time to critical exposure". There's no HUD info unless you go into the inventory or the quick charge menu, but like with the regular hazard protection module, it varies depending on how severe the weather is.

This is actually a downgrade from pre-Next, which would show a separate secondary progress indicator for the hazard-specific protection above the bar for general protection. SEAN :kratos:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I found a planet with ton of various building, there is like a manufacturing facility or observatory between every other hill.
It was in a rich system, I don't know if it helps, same with the hills. It seem that flying low and popping above hills make more building spawn compared to flying at high altitude and scanning.
Anyway I got load of blueprints from exploring it.

Also, are abandoned building crap? I only get some nanite from them beside the murder eggs.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kikas posted:

I can see the time to critical exposure countdown if I have the scanner up with my cold shield equipped. Scanner screen also shows quest progression which is really handy since the main HUD randomly decides when to show you quests you have selected.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What are the rule for avatar and ship placement when teleporting to base beacon?
It is a shame that the ship isn't snapped to nearby launchpad when doing so as it would make things neat and save fuel.
I am getting sick of glitching into nearby building and being catapulted away or having my fat hauler blocking the doorway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krogort posted:

What are the rule for avatar and ship placement when teleporting to base beacon?
It is a shame that the ship isn't snapped to nearby launchpad when doing so as it would make things neat and save fuel.
I am getting sick of glitching into nearby building and being catapulted away or having my fat hauler blocking the doorway.

you eventually can craft/build a landing beacon or a landing pad and the ship will default to it when you teleport to the base.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I keep teleporting my character directly on top of my Base Computer. I feel like this started after the last patch.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

you eventually can craft/build a landing beacon or a landing pad and the ship will default to it when you teleport to the base.

My ship refuses to ever spawn on the landing pad when I teleport back to base, so I'm not sure if this is working as intended. It definitely used to when I was playing last summer.

Base spawning is weird in general. I used to spawn in on top of my base computer, but then, when my game bugged out and showed me my base computer as being a floating ball of water in the middle of space several systems away, I attempted to build another base computer not far from my original. I then deleted it when it didn't work, but I now spawn at that spot anyway.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 2, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Azhais posted:

The first one is free. You'll encounter space battles again

Ok, so, just to be clear, I will never again have the option to get a free freighter? And for that matter, the captain was letting me transfer items to the freighter's inventory.

It was very weird and I am still extremely confused about whether I have a freighter now or not.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

1.53 is out on PS4. Don't have the patch notes at hand though.

E: I guess it's the same as it is on PC:

Bug fixes:

Fix to restore savegames for players affected by a specific issue with freighter expeditions
Fix for an occasional white screen crash during loading
Fix for frigates not reporting their damaged state correctly
Fix for an issue that could block players in the “fuel the warp drive” stage of the tutorial
Fix for repairing broken ship slots in Creative Mode
Improvements to exocraft laser damage
Improvements for animations while turning, jetpacking, and standing on objects
Memory optimisations to improve stability
Preventative fix for potential stability issue with mission handling

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PantsBandit posted:

Ok, so, just to be clear, I will never again have the option to get a free freighter? And for that matter, the captain was letting me transfer items to the freighter's inventory.

It was very weird and I am still extremely confused about whether I have a freighter now or not.

I'm pretty sure "The first one is free" means if you declined that one the next one you run into will also let you get it for free. Since you don't have one yet at that point. At least that's what I've been led to believe - you can decline the frigate and roll the die that the next one you get will be an S-Ranked or something better which you'll then get for free.

Also I did the same and they let me transfer stuff into the freighter too. I was very confused at first because I thought I accidentally accepted the ship. I have no idea why it would let you do that. I'm glad I realized what was going on and transferred all my stuff back before leaving the system.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there anything cool to see off-planet or is it all just asteroid fields and a station here or there?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I had the same bug on my old save. Reported it, but yeah you didn't actually get the freighter. You can't call it, and the game says you don't own it. I lost a bunch of items too because I transferred stuff over before I realized I was bugged.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

kxZyle posted:

See you on No Man's Sky 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there anything cool to see off-planet or is it all just asteroid fields and a station here or there?

Pretty much just that and freighter fleets. Sometimes there's a storyline-related station with a unique model.