Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

When will anyone learn that no one gives a gently caress about public apologies for anything?

Never apologize for anything. Own your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it is insanely dangerous that they made her put a statement out like this

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

tag yourself, I'm the blinking cursor on the first line

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dangerously civil

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I love the replies.

"So I guess racism is okay when the target is white people"

Because unirocally yes

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile, Bari Weiss just deleted her "Ideas for Columns" folder because the work is done for her now.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lotta angry nazis in the replies to that tweet lol

the NYT is of course going to carefully consider their opinion and get more racist

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the NYT is of course going to carefully consider their opinion and get more racist

you can't get more racist than the NYT

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Oh lol. Ity's like Bari Weiss was literally writing articles condoning ethnic cleansing, but the new hire said uncourteous things about white people and now we have to have a collective freak out. :fuckoff:. Seriously funny though that the Times is codelling the racist suburbanites.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

coathat posted:

That’s the biggest strike against her yet.

Correction: it may have also been for her reporting on the Google vs. Oracle lawsuits including this classic tweet

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/730429298608209921?lang=en

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sarah's greatest crime is not advocating for an ethnostate and for mass genocide

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow gently caress the New York Times that’s fuckin disgusting as all hell

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me
The Flailing New York Times

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I followed hellthread back in the day and cant for the life of me remember Sarah Jong at all.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

See, this is funny because Sarah Jeong did nothing wrong

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel bad for Sarah

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

she'll be fine even if she gets fired but it's such a bad thing to normalize

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
being forced to apologize for being a woman of color online by The FAILING New Reich Times

coathat
May 21, 2007

She should be forced to apologize for posting in yospos.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

an actual dog posted:

it is insanely dangerous that they made her put a statement out like this

an actual dog posted:

she'll be fine even if she gets fired but it's such a bad thing to normalize

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Taintrunner posted:

I feel bad for Sarah

no sympathy for collaborators

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yikes
https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/1025055723535970304

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know guys, maybe I've been staring into this particular abyss too long, but it occurs to me blatant stupidity and trolling for clicks is literally the same

The NYT: a failing reality TV show

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

coathat posted:

She should be forced to apologize for posting in yospos.

she already received her punishment

computer toucher posted:

WILL YOU BE MY TIMID ASIAN WIFE?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I've now been forced to witness multiple takes from nazis that posting "#CancelWhitePeople" is calling for genocide, so I can't wait to hear that same talking point on tucker carlson tomorrow

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Chomskyan posted:

See, this is funny because Sarah Jeong did nothing wrong

apologizing was wrong imo tbh

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I've now been forced to witness multiple takes from nazis that posting "#CancelWhitePeople" is calling for genocide, so I can't wait to hear that same talking point on tucker carlson tomorrow

it actually is calling for genocide though though, that's not at all a hot take

the whole point of that kind of thing was a combination of irony/freaking the norms and the power dynamics are such that it's irrelevant, but its extremely hard to view any language construction that is [synonym for remove/abolish/delete/etc.] + [ethnic group] as not being about genocide

the illusory prospect of "white genocide" is the entire basis of the joke/troll in the first place

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

imo i consider her not being fired a win, let the idiot chuds have their meaningless apology its not like anyone will care

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

LGD posted:

the whole point of that kind of thing was a combination of irony/freaking the norms and the power dynamics are such that it's irrelevant, but its extremely hard to view any language construction that is [synonym for remove/abolish/delete/etc.] + [ethnic group] as not being about genocide

the illusory prospect of "white genocide" is the entire basis of the joke/troll in the first place

which op-ed columnist is this

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

LGD posted:

something something when you have to explain the joke it isn't funny

anyhoo
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1025081318693122048

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

which op-ed columnist is this

me

if you use deliberately provocative rhetoric then own it- its dumb as poo poo to take that post seriously but its also disingenuous as hell to pretend its wasn't a call for genocide

the fact that it was completely unserious, not meant to be taken literally, and you shouldn't give a poo poo about the opinions of the people who are complaining doesn't mean its not 100% completely correct to describe that tweet as calling for genocide

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/thismorning/status/1024682219204489217

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LGD posted:

me

if you use deliberately provocative rhetoric then own it- its dumb as poo poo to take that post seriously but its also disingenuous as hell to pretend its wasn't a call for genocide

the fact that it was completely unserious, not meant to be taken literally, and you shouldn't give a poo poo about the opinions of the people who are complaining doesn't mean its not 100% completely correct to describe that tweet as calling for genocide

who gives a gently caress

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

LGD posted:

me

do you think when someone posts like "ugh beyonce is cancelled" they think someone should murder her. it's a loving meme

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/MobyDickatSea/status/1025121826790420480

white whales are canceled

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

who gives a gently caress

again, me, because I loving hate it when people are disingenuous about this stuff because it happens to come from someone they like- I've liked sarah jeong's work for a long time, but edgelord posts about a subject are still posts about a subject (see: james gunn joking about pedophilia, uncouth rape jokes, etc.)

you shouldn't care about that stuff, especially when its brought up by the scum of the earth, but acting like you're confused about how explicitly eliminationist rhetoric can be interpreted as calling for genocide (when its the entire premise of the joke) and people are dumb for viewing it as such is loving nonsense

own your poo poo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

LGD posted:

again, me, because I loving hate it when people are disingenuous about this stuff because it happens to come from someone they like- I've liked sarah jeong's work for a long time, but edgelord posts about a subject are still posts about a subject (see: james gunn joking about pedophilia, uncouth rape jokes, etc.)

you shouldn't care about that stuff, especially when its brought up by the scum of the earth, but acting like you're confused about how explicitly eliminationist rhetoric can be interpreted as calling for genocide (when its the entire premise of the joke) and people are dumb for viewing it as such is loving nonsense

own your poo poo

I didn't read this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LGD posted:

own your poo poo

i hope you die so i can dance on your loving grave

*that's actually a hyperbolic exaggeration, rather than a serious declaration of intent. i can't dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

i hope you die so i can dance on your loving grave

*that's actually a hyperbolic exaggeration, rather than a serious declaration of intent. i can't dance

your posting always came across as white as hell so that's hardly a surprise