Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

You can disable location like Boris said, but I’d be a little freaked out that I might have a virus or something else malicious causing the issue. Are iOS viruses a popular thing yet? I haven’t kept up. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RoboCop 3 posted:

You can disable location like Boris said, but I’d be a little freaked out that I might have a virus or something else malicious causing the issue. Are iOS viruses a popular thing yet? I haven’t kept up. :ohdear:

Not really. They're theoretically possible assuming by "virus" you just mean "malware" generally. Ignoring edge cases of jailbroken phones, the steps to get malware on an iPhone either involves a browser-based zero-day exploit or someone getting a malware package onto the app store and you downloading it. Both have happened a few times, but unless you're frequently downloading apps from developers you've never heard of, they're not really worth worrying about.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Considering the nature of IOS I can't really check what exactly is asking for location all the time specifically on SA forums. I doubt it's a virus as no other websites ask this often.

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can disable location in safari entirely (settings, privacy, location services).

This is the nuclear option but I'll take it for now, thanks :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

tuna posted:

Considering the nature of IOS I can't really check what exactly is asking for location all the time specifically on SA forums. I doubt it's a virus as no other websites ask this often.

This is the nuclear option but I'll take it for now, thanks :)
It’s (apparently) some of the banner ads. Like I mentioned before, I’ve never seen that pop up on SA but I just disabled my ad blockers (1Blocker and Crystal) and started getting the pop ups immediately. Like every fifth page load.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I recommend 1BlockerX, poo poo is magic and light years better at catching stuff than the original version.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yes, it happened to me like 5 minutes after I read that post.

In my case I was using my iPad and MBP at the same time and opened SA from a handoff on the MBP. I never use SA on mobile Safari so that's the first time I noticed it. I guess everyone on iOS uses the Awful app like civilized folks and never gets the pop ups.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, it happened to me like 5 minutes after I read that post.

In my case I was using my iPad and MBP at the same time and opened SA from a handoff on the MBP. I never use SA on mobile Safari so that's the first time I noticed it. I guess everyone on iOS uses the Awful app like civilized folks and never gets the pop ups.

The Awful App is really nice on the iPad.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

RoboCop 3 posted:

Not really viruses, but there are (maybe were?) malicious sites that would be active in the background in Safari no matter what you were doing. My wife got something a couple of times that would keep reading off a “Your phone is infected, call this number” recording over and over, even when she wasn’t in Safari.

Clearing the cache fixed that, and it hasn’t happened in a while, so they may have fixed whatever was letting that through.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The Awful App is really nice on the iPad.

Until it crashes. Then the recommended action is curse under your breath and re-open it. Then it's good again.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Proteus Jones posted:

Until it crashes. Then the recommended action is curse under your breath and re-open it. Then it's good again.

And then go to the Awful thread and report your issues, because this isn’t a normal thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fordan posted:

And then go to the Awful thread and report your issues, because this isn’t a normal thing?

What is there to report though? It does it for me about once a week and there is no rhyme or reason as to why :shrug:

I do the same thing he does. I’m not complaining because the app is loving awesome but from my experience the crashing is pretty normal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah. It’s just a thing that happens.

The Awful app is awesome, it just crashes every now and again and I can live with it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Mom’s ipad is getting long in the tooth. How are refurbished units these days? Can get a cheap one from Best Buy.ca.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Mom’s ipad is getting long in the tooth. How are refurbished units these days? Can get a cheap one from Best Buy.ca.

I don't think BB sells real refurbished units like Apple does. Its probably just a return that someone didn't want so it would be fine. I've never had any issues with them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Depends on whether they're refurbished by Apple or a third party. I'd trust the former as much as a brand new device but I personally wouldn't chance it with the latter. If I were you, I'd back up your mom's iPad to the cloud (if she's got a ton of safari tabs open that she wants to hold onto, maybe copy them down in a note or something), wipe it, and see how much I could get by trading it in to Apple. Then put that Apple store credit toward a refurb/new iPad (they just refreshed it and dropped the price/added Pencil support if that matters) from the official store.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love the awful app. It crashes multiple times a day and every time I try to upload a photo to the forums. Still worth it. On the phone though. iPad I haven’t used it much because the regular forums site works fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love the awful app. It crashes multiple times a day and every time I try to upload a photo to the forums. Still worth it. On the phone though. iPad I haven’t used it much because the regular forums site works fine.

I'm constantly on the app and it crashes maybe once every two months on me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm constantly on the app and it crashes maybe once every two months on me.

Yeah it crashes as often as any other app for me. So basically never.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wonder what the deal is. I’m on an 8 Plus. No issues with other apps.

I should post this in the awful app thread I guess.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m seeing Apple Authorized Reseller on the B.B. site but it’s provided through some place called QR Computers which seems to be the refurbisher. It’s saving a lot of money for something that she basically uses for Facetime once a week with us. Her current ipad is first gen with a lot of tape on it so the trade in value is probably quite low.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Only Apple sellers Apple refurbished with full 1-year warranties. Every other place is 90 days.

Best Buy’s “geek squad refurbished” ones are probably the best next to certified refurbished from Apple. Anything besides that, including what’s on Best Buy’s site is no better than your average used iPad on eBay. Don’t pay a premium for it.

What iPad are you looking at and what’s your budget.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That’s helpful thanks. Honestly budget is only important because the iPad won’t be used for anything besides once a week Facetime, an occasional solitaire game, and looking at pictures of the grandchildren. It really won’t be used much.

Best Buy seemed like a good option because it will send to Armpit, Canada cheaply and quickly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got a 'Geek Squad Certified' iPad Pro from Best Buy. Don't do it. The iPad itself is fine, but I had to fight Apple to get AppleCare since they used the device's first activation as it's sold-by date instead of my activation. Took a week and multiple escalations for Apple to allow me to give them more money.

It would have been easier to just buy the iPad through Apple. Definitely consider factory refurbs, though. They are a great deal.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

hadji murad posted:

Best Buy seemed like a good option because it will send to Armpit, Canada cheaply and quickly.
Apple won’t?

If you haven’t, check their refurb store link way down at the bottom of their main page.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Official Apple refurbs are the best kept secret. Same warranty and same Apple care plus eligibility as new with a typically large discount.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Official Apple refurbs are the best kept secret. Same warranty and same Apple care plus eligibility as new with a typically large discount.

Plus they get a new battery, case, and screen.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks guys, sounds good. Now if they have any in stock...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Thanks guys, sounds good. Now if they have any in stock...

refurb-tracker.com will let you setup an email alert when the specific model you'd like is available. Handy if you're looking for a specific color/size/spec of Apple refurb.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Picked up the 10.5 iPad Pro. Coming from the Air 2, surprised how responsive it is. Pretty happy so far!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

Picked up the 10.5 iPad Pro. Coming from the Air 2, surprised how responsive it is. Pretty happy so far!

The 10.5 is disgustingly good.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I have an iPad 2 and a 2012 MacBook Air. I would like to replace both with the 12.9” pro. For personal use I don’t think I’d sacrifice anything by losing the laptop, and I would gain a nicer comic book reader.

But for professional use, would it be able to run Citrix on an external monitor with their X1 mouse? I don’t travel a ton, it would mostly be for working at home occasionally.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's an HDMI adapter you can get that should let it connect to an external monitor. I don't know how responsive it is, since I've never used it. I think it also only mirrors the screen and won't run at native resolution (unless you happen to have a monitor the same resolution somehow)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Plus I think someone mentioned a page ago that the Citrix Mouse isn’t sold anymore except for eBay. I could be wrong.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Thwomp posted:

Plus I think someone mentioned a page ago that the Citrix Mouse isn’t sold anymore except for eBay. I could be wrong.

Haven't actually bought it yet but I got far enough on this page to enter my cc info
https://store.citrix.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=citrix&id=QuickBuyCartPage

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does iOS 12 bring calculator to iPad? I’ve only been waiting for like ever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dexter6 posted:

Does iOS 12 bring calculator to iPad? I’ve only been waiting for like ever.

I think the dream of a native calculator app on ipad died with Steve.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jokes posted:

I think the dream of a native calculator app on ipad died with Steve.

You can just use Siri.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I was recently converted to full time at work and I can get a pretty good deal on a mobile data plan for a tablet so I've been looking at picking up an iPad for the first time (specifically the iPad Pro 12.9).

Is there anything I should know about coming from only using android and windows? (aside from aparently the iPad doesn't have a native calculator which is weird.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

8one6 posted:

I was recently converted to full time at work and I can get a pretty good deal on a mobile data plan for a tablet so I've been looking at picking up an iPad for the first time (specifically the iPad Pro 12.9).

Is there anything I should know about coming from only using android and windows? (aside from aparently the iPad doesn't have a native calculator which is weird.)

Yeah it is weird, but there are like fifty bajillion good calculator apps out there at different price points (from free to expensive) and use case/complexity types. There’s paper-like ones and big simple ones for old people and scientific ones and graphing ones that can beat out those overpriced TIs and algebra specific ones and also Wolfram Alpha.

Also, wait until Sept/Oct when the iPad Pros are expected to get a big update. If you don’t end up caring about the new design/features you’ll be able to snag the current model at a discount.

Also also, try out the 12.9 Pro in person and compare it to the 10” one, and 9.7” regular iPad for good measure if you’re planning on getting one with a data plan that you intend to truck around to, like, the park and poo poo (IDK). They all support the Apple Pencil now if that was ever a factor, although the non-Pro model doesn’t have a snazzy super-high refresh display and has, of course, the smallest screen of the three. I personally wouldn’t get one of the 12.9” ones with a mobile plan because I find that size a bit unwieldy for that kind of data usage but your needs and preferences may be quite different. From second hand experience and comments in this thread, people often underestimate just how large in the hand the biggest iPad is when compared to “standard tablet size” so it’s worth picking up and comparing to the other sizes- though that big screen is definitely glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I used to work for Best Buy and for gods sake, never buy anything refurbished from them. So many apple products specifically had third party screens with trash color reproduction or weird WiFi issues and couldn’t hold a connection. I even saw some that had mismatched colors of screen to body color. Their refurbishment process consisted of smashing two broken things together and hopefully get a working one, and on multiple occasions people would come back in the next day saying their refurb never even powered on.

As I understand they’ve gotten better about that stuff by tracking unique employee IDs to specific units to see who’s shipping out broken things but they still have quotas for devices fixed for their people, which is unfair considering you may not be able to fix the sawed in half poo poo they put at your desk that day.