Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten Woody's Story in the Woody Woodpecker game and unlocked the other two characters, Knothead and Splinter. Interestingly, while Knothead gets the same basic levels so far, her obstacles are very remixed, so it's not just a repeat. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
I'm shocked that there's enough secondary characters in woody woodpecker to warrant a whole two extra characters

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That sure is an adorable solution they went with. :swoon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Knothead actually has her own mechanics - she has a mid-air dash that allows her to get massive horizontal distance, so the levels are redesigned to complement that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Figured I'd make a small video showing off Knothead, cause why not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCspwROzQHo

The editing gets a bit sloppy later, but it was just a quick thing for a friend.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

3D platformers... *shudder*

Do you have to press a button to reset the camera or do you have to wait for that to happen?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Press the R2 to centre, that's all it gives you. The controls aren't very good, far too loose, but I like the way the challenges are laid out, like at one point there is a set of cannons that fire in a staggered pattern so it makes a kind of diagonal pattern, and a laser sweeping back and forth across the air above the cannons - the way I got past that was to treat the laser as a skipping rope and just jump over it from side to side while avoiding the cannon fire, because there isn't enough room to reliably move between the shots on the ground.

It's the kind of awkward that I can get used to, so I'm getting competent at the game when I know what's coming.

Also an example of how the level changes between Woody's turn and Knothead: The elevator that moves horizontally after the first zappy-ball thing has no lasers as Woody, and in the opening room Woody has a pair of lasers blocking the wood wall inside the little structure (his first, he gets to the top of the room via standard platforms). The lasers are turned off by a peck target on each upper ledge, where Knothead only has the one peck target and the other side is all purely collectibles.

It's an extremely flawed game, but there is enough effort in the design and the little things that I'm enjoying it.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Aug 4, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Figured I'd make a small video showing off Knothead, cause why not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCspwROzQHo

The editing gets a bit sloppy later, but it was just a quick thing for a friend.

Why are you willingly playing this game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy god the frame rate in that made me nauseous just watching on a phone screen. It’s so jerky.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, the framerate is a problem too. May just be the emulation. To be fair though, it's better than Ace Lightning, and I did a full lp of that one.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Aug 4, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bioenchanted is a man on a mission.

What that mission is, now I couldn't say.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My mission is for any game I play, good or bad, to Find the Fun. Whether a cute story, interesting level design or some fun gimmick, I always give a game a fair shot to play it's hand, and attempt to figure out how to play it competently. Even if that means figuring out how to wrestle with a less-than-stellar control scheme. If the controls were more precise and the framerate improved, Woody Woodpecker would be a fairly neat game. As it is it's merely an interesting mess.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

My mission is for any game I play, good or bad, to Find the Fun. Whether a cute story, interesting level design or some fun gimmick, I always give a game a fair shot to play it's hand, and attempt to figure out how to play it competently. Even if that means figuring out how to wrestle with a less-than-stellar control scheme. If the controls were more precise and the framerate improved, Woody Woodpecker would be a fairly neat game. As it is it's merely an interesting mess.

Ever had a game you gave up on? That had (close to) zero redeeming qualities?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mostly really early 3d stuff, like PS1 era. Before then you had pretty decent 2D fare, and from PS2 onwards everything is at the very least playable, so I can get through it. But during the PS1 you had a lot of games that were not only bad to control, but conceptually boring as well. There were a few good series/games, like Spyro and Toy Story 2, but they were exceptions, most of the stuff I played on PSX is wonky in an unfun way. Like a barbie game that tried to do Crash Bandicoot but the controls were so unresponsive that it was practically impossible to get the hang of, even if the first couple of levels seemed to be trying things. That and most NES games are garbage, even the classics are a bit crap IMO.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I do not miss the days where the camera was often a bigger enemy than anything else. I haven’t really had any camera issues outside of some weird edge cases in years, it’s great.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do not miss the days where the camera was often a bigger enemy than anything else. I haven’t really had any camera issues outside of some weird edge cases in years, it’s great.

Especially galling when Mario 64 had come out a decade before PS2 platformers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I must have played a different Mario 64 because I remember it being clunky and bad

Edit: I may be biased though because I dont enjoy playing Mario games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

I must have played a different Mario 64 because I remember it being clunky and bad

Edit: I may be biased though because I dont enjoy playing Mario games.

Clunky as hell, yes, but I'd never call it bad. Especially compared to other games of the era and even many games in the gamecube/PS2 generation. Mario 64's camera was, by and large, servicable. You didn't always have quite the control you'd want over it and it had a tendency to zoom in and out more than you'd want. But you weren't often stuck facing the rear end end of something irrelevant, and I can't recall any point during my various playthroughs where the camera focused on a piece of geometry and prevented me from being able to play the game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

That and most NES games are garbage, even the classics are a bit crap IMO.

:(

The NES had a lot of good games! A lot of bad ones too...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RCarr posted:

I enjoyed some of them, like I played through the first couple of classic Megaman games and enjoyed them, but for the most part I just can't get along with them. Also sometimes games are certainly bad, but get blown out of proportion, like a few times I've been watching or reading a review and and found a few segments that just didn't ring true, like claiming that there is a lot of backtracking and showing a level that HAS A SHORTCUT back to the start if you just went 2 feet in front of you, or showing themselves dying trying to dodge a bunch of lasers and I'm like "JUST DUCK YOU IMBECILE! It needn't be that hard!"

One of the dumbest though was every review of the Bolt tie-in game complains that Travolta doesn't reprise his role, and it's like "Did you even watch the movie, or even at least understand it's concept?" Bolt, in universe, doesn't talk. He's a dog. The only reason he has a voice actor is because the story is from his point of view. The game is not, the game is based on the TV show that Bolt stars in, so it makes no sense to expect him to have a voice.

Basically, even if a game is poorly reviewed I have evidence to the effect that the reviews are untrustworthy garbage written by idiots, so I judge for myself.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 4, 2018

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

BioEnchanted posted:

Mostly really early 3d stuff, like PS1 era. Before then you had pretty decent 2D fare, and from PS2 onwards everything is at the very least playable, so I can get through it. But during the PS1 you had a lot of games that were not only bad to control, but conceptually boring as well. There were a few good series/games, like Spyro and Toy Story 2, but they were exceptions, most of the stuff I played on PSX is wonky in an unfun way. Like a barbie game that tried to do Crash Bandicoot but the controls were so unresponsive that it was practically impossible to get the hang of, even if the first couple of levels seemed to be trying things. That and most NES games are garbage, even the classics are a bit crap IMO.

You should do the N64 Superman game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuclear War posted:

You should do the N64 Superman game

you fiend

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RCarr posted:

Friday the 13th on NES is good and I'll fight everyone about it :colbert: if they had made dodging a bit less wonky and fixed Jason's indoor hitbox that game would have been an instant classic. Its leagues better than anything made by LJN has any right to be.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

BioEnchanted have you ever played that PS1 game with the muppets as monsters? I seem to remember having a demo of it that made it seem neat.

Also Monsters Inc Scare Island which I presume did not age well but I played the poo poo out of it back in the day. And the Bug's Life one. I played quite a few dumb licensed PS1 platformers, thinking about it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

McDragon posted:

BioEnchanted have you ever played that PS1 game with the muppets as monsters? I seem to remember having a demo of it that made it seem neat.

Also Monsters Inc Scare Island which I presume did not age well but I played the poo poo out of it back in the day. And the Bug's Life one. I played quite a few dumb licensed PS1 platformers, thinking about it

For the first point, did you mean Creatures? I messed with that one on a demo but never had the actual game.

also yup I beat Monsters Inc: Scare Island 100%, all medals. Didn't ever play bugs life though.

Also I'm onto Splinter's levels in Woody Woodpecker. Wow her jumps get quite tricky with no room for a breather. She has a double jump as her Thing, and also often 3-4 enemies where before there only 1 or 2.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nuebot posted:

Clunky as hell, yes, but I'd never call it bad. Especially compared to other games of the era and even many games in the gamecube/PS2 generation. Mario 64's camera was, by and large, servicable. You didn't always have quite the control you'd want over it and it had a tendency to zoom in and out more than you'd want. But you weren't often stuck facing the rear end end of something irrelevant, and I can't recall any point during my various playthroughs where the camera focused on a piece of geometry and prevented me from being able to play the game.
People were talking about Mario 64's camera a lot in an LP I watched of a romhack of it (yes, those exist now). The romhack had noticeably worse camera issues than the original, and that was not just due to its difficulty being higher; as far as I remember, Mario 64's camera is actually meticulously crafted to work together with the level geometry, making it zoom out, in, sweep, go low etc. depending on Mario's position. It works well in most circumstances because they made it work, and recreating that in a romhack is fiendishly difficult.

Other early 3D platformers don't go to nearly as much of a length to try and make their camera work always, opting to make it "better" in general (more fluid, giving you more control, allowing it to "cheat" by making things transparent) but thinking that's enough. Often, it isn't.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

For the first point, did you mean Creatures? I messed with that one on a demo but never had the actual game.

There was a literal Muppets game where AFAIK the premise was that most of them were turned into Hollywood monsters like Frankensteins n poo poo and Robin the Small Frog had to 3D platform his way to save them. I think I played the demo once.

There was also a Muppets kart racer that was decent but not on Crash Team Racing levels.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

There was a literal Muppets game where AFAIK the premise was that most of them were turned into Hollywood monsters like Frankensteins n poo poo and Robin the Small Frog had to 3D platform his way to save them. I think I played the demo once.

That sounds interesting. The best joke would be if Sweetums and Uncle Nasty were totally unaffected.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, just played the first level. It's really fun and cute.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Aug 4, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow the third character in Woody Woodpecker (Splinter)'s races are ludicrous - you have enemies that show up and alternate shooting homing missiles and blue energy pellets on top of surviving the course. However there is a trick - you can duck under the missiles just by holding duck, then you just survive the course from there. The blue energy ones are more tricky because you need to jump over their shots, but there is a specific rhythm so it's easy to "get" how to deal with it.
Woody Woodpecker is no longer messing around. She also seems to get a lot more enemies sometimes but not others, and her platforming is the most drastically changed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
PYF little things in games: Woody Woodpecker is no longer messing around

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Something else I think.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of.

Also ha, there's a duck button in a game about birds, nice

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Hearthstone, minions play a voice line when you attack with them. When your opponent attacks with one of their minions, you can’t hear it. In single player content, the AI bosses sometimes have unique minions which you can’t put into your collection, but can take control of during a match. When you take control of and attack one of these minions, they’ll often have a funny voice line that you don’t normally get to hear. For example: “Someday I’d love to be in Heroes of the Storm...

However, in the League of Explorers expansion, this is used for a but of foreshadowing. As you go through the first few wings, collecting pieces of the Staff of Origination, you occasionally hear laughter and muttering from a shadowy figure who seems to take great joy in watching you come closer to obtaining the staff. Later on, that figure reveals himself to be Arch-Thief Rafaam, who steals the staff after you complete it.

However, all the way back in the first part of the adventure, there is a boss called Sun Raider Phaerix. If you take control of one of his Tol’vir Hoiplites and attack with it, it hurredly says: “Listen. I don’t have much time. Rafaam is after the staff as well. You can’t let him take it!” I thought that was weird and cool, especially in how much character it lends to this one random minion you can’t even own.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You can scan amiibo in WarioWare Gold and mario will paint whatever character you scanned. They're usually pretty simple portraits, except when you scan his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_YRDWloFkY

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My new favourite thing in games is Goro Majima's intro sequence in Yakuza 0. I've not played past that point but anyone who gets his own personal cabaret band to play fight music for him has got to be an interesting character.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

My new favourite thing in games is Goro Majima's intro sequence in Yakuza 0. I've not played past that point but anyone who gets his own personal cabaret band to play fight music for him has got to be an interesting character.

I'm loving the dramatic animations when you win or lose the slot car races intended for children. Kiryu is so proud of himself for beating all of those children because he spent so much more money than them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

I'm loving the dramatic animations when you win or lose the slot car races intended for children. Kiryu is so proud of himself for beating all of those children because he spent so much more money than them.

Yeah, you can spend the equivalent of 2 or 3 million 2018 dollars to beat a bunch of 8 year olds at RC cars. It rules.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

He only gets better. Majima's one of the best characters in gaming.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Get you a man

who can do both

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nuebot posted:

Everything Kiryu does is as dramatic as possible, and now that the game was released for PC someone finally played the board games and he's as intense in that as ever

Kanfy posted:

That feeling when you have a mighty good hand but the moment your ninth discard tile hits the table, that bastard Sachi shouts the R-word and you know even your fists can't save you from what's coming.

Kanfy posted:

Also that feeling when you turn the tables on Sachi with three white dragons while the dora is a red dragon and you already know you're about to be the king of the Han hill.

Kanfy posted:

Sounds like someone can't appreciate the joys of INTENSE MAHJONG

Dropping a Riichi even breaks the silence with INTENSE RIICHI MUSIC (which apparently went unused in Kiwami)

As far as I can tell there isn't an achievement for watching all of them called "It wasn't for the achievement" which I personally find more criminal than any yakuza activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Samuringa posted:

Everything Kiryu does is as dramatic as possible, and now that the game was released for PC someone finally played the board games and he's as intense in that as ever

I love this stupid loving game and the next one can't come out soon enough. I want them to bring them all to steam.