Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

Not throat crushy at all if done properly. Make sure your arm is deep enough around the neck first. Typically you'll know as your choking arm hand will pass the trapezius. Once super deep the rotation will compress the carotids. If you are too shallow it can compress the trachea. Which is sort of fine in that it will get the tap too but isn't optimal.

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

That back attack dvd whips. It's more applicable for what I do too since my goal is try to get the back always, I rarely try to force submissions before then because I have found I tend to use that as a cop out inevitably don't get the submission and lose my position in the process. I'm also not allowed to do any leg poo poo beside straight ankle locks so his Leg attack dvd doesn't really apply to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spb posted:

That back attack dvd whips. It's more applicable for what I do too since my goal is try to get the back always, I rarely try to force submissions before then because I have found I tend to use that as a cop out inevitably don't get the submission and lose my position in the process. I'm also not allowed to do any leg poo poo beside straight ankle locks so his Leg attack dvd doesn't really apply to me.

The positional and conceptual stuff on the leg attack dvd is way more valuable than the actual submissions.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any recs on good full guard passes to work on? I notice like 75% of my rolls start with me being in the other dudes full guard and I might as well figure out some stuff. It's probably my weakest position in terms of technique and options I am familiar with.

Not a recommendation as much as a statement of possibility, but my preferred technique for any guard beyond flattened half guard is to stand up and make it an open guard fight

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Any recs on good full guard passes to work on? I notice like 75% of my rolls start with me being in the other dudes full guard and I might as well figure out some stuff. It's probably my weakest position in terms of technique and options I am familiar with.

I’ve had some success with the Carlson Gracie guard pass. Phone posting but there’s tons of videos for it on YouTube.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also, while I am researching, any recs on guillotines? I've had a lot of good headlocks from clumsy takedown attempts but have never managed to finish the choke and usually end up gassing by trying for too long. At this point I am wondering if I should just give up on trying to lock the choke and if I can transition the headlock into something better

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, while I am researching, any recs on guillotines? I've had a lot of good headlocks from clumsy takedown attempts but have never managed to finish the choke and usually end up gassing by trying for too long. At this point I am wondering if I should just give up on trying to lock the choke and if I can transition the headlock into something better

Guard passes, stand up.

Guillotines, Marcellotine or Neil Melanson has some good stuff on finishing the guillotine.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I came from a judo background so standing to pass came embarrassingly late for me. When I did start standing up though it was the single greatest leap forward in progress for me in a long time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ihop posted:

I came from a judo background so standing to pass came embarrassingly late for me. When I did start standing up though it was the single greatest leap forward in progress for me in a long time.

Yeah, not even gonna lie, when people here said "stand up" I was like, wait, you can do that?

Excited to try it out

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just the simple knee slide works great. It’s all about pinning their hip. Against smaller guys and girls who are more technical than me. For bigger guys that aren’t as technical my go to is double underhooks or single underhook. For single underhook you need to have a pretty good understanding how to immobilize the bottom leg, and decent triangle defense because eventually you will screw it up.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Start looking for other chokes: arm triangles, anacondas, and darces. Even if you don't get them to force your opponent to defend and open up other stuff, like that original guillotine you were looking for.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, not even gonna lie, when people here said "stand up" I was like, wait, you can do that?

Excited to try it out

I call it my galaxy brain moment.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The #1 mistake I've been seeing my training partners make on guillotines is taking the position before the grip. Once you've dropped your body for the choke, I've learned that it's difficult to improve the grip, and that's where you end up blasting your arms trying to get that last inch or so. If you have the right grip it doesn't take a lot of exertion to get the tap.

e. Lachlan Giles

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

The #1 mistake I've been seeing my training partners make on guillotines is taking the position before the grip. Once you've dropped your body for the choke, I've learned that it's difficult to improve the grip, and that's where you end up blasting your arms trying to get that last inch or so. If you have the right grip it doesn't take a lot of exertion to get the tap.

That's really solid, thanks

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My professor showed us some cool guillotine details last night

Snap head down with left hand
Chin strap grip with right hand
Stuff opponents head under left arm
Use chin strip grip to elevate chin
Slide left hand behind right hand, big thumb knuckle in the indentation in their throat below the adams apple
Right hand releases chinstrap, grips left hand fingers
Fall to left hand elbow to finish

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Also remember for the rotational finish to the RNC that you are not opening up your arm as you rotate. Keep the arm closed i.e. the forearm and bicep pinched in tight as you rotate the elbow around.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My friend and teammate Aaron Milam, owner of Renzo Gracie Portland, teaching at BJJ Globetrotters. Aaron is super innovative. Please check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWwL5suqIw

https://youtu.be/NaWwL5suqIw

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 4, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That's bullshit. They call themselves BJJ globetrotters and not once does he spin his opponent on his finger or anything.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just found out that JJ Machado was teaching class last night at Renzos and I missed it. Really annoyed that I didn't know.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone knows the purple belt? I really want to roll with him.
https://i.imgur.com/atEtOA9.gifv

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Some of these techniques are dope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HJno8FPO0

The kneebar from kimora from side control is extremely my poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So I do power lifting 5x5s on my off days, I took the last few weeks off to reserve my energy for BJJ since I wasn't used to it and wanted to get as much mat time as possible. I mentioned getting back into 5x5s to my instructor today, and he mentioned he feels explicit powerlifting is a bad much for BJJ, especially at white belt. He recommended looking into more muscle endurance high-rep stuff.

Any recs on what I should focus on for my weight training? What do you guys do for gym work to coordinate with your mat work?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I do power lifting 5x5s on my off days, I took the last few weeks off to reserve my energy for BJJ since I wasn't used to it and wanted to get as much mat time as possible. I mentioned getting back into 5x5s to my instructor today, and he mentioned he feels explicit powerlifting is a bad much for BJJ, especially at white belt. He recommended looking into more muscle endurance high-rep stuff.

Any recs on what I should focus on for my weight training? What do you guys do for gym work to coordinate with your mat work?

As my friend (who is also a gym owner/S&C coach, etc) says:

"it's easier to take a strength athlete and turn them into an endurance athlete, than to take an endurance athlete and make them a strength athlete."

Basically, lift weights. Endurance with rolling comes with... You guessed it, more rolling.

Be strong. Being strong allows you to get into positions where you don't need to exert yourself as much.

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I found that when I got my resting heart rate lower (through basic cycling and keeping heartrate between 130-150), it really helped with endurance in both BJJ and judo. Far more than just rolling a lot ever did, much faster recovery and able to get through all rounds without any issue.

No issue with weight training either - it's useful to have strength to fall back on if technique is equal (or near equal). Although don't fall into a trap of using strength rather than technique otherwise it might stunt your progress.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I was rolling with a girl yesterday who had been doing BJJ for like 2 weeks. She told me how she has to remember to breath and it reminded me of the adrenaline that goes on the first couple of times you roll where you can't help but think this is a live or die situation.

Also anyone else also roll easier on girls? It's seems hosed up not to

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

The advice I’ve gotten is to not think about the gender difference but to instead think about the weight difference and adjust your output accordingly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

spb posted:

If they've been training less than a year I probably won't learn much from the roll so I try to simulate a self-defence scenario but slowly so they have time to work through stuff. If they have more than a year experience I play my normal game but I work through it slowly, I try to be utterly strengthless, and I pretend that their grips are stronger than they are, methodically working through the grip breaks. Sometimes I run into women who are terrifyingly good and I just try my hardest to kill them but you want to befriend them and slowly crank up the intensity to make sure they're into it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

5x5 is trash. Westside Barbell if you want to get strong. I've been doing a lot of HIIT and functional fitness though. Deadlifts, turkish getups, squats, lunges, jump squats and core are what seem to be the most transferable exercises to jiu jitsu.

Regarding rolling with women, same thing as stated before be conscious of weight more than gender. We had a purple belt that would get really pissed at me if I didn't give her like 90%+ pressure though so...Maybe just learn to adapt to your training partners.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

I treat women like I treat everyone else really, if we are working of different skill levels and weight levels without it being a big deal I don't make a big deal out of gender.

I will say though that I usually don't ask a woman to roll but if they ask me I am all for it.

JaySB posted:

Westside Barbell if you want to get strong.

Havent heard of it but I will take a peak

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have just returned to lifting after a long hiatus to recover from a nerve injury. I lift heavy/powerlift. I don't do high rep stuff at all. I currently do BJJ every weekday morning (5 days a week) and lift at night 7 days a week. Lifting doesn't bother me rolling but I have a really really fast natural recovery time. Interestingly, the better I get at BJJ the less cardio I need. Typically when I roll with lower belts they'll be panting and sweating and I won't be even though their cardio may be much better than mine. They're just less efficient at moving.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 5, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros posted:

The advice I’ve gotten is to not think about the gender difference but to instead think about the weight difference and adjust your output accordingly.

Maybe but I think that's deceiving. A 130 pound man is different from a 130 pound woman...

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

HunterDevourer posted:

I found that when I got my resting heart rate lower (through basic cycling and keeping heartrate between 130-150), it really helped with endurance in both BJJ and judo. Far more than just rolling a lot ever did, much faster recovery and able to get through all rounds without any issue.

No issue with weight training either - it's useful to have strength to fall back on if technique is equal (or near equal). Although don't fall into a trap of using strength rather than technique otherwise it might stunt your progress.

I agree. I know prioritizing endurance over strength training is unpopular in grappling, but my own experience is that endurance is good for training, lifting helps with competition.

Running 5-10k, even at a slow pace, shot my bjj/judo endurance through the roof. It feels like I can fight to exhaustion, but 30 seconds of rest gets me ready to start all over again. The ability to roll several rounds at higher intensity feels very valuable to me from a training point of view. I also feel that running in particular helps me stay lighter on my feet during stand-up.

Strength training seems to help me with injury prevention, and the ability to muscle a move feels cool and is great for competition. I have a hard time in training though wrt resorting to strength over technique.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I found this great video of famous fake black belt, fake Brazilian, fake Navy SEAL and convicted murderer Ralph Bartle (aka "Rafiel Torre") getting his poo poo wrecked while demonstrating why people stopped wearing a GI in MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xg48ihuRL4

If you don't already know who "Rafiel Torre" is, Joe Rogan did a pretty good rundown on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLY24F7mvI

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I found this great video of famous fake black belt, fake Brazilian, fake Navy SEAL and convicted murderer Ralph Bartle (aka "Rafiel Torre") getting his poo poo wrecked while demonstrating why people stopped wearing a GI in MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xg48ihuRL4

If you don't already know who "Rafiel Torre" is, Joe Rogan did a pretty good rundown on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLY24F7mvI

Haha I actually watched that video earlier in the week. That dude is fishing harder than most white belts.

Another good mini-doc on Torre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrhR0AE_iLQ

The Kumite in the Woods story never fails to crack me up

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
BJJ GlobeTrotters camps... anyone been? Anyone heard what they're like? Reddit BJJ seems to think they're great.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

JaySB posted:

5x5 is trash. Westside Barbell if you want to get strong. I've been doing a lot of HIIT and functional fitness though. Deadlifts, turkish getups, squats, lunges, jump squats and core are what seem to be the most transferable exercises to jiu jitsu.

^^^ this. 5x5 is a higher-volume knockoff of Starting Strength, a program that explicitly says that you're not supposed to do any other strenuous exercise while you're on it, and also you should drink a gallon of whole milk every day. Pick a different program with saner volume and temper your expectations for gainz if you're going hard at BJJ.

Rows and pull-ups are cool too; they're very relevant to anything involving pulling on gi grips.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kettlebells seem to be a popular strength-ish supplement to grappling, and are commonly found in BJJ gyms.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nestharken posted:

^^^ this. 5x5 is a higher-volume knockoff of Starting Strength, a program that explicitly says that you're not supposed to do any other strenuous exercise while you're on it, and also you should drink a gallon of whole milk every day. Pick a different program with saner volume and temper your expectations for gainz if you're going hard at BJJ.

So basically same exercises higher reps/lower weights?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Depends on what you're trying to do. Higher reps lower weight for muscle endurance. Lower reps higher weight for actual strength.

Again, Westside Barbell.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do. Higher reps lower weight for muscle endurance. Lower reps higher weight for actual strength.

Oh yeah, I know that. I mean, I dont know if my gym work should be focused on endurance or strength right now

JaySB posted:

Again, Westside Barbell.

I checked their site but couldn't quite figure what workout I should be looking at. Any advice?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

https://www.westside-barbell.com/blogs/westside-barbell-workouts
https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-westside-method-get-legit-strong-and-jacked-as-hell.html
https://www.westside-barbell.com/blogs/may-2017-articles/conjugate-raw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So basically same exercises higher reps/lower weights?

I recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Strength-Tra...nd+anatomy+book

It's got awesome illistrations and explainations that tell you exactly what you need to be doing to get what you're looking for. And it details every muscle group and gives advice on how to avoid injuries.

1,300 five star reviews. It's a must have if you lift any weights.