Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Aluminium did this, the poor blade only survived long enough to do about one foot worth of cutting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure I've ever blunted a sawzall blade, I always seem to manage to concertina them before then.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's not blunt. The teeth filled with aluminium, I cleaned them out, went to start cutting again, it caught, bent, and snapped right off in one stroke. That blade is actually in two pieces.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's what I mean. I kill blades in similar fashion before I blunt them.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh. :downs:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I've never had that happen to me, I've always blunted them first. I've cut pretty much only wood with nails in it, though.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I've never had that happen to me, I've always blunted them first. I've cut pretty much only wood with nails in it, though.
Aluminium is pretty much guaranteed to gently caress up any cutting tool.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Cartoon posted:

Aluminium is pretty much guaranteed to gently caress up any cutting tool.

I never had a cutting wheel on a grinder explode on me until today, and it happened with both wheels I tried to use. I am 100% glad i was wearing a face shield and 100% lucky no other parts of me got hit.

It also ruined a carbide die. I blew through quite a few consumables just to cut two 8.5"x2.75" holes. Even my step drills are not looking so happy anymore.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I'd imagine that blunt blades are more likely to bind and snap than new blades.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Are you kidding me? Aluminum is easy as hell to cut. Try cutting 15-5ph stainless, inconel or tantalum.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Are you kidding me? Aluminum is easy as hell to cut. Try cutting 15-5ph stainless, inconel or tantalum.

:stare: What the gently caress do you do for a living?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Nuevo posted:

And why the gently caress aren't you posting the explodey results?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FBS posted:

Also, since her car is undamaged, nobody's insurance will pay anything, not even for a rental car. :v:

BRB, denying claims for stolen cars.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Aluminium did this, the poor blade only survived long enough to do about one foot worth of cutting:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I never had a cutting wheel on a grinder explode on me until today, and it happened with both wheels I tried to use. I am 100% glad i was wearing a face shield and 100% lucky no other parts of me got hit.

It also ruined a carbide die. I blew through quite a few consumables just to cut two 8.5"x2.75" holes. Even my step drills are not looking so happy anymore.

Stop using the wrong tools for cutting aluminum...
You want a sawzall blade with bigger teeth that have more gap between them, that way the aluminum has a chance to clear out. Same thing with carbide burrs, if you use the ones with really small close together flutes you'll clog it up and destroy it immediately. You want a single cut burr with big, slow spiraling flutes.

If you use grinder wheels meant for steel they don't get worn by the aluminum. Abrasive discs work by being consumed, if they don't get consumed they load up, go off balance, and explode. Buy the grinder discs meant for aluminum.

I've never had aluminum ruin a drill bit, it's like drilling wood. I guess if it's really dull you'll have problems.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FBS posted:

One of my coworkers cars is parked in the row that's just out of the top of the frame. She happened to be there for an appointment. Last I heard, the engineers were pretty sure they could get her car out without it collapsing further, but the spots closer in were still at risk. They hope to start moving cars out this weekend.

Also, since her car is undamaged, nobody's insurance will pay anything, not even for a rental car. :v:

Well, to be fair, physical damage is covered which would get you a rental. Non access to the vehicle isn’t a covered loss. Effectively it’s the same scenario as your car being impounded. Legally you could go after whoever is at fault for the garage collapse for reimbursement cost of alternative transportation while it’s unavailable but practically that will be nearly impossible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

chrisgt posted:

Stop using the wrong tools for cutting aluminum...
You want a sawzall blade with bigger teeth that have more gap between them, that way the aluminum has a chance to clear out.
agree, you all using made for steel 18 tpi or something? Use 8 tpi for softer stuff.
When moving out about 18 months ago I had 30+ air cons and coils to cut up and get scrap money for cash - plus also clean out my old business and the garages. I didn't snap or bend a single blade even though using a cheap tool and blades and cutting through a heap of steel, copper and aluminium.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 5, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

agree, you all using made for steel 18 tpi or something? Use 8 tpi for softer stuff.
When moving out about 18 months ago I had 30+ air cons and coils to cut up and get scrap money for cash - plus also clean out my old business and the garages. I didn't snap or bend a single blade even though using a cheap tool and blades and cutting through a heap of steel, copper and aluminium.
No, I'm not using cutting aluminium, I'm just often using sawzalls in awkward access areas etc that makes it hard to avoid twisting/bending blades, and they don't like it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah I wish they made shorter blades, sometimes I have to bring out the jigsaw, only to find that's not quite long enough either. So stuck in the middle and nothing is perfect for the job unless using a hand saw and that sucks. Most of what I said was to fermented tinal who chrisgt was also referring to with regards to aluminium

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah this. Aluminum is loving cheese compared to most steels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehDBlH4iz8
Minutes 12-20 are great
"Skydrol is skin safe, but make sure to wipe it off of tires, paint, plexiglas, tools, floors, or wire insulation to prevent damage"
lol

That guy with the glasses is brave. "Ok, so this stuff we've poured on the table will melt your glasses if they stay in it too long. So we want you to put your glasses in the puddle, wipe them off, and then put them back on your face"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fo3 posted:

Yeah I wish they made shorter blades, sometimes I have to bring out the jigsaw, only to find that's not quite long enough either. So stuck in the middle and nothing is perfect for the job unless using a hand saw and that sucks. Most of what I said was to fermented tinal who chrisgt was also referring to with regards to aluminium

Got an angle grinder?

Cut the blade shorter. Had to do that a few times for really fiddly jobs.

Generally every blade for the sawzall at work is absolutely hosed right up hard against the tool end and brand new at the other end. People just run em at flat chat without any kind of lubricant cutting steel and wonder why they slag out almost immediately

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Well, to be fair, physical damage is covered which would get you a rental. Non access to the vehicle isn’t a covered loss. Effectively it’s the same scenario as your car being impounded. Legally you could go after whoever is at fault for the garage collapse for reimbursement cost of alternative transportation while it’s unavailable but practically that will be nearly impossible.

Yup, you’re looking at a builder’s defect/poor maintenance liability claim against the builder and/or owner of the garage. Looks like it’ll be a crowded field of claimants, too.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

That guy with the glasses is brave. "Ok, so this stuff we've poured on the table will melt your glasses if they stay in it too long. So we want you to put your glasses in the puddle, wipe them off, and then put them back on your face"

I'd guess he was either an actor with no idea what he was messing with, or he may have just dipped them in lookalike liquid.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Nuevo posted:

I'm a quality manager at a small manufacturing company, we make satellite and aircraft parts, among other things.

Beach Bum posted:

And why the gently caress aren't you posting the explodey results?!

I think I've posted this before:

That's what happens when an operator doesn't set up a scrap chopper correctly (flash drive for scale).

This is what happens when a 40,000 lb steel coil isn't strapped down correctly:

That was a screw up by one of our suppliers, not us.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

Blades for the m12 hackzall are super short and should fit in any reciprocating saw.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...CFcvdwAodY6sPvQ

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I never said Aluminium was ~hard~ to cut. I said it would gently caress up your cutting tools. It logs up between teeth and across cutting edges. When cutting aluminium it is important to use the right tool and check for logging and over heating.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Grinding aluminum is the worst.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Platystemon posted:

Grinding aluminum is the worst.

Plexiglas.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
You can actually get pretty small sawzall blades. Couple years ago I was ordering blades online and picked up a bunch of sawzall scrollsaw blades. Sounds like an oxymoron, but they're amazing. Shorter and skinnier than a jigsaw blade, they've saved my rear end more than once. Of course they're easy to gently caress, just go carefully with them and they're great.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Raluek posted:

Plexiglas.

Yep, gonna agree with this one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

um excuse me posted:

Make their adjuster verify nothing is damaged.

Also, denial of use/value should be a thing. Basically, if your broken poo poo denies me use of my thing, you owe me. IANAL, of course, and you’d probably have to sue to get it, which likely would not be worth the effort.

Edit: should note that, yeah, your insurance isn’t going to cover that. It would ups be the property owner.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 6, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's weird. I had my car damaged by a fence falling on it in a car park about 6 years ago. I claimed repairs through my auto insurer, who was happy to settle my claim and then recover from the owner of the fence. Seems like this is the same situation, just scaled up a whole bunch.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Except in this case most of those cars aren't damaged just inaccessible.

Same thing happened here after an earthquake caused the ramps in a parking building to collapse - the people who's cars were trapped inside had to wait until the building was eventually demolished (along with their cars) to get anything out of insurance.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Everyone complaining about grinders and recip-saws loading up and exploding: belt sander at low speed+highest grit you can use for the medium for grinding and two tooth sizes bigger than you think you need for the sawzall.

E: was taught this by a 30 years-in-the-industry aircraft structural guy like 10 years ago, and it's never done me dirty since.

EE: for plexi, scribe--clamp-and-shear for forming long straight lines, low speed high grit for the rounded edges when you can't get it under a laser/water-jet.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 6, 2018

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

This is what happens when the bearings fail on a blower for a landfill gas flare. The fins and blower housing have had an unfortunate meeting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dissss posted:

Same thing happened here after an earthquake caused the ramps in a parking building to collapse - the people who's cars were trapped inside had to wait until the building was eventually demolished (along with their cars) to get anything out of insurance.

This is correct. The smarter move is to get confirmation that the cars are going to get crushed and pay out before the other companies do, making you look better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dissss posted:

So you're expecting that cars making a 15-20 foot freefall are just fine, despite bouncing off each other?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Godholio posted:

So you're expecting that cars making a 15-20 foot freefall are just fine, despite bouncing off each other?

He's talking about the cars that aren't in the broken part of the garage but possibly aren't accessible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cojawfee posted:

He's talking about the cars that aren't in the broken part of the garage but possibly aren't accessible.

Yeah the ones that fell are hosed but there are a bunch of others there that I bet will be too dangerous to retrieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Ah ok. :downs: