Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hardcore Henry is dope. It’s a complete mess, but it’s a mess that everyone involved is completely invested in, and I’m happy someone made a full go with the first person gimmick. I imagine it would make a fun drive-in double feature with Crank 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I fuckin love Hardcore (Henry), the only good videogame movie ever made.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Watching Welcome to the Jungle, a.k.a. The Rundown with Dwayne Johnson (back when he was always credited as "the Rock" in movies) and Seann William Scott. It sort of makes me miss the Rock's hair. :v:

For a very long time this was one of the movies I was always aware of because it was part of my dad's early DVD collection (others I've mentioned before: Minority Report, Mission: Impossible 2, The Perfect Storm, Charlie's Angels, Galaxy Quest) but it's a very fun adventure movie.

Could have made for a good ongoing series, but I feel like a sequel to it probably would've disappointed like most early 00s action movie sequels seemed to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks to those who suggested I jumped into MI a movie prior to Ghost Protocol, as I ended up enjoying 3 more than 4. Most likely because of PSH being just the best bad guy, and glad I got to see that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fart City posted:

Hardcore Henry is dope. It’s a complete mess, but it’s a mess that everyone involved is completely invested in, and I’m happy someone made a full go with the first person gimmick. I imagine it would make a fun drive-in double feature with Crank 2.

Sharlto Copley is so loving good in that film.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I do all my shopping in the clearance bins. . . and I got Wolf Warrior 2! Oh, my god, the sped-up tanks ended up looking extremely cute instead of macho! And those magic missiles that only hit tanks and not buildings. "Don't kill the Chinese! China is on the UN Security Council!!!!"

Good scenery, too. I love when a movie actually gives us a view. American movies are all in the back lot of downtown Hollywood, so all you get is super-close-ups of the stars' faces. :( I miss the days when a close-up didn't cut off the top of the actor's head.

Okay, I'll quit babbling, now, and see if I can find Wolf Warrior 1.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OYdWtyClg

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That's some good poo poo. Saw MI:6 again this weekend, knowing that Cruise did most, if not all, of his stunts just makes the film so much more fun to watch.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the one that stops right before the car hits the tree is a cock tease

the dudes that do the filming during the drop are loving nuts

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 6, 2018

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

It feels criminal that I only had to pay eight bucks to see this movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was already impressed by the movie but watching this just blew me away.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that the late Mary Ellen Trainor, who played the newscaster who interviews the psychiatrist about Stockholm syndrome in Die Hard, played the same character in the Denzel Washington movie Ricochet (the one where John Lithgrow tapes books to himself as armour while he swordfights a Nazi in prison).

The shared cinematic universe you never knew existed! :v:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned that the late Mary Ellen Trainor

Today I learned that Mary Ellen Trainor had died.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned that the late Mary Ellen Trainor, who played the newscaster who interviews the psychiatrist about Stockholm syndrome in Die Hard, played the same character in the Denzel Washington movie Ricochet (the one where John Lithgrow tapes books to himself as armour while he swordfights a Nazi in prison).

The shared cinematic universe you never knew existed! :v:
Same universe as Commando, as well: Val Verde, the country from where Esperanza was being extradited in Die Hard 2, is the same country that used to be ruled by Arius. I guess it didn't stay democratic for long. Steven de Souza (writer of Die Hard and Commando) also says that Predator was set there as well, but it's never mentioned in dialogue.

(Die Hard was at one point being considered as the basis of Commando 2, which would make for a weird alternate timeline where Bruce Willis was still best known as "the guy from Moonlighting".)

Things I didn't know until today: there's a genus of spider named after the cast and characters of Predator.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of like that sort of thing - that sort of low-key crossover concept where it's all based on Easter eggs like that because different companies all own the different series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Don't forget that David Peoples considers Soldier to exist in the same universe as Blade Runner.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Soldier is such an underappreciated gem. It's that "lord forgive me, I got to go back to tha old me" but as a feature length movie. Kurt Russel kicks rear end. It's got Loreena McKinnet on the soundtrack and it somehow works. He shoots one (1) guy with a rocket launcher for no reason when shooting him would have worked just fine. The villains get got in such a satisfying way. It also has quite possibly the quickest Chekov's Gun, where we see the training montage in the beginning. Teenage Todd shoots through a fake hostage to get to the target behind it, and then like one fucken minute later he shoots an ACTUAL hostage to the target. Why did they even have the setup?? Who cares!

Also there's a bunch of cool references in Todd's service record:

Plissken Patch! MacCready Cross! The BFG!!!

I love Soldier.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Wheat Loaf posted:

I kind of like that sort of thing - that sort of low-key crossover concept where it's all based on Easter eggs like that because different companies all own the different series.

I always had a personal theory that the events of Predator were John Matrix's last mission (under the codename Dutch Schaeffer) which led directly to his retirement.

Ofc., Bill Duke is playing two separate characters. Sometimes people just look similar!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harime Nui posted:

I always had a personal theory that the events of Predator were John Matrix's last mission (under the codename Dutch Schaeffer) which led directly to his retirement.

Real canon facts: Commando and Predator take place in the same fictional country (Val Verde, formerly Guatemala), which is also the origin of the villain in Die Hard 2. After Predator, Dutch was the used as the basis for the T-800 in a ‘good’ timeline where Cyberdyne Systems was apparently bought out by Weyland-Yutani and rebranded as Hyperdyne Systems.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Soldier is such an underappreciated gem. It's that "lord forgive me, I got to go back to tha old me" but as a feature length movie. Kurt Russel kicks rear end. It's got Loreena McKinnet on the soundtrack and it somehow works. He shoots one (1) guy with a rocket launcher for no reason when shooting him would have worked just fine. The villains get got in such a satisfying way. It also has quite possibly the quickest Chekov's Gun, where we see the training montage in the beginning. Teenage Todd shoots through a fake hostage to get to the target behind it, and then like one fucken minute later he shoots an ACTUAL hostage to the target. Why did they even have the setup?? Who cares!

Also there's a bunch of cool references in Todd's service record:

Plissken Patch! MacCready Cross! The BFG!!!

I love Soldier.

I always like that Todd didn't do like all the other Repressed Super Soldier movies and suddenly become a well-spoken, well-adjusted person as soon as he wakes up on the trash planet. He stays a barely-verbal, PTSD-ridden mass of twitches.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Soldier is like, peak dad laying on a couch on Sunday movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Real canon facts: Commando and Predator take place in the same fictional country (Val Verde, formerly Guatemala), which is also the origin of the villain in Die Hard 2. After Predator, Dutch was the used as the basis for the T-800 in a ‘good’ timeline where Cyberdyne Systems was apparently bought out by Weyland-Yutani and rebranded as Hyperdyne Systems.

There's also a fighting robot based on Arnie in Aliens Vs Predator - the video game, no not that one, or that, the side scrolling one.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Snowman_McK posted:

There's also a fighting robot based on Arnie in Aliens Vs Predator - the video game, no not that one, or that, the side scrolling one.

That's not a robot, it is Dutch Schaefer with a bionic arm :black101:

I think his in-game bio stated he lost his arm in the blast when the Predator killed himself at the end of the movie.

I must've finished that game a dozen times, it was really fun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BioTech posted:

That's not a robot, it is Dutch Schaefer with a bionic arm :black101:

I think his in-game bio stated he lost his arm in the blast when the Predator killed himself at the end of the movie.

I must've finished that game a dozen times, it was really fun.

Snowman_McK posted:

That’s what I’m referring to; the cyborg (i.e. not android) copy of Dutch has a Cyberdyne Systems serial number.

BioTech may be misremembering; cyber-Dutch was built like 100 years after Predator, and lost his arm in ‘The Second Alien War’.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

BioTech may be misremembering; cyber-Dutch was built like 100 years after Predator, and lost his arm in ‘The Second Alien War’.

You're right! One of my favorite beat-em-ups, but it has been a while.

I could've sworn someone lost an arm to a Predator explosion at some point, though.

At first I thought it may have been in the super wacky comic with the original idea for Predator 2. Dutch's big brother as a NY cop going to the jungle and a Russian nuclear power plant in Siberia.
However, paging through it I cannot find anything about it either.

Oh well

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I fuckin love Hardcore (Henry), the only good videogame movie ever made.
I was impressed with Resident Evil 5 the first time because I expected it to be so incredibly bad, but on a rewatch, most of the action isn't all that great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That last Resident Evil movie left one of its stunt performers really horribly injured in an accident - what the BBC always describes as "life-changing injuries" which seems like understating things to me - and I remember reading about it thinking no movie is worth that happening to a person, but it probably goes double for a Resident Evil movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The last Resident Evil movie was the only time I've thought "This sound mixing is unbearably bad" in the theatre.

Has anyone else noticed that the default sound of some kind of inhuman monster in a movie is high-pitched shrieking, and does anyone else find this more annoying than anything? I don't know why a dinosaur, a giant bat, a giant bug, and a dragon should all sound like the xenomorph from Alien. It's become as much a cliche as the "generator starting up" sound from every horror and sci-fi trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

I was impressed with Resident Evil 5 the first time because I expected it to be so incredibly bad, but on a rewatch, most of the action isn't all that great.

For some reason I like it when a director is overly enamored with how hot his wife is, so the RE movies don't bother me, per se. And it's really funny they had a big influence on the games, which have become action-packed to the point of ridiculous spectacle and every single character looks like an immaculately styled supermodel.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That last Resident Evil movie left one of its stunt performers really horribly injured in an accident - what the BBC always describes as "life-changing injuries" which seems like understating things to me - and I remember reading about it thinking no movie is worth that happening to a person, but it probably goes double for a Resident Evil movie.

Somebody getting bagged for Deadpool 2 left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

For some reason I like it when a director is overly enamored with how hot his wife is, so the RE movies don't bother me, per se.

I imagine the notoriously awkward sex scene in the second Underworld movie is as bad as it is because Kate Beckinsale was married to the director at the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine the notoriously awkward sex scene in the second Underworld movie is as bad as it is because Kate Beckinsale was married to the director at the time.

I'm of two minds about it, it's very Old Hollywood to have a weird fixation on a 'muse' that you are lovingly filming every inch of ala Hitchcock but at the same time it's cute that it's a vanity project about telling everyone how hot his wife is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

For some reason I like it when a director is overly enamored with how hot his wife is, so the RE movies don't bother me, per se. And it's really funny they had a big influence on the games, which have become action-packed to the point of ridiculous spectacle and every single character looks like an immaculately styled supermodel.

I find it charming that RE is basically like the Anderson/Jovovich family business at this point. Every few years it's like "hey honey, we could use a few mil, wanna make another Resident Evil?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm of two minds about it, it's very Old Hollywood to have a weird fixation on a 'muse' that you are lovingly filming every inch of ala Hitchcock but at the same time it's cute that it's a vanity project about telling everyone how hot his wife is.

And a project which brings in a second paycheque for the household.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, if not for that, I doubt RE would've gotten a second sequel, much less five.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I thought the early RE games were boring as poo poo and was happy when RE4 came out. The whole "giant amusement park ride castle built on an active volcano" was over the top, but the setting of RE2 and Code Veronica were already completely ridiculous.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the worst case of this sort of thing? In terms of box office disaster it's got to be Cutthroat Island, but that's actually a good movie with nothing lascivious in it. I would give it to all of the movies John Derek and Bo Derek made together.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 7, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the worst case of this sort of thing? In terms of box office disaster it's got to be Cutthroat Island, but that's actually a good movie with nothing lascivious in it. I would give it to all of the movies John Derek and Bo Derek made together.

Just in terms of nepotism? I suppose the tired, hoary old example at this point is Sophia Coppola in Godfather III (she is not great in it and Winona Ryder, who was Coppola's first choice, would have been better, but she was criticised a lot more harshly than the performance merited) but there's bound to be better examples.

If you mean directors or producers casting their other halves and getting them to take their kit off, I can't really think of many good examples.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Actually, I changed my mind: It's definitely Dario Argento and Asia Argento because directing your daughter in a sex scene is unbelievably gross

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Didnt Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song have him direct his son in a sex scene too?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

No, that's because they filmed the scene with nudity originally, and then Beckinsale went back on being willing to do nudity so they had to cut around the titty like a TV edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Didnt Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song have him direct his son in a sex scene too?

Yes.

And also the director claims the sex scene he (the director, not his son) performed with the same woman was unsimulated and resulted in STDs.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2018