Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I had some of my projects brought up in my interview at the place I'm currently at, and they asked questions about them in some detail, but I guess that was after I had cleared the initial resume + cover letter hurdles.

Probs also depends on what kind of position you're going after too. I'm front-end with explicit design duties, so having content that showed that I could design sites and apps decently was important. Might be less so for other areas.

Point being, I don't think you should totally neglect having strong projects, but yeah it sounds like the resume might be the first thing to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If you know enough / the right people, you don't really need a resume or sample projects. Instead of spending 40 hours on a project, use that time to go to meet ups or actively engage with people in other ways.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Thank you for your feedback.

I've shared my resume over PMs and gotten feedback from over a dozen goons in the Newbie thread and a few people in some Slack groups over this past year. I've also had it professionally re-made from scratch by the SA Mart guy last year, and I regularly post job search progress updates in the Newbie thread. Not comfortable posting it publicly but i'm happy to share it over PM if you guys want to see for yourself.

The only feedback on my resume that I get when I show it to people ranges from "decent" to "pretty great."

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A resume is a tool to get a faceless job. If you want a job where you matter as a person, you need to meet people face to face and make connections.

Both types of jobs have their pros and cons, but a keyword optimized resume is not the only path to a job.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
There's a post in the PYF Schadenfreude thread where a boyfriend and girlfriend, both the same age and working the same type of job, have wildly different jobs. Despite the boyfriend being more practical and intellectual his girlfriend has a much better job because she is more personable

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

nexus6 posted:

There's a post in the PYF Schadenfreude thread where a boyfriend and girlfriend, both the same age and working the same type of job, have wildly different jobs. Despite the boyfriend being more practical and intellectual his girlfriend has a much better job because she is more personable
or it's just sexism

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

The Merkinman posted:

or it's just sexism

First of all, I don't think that's how sexism works. Second of all, this really sounds like it depends on the job in question.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. I'm thinking about making a small online business/store.

I'm versed in website making with tools like Django, React, Webassembly, Heroku, Typescript etc. I'm good at making functional websites with good UIs and complex behavior, but not at making pages pretty.

Given that I just want a simple website that serves as a storefront, should I just use Squarespace etc? I feel like building one with DRF/React would involve reinventing the wheel for a generic problem that's been solved numerous times.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Squarespace/Wix will give you 95% of what you want for 10% of the time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ddiddles posted:

- Abraham Lincoln

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ddiddles posted:

That last 5%? That's the bespoke functionality the client can't live without.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

As a programmer, my main problem areas are: looking people in the eye; saying their name in conversation; speaking positively and assertively; sitting up straight; strong handshake; not actively avoiding unstructured conversations.

I doubt I'm ever going to be really good at interpersonal stuff, but I'm actively working on not sucking at it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

As a programmer, my main problem areas are: looking people in the eye; saying their name in conversation; speaking positively and assertively; sitting up straight; strong handshake; not actively avoiding unstructured conversations.

I doubt I'm ever going to be really good at interpersonal stuff, but I'm actively working on not sucking at it.
Perhaps being acutely aware of this and recognizing it as an obstacle, you could attempt to correct, one thing at a time. Make your goal today to make direct eye contact with everyone you have a conversation with; work down the list. These things can be deceptively difficult to improve, but can be fixed with a methodical, disciplined approach.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

nexus6 posted:

That last 5%? That's the bespoke functionality the client can't live without.

It's why we all have jobs, don't let them figure out they can live without it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ddiddles posted:

It's why we all have jobs, don't let them figure out they can live without it.

That's why people at Squarespace/Wix have jobs. Can you do external bespoke stuff for those sites or do you have to get their developers to do it?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Are there any online hackathons coming up? All the ones I can find are in person only and there are none in my area that I can attend.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Follow-up to my prev Q: I'm going to roll my own [online store] for practice, and because I have a unique layout.

How can I securely process payments etc? When I google online store, it mostly focuses on dets about managing orders in a DB, keeping a persistent shopping cart etc. I'm not worried about that; I think I can handle all that through state in React, and passing submitted orders or saved carts via POST calls to a rest API. What's the best place to start for accepting payment methods, and processing them securely? Also need to keep addresses/customer contact info secure. Should I use PayPal Business?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 3, 2018

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

Follow-up to my prev Q: I'm going to roll my own [online store] for practice, and because I have a unique layout.

How can I securely process payments etc? When I google online store, it mostly focuses on dets about managing orders in a DB, keeping a persistent shopping cart etc. I'm not worried about that; I think I can handle all that through state in React, and passing submitted orders or saved carts via POST calls to a rest API. What's the best place to start for accepting payment methods, and processing them securely? Also need to keep addresses/customer contact info secure. Should I use PayPal Business?

https://stripe.com/

Stripe is one of the most popular payment solutions and has a lot more features than Paypal.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

SimonChris posted:

https://stripe.com/

Stripe is one of the most popular payment solutions and has a lot more features than Paypal.
Thank you very much. Looks like it avoids a monthly fee, unlike PP. I can't tell from skimming the site: How would this tie in to a webapp? Eg do I send it a post request over HTTPS with encrypted address/ CC info from a form, and it sends back a success or fail message?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

Thank you very much. Looks like it avoids a monthly fee, unlike PP. I can't tell from skimming the site: How would this tie in to a webapp? Eg do I send it a post request over HTTPS with encrypted address/ CC info from a form, and it sends back a success or fail message?
You use Stripe's payment form, which gives you a credit card token, that you can then use to make a request from your server to charge the card. The advantage of this is that you never see the card data yourself, so you don't have to worry about security and PCI compliance. You can use a premade payment form or build your own using special Stripe form elements.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 3, 2018

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks; sounds easier than I'd guessed. Will likely go this route. Looks like This quickstart page provides details. This package containing React elements is probably how I'll approach. Love that I don't need to mess with this stuff in my backend sever and db.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 3, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's also Braintree.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

There's also Braintree.

Does Braintree have any advantages over Stripe?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'd like to receive monthly Google Analytics performance updates per mail, but can't find the option to enable them. The one Google help page I found, referred to a layout that's since been overhauled. Pretty cheap they redesign the website, but don't update the help page. Not sure if this is the right thread, sorry in advance.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Can I ask an azure question here?

I'm trying to deploy my rails app to Azure, using the linux ruby 2.3.3 image. My app won't come up though, and my current issue is that it's not running bundle install on deployment. It did run it a few times, but I have no idea how I triggered it.

Does anyone have azure experience that can tell me how to get the bundle install running when I push to azure? I also can't ssh into the server, I can only kudu with a bash which doesn't let me run the commands I normally would. so if I could also get a tip on why the hell the web shell ssh isn't working that'd be much appreciated.

Azure is bad I hate it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SimonChris posted:

I can't give you a solid answer since I'm a designer but at my last job our devs hated working with Braintree and were really happy to move to Stripe.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SimonChris posted:

I do not know, but a quick google of "braintree vs stripe" shows a lot of articles comparing the two. I will definitely do that search and read those articles next time I'm in the position to pick something like that.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Where do y'all like hosting commercial SPAs? Eg something like GH Pages, but with a TOS that allows business. No DB/server code etc. AmazonS3? Surge?

I found a way to do it on Heroku mixed with the backend code, but it's a bit awk (involves duping part of package.json, special static config etc), and you have to pay a good deal to a third-party certificate authority to get https on a custom domain.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 3, 2018

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Are there any online hackathons coming up? All the ones I can find are in person only and there are none in my area that I can attend.

Amazon has an AWS SAM hackathon going now. It's themed around ending human trafficking but you can make whatever you want.

Dominoes posted:

Where do y'all like hosting commercial SPAs? Eg something like GH Pages, but with a TOS that allows business. No DB/server code etc. AmazonS3? Surge?

I found a way to do it on Heroku mixed with the backend code, but it's a bit awk (involves duping part of package.json, special static config etc), and you have to pay a good deal to a third-party certificate authority to get https on a custom domain.

Gonna throw Netlify out there. They do free SSL and domain aliasing that I think includes free SSL. The overall Netlify experience is generally very good.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dominoes posted:

A reserved micro instance on EC2 will be dirt cheap and you can get free SSL from them or let's encrypt.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Incidentally it looks like one of the Game Jam websites added a Hackathon category just this week so I thought it'd be good to share it here in case anyone else cares: https://crowdforge.io/hackathons

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yay, Chrome 69 finally has support for 2d OffScreenCanvas

https://blog.chromium.org/2018/08/chrome-69-beta-av1-video-decoder-css.html

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been looking to take some kind of intensive design course after work. I'm a software engineer and have been designing the UI for most of the personal projects I've worked on so I've got some experience. My company will pay up to $3000 per year for whatever I want to learn. I was thinking of doing General Assembly's course in Boston. Any thoughts of other classes worth pursuing?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

MrMoo posted:

Yay, Chrome 69 finally has support for 2d OffScreenCanvas

https://blog.chromium.org/2018/08/chrome-69-beta-av1-video-decoder-css.html

Nice

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What I see:

What my client sees:

They claim they're not zoomed in. I have media queries in place that should make it so this doesn't happen. Their screenshot says it's 1920x1080, and they just checked for me to confirm. Same resolution as my screen. To see what they're seeing on any browser on either of my computers, I have to resize the screen to about 1244x620. What's going on?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could you give them directions on how to use an inspect tool and screenshot the computed size of the text so you can first weed out if it's a code issue or not?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are the DPI/scaling settings the same on both computers?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Did you have them hit the reset zoom key anyways?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Crazy question, are you zoomed in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Could you give them directions on how to use an inspect tool and screenshot the computed size of the text so you can first weed out if it's a code issue or not?

What kind of code issue would cause this? They come back to me a lot saying my sites look broken like this. I imagine they'd notice if they were viewing all sites at 1280x720, so what could I be doing wrong?

I'll try the other stuff mentioned.

Putting this here just in case:
code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">