Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe every room that has booze and glassware gets it's own dishwasher? Office has a few bottles, needs it's own dishwasher. You can't expect rich people to carry their empty glasses all the way to the nearest kitchen.

Running a whole dishwasher because you have a couple dirty glasses would be a bit of an environmental atrocity though.
Yeah, that's why it'd be right up her alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It could contain a bunch of secret laboratories. Those need dishwashers too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Multiple bathrooms I get. Multiple kitchens, though :wtf:

Also 3 kitchens but 8 dishwashers? Where are the extra 5 dishwashers?

Does every second bathroom have a dishwasher?

Don't mind me honey, just washing me dishes while I'm taking a poo poo, here!

Having the same number of kitchens and bedrooms suggests to me there's basically three complete suites, like it's actually three houses that have merged into one weirdo cultist compound.

The extra bathrooms and dishwashers are presumably spread across multiple recreational/party areas. I still can't work out what all the dishwasher are for, though, unless it really is so you don't have to carry glasses farther than one room.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 8, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

a house that big only has three bedrooms???

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Multiple dishwashers makes sense if you entertain a lot but don't have a proper commercial kitchen/scullery for whatever reason.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Zereth posted:

a house that big only has three bedrooms???

Yeah, what's the point of giant fuckoff summer house on the water with massive entertaining space if you can't go maximum Downton Abbey and invite your rich bastard friends to spend the night.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“They’re slaves” is one of the better explanations, TBQH.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Running a whole dishwasher because you have a couple dirty glasses would be a bit of an environmental atrocity though.

Modern dishwashers should be capable of recognizing how much cleaning they have to do and using only enough water to get those things clean. They're absolutely more environmentally friendly than hand-washing a large number of dishes, and people shouldn't be afraid of running the dishwasher when it's not 100% full. I don't know where exactly the cutoff is though; is it still a good idea to run the dishwasher if there's only a half-dozen glasses in it?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If they're that worried about the environment they should prepare snacks on plates to fill the dishwasher up more.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It's perfectly reasonable to have three kitchens. They have their regular kitchen, their kosher kitchen, and the kitchen where they roast the poor people they hunt for sport.

Just kidding, there's no way they actually eat the people they hunt, that wouldn't be wasteful enough.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, the servants have to eat somehow, right?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I thought all you morons claimed to know your poo poo. You need three kitchens for a proper work triangle, obviously.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Someone once pointed out that having 2 dishwashers in your kitchen was a worthwhile luxury.

You'd take clean dishes from one washer, use them and then place them in the second washer.
Run the wash cycle and then start taking from the second one.

Repeat forever and it means you never need to unload an entire dishwasher and put all your plates onto shelves.

Of course, you aren't really going to be appreciating this ease of use if you have a team of underlings to do all this for you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also it's a super expensive way to have very awkward cupboards.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

DeVos and the administration she works with are already an environmental atrocity though. :v:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

PetraCore posted:

I didn't realize that was 'only' her summer home and now I'm just very upset.

She has another house in Grand Rapids, so her summer home and home home are like 30 minutes apart.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

nielsm posted:

I don't know if this is genius or terrible, but I saw it today.

If residential, terrible. If around an automotive recycling yard to keep the man-eating security dogs in, perfect.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe every room that has booze and glassware gets it's own dishwasher? Office has a few bottles, needs it's own dishwasher. You can't expect rich people to carry their empty glasses all the way to the nearest kitchen.

If you can afford eight dishwashers, one Enrique to follow you around and wash the glasses in the bar sink would probably be cheaper and avoid the :effort: of taking the glasses to the dishwasher. #lifehacks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Like I guess the Duggar house technically has 3 bedrooms, too. 1 regular master bedroom and 2 cavernous halls full of bunk beds, with walk-in closets of denim shirts.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

is it still a good idea to run the dishwasher if there's only a half-dozen glasses in it?

Ignoring the electricity use (which is <1kWh per load ~$.08), the most recent Energy Star requires <3.5 gallons of water per cycle (https://www.energystar.gov/products/appliances/dishwashers/key_product_criteria). Assuming it uses the most water, and assuming a faucet flow rate of 2GPM (https://www.home-water-works.org/indoor-use/faucet), you'd have to be able to wash the dishes with less than 1m 45s of water running.

That's probably doable by hand if you're diligent about shutting the water off between: initial rinse, soap/scrub, final rinse for a handful of glasses. It starts to become less likely if you're washing a bunch of silverware or have dishes that require soaking.

Really though, you're probably spending more on the dishwasher pod/liquid per load than the water/energy. All in total, it's probably $.75-$1 to run a load. Enough that I don't want to run multiple loads a day if I can help it, but not enough to make me want to waste time handwashing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also it's a super expensive way to have very awkward cupboards.

New idea: Wall mounted cabinets that are also dishwashers

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The extra bathrooms and dishwashers are presumably spread across multiple recreational/party areas. I still can't work out what all the dishwasher are for, though, unless it really is so you don't have to carry glasses farther than one room.

In any home where you entertain, having two dishwashers in the same kitchen, right next to each other, is not only awesome, but becoming pretty common. I'm sure the rest are at wet bars to handle glassware. The two drawer kind that can be run independently are great for that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

In any home where you entertain, having two dishwashers in the same kitchen, right next to each other, is not only awesome, but becoming pretty common. I'm sure the rest are at wet bars to handle glassware. The two drawer kind that can be run independently are great for that.

Enrique wears no drawers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FCKGW posted:

New idea: Wall mounted cabinets that are also dishwashers

Raise the stakes on this; make it an entire stainless steel kitchen that is also a hobart, so you just seal the doors and the entire thing cleans itself and the contents with pressurized water and steam.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Chillbro Baggins posted:

If residential, terrible. If around an automotive recycling yard to keep the man-eating security dogs in, perfect.

Yeah. Except for the zip ties, this is a good looking reuse of old bike tires. I'd never put it at my house, but definitely fits in near a bike shop or recycling yard.

Ashcans posted:

Raise the stakes on this; make it an entire stainless steel kitchen that is also a hobart, so you just seal the doors and the entire thing cleans itself and the contents with pressurized water and steam.

This is my dream kitchen.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZ5kmoICtw

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

When you start talking about kitchen cleaning, the thing that always jumps to mind for me instead is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7NDP8V-6A

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Reminds me of the Top Gear Blender....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This could go in a few different threads but this is a good one for electrical wtf.

Typical 12v charger:

Oh wait

I'm guessing the risk of somebody getting zapped with 13v 1.5a from those exposed prongs was judged to be less than the risk of someone unknowingly plugging the pigtail into 110v and frying the motorcycle it used to be permanently wired into. Probably.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's also a neat taser to have around the house.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

I'm guessing the risk of somebody getting zapped with 13v 1.5a from those exposed prongs was judged to be less than the risk of someone unknowingly plugging the pigtail into 110v and frying the motorcycle it used to be permanently wired into. Probably.

The cable was cut and that plug/socket pair inserted after the device was purchased. Probably the cheapest pair that could be purchased, and done in response to riding off with a previous battery charger attached and wrecking a bunch of poo poo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EoRaptor posted:

The cable was cut and that plug/socket pair inserted after the device was purchased. Probably the cheapest pair that could be purchased, and done in response to riding off with a previous battery charger attached and wrecking a bunch of poo poo.

Also maybe the socket isn't meant to leave the vehicle, in which case you're going to have prongs to 13v either way.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah it definitely makes sense for the application, I just felt it worth posting due to live exposed male plug.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Personally I'd have wired it the other way around and then mounted the plug on the end of a stick so I can ride my electric go ped wielding a cattle prod and become a superhero of the real world.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dishwashers are crazy efficient nowadays, and it's almost always less efficient to wash by hand. It's one area where the Energy Star requirements were not only doable, but actually improved tech a poo poo-ton in the last 10 years.

My damned Sharper Image-branded countertop dishwasher (Ivation) cleans a thousand times better than the built-in that was at my last house, and that built-in was put there in 2005.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Re multiple kitchens:

My grand parents house had two kitchens. They built that house, and a couple other relatives, who lived on the same street, and all built their houses too, all had more than one kitchen in their house. I'm talking the main house, not like in some out building/garage or whatever.
I never saw my grandma use the "other" kitchen, but it was fully equipped, like full size stove, fridge, double sinks, lots of counter and cupboard space etc.

The other relatives had the same thing. It might be an Italian thing because they were all from there.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Re multiple kitchens:

My grand parents house had two kitchens. They built that house, and a couple other relatives, who lived on the same street, and all built their houses too, all had more than one kitchen in their house. I'm talking the main house, not like in some out building/garage or whatever.
I never saw my grandma use the "other" kitchen, but it was fully equipped, like full size stove, fridge, double sinks, lots of counter and cupboard space etc.

The other relatives had the same thing. It might be an Italian thing because they were all from there.

Was one on the main floor, one in the basement? That's called a "mother in law suite".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kid sinister posted:

Was one on the main floor, one in the basement? That's called a "mother in law suite".

Their house has a kind of funny layout. The main kitchen was in the basement. Thats where the family room, laundry, bathroom etc was. The main floor, or I guess the ground level floor had the "never saw it used kitchen", master bedroom, and living room. Complete with furniture and tea service set covered with plastic. The upper floor had one bedroom......... Thats all. Just one bedroom.
:shrug: I guess it made sense at the time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

wesleywillis posted:

Re multiple kitchens:

Similar deal here. Back in the early 50's, when my immigrant grandparents built their house, they built the basement first (with a kitchen), mostly moved into that, then built the rest of the house. Lots of people in the community did that, and helped each other build their houses.

Basement kitchen wasn’t the main one, but got used a lot around holidays, during canning time, and for stuff that had hours-long cooking times.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wesleywillis posted:

Their house has a kind of funny layout. The main kitchen was in the basement. Thats where the family room, laundry, bathroom etc was. The main floor, or I guess the ground level floor had the "never saw it used kitchen", master bedroom, and living room. Complete with furniture and tea service set covered with plastic. The upper floor had one bedroom......... Thats all. Just one bedroom.
:shrug: I guess it made sense at the time.

The rare and elusive Show Kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

Re multiple kitchens:

I see this frequently in South Philadelphia.

The main kitchen, on the ground floor, was the "show" kitchen: gleaming, perfect appliances, everything in it's place; the only things used were the coffee-maker and the toaster (and refrigerator).

The heavy cooking was done in the basement kitchen, which had the older (and usually industrial-grade) appliances.