Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Now fight the urge to disappear forever.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Thanks everybody. The best thing about BJJ so far is all the cool people I've met and this thread is no exception.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Now fight the urge to disappear forever.

Except for times I've been traveling, I've averaged 5-6 hours of training per week over the past year, and my single stated goal for the next year is to keep training as regularly/consistently as possible.

That being said we have a kid on the way at the end of the month, so I know that training frequency is going to take a hit for at least the foreseeable.

My wife has been very cool with my wanting to resume and maintain regular training as soon as possible after the baby comes but I'm not sure what's a realistic expectation.

Anyone out there a have advice or experience balancing newborns and training?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm the wrong person to talk to because I trained while my wife was still in the hospital recovering from her c section. I'd leave the hospital to go to the gym. I did switch from evening training to early morning training but otherwise continued a 5 day a week training schedule.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I found an hour a week is pretty reasonable for the first few months, and then you can probably crank it up to two hours a week. Then you'll just kind of have to periodically reassess what's fair based on your personal situation. I'm switching to 6am classes because I noticed my wife is always more grumpy at night than in the morning (from parenting all day), so I figure I can get away with more hours if I train when she's in a good mood and then spend my evenings helping her out. Customize based on your own situation.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

butros posted:

Anyone out there a have advice or experience balancing newborns and training?

I have many children. It just depends on your kid/wife/family.

If your baby isn't one of the quiet ones, that'll just sit/nap in the stroller while you roll, you might have to change your class times/dates to match up with people who can watch the baby while you train.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our club has many parents bring their kids - some since they were newborns - to chill out on the side of the mat while they train.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Have you guys ever reflected on martial arts you took as a kid or teen and suddenly realized it was mostly bullshit.

I've been thinking about the years I did Hapkido and suddenly realized it was really suspicious that we never sparred and were forbidden from doing competitions because it was "disohonorable to fight for glory"

Like even though I universally am getting my rear end kicked in BJJ I still feel confident about it because at least I know what would happen if I did this against something other than a padded mitt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mine wasn't. Best lesson I ever learned was "if you get hit with something, and you're not sure what it was or where it came from, STAY DOWN" This has saved my stupid rear end several times. Other lessons include "try speaking politely at all times because even that 8 yr old girl over there can murk you" and "never narrow your body weight because you will get knocked over"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Our club has many parents bring their kids - some since they were newborns - to chill out on the side of the mat while they train.

We have this and I hate it. Mostly because they don't chill out. They're running around, screaming, playing on iPads, etc etc the entire class.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I did "karate" as a kid and looking back I realize it was actually legit kyokushin instruction and it owned

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Took judo as a kid so no bullshit there.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats butros!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Blue belt squad form up.

Congratulations.

15 year old that I outweigh by 90lbs arm-bared me 3 times tonight in one roll...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
you guys get injured a lot. i'll ask yall. training partner of mine has knees that are causing him immense pain. sitting on a bench with no weight on them he'll raise them up and you can hear audible crackling and popping but with no pain. when weight is on them he's in agony. ultrasounds, x-rays, mri's have all come up clear. blood tests show no arthritis markers. normal squats cause the most pain, sumo squats cause significantly less pain. has anyone got any loving idea what this might be?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

you guys get injured a lot. i'll ask yall. training partner of mine has knees that are causing him immense pain. sitting on a bench with no weight on them he'll raise them up and you can hear audible crackling and popping but with no pain. when weight is on them he's in agony. ultrasounds, x-rays, mri's have all come up clear. blood tests show no arthritis markers. normal squats cause the most pain, sumo squats cause significantly less pain. has anyone got any loving idea what this might be?

sounds like he's got bad knees

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

sounds like he's got bad knees

this is literally two different doctor's official diagnosis

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

That sounds like the osgood schlatter symptoms I had as a kid, but that supposedly only impacts children and adolescents and at least for me it went away around 17ish. How old is the guy? I recall my doctor saying that a very small percentage of people keep growing into their 20s and can experience similar symptoms, but that its beyond incredibly rare.

My knees never stopped doing the crackling and popping thing because the bone growth that causes the noises stays behind after the pain goes away and you can aggravate the area pretty easily in my experience. But I dont experience significant pain as long as I'm not doing dumb things like slamming my knees into the mat repeatedly.

e: that should have shown up on x-rays and MRIs though now that I think about it. So I have no idea at all then.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 12, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Marching Powder posted:

I know its not a treatment but has he tried wraps or braces? When I get joint pain its amazing what a little compression can do.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I asked a doctor and she said that the fact that the pain is proportional to the weight load in the joint makes her think that it's meniscal, but that it has been MRIed made her shrug and say "well buddy has bad knees then."

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

First roll in a long while and I got my neck crunched once again with my teammate attempting to step over my head with a kimura but just neck cranking me with his thigh... gently caress. I feel a lot of pain in between my shoulder blades. Gotta love jiu jitsu.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

heeebrew posted:

First roll in a long while and I got my neck crunched once again with my teammate attempting to step over my head with a kimura but just neck cranking me with his thigh... gently caress. I feel a lot of pain in between my shoulder blades. Gotta love jiu jitsu.

I get a lot of neck pain and stiffness in that exact spot when I roll after a long break. The first time I literally couldn't turn my head the next day.

It only happens to me after time off so the cure is simple: train more.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

heeebrew posted:

I get the same thing. I think its from all the pulling and holding.

A lot of arm butterflies as a warm up helps a ton

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The insides of my elbows are very sore recently. Any ideas on why and how to prevent? It goes away after an hour

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

The insides of my elbows are very sore recently. Any ideas on why and how to prevent? It goes away after an hour

This is the part of my elbow that hurts/breaks when put in an americana. Though my soreness was only present in that position.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spb posted:

Sounds like you've got bad elbows

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

spb posted:

Could it be the tendon the connects to the bicep?

I've had problems with that since I had a stupid crossshit phase in college where we did Murph (a workout with 100 weighted pullups) every week.

Honestly, I'm about ready to try HGH in a couple years or so to see if it helps since apparently that heals the poo poo out of your tendons, though I've never messed around with PEDs yet and HGH is not a good starter one. It's gotten better over time but I'll get pain in both if I go ham on pullups.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 12, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

The insides as in the pit on the opposite side or the inside as in like, in the core of the elbow?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Could it be the tendon the connects to the bicep?

Honestly, I'm about ready to try HGH in a couple years or so to see if it helps since apparently that heals the poo poo out of your tendons, though I've never messed around with PEDs yet and HGH is not a good starter one.

Yes, strained tendons are a thing.

Paging Willie_Dee to the steroid podium please. In all seriousness, HGH + a little bit of test will have you feeling like you're 19 again.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Marching Powder posted:

Sounds familiar. I was in a similar boat years ago, and after several X-rays and MRIs , a diagnosis of chondromalacia patellae (read: "you got bad knees"), and a bunch of physical therapy, what ultimately did the trick was... heavy squats. Squat stance is a pretty variable thing based on a person's hip orientation and femur/tibia length, so tell your friend to keep sumo squatting away if that's what works for his knees.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nestharken posted:

Sounds familiar. I was in a similar boat years ago, and after several X-rays and MRIs , a diagnosis of chondromalacia patellae (read: "you got bad knees"), and a bunch of physical therapy, what ultimately did the trick was... heavy squats. Squat stance is a pretty variable thing based on a person's hip orientation and femur/tibia length, so tell your friend to keep sumo squatting away if that's what works for his knees.

that's cool, i'll pass that on. thanks to all for the crowdsourcing of possible diagnoses.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tonight a girl taught me that I've been doing benchpresses wrong this whole time lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Tonight a girl taught me that I've been doing benchpresses wrong this whole time lol

fill us in

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sounds like you've got bad elbows

classic case of the bad bows my dude

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

JaySB posted:

Yes, strained tendons are a thing.

Paging Willie_Dee to the steroid podium please. In all seriousness, HGH + a little bit of test will have you feeling like you're 19 again.

They never totally heal too, it's almost a decade later from my teen crossfit years and they still flair up.

The personal goal for myself before I touch gear is that want to at least be repping my squat PR of 315 as a training weight. But yeah, I'm hoping a quick, short test e cycle will finally but the tendon issues to rest, and if not, I'll know a lot more before I start pinning HGH.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

They never totally heal too, it's almost a decade later from my teen crossfit years and they still flair up.

The personal goal for myself before I touch gear is that want to at least be repping my squat PR of 315 as a training weight. But yeah, I'm hoping a quick, short test e cycle will finally but the tendon issues to rest, and if not, I'll know a lot more before I start pinning HGH.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, good luck with it.

My shoulder didn't heal on Test, but now I have power in my jab I'm not using it 500 times a minute.

Hgh would be my next port of call but I don't want to get that into roiding, as fun as it is. Seeing a chiropracter did nothing sadly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am stone cold petrified of ever touching any performance drug for any reason ever so more power to the guys considering it

I had a blue belt compliment me the other day for using an advanced guard into knee bar when he tried to stand up guard pass me and I was like "I did what now?" because I was just flailing randomly.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am stone cold petrified of ever touching any performance drug for any reason ever so more power to the guys considering it

I'd say wait until your 50's, early 60's, before you think seriously about it.

My uncle is 73 and uses test (probably HGH too) and he looks fucken ripped and rides a motorcycle everywhere (and seems to feel great). He's in a large motorcycle club so he's living that lifestyle too.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

spacetoaster posted:

I'd say wait until your 50's, early 60's, before you think seriously about it.

My uncle is 73 and uses test (probably HGH too) and he looks fucken ripped and rides a motorcycle everywhere (and seems to feel great). He's in a large motorcycle club so he's living that lifestyle too.

That's my plan eventually, trt. Yea you might die quicker but who wants to slowly succumb and get to 90. I'd rather live like a 20 year old until I'm 60ish than get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Since we're on the topic of injuries and exercises:

I hurt my back around a year ago and it flared up again recently. It gets better, but slowly. The lesson I think is I need to maintain exercises to keep it healthy. Yoga, deadlifts and core work were the physio prescription.

But since it was DLs that hurt me last time, I'm a bit spooked on 'em. Do you guys have suggestions for another hip-hinge exercise? Kettlebell swings look fun, but I'm not sure if they're appropriate.