Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I can't loving log into any register, it says my password is invalid and all of their attempts to use recovery passwords also don't work, and they don't know how to fix it lol

I'm literally the front-end supervisor and I can't loving log in or do returns for cashiers or even clock in/out :waycool:

our registers have been making GBS threads themselves for months and months but it's just getting worse. can't complete transactions, constantly disconnecting from the server (which has stopped being supported btw), stops being capable of scanning mid-transaction, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

So guy comes in to ship papers. We give him a letter express envelope (flat) and ship his stuff. He comes back and says he can't find his phone and wants to use ours to report it stolen. So he calls the police and says that he thinks he accidentally dropped his phone in the package he was sending and that we were refusing to open his package to let him check. Police arrive, we show them the completely flat envelope that the customer shipped. The customer was demanding to see our cameras to make sure we didn't steal it. Police talk to the customer outside. Turns out when he came in, he left his windows down and his door open. So yeah... gently caress you customer

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will gladly be That Customer and call and complain about any creep in your stores.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Duckman2008 posted:

No, you should be creeped out and concerned for safety with someone like that.

With those messages, the manager should ban him and he every excuse to do that. If Corp throws a fit because the customer “is upset” then that’s a lawsuit on Starbucks waiting to happen. It’s 2018, poo poo happens, and if you are an employee of any sort, let alone manager, you have a customer creepy stalk your employees, get loving digital proof, and don’t kick him out, Starbucks can become liable for that poo poo. It’s their job to create a reasonably safe work environment.

bumping this to new page

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
He does have BO, and that counts as disturbing other customers. Maybe I: File complaint to store, pretend to be customer, say he reeked and other customers were visibly offended by it, too but were too polite to bring it up to management because who wants to be that rear end in a top hat right?? SM has to respond, can't have them going up the ladder

Might get some other female coworkers together and draft an email to the DM or schedule a meeting. I think she'd be more open if we talked to her about it whereas most of my supervisors and my SM are male so they're not the ones being stared at or made uncomfortable. They're even friendly with him. "Oh he's homeless, be nice to him" I will not be nice to this Chris Griffin looking motherfucker ever. He gets the basic politeness I'm paid to have and that's it.

Don't like it at all. I'm thinking about how his car is parked at our store at night and he knows what we drive and when we leave and what if one night he has the mind to follow one of us home just to see where we live but now I'm scaring myself so I'll stop. Once again I feel like I'm overreacting but I'm so sick of him standing there like a loving rear end in a top hat just waiting for us to refill his stupid water without any word at all like we're his servants. And I get that I work in customer service, but most civilized people say SOMETHING at the very least

You know the gas station across town has free wifi and water fountains?? Why doesn't he go there? Because young, bubbly, attractive girls dont (usually) work at gas stations

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ask your SM as a group to bar him. If he refuses go to your DM and/or call HR.

The SM may not get just how much of a creep the dude is being. I'm the ASM at my store and we have several female team members. I honestly have trouble knowing where to draw the line with customers being creeps with them. They don't say anything so over the line that I can tell them to gently caress off without having to risk corporate coming down on the store over it, but are still fuckoff creepy. All I can do is tell them if a customer gets weird, ask them to leave, grab me if necessary and I'll happily tell corporate to gently caress off if it comes to that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elmnt80 posted:

The SM may not get just how much of a creep the dude is being. I'm the ASM at my store and we have several female team members. I honestly have trouble knowing where to draw the line with customers being creeps with them. They don't say anything so over the line that I can tell them to gently caress off without having to risk corporate coming down on the store over it, but are still fuckoff creepy. All I can do is tell them if a customer gets weird, ask them to leave, grab me if necessary and I'll happily tell corporate to gently caress off if it comes to that.

Have you ever taken a video of yourself talking with one of these creeps about which of your staff are of age and single?

The main problem isn't the creep, it's the management.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

No, you should be creeped out and concerned for safety with someone like that.

With those messages, the manager should ban him and he every excuse to do that. If Corp throws a fit because the customer “is upset” then that’s a lawsuit on Starbucks waiting to happen. It’s 2018, poo poo happens, and if you are an employee of any sort, let alone manager, you have a customer creepy stalk your employees, get loving digital proof, and don’t kick him out, Starbucks can become liable for that poo poo. It’s their job to create a reasonably safe work environment.

Is he really a customer if all he gets is the free cup of water?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Yeah all he gets is water

Sometimes, and I mean very rarely, he'll buy like a cookie or something

He literally just uses our Wi-Fi and our bathrooms. And one venti cold cup a day.

So it won't be like we're banning a paying customer, why should management give a gently caress?

And that supervisor really should show those chat logs to our SM, I'm going to ask him to and if he doesnt I'll let the SM know about it myself

Edit: but remember that in our bias training we were told to let non paying customers stay in our lobby if they arent causing a disruption. I'll really have to play up the creep factor instead of whether he buys stuff or not. My DM is nice and wonderful but even she is a slave to her overlords

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 11, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Have you ever taken a video of yourself talking with one of these creeps about which of your staff are of age and single?

The main problem isn't the creep, it's the management.

No, the few times someones asked personal information about an employee, they get told its nobodies business but the employees. That poo poo can gently caress straight off.

And yeah, after rereading and seeing that its a supervisor, not the sm, that chatted with the creep about the employees, the appropriate response (for the sm) is to have a nice long chat with the supervisor, give him the nastiest writeup possible for wherever this is and boot the creep with permission to trespass his rear end if he even sets foot in the parking lot.

Edit: But yeah, the part with the supervisor being the one to chitchat with the creep took several readings to sink in. I have to take regularly scheduled confidential information and sexual harrassment training every 3-6 months and have since I got promoted to any kind of supervisor position. Its mind boggling to me that someone would think thats a good idea. (Regardless of position, etc.)

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 11, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unfortunately Starbucks in particular is bad because, due to recent events, their upper management is going to be super paranoid about barring non-customers from the store.

Nevertheless sexual harrassment isn't cool and I really hope the SM has the balls to punt the rear end in a top hat.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Even before those recent events, there was that one famously creepy guy who got banned from a Starbucks for being a creepy guy and then got media attention for it.

Stores in general are really bad at curbing this kind of behavior.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Even corporate, music job types employers suck away it TBH. The stories my female coworkers have told me about poo poo that has gone down and then gotten swept under the rug by HR are absurd.

It pisses mee of on a human level for sure. But as a professional and someone who in the course of his job has to consider risk and reward and balance sheet impact, it pisses me off even more. Why would you let someone hang around who is destroying morale, making it hard for your employees to work, and putting you at risk of a lawsuit? From a business standpoint it makes no goddamn sense unless you are a loving idiot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Customer is Always Right.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

The Snoo posted:

I can't loving log into any register, it says my password is invalid and all of their attempts to use recovery passwords also don't work, and they don't know how to fix it lol

I'm literally the front-end supervisor and I can't loving log in or do returns for cashiers or even clock in/out :waycool:

our registers have been making GBS threads themselves for months and months but it's just getting worse. can't complete transactions, constantly disconnecting from the server (which has stopped being supported btw), stops being capable of scanning mid-transaction, etc.

ticket closed: register working as intended.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

therobit posted:

It pisses mee of on a human level for sure. But as a professional and someone who in the course of his job has to consider risk and reward and balance sheet impact, it pisses me off even more. Why would you let someone hang around who is destroying morale, making it hard for your employees to work, and putting you at risk of a lawsuit? From a business standpoint it makes no goddamn sense unless you are a loving idiot.

It was a painfully but profoundly enlightening moment for me when I learned, directly from executives, that big retail corporations want the morale of their grunt workers to be low. More accurately and specifically, they want the grunt workers to believe and accept that this is their lot in life, that nothing will ever change, and there's nothing they can do about it but ineffectually complain.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was a painfully but profoundly enlightening moment for me when I learned, directly from executives, that big retail corporations want the morale of their grunt workers to be low. More accurately and specifically, they want the grunt workers to believe and accept that this is their lot in life, that nothing will ever change, and there's nothing they can do about it but ineffectually complain.

May Jim Sinegal and Craig Jelenic run a train on all their assess with no vaseline.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Promote me and another female coworker to replace the supervisors that cant do their job and the gender balance becomes reversed, in a meeting with the SM and DM we vote to subject all creeps and harassers to being tarred and feathered in our parking lot

Radical action. My retail sector Amazonian girl squad starts making t-shirts and patches.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The new SM scheduled this weekend so the other key and were alone most of the day... On the weekend, an unusually busy weekend at that. Worse for the other key as she was stuck completely alone until I got there. Luckly the guy who does weekends and monday showed up when he normally does at 4pm, instead of at 6pm.

I can tell the new SM did it to gently caress us up and make it look like we didn't get poo poo done, but we did, we got the truck mostly put up, and I reset 2 PoGs (didn't get the ad out because it looks like the new SM threw this weeks out when she was cleaning).

New SM wants us to stop stocking at 5pm and do facing, but when there's one person until 4, that's not going to happen. I told the other key to face and that I and the weekend stocker will put up the truck. Ya know, cause I'm not going to fall for purposefully getting set up to fail. Also the schedule make it so the other key can't get to the bank this whole weekend, so I'm going in early tomorrow to give her time to get to the bank, cause we're out of change.

Friday will be fun, as she scheduled the weekend guy to work then, but he can't, as he has another job, so he's coming in on his normal schedule, so I have no one to close with on friday. By company policy, I can't keep the store open at night alone, and have to close it at 7pm. The SM was aware of this, and scheduled it like that on purpose as well.

Fun story: I almost lost my mind over hearing "the middle" and like 4 other songs every 30 minutes on the radio station the morning lady like, so I flipped it to my favorote station, and at 7 they decided to play this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

no one noticed. Same when about 4 months ago they played NIN's I wanna gently caress you like an Animal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anora posted:

I can tell the new SM did it to gently caress us up and make it look like we didn't get poo poo done, but we did, we got the truck mostly put up, and I reset 2 PoGs (didn't get the ad out because it looks like the new SM threw this weeks out when she was cleaning).

My dude, this is a major blunder. Never, ever allow your superiors to learn what you are capable of at 100% effort. It will instantly become their baseline expectation.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Went back to work after a week off between department changes. The boss had clearly yelled at the two slackers who've been in charge of the department, and had them busting rear end all week to fix things before I started back in the department. I had three different managers ask me some variation of "looks pretty good, doesn't it?"

I worked one and a quarter aisles over 6.5 hours. Almost every single thing in the overheads dropped. I found at least one box that was 100% full directly above its bay, with an empty gap on the shelf, and we haven't sold that item at all since last month (so it's not like the last item just sold and the gap was new, it was there when they worked the aisle).

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How in the world did you expect anything else? Sounded from your last couple posts on the subject like you knew exactly what you were going to find.

Gotta believe evidence, not poo poo people say.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

How in the world did you expect anything else? Sounded from your last couple posts on the subject like you knew exactly what you were going to find.

Gotta believe evidence, not poo poo people say.

Oh, I'm honestly more surprised that the boss thought that the people who'd failed at this job for 8 months would suddenly do it correctly just because he told them to. I guess he was hoping they were just lazy and not actually incompetent.

I'm also just kind of fundamentally baffled on a basic level by people who can't do basic poo poo like "put the thing where it goes". You'd think working retail would have drummed that out of me, between customers and coworkers, but apparently not.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Every so often I have conversations with one of my bosses along these lines:

Boss: "I can't believe ( new person ) did this."

Me: "Did you train them otherwise?"

Boss: "No, I haven't had time."

And that's the way it goes for a lot of new people, and a lot of bosses. The computer based training things are more about avoiding liability than actually teaching anyone anything useful. When so little is put into training and keeping people, well... you get way you pay for.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Had a plumber in this morning because one of the ceiling units in the cooler had a plugged drainage pipe, so it just dripped all over the floor.
Which was a problem because the floor drain is plugged.

The floor drain is still plugged.

The cooler's drainage pipe empties into another grate on the same floor drain system. You can look at the grate and see the standing water.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Guess the new SM called and bitched at the ASM for not getting the truck done. It was only two rolltainers away from being done, and we got it done tonight.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Anora posted:

Fun story: I almost lost my mind over hearing "the middle" and like 4 other songs every 30 minutes on the radio station the morning lady like, so I flipped it to my favorote station, and at 7 they decided to play this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

no one noticed. Same when about 4 months ago they played NIN's I wanna gently caress you like an Animal.

You haven't lived until you have tried to sell an old lady headlights while the intro to more human than human goes off on a radio 5ft from your head, perfectly audible. The local radio sation's timing on playing that song is impecable.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Elmnt80 posted:

You haven't lived until you have tried to sell an old lady headlights while the intro to more human than human goes off on a radio 5ft from your head, perfectly audible. The local radio sation's timing on playing that song is impecable.

Old lady: “Are these headlights fog resistant?”
Rob Zombie: *GHNG GNHG*... “Yyyyeeeeaaahh”

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Okay, sure.

It probably took them longer to half-rear end this than it took me to fix it.

Someone also went into the aisle where I'd just made sure everything was ticketed and pulled tickets without replacing them because ???

And while trying to chase down some missing envelopes I saw a box with their SKU written on it but violently crossed out and thought "surely not" but lo and behold that was of course the very box they were in.

I love putting things in order wayyyy more than is healthy, and so even with all these completely ridiculous setbacks I am still having so much fun being back in this department.

Now I just need to talk to my boss and make sure he wasn't trying to sneakily give me a pay cut by using the change of department to cut me from 32/wk to 30/wk and everything will be amazing :toot:

Also I found out today that the worst of the slackers screwing up this department just had her application to train as a manager denied, and I am really spitefully happy about it because she is really just terrible. I really hope she quits over it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I wish we had anything that interesting on store radio. It's all the blandest of bland, probably hand picked to be the least invasive while drawing the most attention to the many, many ads for the company as possible.

They also occasionally play Agadoo, which is the one thing that deserves corporal punishment.

There were two weeks where it was disco themed (to coincide with a dumb disco themed ad naturally) and it was goddamn amazing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We have no store intercom thingy, just an old worksite radio the sm's husband didn't need anymore. 85% of the time, it stays on oldies channel since most of our customers, but sometimes we just need a break. After 3 years, I can sing the entirety of toto's africa by memory if given the beat.:v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

HazCat posted:

Okay, sure.

It probably took them longer to half-rear end this than it took me to fix it.

Someone also went into the aisle where I'd just made sure everything was ticketed and pulled tickets without replacing them because ???

And while trying to chase down some missing envelopes I saw a box with their SKU written on it but violently crossed out and thought "surely not" but lo and behold that was of course the very box they were in.

I love putting things in order wayyyy more than is healthy, and so even with all these completely ridiculous setbacks I am still having so much fun being back in this department.

Now I just need to talk to my boss and make sure he wasn't trying to sneakily give me a pay cut by using the change of department to cut me from 32/wk to 30/wk and everything will be amazing :toot:

Also I found out today that the worst of the slackers screwing up this department just had her application to train as a manager denied, and I am really spitefully happy about it because she is really just terrible. I really hope she quits over it.

My friend, you are dealing with people who know you’re there to ruin the good thing they had going, and are going to wage a guerrilla war against you in those aisles until either you or they are gone.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

My friend, you are dealing with people who know you’re there to ruin the good thing they had going, and are going to wage a guerrilla war against you in those aisles until either you or they are gone.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence. This is just the lazy poo poo they're used to getting away with.

And on the off chance you're right, I am excited to enthusiastically and cheerfully burn them to the loving ground :black101:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Today my boss asked me to work four bays in particular for reasons, and part of the request was "I don't know if you've worked them already, but just make them neater", and I just said "you'll know when I've worked a bay" and he came back four hours later and I'd dropped 8 crammed-full interims and turned 6 completely overfull excess boxes into 4 almost-empty ones (one per bay) and I got to :smugbert: at him.

Also two other managers came over and kept exclaiming how they couldn't believe I'd dropped so much, they'd both worked that section already and didn't think anything else could possibly drop, let alone all of it.

I promise this is my last smugpost, I'm just really enjoying finally being able to show my boss that he was actually an idiot for not moving me back to this department 5 months ago when I requested it.

Oh also I found this in another aisle while gap-filling:

Nightfill team bringing their A-game as always.

Not sure how visible it is, but they've been ripping out price tickets instead of finding and working the stock (which was in the wrong overhead). Because obviously, if you can't scan the ticket, you can't see that we have stock on hand, and so they can't be blamed for not finding it and filling the gaps, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

HazCat posted:

Not sure how visible it is, but they've been ripping out price tickets instead of finding and working the stock (which was in the wrong overhead). Because obviously, if you can't scan the ticket, you can't see that we have stock on hand, and so they can't be blamed for not finding it and filling the gaps, right?

The takeaway from all of your posts (which I for one am thoroughly enjoying) when it comes to these guys is that it is actually really hard to get fired from a retail job.

Supervisors and managers can harass you over and over to do more work, threaten you, write you up... but if you keep showing up for work you can be just lazy as hell, even to the point that it begins to look like sabotage, and they won't fire you.

There are exceptions (and thank heavens for that) but most retail outlets I've been around almost literally never fire anyone for poor performance. Only for not showing up for work, and even then they sometimes give a ridiculous amount of leeway.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 15, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I am amused and dismayed that I have more hours than a fair portion of the full-time employees at my store. Every so often they realize "oh we're giving him too many hours for part-time" and they crank me down, and then my department goes to poo poo because I don't have enough time. :allears:

Last week, I was given zero hours to work my backstock. This week, I'm scheduled... two hours to work my backstock.

Instead of the backstock going to the shelf, the inventory will be zero'd out and new cases ordered.

My last truck had 270 cases, at least forty of which were things we didn't need.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
3 missed calls from the store and one from my manager, plus a text that read "Can you work 7am to 3:30pm tomorrow??" I mean, I could. But at the cost of waking up before 7am for the first time in a year? You must be very desperate to ask me this on such short notice

Anyway thats a no from me dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

HazCat posted:

Talked to my boss today. He and my manager got in the overheads today and pulled down $500 (cost price, retail was probably north of a grand) of binders that had been left, untouched, in the overheads for 8 months and had gone through clearance to unsellable and had to be binned.

He still wants to let the current team responsible for this keep working this role :ughh:

Gonna be making myself a custom logbook so I can track all the poo poo I find/fix and hopefully record them continuing to gently caress up so he can learn that this isn't an issue of them 'not knowing any better', it's wilful laziness.

...couldn't those two be written up for theft/damage of store property for that kind of loss?

Like, jesus gently caress. Our current inventory practice is to write quantity and SKU on boxes when they're partial, so you can tell at a glance what's been packed out. It's not that hard to take a sharpie and write (5 @ 574-205) on a partial box before you put it up.

Edit: posted this before I read the rest of the saga... quite enjoying your aggressive takedown of the utter mess they made. Well done!

Also, on firing people - I was on my second final warning for attendance (because I'm chronically late to everything always) and showed up late for work AGAIN a few weeks ago and no one said a word. Even though corporate SOP stated I should have been escorted out the door. :iiam: I guess if I just keep showing up I'll be allowed to work there forever, because they need warm bodies more than they need to follow corporate attendance policies.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 16, 2018