Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

susan posted:

There's actually a shitton of ways to get a Warrant. The High Lords are certainly one major party that can grant Warrants of basically any type, but Planetary Governors, high ranking Mechanicus officiants, elevated Ecclesiastical figures, Warmasters, Astartes Chapter Masters, etc have all granted Warrants of Trade. Now, not all Warrants are created equal, and many signed by these less prestigious parties have some strict limitations on them or some short timelines/non-continuing clauses baked in. But for a lot of purposes, a Warrant is a Warrant.

Those are letters of Marque. People with them are still called Rogue Traders, but like you said come with restrictions such as being limited to one sector or not being hereditary. Warrant of Trade has very few if any restrictions and comes from the Emperor, Primarchs, or more recently the High Lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Man imagine having a warrant of trade from Horus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Telsa Cola posted:

Pro-tier RT campaign right there,

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

I'm guessing a Rogue Trader with one of those has his warrant extra good hidden away and doesn't speak about it much. :v:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Libluini posted:

I'm guessing a Rogue Trader with one of those has his warrant extra good hidden away and doesn't speak about it much. :v:

"The family Warrant? Oh yes it is very old. You'd be honoured to see it? I'd love to show you it, but unfortunately it's in a stasis field we've forgotten how to turn off, in a Adamantine box that we've lost the key to, in a vault whose location we've forgotten , on a death world, that's been cut off by a warp storm for the last 1000 years. :shrug:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering how slowly the bureaucracy moves in the Imperium, I have to wonder how many Rogue Traders have actual letters of Marque/Warrents of Trade and how many just lie/hack the system/forge the document.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Randalor posted:

Considering how slowly the bureaucracy moves in the Imperium, I have to wonder how many Rogue Traders have actual letters of Marque/Warrents of Trade and how many just lie/hack the system/forge the document.

Yeah the hard part is getting a ship, not getting the document.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Telsa Cola posted:

A Warrant of Trade from Konrad Kurze. People pay you not to do half of what it lets you.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Randalor posted:

Wasn't this one of the subplots to the Priests of Mars trilogy? The guy had been fudging his Warrant of Trade, and the Ad Mech was totally aware, but turned a blind eye because the ship/crew was so drat useful.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It was, yeah.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, it wasn't even fudged but straight up forged. The archmagos basically went "I trust the guy who's talented enough to forge it that well over some dipshit who inherited theirs" and authenticated it in the systems.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
The Ad Mech one was actually a Letter of Marque, like D-Pad said above. That was one I had been thinking of earlier; I had thought it was a straight up Warrant as well, but since the Rogue Trader had been formerly Navy it makes sense he wouldn't inherit anything to get his job.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, this discussion makes me wish for a space sim where you start as a Rogue Trader who just inherited his parent's dumb lovely light cruiser and an old Warrant of Trade and now you have to go out and make your luck.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini posted:

Man, this discussion makes me wish for a space sim where you start as a Rogue Trader who just inherited his parent's dumb lovely light cruiser and an old Warrant of Trade and now you have to go out and make your luck.

Please don't encourage the "rags to riches" Rogue Trader myth. They started off quite wealthy, obviously because they had at least one ship, and then were given special dispensation by the government to ignore regulations and trade in goods and have access to markets banned for other traders. Now hundreds of generations since the first Warrants were issued, the vast majority of Rogue Traders are born with unimaginable inherited wealth. It's the worst kind of crony capitalism.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Libluini posted:

Hoo boy do I have good news for you: https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Interesting, but it's not set in the 40k universe so utterly the opposite of what I want

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

I too want this.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Please don't encourage the "rags to riches" Rogue Trader myth. They started off quite wealthy, obviously because they had at least one ship, and then were given special dispensation by the government to ignore regulations and trade in goods and have access to markets banned for other traders. Now hundreds of generations since the first Warrants were issued, the vast majority of Rogue Traders are born with unimaginable inherited wealth. It's the worst kind of crony capitalism.
Just say that your predecessor did a bit too much shady stuff and the inquisition seized all your family's stuff.
That's pretty much the subplot for the ship captain in Inquisitor Martyr. Inquisition took everything, now she's the personal taxi service for an inquisitor so she can clear her name and and start being a Rogue Trader again.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Groetgaffel posted:

I too want this.

It exists, it's called Star Traders: Frontier.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been eyeing that game for a bit. Is it deep enough to scratch that itch?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

frogge posted:

I've been eyeing that game for a bit. Is it deep enough to scratch that itch?

Absolutely. It's 40K with the number filed off and a fantastic game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

Absolutely. It's 40K with the number filed off and a fantastic game.
Does it have enough skulls and gothic spires though? This is important. :colbert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I just want a mass effect style ARPG where you play as an inquisitor. like you could go puritan or radical. martyr is alright but its a diablo clone.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I just want a mass effect style ARPG where you play as an inquisitor. like you could go puritan or radical. martyr is alright but its a diablo clone.

I want this too.

Just make a good, or hell even just an alright, 40k version of every game.

Not gonna lie, I'm getting pretty excited for Mechanicus: X-COM 40K.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Martyr felt wayyy too content-light for my tastes. that and the movement system was hella clunky. Speaking of games, is there ANY news on the BFG sequel? It's out next month.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Martyr felt wayyy too content-light for my tastes. that and the movement system was hella clunky. Speaking of games, is there ANY news on the BFG sequel? It's out next month.

There was a closed beta with an NDA so we don't have videos or anything but the goon consensus was that it was very good.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Immanentized posted:

There was a close beta that ended.. last week I want to say.

Tyranids weren't in it, everyone else was.
Played great, ui was a bit rear end and needs to be polished up a bit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Immanentized posted:

i am probably picking it up for consoles this month(if it comes out). it will be better the deathwing, thats for sure. also BFG?

Groetgaffel posted:

I want this too.

Just make a good, or hell even just an alright, 40k version of every game.

Not gonna lie, I'm getting pretty excited for Mechanicus: X-COM 40K.

it looks ok, but i am sick of turnbased warhammer stuff. give me vermintide or mass effect in 40k or some poo poo. hell give me a COD clone where you play as a stormtrooper or just a regular guardsman.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
The multiplayer is pretty dead at this point, but it's worth the price just for the campaign, which is set in the 12th Black Crusade, also known as the Gothic War.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it looks ok, but i am sick of turnbased warhammer stuff. give me vermintide or mass effect in 40k or some poo poo. hell give me a COD clone where you play as a stormtrooper or just a regular guardsman.
Can't really see X-COM as anything but turnbased, and I do love X-COM, so I'm very happy with a 40k version.
But I'll of course take any good 40k game regardless of genre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do Battlefield 2 Modern Combat's hotswap feature to jump between various guardsmen as they die horribly.

Or, have the cutscenes for a Guardsman FPS focus entirely on the command staff and their dealings while actual gameplay is devoted to nameless grunts who die by the thousands in the hands of the player.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Have Respawn make a game out of Necropolis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
The multiplayer is pretty dead at this point, but it's worth the price just for the campaign, which is set in the 12th Black Crusade, also known as the Gothic War.

Can't really see X-COM as anything but turnbased, and I do love X-COM, so I'm very happy with a 40k version.
But I'll of course take any good 40k game regardless of genre.

i like xcom and such. i am just sick of 40k turnbased stuff in general. that's just me.

I suck rear end at gothic.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 14, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do Battlefield 2 Modern Combat's hotswap feature to jump between various guardsmen as they die horribly.

Or, have the cutscenes for a Guardsman FPS focus entirely on the command staff and their dealings while actual gameplay is devoted to nameless grunts who die by the thousands in the hands of the player.

id love to see something like the intro campaign to BF1. where its just switching from guardsmen to guardsmen as they die.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I always wanted them to make a FPS where the different difficulty levels were different characters. Easy would be a Space Marine, Medium as a Stormtrooper, Hard as a Guardsman. Do it like Goldeneye, where the different difficulty levels had different missions, so you'd go to different parts of the level. Maybe even have it like Medal of Honor:Airborne where you could pick where you start on the level, Space Marine jumping in, or grav chutes or a slow unwieldy lander. Has to have a epilogue level where you're a Dreadnaught!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

I always wanted them to make a FPS where the different difficulty levels were different characters. Easy would be a Space Marine, Medium as a Stormtrooper, Hard as a Guardsman. Do it like Goldeneye, where the different difficulty levels had different missions, so you'd go to different parts of the level. Maybe even have it like Medal of Honor:Airborne where you could pick where you start on the level, Space Marine jumping in, or grav chutes or a slow unwieldy lander. Has to have a epilogue level where you're a Dreadnaught!

The on rails section has you operating the gun, and nothing else on a tech priest's gun servitor.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Finished the Eisenhorn trilogy, is it just me or is it weird that Eisenhorn is originally all uptight about daemons and the warp but at no point has any issue wielding a sword that literally thirsts for blood?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

We've literally been discussing this sort of thing in the previous couple of pages.

TL:DR. Remember when Glaw told Ravenor (paraphrased) "Say. Have you noticed how every Puritan slowly turns into a Radical?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Finished the Eisenhorn trilogy, is it just me or is it weird that Eisenhorn is originally all uptight about daemons and the warp but at no point has any issue wielding a sword that literally thirsts for blood?

Eh, it's not possessed by daemons or corrupted by the warp, so it's no biggie (well, except the whole "It's now a stolen cultural artifact that he never planned on returning to them after its owner died" bit). It's a force weapon, so basically 40k's version of a magical weapon with special powers. Besides, I think he kept the sword after he started his slide towards radicalism.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m just bothered by the power level creep from “a guy who’s good with a sword” to “a literal goddamn Jedi” mostly done off-screen or via parentheticals (“I practiced with a the sword, like, a lot”). It feels cinematic in a bad way, like spec-script cinematic.

Which is unfortunate because Eisenhorn is definitely the BL book that would be best for adaptation, IMO.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I’m just bothered by the power level creep from “a guy who’s good with a sword” to “a literal goddamn Jedi” mostly done off-screen or via parentheticals (“I practiced with a the sword, like, a lot”). It feels cinematic in a bad way, like spec-script cinematic.

Which is unfortunate because Eisenhorn is definitely the BL book that would be best for adaptation, IMO.

The power level creep is because he's been tearing up post-its to put in his copy of the space necronomicon over the course of 100+ years. It's his latent psyker talents coming to the fore and suffusing his entire being, not necessarily anything to do with the sword practice. Eisenhorn's will is a constant item of commentary, will in 40k is used in the fascist manner- it's a born trait that allows people to escalate and elevate themselves above the scrum. I think this was intentional by Abnett too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm surprised everyone has forgotten about Full Spectrum Warrior and how great it could be for either a Scion or Guard game. Or Marine even.