Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I switched over to a 555 set up as a monostable multivibrator and at the recommendation of a coworker tried a PIN photodiode as a sensor for test purposes and everything works!

Like holy poo poo the PIN photodiode is sensitive as balls, I can pop a camera flash in the next room over and it will pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedChesterfield
Nov 18, 2010

"You know you've done enough shit to go to hell."
I'm super loving green when it comes to wires and burns, but here goes. I want to use some spare pc case fans I've got kicking around for a non-pc project.

These are some lovely 12v 160mA fans I've got on hand. So, am I hosed in my understanding, or can I just find a 12v 1A power supply from my local pawn shop bin and splice/solder/knot a pair of these fans to that? In parallel to the salvaged plug so they get equal voltage? Am I going to burn down my house?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah if you wire them all in parallel, then as long as you supply the correct voltage, and your power supply is capable of outputting at least the sum of the load currents, it will work.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RedChesterfield posted:

I'm super loving green when it comes to wires and burns, but here goes. I want to use some spare pc case fans I've got kicking around for a non-pc project.

These are some lovely 12v 160mA fans I've got on hand. So, am I hosed in my understanding, or can I just find a 12v 1A power supply from my local pawn shop bin and splice/solder/knot a pair of these fans to that? In parallel to the salvaged plug so they get equal voltage? Am I going to burn down my house?

peepsalot posted:

Yeah if you wire them all in parallel, then as long as you supply the correct voltage, and your power supply is capable of outputting at least the sum of the load currents, it will work.

A pair (320mA total) is probably fine for a 1A wall wart.

If you were talking 5 or 6 I might say something like: No idea about those little fans but not turning them all on at once may be a good idea because of in rush currents. Without datasheets about the fans and the power supply can't say if it'd actually matter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If you haven't already, get a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it, you can get a relatively good one on Amazon for like $20 to $30 these days. That way you make sure you hook the fans up in the right polarity, and you can measure how much current is being drawn so you know you're not overworking anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are most/all soldering irons sold in the US 110V only? I wanted to buy a Hakko FX888 while I'm on vacation since it's twice as much here but it seems like that wouldn't work :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Are most/all soldering irons sold in the US 110V only? I wanted to buy a Hakko FX888 while I'm on vacation since it's twice as much here but it seems like that wouldn't work :(

I'm pretty sure a lot of irons just feed the wall current straight through into the heating element so the voltage level is kinda important since it's a simple resistive load.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
You'd be forgiven for thinking so (and some do) but in the case of the 888, it runs at about 24v.

They simply use a regular transformer with a fixed primary winding, rather than one that has 2 windings that can be put in series or parrallel.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Aurium posted:

You'd be forgiven for thinking so (and some do) but in the case of the 888, it runs at about 24v.

They simply use a regular transformer with a fixed primary winding, rather than one that has 2 windings that can be put in series or parrallel.

Yeah I guess I was thinking of stuff like Weller, where it uses an actual two-prong wall socket to connect the iron

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

Yup. It's a constant complaint. I honestly think that's why irons like the ts100 are so popular.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I think I may be partially colorblind or something. I can't for the life of me tell what color these bands are.

Can anyone confirm that these are 22k?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would say so - the leftmost band almost looks brown by itself but not in comparison to the brown tolerance band so I'm parsing it as red red brown red brown. When my eyes are giving me trouble I whip out my multimeter to double-check.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oldstench posted:

I think I may be partially colorblind or something. I can't for the life of me tell what color these bands are.

I bought a ton of those blue resistors so I've been using them and pretty much nothing else (except SMD) for the last like, 6 years, and I've gotten super good at reading them. Yep that's red red black red brown clear as day to me :v:

BattleMaster posted:

I'm parsing it as red red brown red brown.

You got the easiest one wrong :colbert:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ate all the Oreos posted:

You got the easiest one wrong :colbert:

Oops, I meant black but I typed brown. If it was brown it wouldn't be 22k.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks to you both. Unfortunately my DMM is at a friends house so I had to read bands - which my eyes just can't do. I appreciate it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Is there a good reason for coded colour bands instead of numbers?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Historical reasons I bet.

And with bands you don't have to care about mounting your resistor with the number facing up.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Splode posted:

Is there a good reason for coded colour bands instead of numbers?

Wikipedia says because it used to be hard to print small numbers.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
That's fair, though the colour choices of orange red and brown are salt in the wound.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spazzle posted:

Wikipedia says because it used to be hard to print small numbers.

Yep. Is a lot easier to spin the resistor against a rack of tiny paint brushes as it goes through the chute than to print teeny numbers that would be just as hard to read anyway.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Splode posted:

That's fair, though the colour choices of orange red and brown are salt in the wound.

Something about the colour contrast against those blue metal film resistors makes it harder also. It was always easier to see the bands on the light beige carbon resistors, but they're much less common nowadays.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I prefer the tan ones over the blue and aqua ones for readability.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any advice on what's the best/low frustration option for a reflow oven under $1K or so? I want to start designing boards using SMT and the thought of extensive hand soldering is giving me pause. Not sure if good options exist but meh

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You can easily do most rework with a decent hot air station, and less easily do it all with a fine tipped iron.

People have also hacked toaster ovens to decent results, but given the choice of one, I'd go with the hot air station. Having both is nice though

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

shovelbum posted:

Any advice on what's the best/low frustration option for a reflow oven under $1K or so? I want to start designing boards using SMT and the thought of extensive hand soldering is giving me pause. Not sure if good options exist but meh

I just toss my boards on a laboratory style hot plate. It's definitely not a set-and-forget solution, but I've reflowed a few hundred boards this way without any major issues.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

What do you folks recommend for cleaning no-wash solder flux off of boards? I know it's not going to corrode the board/joints, but it looks like poo poo.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
99% ISO alcohol and an old toothbrush

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shovelbum posted:

I use a cheap hot air station, solder paste in a syringe with small metal needle, and one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BK772Y4/

Works fantastic.

e: Actually it appears I have the "853A++" version which strangely isn't sold anymore, idk what's up with that, but I think it's just the same heating element with a different interface :shrug:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 3, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ante posted:

Make sure you actually get 99% alcohol, generally sold specifically for cleaning. The medical-grade stuff contains a significant amount of water and tends to leave a residue

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ante posted:

The darasheet for the solder specifically states IPA won't clean it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Oldstench posted:

I am lazy and would say to use a multimeter. That's what I do since I can't read codes for poo poo, lol.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Oldstench posted:

I’ve used acetone to good effect.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Oldstench posted:

Datasheet, shmatasheet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You guys have given me a lot of tools to purchase, which is a good feeling. What's a laboratory style hot plate anyway?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Its like a kitchen hotplate, but more scientific. And sometimes it has a built in magnetic stirrer.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah like in chemistry class

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I believe there is a tap on the transformer inside that you could switch over to use 230, but don't quote me on this. Something to consider if you are looking for a budget conscious but higher performance soldering station are the generic chinese stations that use the newer T12 internal heating element style tips. I picked up a 75w one branded "KSGER" and a few tips for about $100 and the difference in performance compared to my old pace st-45 is pretty mindblowing, they usually have either internal universal voltage supplies fed from an IEC connector or cheaper variants with a DC barrel jack where you just supply your own old laptop power brick or something.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Ultrasonic cleaners work pretty well for cleaning PCBs too, I run mine with 99% iso for PCBs.

The issue with using iso+manual cleaning is it's less consistent, and often not enough solvent is used so the edges of the cleaned area contain a lot of dissolved flux. The result is a sticky board.

For no-clean fluxes the recommendation is to not clean them since it can be worse for reliability than poorly cleaning it. No-clean flux is designed to contain the flux inside little sealed bubbles and cleaning it breaks that seal.
An ultrasonic cleaner will remove that flux too, but it's mostly mechanical action rather than dissolving it (it takes much longer to clean it as a result).

My process is usually 10 minutes per side in iso and a rinse in clean iso right after pulling it out.

Obviously ultrasonics aren't suitable for all kinds of PCBs, crystals and MEMS stuff can potentially be damaged (never had an issue myself though).

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
I've got a project I'm working on but I wanted to verify if my thinking is correct before I get too far down the rabbit hole.

I'm putting together a high altitude balloon I want to launch in a month or two and I'm currently building my payload. I just finished building a trackuino and posted that to the amateur radio thread but this has to do with power.

I'm putting everything in a small insulated foam container so I figured I could use a LiPo battery since it would be well insulated.

It's a 5200mAH 4 cell lipo and I want to power:

- arduino + trackuino shield + sparkfun venus gps + radiometrix hx1 10mw transmitter
- 1.3ghz video transmitter + quadcopter camera (like you'd use on an R/C plane)
- Canon SD1000 running CHDK directly wired into buck converter bypassing internal camera battery (shooting still photos)
- Canon SD1000 running CHDK directly wired into buck converter bypassing internal camera battery (shooting video)

I figured I could split a few pairs of red/black wires directly from the battery and use a DC to DC Buck converter *per device* adjusted to the input power required by each device.
These are what I'm wanting to use >> https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-LM2596-Converter-3-0-40V-1-5-35V/dp/B01GJ0SC2C

So in this example I would use 4 of these buck converters running straight off the battery. I thought this would be cleaner than having 4 separate battery packs to charge and mess with (and potentially fail)

Will this be safe or will I end up with a high altitude fireball? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What are the power requirements of each component?