Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

team overhead smash posted:

After rereading Sanderson, does anyone else get the vibe that he is weirdly cool with arranged marriages? Like the first time I came across it in Elantris? Warbreaker? it was kind of like - "oh-ho, he's turned expectations round on their head". But it seems weirdly consistent even from characters like Laral when she berates Kaladin for thinking she needs saving from her marriage.

Vivienna would have been an awful bride for Susebron, so only by weaseling out of the originally arranged marriage did they get a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Torrannor posted:

Vivienna would have been an awful bride for Susebron, so only by weaseling out of the originally arranged marriage did they get a happy ending.

The happy ending brought about by the arranged marriage. If they hadn't been thrown into an arranged marriage against they wills, they never would have found their **true love** with each other.

You've got Siri and Susebron, Sarene and Raoden, Wax and Steris, Shallan and Adolin and a fair few more minor background character (Laral and Rashon). Dalinar is maybe a semi-exception as his first marriage was a train wreck, but even then it appears that there was true love between that eventually saved him, made him a good persona and presumably stopped the annihilation of the universe from a freed Odium.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I started Warbreaker last week and I'm almost finished, but now I'm wondering: has Sanderson ever addressed the fact that Awakening seems to operate outside of normal conservation-of-energy rules with regard to Investiture? Like it seems that unless he introduces new rules, the fact that awakened objects can be sustained entirely by Breath means you could use them as an infinite energy source. You command Lifeless to walk forward in giant hamster wheels, or just awaken a turbine and command it to "spin", forever. Unless the Breath is someone diminished (which, idk, maybe it could be! it seems that not all Breaths are equal, after all), it seems like this is truly a "set it and forget it" scenario.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 20, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Perfect gemstones will glow forever as well, basically if you do things right you can tap the spiritual realm for free energy

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Slanderer posted:

I started Warbreaker last week and I'm almost finished, but now I'm wondering: has Sanderson ever addressed the fact that Awakening seems to operate outside of normal conservation-of-energy rules with regard to Investiture? Like it seems that unless he introduces new rules, the fact that awakened objects can be sustained entirely by Breath means you could use them as an infinite energy source. You command Lifeless to walk forward in giant hamster wheels, or just awaken a turbine and command it to "spin", forever. Unless the Breath is someone diminished (which, idk, maybe it could be! it seems that not all Breaths are equal, after all), it seems like this is truly a "set it and forget it" scenario.

Awakened objects are still subject to some physical constraints--you need ichor-alcohol to keep Awakened creatures going or they eventually fall apart. Awakened objects are more iffy though, yeah.
Still, you can probably exploit the system pretty easily. Nalthis is in for one hell of an industrial revolution when they figure that out.

When you think about it, any "magic" system, even ones more grounded in physical laws, needs to pull energy from somewhere to make it work. Usually the answer is an immediate or delayed pull from the Spiritual Realm (feruchemy being a noted exception)--stormlight, Breath, etc. A Lashing on something to make it fall upwards is a hell of a lot of imparted energy when you work it out on paper--that's all stormlight, which is pulled from the SR.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

eke out posted:

windrunners being able to manipulate pressure is definitely to make space travel easier in the future

We already know FTL travel is planned for the 4th Mistborn series.

team overhead smash posted:

The happy ending brought about by the arranged marriage. If they hadn't been thrown into an arranged marriage against they wills, they never would have found their **true love** with each other.

You've got Siri and Susebron, Sarene and Raoden, Wax and Steris, Shallan and Adolin and a fair few more minor background character (Laral and Rashon). Dalinar is maybe a semi-exception as his first marriage was a train wreck, but even then it appears that there was true love between that eventually saved him, made him a good persona and presumably stopped the annihilation of the universe from a freed Odium.

Nobility/Royalty and political marriages are a pretty standard thing in Fantasy. This is like asking if GRRM is ok with arranged marriages because they're everywhere in ASOIAF too.

Slanderer posted:

Pretty sure Sanderson has either said outright that Breath is diminished over time, or hinted at it. He's at least stated that there's no net loss of Breath in that world (excluding any worldhopper shenanigans) even with Nightblood's insatiable appetite, or the Returned slowly burning Breath to keep going.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That was in one of the work in progress drafts, but I don't think ever made it to canon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Friction will eventually destroy your awakened hamster wheel.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Slanderer posted:

They basically do this with chalk drawings in The Rithmatist to power trains, so chances are he’s considered the idea for his other books.

I really wish that book would get a sequel.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

TheMadMilkman posted:

They basically do this with chalk drawings in The Rithmatist to power trains, so chances are he’s considered the idea for his other books.

I really wish that book would get a sequel.

It ended on a couple of annoying cliffhangers as well. Apparently, in 2014 he was researching for the sequel called The Aztlanian and it involved a lot of S.American mythology? He shelved it because he wanted to do a lot more research on it and didn't want to get details wrong. Unsure if there are any updated States of the Sanderson with more info though?

Edit: I think this is the latest update I could find, from the 2017 State of the Sanderson:

quote:

The Rithmatist

This continues to be the single most-requested sequel among people who email me or contact me on social media. It is something I want to do, and still intend to, but it has a couple of weird aspects to it—completely unrelated to its popularity—that continue to work as roadblocks.

The first problem is that it’s an odd relic in my writing career. I wrote it as a diversion from a book that wasn’t working (Liar of Partinel, my second attempt at doing a novel on Yolen, after the unpublished novel Dragonsteel). It went really well—but it also was something I had to set aside when the Wheel of Time came along.

I eventually published it years later, but my life and my writing has moved in a very different direction from the point when I wrote this. These days, I try very hard to make stories like this work as novellas or standalone stories, rather than promising sequels. I feel I did promise a sequel for this one, and I have grand plans for it, but the time just never seems to be right.

The other issue is that writing about that era in America—even in an alternate universe—involves touching on some very sensitive topics. Ones that, despite my best efforts, I feel that I didn’t handle as sensitively as I could have. I do want to come back to the world and do a good job of it, but doing an Aztec viewpoint character—as I’d like to do as one of the viewpoints in book two—in an alternate Earth…well, it’s a challenge that takes a lot of investment in research time.

And for one reason or another, I keep ending up in crisis mode—first with Stormlight 3 taking longer than I wanted, and now with The Apocalypse Guard not turning out like I wanted. So someday I will get to this, but it’s going to require some alignment of several factors.

:smith:

Dravs fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 21, 2018

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
All the updates about the Rithmatist sequel just say that same thing, that he needs to do research and doesn't have the time to do so. I think he may have posted somewhere about a research assistant so if you know anyone with a post grad degree in meso-american studies send them to him.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

eke out posted:

also the very unscientific impression i got from reading WoBs was that the Stormfather/Nightwatcher/Sibling don't want to bond more than one at a time, as opposed to the Bondsmiths refusing to allow, say, a second Stormfather member despite the option being available.

I think you're right to wonder what other splinters might be able to do this. To me, it feels like Unmade are so associated with being the evil versions of specific orders that bonding with one doesn't seem like it should grant the common Bondsmith surges - maybe bonding an Unmade makes you particularly powerful at what that one does, like how Reshepir seemed to want to bond with Shallan, and already basically does evil lightweaving stuff.

The only thing we know about Bondsmith spren is that they are "specific", which I interpret as "unique". So I don't know if that means Cusicesh would also be fair game? Not that we know what it does anyway.

Slanderer posted:

I never really thought about this, but was Shallan's lightweaving augmented by the presence of the perpendicularity? I think both Shallan and Jasnah remark that maybe her illusions were mixed with soulcasting (to add mass? to make the illusions bleed real blood?), but also she created 100x more at once than ever before

Shallan actually remarks on this when she starts Lightweaving, because Yalb and a bunch of other people from the collections she lost appeared. Pattern tells her it's because Dalinar's Perpendicularity has made them closer to the Spiritual Realm, so everyone she's ever Connected with is available.

Infinite Karma posted:

I still say that Dalinar is going to reunite the splinters of Honor and become the new Honor. So he'll become the Stormfather instead of summoning him.

What, not on Team Adonalsium? I wouldn't really want this though, because spren are splinters and spren are cool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Evil Fluffy posted:

We already know FTL travel is planned for the 4th Mistborn series.

Nobility/Royalty and political marriages are a pretty standard thing in Fantasy. This is like asking if GRRM is ok with arranged marriages because they're everywhere in ASOIAF too.

Pretty sure Sanderson has either said outright that Breath is diminished over time, or hinted at it. He's at least stated that there's no net loss of Breath in that world (excluding any worldhopper shenanigans) even with Nightblood's insatiable appetite, or the Returned slowly burning Breath to keep going.

I mean fantasy has always fetishized Feudalism to a weird degree so that isn’t a great counter you can argue they are just parroting what came before but I don’t know if I buy it.

Though more on topic I just finished rereading The first mistborn book and despite reading most of his other stories coming back it’s still my favorite.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Leng posted:

What, not on Team Adonalsium? I wouldn't really want this though, because spren are splinters and spren are cool.
I don't think they're purely splinters, there were Radiants (so also spren) before Honor bit the dust.

If Dalinar unites and conquers the Cosmere, that'd would be neat, I'm just not sure he's the Mary Sue out of all the Mary Sues who's going to do it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I saw a response from a Q&A of "well maybe things lose one breath after a while (?)", but idk what he'll really decide on. But if he said that about loss of Breath, than I wonder if that means that Nightblood doesn't consume breath, just absorbs it (which would help explain why it's by far the most invested object we've seen, despite being made with only 1000 breaths). And if that's true, I wonder what it implies about what happens to the Breath consumed by Returned. Does Endowment take back a Breath from each Returned every week, in the same way that Nightblood takes breath?

Now that I'm thinking of parallels, though--Nightblood only needs breath when wielded outside of its (aluminum?) sheath (rules on this seem to change slightly between Warbreaker and Oathbringer: Vasher is able to throw Nightblood away (and prevent it from taking his breath), but Szeth couldnt let go of it until it was sheathed). Differences aside, it seems that aluminum prevents Nightblood from taking Breath from its wielder. I wonder if a Returned, lying in an aluminum coffin, might no longer lose a Breath every week (if indeed Endowment is taking the Breaths back)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think its more than Nightblood continues to try to suck in breaths. When in its scabbard it can't. A returned who can't suck in a breath will die, hence an aluminum coffin would be a death sentence even if there were a ton of people outside of it trying to donate their breath.

Also I think WoB is that the breaths consumed by nightblood return in their raw form to the spiritual realm. But that might be one of those things where he only considered it without making it cannon.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

I think its more than Nightblood continues to try to suck in breaths. When in its scabbard it can't. A returned who can't suck in a breath will die, hence an aluminum coffin would be a death sentence even if there were a ton of people outside of it trying to donate their breath.

Also I think WoB is that the breaths consumed by nightblood return in their raw form to the spiritual realm. But that might be one of those things where he only considered it without making it cannon.

yeah i think it's become a much bigger question now that it's being used against otherwise-immortal creatures - and he has confirmed that (i have no idea what to spoiler in this thread, frankly) it's going to cause permadeath to the Fused. And it's a safe assumption that it'll cause permadeath to the Unmade as well, though I'm not sure if they're strictly speaking immortal in the same way the Fused are? anyways it may not be a black hole for Investiture but it definitely fucks it up real real good

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Permadeath and being converted to raw investiture in the spiritual realm are essentially the same thing. Permadeath for the unmade would send their consciousness to the beyond like everything else.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

eke out posted:

yeah i think it's become a much bigger question now that it's being used against otherwise-immortal creatures - and he has confirmed that (i have no idea what to spoiler in this thread, frankly) it's going to cause permadeath to the Fused. And it's a safe assumption that it'll cause permadeath to the Unmade as well, though I'm not sure if they're strictly speaking immortal in the same way the Fused are? anyways it may not be a black hole for Investiture but it definitely fucks it up real real good

I get a very "Chaz-from-Sluggy-Freelance" vibe from Nightblood.

And I'm really ok with that!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Brandon did a rough outline of his writing schedule in April:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332-jordancon-2018/#e9595

Brandon Sanderson posted:

So, here's the grand Cosmere timeline as I have it right now. I'm going to write Wax & Wayne 4 this fall. This will be the end of the Wax & Wayne sequence. They have been really fun to write, those books. And I've got some really good Wayne stuff in this one, so be excited. So, I'll finish that, and that is the next Cosmere book I will do. January 1st, my requirement is I... What I'm trying to do now, is I'm trying to do half my time Stormlight, half my time other stuff. That's the kind of balance I'm looking to do for my sanity. So, January 1st is when it's been 18 months since I turned in Oathbringer, and at that point, I have 18 months to get Book 4 done. So, I will start January 1st writing Stormlight 4, rain or shine. Everything else kinda has to be put aside. And then, we'll go until that book is done.

After Stormlight 4; at this point, the Wax & Wayne books are done, so we finally have opened up room to do either an Elantris sequel or a Warbreaker sequel. I'll do one of the two of those in between. And then we will do Stormlight 5. And then, we have the first sequence of Stormlight books finished. And at that point, my goal is to do Mistborn Era 3. 3 of those. 1980s level, spy thriller-ish Mistborn stuff. And then we will come back and start on Stormlight 6. 6-10, different cycle. This is how I make sure this all kind of fits together. So, we will do that.

And at that point, we will do... plan is, right now, the Dragonsteel sequence. Which is however many books I decide to do about Hoid's backstory. He has shifted to be the main viewpoint character of those. He was a side viewpoint character when I originally wrote them, but now I've kinda stolen all the pieces of that story that were not about him and put them in other books. So what remains is his backstory. I plan those to be first-person stories that he's telling, if I can get them to work.

So, then, we wrap out the Cosmere with the Mistborn science fiction series, the kind of Dune-esque far-future science fiction Cosmere thing. That is my grand timeline. Somewhere in there, I want to get one sequel to Warbreaker, two sequels to Elantris, and one Threnody novel. So, that's my goal. And that, I think, is doable before I die. We're just gonna keep that as our goal moving forward, and try not to add too much more to it, though there will be novellas and things like that as they pop up.

So he will start writing The Lost Metal this fall, before beginning to work on Stormlight 4 in January next year.

Since fall begins in September, I think that he will begin writing Wax&Wayne 4 in three days, and he will finish his part of the writing process some time in December. Then the book goes to the editors, and shortly afterwards to the printing presses. So we will get the book in February! *stamps with his feet* I need my Cosmere fix!!!

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Torrannor posted:

So he will start writing The Lost Metal this fall, before beginning to work on Stormlight 4 in January next year.

Since fall begins in September, I think that he will begin writing Wax&Wayne 4 in three days, and he will finish his part of the writing process some time in December. Then the book goes to the editors, and shortly afterwards to the printing presses. So we will get the book in February! *stamps with his feet* I need my Cosmere fix!!!

Wow, I'm a little surprised there's not another unannounced juggernaut of a series in there before Cosmere's over. But I like this plan overall.

Also, most books take more like 9-12 months to go from turn-in to publication date. So more likely we get WW4 fall or winter 2019.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm jazzed about 80s cold war stuff set in the Mistborn universe

e: kinda morbid he's planning what he'll be able to write before he dies and he's only 42, but totally realistic

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 29, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jorenko posted:

Wow, I'm a little surprised there's not another unannounced juggernaut of a series in there before Cosmere's over. But I like this plan overall.

Also, most books take more like 9-12 months to go from turn-in to publication date. So more likely we get WW4 fall or winter 2019.

*lalalala*Not hearing you!*lalalala*

That would mean Brandon only has about six to nine months to turn in Stormlight 4 if he wants to meet his self-imposed deadline. Writing a 1000+ pages book in that short of a time is just... he's a robot, right?

Also, I would like you to pay attention to the very last sentence of the quote: "We're just gonna keep that as our goal moving forward, and try not to add too much more to it, though there will be novellas and things like that as they pop up." Perhaps there will be an accidental Stormlight trilogy to bridge the gap between books 5 and 6? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought he was going to be writing a lot of Skyward in between Mistborn and Stormlight. Surprised he said maybe more Elantris or Warbreaker

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

That would mean Brandon only has about six to nine months to turn in Stormlight 4 if he wants to meet his self-imposed deadline. Writing a 1000+ pages book in that short of a time is just... he's a robot, right?

From what he said (18 months + 18 months) it seems like he's giving himself 3 years per stormlight book which means he expects to be turning in the final revision of stormlight 4 around early 2020.

e: no wait he says January 1st is 18 months so mid-2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

I thought he was going to be writing a lot of Skyward in between Mistborn and Stormlight. Surprised he said maybe more Elantris or Warbreaker

I think Skyward is done or mostly done. He posted a picture of an Actual Book on facebook in the last few weeks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea but there's also books 2+3. I guess it's Sanderson we're talking about so maybe he already wrote those, but I thought in the State of the Sanderson last year he said he'd be doing those projects.

E; Yea -

2018 Skyward
2019 Wax & Wayne 4 + Skyward 2
2020 Stormlight 4 + Skyward 3

Although I guess he was talking after Stormlight 4 mostly so :shrug:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 29, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mewse posted:

e: kinda morbid he's planning what he'll be able to write before he dies and he's only 42, but totally realistic

I think he's just more attuned to the issue than other authors, since he finished WoT after Robert Jordan died. And he's mapped out a pretty ambitious plan for Cosmere novels. He has about 20 years to finish Stormlight if he really releases one every 3 years, so he will be over 60 then. There's always the possibility of physical or mental decline, I appreciate that he thinks about stuff like this. I'm still very sad about Robert Jordan. And Frank Herbert. At least the former left enough notes and got a worthy successor to finish his work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

according to a couple days ago on reddit, he's currently writing skyward two

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I'm still very sad about Robert Jordan. And Frank Herbert. At least the former left enough notes and got a worthy successor to finish his work.

Amen

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Torrannor posted:

Jazzed for every single part of this, but especially the next Mistborn series.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was avoiding Elantris but it seems like I'll just have to read it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I think he's just more attuned to the issue than other authors, since he finished WoT after Robert Jordan died. And he's mapped out a pretty ambitious plan for Cosmere novels. He has about 20 years to finish Stormlight if he really releases one every 3 years, so he will be over 60 then. There's always the possibility of physical or mental decline, I appreciate that he thinks about stuff like this. I'm still very sad about Robert Jordan. And Frank Herbert. At least the former left enough notes and got a worthy successor to finish his work.
Iain Banks is the worst one for me, though I suppose it helped that he never really wrote an overarching series that was left without a finale. I really appreciate Sanderson's realistic approach. I bet he lines up a successor if he gets sick before SLA is done.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Iain Banks is the worst one for me, though I suppose it helped that he never really wrote an overarching series that was left without a finale. I really appreciate Sanderson's realistic approach. I bet he lines up a successor if he gets sick before SLA is done.

The Hydrogen Sonata was all about endings though. He wrote it knowing he had cancer and was dying, so he wrote a book about the slow decline and ‘death’ of a whole civilization.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know if there's a way to get the latest Legion novella without buying the omnibus and getting the first two again?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the latest Legion novella without buying the omnibus and getting the first two again?

There is, but it'll cost you more.

https://subterraneanpress.com/slider-tabs/just-announced/legion-lies-of-the-beholder

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ahh sub press. Classic. I expect there'll be an epub around when the mass market copies drop.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Crown of Swords. That book is one colossal turd. The only redeeming factors are Tylin constantly trying to bang Mat and the introduction of the gholams.

The last handful of books have followed the formula of:
- people talking
- Nynaeve being an awful character
- introduce 200 more characters that I can’t keep the names straight
- more people talking
- Nynaeve being an awful character
- Rand travels to $random_city and “conquers” it while killing a wet fart of a foresaken in the process.

In Lord of Chaos, substitute “rad as gently caress last 5 chapters” for my last bullet point.

I’m determined to slog through these next few books before the Sanderson ones but goddamn, the signal-to-noise ratio is really bad.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm on chapter 28 of Crown. Only reason I'm even that far is because I listened to 9 hours of the audio book while driving across the state. That was 2 weekends ago, now.

Every time I try to read I just lose focus after 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ever since book 3 or so I’ve been listening to the audiobooks during my 45-minute work commute. The dude is good and his voice for Loiel is hilarious, but the lady just about puts me to sleep.