Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone got recommendations for OCR software?

Recently I found out that adobe pro DC can make a scanned PDF searchable using OCR, while retaining the scanned image. I fed it a 237 pg service manual for my motorcycle and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Might not fit your use case tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

The key is only 32 bits long because otherwise its too annoying to give over the phone

It's "fourwordsalluppercase", isn't it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLE7zsJk4AI

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Secretlypregnant

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Also people have been using faxes for so long the eFax confuses them. It adds a step of scan then email rather than just scan. Receiving is ok but they bitch about sending.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So now that we're off of bathroom chat, my current place agreed to let me work from home 1 day a week, strictly on projects and training, and agreed to pay for pretty much whatever training I want, even if it is not something that directly benefits the company. They've also agreed to bonusing me out an as executive at the end of each year and said I can request a salary correction for next year. I'm less concerned about the bonus or salary request. I get paid pretty well and if those things never materialize, oh well.

My real question is, does anyone have any suggestions on training? I'm fairly well-versed in the Microsoft ecosystem and am not really looking for that. Networking has never been my passion. A CCNA never hurts, but I'd like to do something a little more enjoyable. My interest and career goal at this point is to move to more of a DevOps environment and get away from IT for businesses.

I can fumble around in Linux, but really need some more training there. I know RedHat certs are usually the recommended route there. I've architected/administered some AWS and Azure. I was thinking something like AWS or GCP certs would be nice. So I've got some random ideas, but I was wondering what you all thought. I've always just learned hands-on at work and I really struggle with things like studying or homework, so courses that are more hands-on would be great.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 21, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Also people have been using faxes for so long the eFax confuses them. It adds a step of scan then email rather than just scan. Receiving is ok but they bitch about sending.

I usually just tell my users that if the file isn't already digital, then we should have a digital copy in our DMS for our records. If you find the process too cumbersome, that's okay, it's self-documenting and that is by design.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do a Google Cloud cert because it's a fair bit different to AWS in an interesting way, but some of the stuff they architect just seems really nice

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So what do you guys do if a customer wants a fax ITYOOL 2018?

Sometimes we just tell them to get a POTS line if they want that poo poo.

But most of the time our sales people want that sweet extra dollar a month or whatever, and it's a crapshoot whether the faxes will work over VoIP.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something but would an ATA not solve your problem, assuming I'm understanding correctly that you are in a VoIP environment? Cisco makes them and I assume others do.

EDIT: On a reread it sounds like you're aware but they don't work reliably? That sounds like it might be a cabling issue, I know ours (Cisco) do not like Cat5 and do not like lines that don't meet spec even if they function on less sensitive devices. If the lines are 5e or better and pass certification you shouldn't have a problem.

guppy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 21, 2018

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Pass certification? How does one do that.

I'm tellin ya this place is podunk.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

My real question is, does anyone have any suggestions on training? I'm fairly well-versed in the Microsoft ecosystem and am not really looking for that. Networking has never been my passion. A CCNA never hurts, but I'd like to do something a little more enjoyable. My interest and career goal at this point is to move to more of a DevOps environment and get away from IT for businesses.

I can fumble around in Linux, but really need some more training there. I know RedHat certs are usually the recommended route there. I've architected/administered some AWS and Azure. I was thinking something like AWS or GCP certs would be nice. So I've got some random ideas, but I was wondering what you all thought. I've always just learned hands-on at work and I really struggle with things like studying or homework, so courses that are more hands-on would be great.

Not explicitly what you asked for but I really like Safari, which is run by O'Reilly. They have RHSA/RHCE crash live training with Sander van Vugt (who wrote loads of Linux books), for example, not to mention what appears to be a large portion of the O'Reilly published library, loads of video courses, and other live training. There's even a free trial for individuals so you can see if it's up your alley or not.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm gonna keep bragging about my company bc I'm obsessed. We do this thing called "The J-Factor" which stands for JOY and today we ate skittles and played Nintendo Switch after our team meeting.

I'll balance it out with: I have to go through our company's 400 Verizon phone lines and figure out who actually still works there and who is just getting a free phone bc we have no process for offboarding company provided phones apparently

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'll balance it out with: I have to go through our company's 400 Verizon phone lines and figure out who actually still works there and who is just getting a free phone bc we have no process for offboarding company provided phones apparently

I did this two weeks into my very first IT job. Was handed the keys to the Verizon kingdom, went through it, went "hey out of the 120 total here's 30 lines that belong to ex-employees, I just shut them off and saved you $40k a year".

Got back "OK".

Good lesson.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Pass certification? How does one do that.

I'm tellin ya this place is podunk.

Yeah I get it there's no way that company has a cable certifier. (Although maybe yours should.) But our ATAs work reliably enough that I would almost be comfortable enough just based on their failure to tell the customer that the issue is the physical plant for their network. Anyway my point isn't so much that you should test their cabling as that ATAs are reliable devices.

guppy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 22, 2018

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I did this two weeks into my very first IT job. Was handed the keys to the Verizon kingdom, went through it, went "hey out of the 120 total here's 30 lines that belong to ex-employees, I just shut them off and saved you $40k a year".

Got back "OK".

Good lesson.

My company gives out phone lines like candy, but the morons still insist on also having a Cisco desk phone

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GFI Faxmaker Online - https://www.gfi.com/products-and-solutions/email-and-messaging-solutions/gfi-faxmaker-online

Do not under any circumstances install POTS lines and a fax machine.

We have a server with a Fax card running GFI Faxmaker because my boss doesn't like the cloud.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Good morning, I was flagged down by a panicked professor at 7:45AM this morning who informed me that his "classroom was unusable". I go into the classroom to find that a water main had burst and flooded the classroom. Then he gives me the whole "do something!" look and all I can say is "hmm... we might want to call facilities".

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone got recommendations for OCR software?

For small or bulk jobs?
I'm in the process of evaluating some OCR systems for our legal team (thousands of printed contracts)

ABBYY does the job and is easy to set up, but it's pretty expensive
Autostore by Nuance has some additional features like add-ons for our MFPs and you can put filters in the workflow, but it's the least intuitive thing I've used and the documentation is shite.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"Well sir, the computers are functioning as intended. I will be closing the ticket."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm gonna keep bragging about my company bc I'm obsessed. We do this thing called "The J-Factor" which stands for JOY and today we ate skittles and played Nintendo Switch after our team meeting.

See, this kind of poo poo would drive me nuts. I am too old or something. Playing video games with co-workers after work, at work, is not appealing. But that might be because all my co-workers are awful jackasses lately :[

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They said after their team meeting, not after work.

Sheep posted:

Not explicitly what you asked for but I really like Safari, which is run by O'Reilly. They have RHSA/RHCE crash live training with Sander van Vugt (who wrote loads of Linux books), for example, not to mention what appears to be a large portion of the O'Reilly published library, loads of video courses, and other live training. There's even a free trial for individuals so you can see if it's up your alley or not.

Also, thanks for this. Will look into it.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 22, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only co-workers i've played games with after work were truly the laddiest of "lad lads". Wouldn't do it with any other type of coworker tbh.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Also, thanks for this. Will look into it.

The book by him covers both rhcsa and rhce and is pretty good. The videos are good too. It’s a great way to learn a lot of things you m]ght not do daily.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

See, this kind of poo poo would drive me nuts. I am too old or something. Playing video games with co-workers after work, at work, is not appealing. But that might be because all my co-workers are awful jackasses lately :[

Maybe ten years ago but after work it's like "man I gotta get home I have a wife and kids and have plans to do X" pretty much every day.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Someone on this conference call just said "it would facilitate ideation of requirements" and I had to stop and ask myself how much trouble I'd be in if I just moved my PTO from "starts at close of business today" to "starts right now."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Maybe ten years ago but after work it's like "man I gotta get home I have a wife and kids and have plans to do X" pretty much every day.

Pretty much. When I was in my early 20's I'd happily go out drinking with coworkers, or stay late to play Guitar Hero on the projector or whatever. Now it's like, oh you want to do happy hour? Please schedule it a month in advance, and I probably still won't make it cause one of the kids will spontaneously develop Ebola that morning or something.

I'm not against hanging out with coworkers, it just isn't logistically part of my life anymore.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Normally my day ended 4 hours ago, but here I am still in a Webex. At least I get paid OT for it and I get to watch 2 smarter dudes troubleshoot technology I dont quite understand yet.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Someone on this conference call just said "it would facilitate ideation of requirements" and I had to stop and ask myself how much trouble I'd be in if I just moved my PTO from "starts at close of business today" to "starts right now."

What the gently caress prompted that phrase to be said?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vargatron posted:

"Can the needful be reverted?"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Someone apparently wanted to find the fanciest possible way to say "let's get the right people in a room and let them hash out the deployment plan for this application."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh, most evenings I probably have the time. I'd just... absolutely rather being doing something else. ANYTHING else.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Can we not have a slap-fight about hanging out with co-workers vs your family vs being an ugly goon troll hiding in a basement; that is probably my least enjoyable recurring IT threads fight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've always had the benefit of being 10+ years younger than my coworkers so I never got pestered into having a "bro's night out". At least when I did do bar crawls with coworkers, it was with floor technicians from another plant and I didn't work with them directly.

As an aside, molding technicians are some of the hardest drinkers and profligates known to man, but holy poo poo are they fun to be around.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"What's our north star?" is my favorite IT bullshit buzzword

Makes me want to jump out the window

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ElGroucho posted:

"What's our north star?" is my favorite IT bullshit buzzword

Makes me want to jump out the window

"Polaris. If we could re-define the North Star it would lose all meaning and purpose."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AnonymousNarcotics didn't even say it was after work, just after a team meeting.

We get it goons, you don't like hanging out with coworkers after work. Glad we cleared that up.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Last friday. I played poker with some coworkers after work

It was fun

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I went out drinking with some people from work last night, it was fun.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Some of my best friends and two girlfriends were coworkers. Don't recommend the latter though heh

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

One of my contract customers had a anti-fraternization policy with non-FTEs.

Socializing with vendors and contractors strictly forbidden. If you were onsite by yourself you’d walk through the cafeteria and sit all alone for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Our marketing people ordered a video conference solution straight from china! MAXHUB

Turns out, this thing must be a state sponsored spying device because infosec found this thing infested with a botnet client worm already pre-installed. It also sends out audio and video files to chinese IP's. This thing is stacked with fun toys like

Wifi Hot Spot Built In (Please connect all your devices)
Camera and Mic
Full windows computer
Wifi and Ethernet

This thing is basically a security nightmare and someone paid real money for it.