Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This reminds me that Zi-O's trailer looks slick and pretty dang promising, mostly anchored by the belt voices/sound effects and the promise of my bros Sento, Banjo, Shotaro, and Gentaro, but the only major issue I have is the dude in Zi-O does not strike me as a charismatic, badass leader and king. Maybe it's nothing more than a tagline and initial catchphrase gimmick, but the protagonist should have much more presence than that if he becomes a king! He looks like a generic happy-go-lucky weenie teenager. Even Gates is more kingly than the Zi-O dude.

Woah there. Neither Shotaro nor Gentaro have been confirmed to be back. Let's not jump into conclusions here, likely as they may be.

Right now, the only confirmed returnees are Emu, Hiiro, Sento and Banjou. Beyond those four, Kento Handa and Kohei Murakami apparently were filming or about to film something together, alongside the singer of Faiz' opening, making it more than obvious that we're getting Takumi and Kusaka as well, and apparently something song-related for Faiz, maybe a remix of JustiFaiz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Like hell I do. I haven't watched Decade, I ain't about to watch Decade 2.0.

You should watch Decade. Tsukasa and his boyfriend Diend and his galpal Natsumikan are an amazing trio among the top Rider casts.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
This is where I confess that I've never liked Tsukasa. Mainly it's a general distaste for the hypercompetent jerk archetype (I keep expecting that huge ego bubble to burst, and when it FINALLY happens it feels like too little too late), but most importantly because his entire deal is making the cool superheroes you know and love look incompetent by comparison.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Stay far away from Kabuto then. Tendou is 10x worse than Tsukasa and he never gets any comeuppance of any kind.

Outside of the main hero & heroine though Kabuto has a fantastic cast and all the Rider suits are really great.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Potsticker posted:

Stay far away from Kabuto then. Tendou is 10x worse than Tsukasa and he never gets any comeuppance of any kind.

Outside of the main hero & heroine though Kabuto has a fantastic cast and all the Rider suits are really great.

Kabuto was actually my first Rider show! Tendou was kind of aggravating, and actually pretty boring besides, but I do agree with all this. The plot was sometimes weak but the action was stylish, the secondary cast was excellent (KaGAmi and Tsurugi especially) and the suits are some of my favorites in the franchise. And the humor was often better than even in the more lighthearted series, too.

Kabuto himself still remains my favorite main rider design to this day, though W and Build come close. I like sleek, shiny designs, what can I say.

Though I'm curious now: what are the thread's favorite main Rider suits?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fred is on posted:

Kabuto was actually my first Rider show! Tendou was kind of aggravating, and actually pretty boring besides, but I do agree with all this. The plot was sometimes weak but the action was stylish, the secondary cast was excellent (KaGAmi and Tsurugi especially) and the suits are some of my favorites in the franchise. And the humor was often better than even in the more lighthearted series, too.

Kabuto himself still remains my favorite main rider design to this day, though W and Build come close. I like sleek, shiny designs, what can I say.

RabbitTank Sparking, FangJoker, TaJaDor, Fourze Base States, Agito Shining, Blade King Form.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fred is on posted:

Main Rider suits? Amazon (and by extension Jin in Amazons) and Stronger I really like from the Showa era. Heisei I'd have to say-- Faiz is probably my favorite. Fourze and Drive are also strong contenders.

Kabuto, Den-O and Decade all had good suits, but were all upstaged by their secondary Riders.

Then comes OOOs and Wizard.

W was a fantastic show and I love the belt, but the suit along with Build's are just okay.

And while not very "Kamen Rider" I did like the suits in Hibiki.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GuyUpNorth posted:

This is not first-hand knowledge but didn't Hongo himself fight first and foremost for humanity's freedom, and justice started taking over with Hayato/V3 until Stronger was all about it?

Oh right, to touch on this even though I'm late. "Kamen Rider fights against Shocker for humanity's freedom!" is literally the tagline of '71. It's a very specific phrase that caries some Ishinomori ideas - Justice is part of the show, even from the beginning, though because humanity's freedom is instead referring to the fact that Shocker, at least in '71, is, y'know, literal Actual Factual Nazis - and even when they shed the Nazi ideology, when they become Gel-Shocker and Destron and GOD - Rider is fighting against fascism, inasmuch as a primetime TV show in 70s Japan can talk about fascism.

It's a very specific phrase that's definitely coded into oldschool Showa shows - I didn't really give Wizard a shot when it was current and haven't gone back to watch it. I don't know what the specific context there is, but "fighting for humanity's freedom" is in fact a tagline that's been around with the series from its very inception.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think i liked all the forms in ooo aside from putotyra. that show had some great suit design. next would probably be g3, which was cool because of how much of a piece of poo poo it was.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fred is on posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I loved the Faiz suits. They looked like actual combat hardsuits with some funtime coloring. W's suit variations were all pretty sweet too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Faiz's suits are pretty universally loved tho? There's a reason people jokingly worry about the quality of any series with badass suits.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Favorite suits, you say? Black Hazard, Black RX, Kuuga Ultimate (which is black).
Strangely, Black doesn’t do it for me. :thunk:

Jokes aside, Black RX is a pure nostalgia pick and if you added secondary riders I would scream about Chalice forever.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 22, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Monathin posted:

Oh right, to touch on this even though I'm late. "Kamen Rider fights against Shocker for humanity's freedom!" is literally the tagline of '71. It's a very specific phrase that caries some Ishinomori ideas - Justice is part of the show, even from the beginning, though because humanity's freedom is instead referring to the fact that Shocker, at least in '71, is, y'know, literal Actual Factual Nazis - and even when they shed the Nazi ideology, when they become Gel-Shocker and Destron and GOD - Rider is fighting against fascism, inasmuch as a primetime TV show in 70s Japan can talk about fascism.

It's a very specific phrase that's definitely coded into oldschool Showa shows - I didn't really give Wizard a shot when it was current and haven't gone back to watch it. I don't know what the specific context there is, but "fighting for humanity's freedom" is in fact a tagline that's been around with the series from its very inception.

You even have the hilariously heavy handed PURESTRAIN Ishinomori stuff that bleeds through in the manga for '71 Rider, where society itself is blamed for Shocker being what it is, especially the politicians.

And in the end the politicians squirm and weasel their way through as Taki snarls at them from afar.

Kamen Rider wasn't just anti-facist, but it could be down right anti-authority when allowed to be. Rider worked WITH government agents and the like, but only as far as their goals aligned.

Taki was just 100% down with Rider poo poo.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The fight choreography in Wizard is good and all, but Haruto himself is such a bland, tedious character that he sucks the enthusiasm out of the battles for me. Also I don't really like any of the weapons in Wizard and that hurts the overall impact of the fights. The AxCalibur is so boring and doesn't even have good sound effects!

Nitou was cool as hell as Beast though... when the show remembered he existed once in a while.

i actually kind of liked that they inverted the usual dynamic of main and secondary rider for haruto and nitou

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Also I don't really like any of the weapons in Wizard and that hurts the overall impact of the fights. The AxCalibur is so boring and doesn't even have good sound effects!

also holy poo poo this is pure liquid wrong "shabadoobie touch henshin" "please" "kick strike saikoooou" "slash strike shake hands"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have some more information on how Zi-O's working. We're back to the two-episode format, each forming a mini arc centered on a past Rider, with the last ten episodes focusing on the final battle of the series, or so the writer wants though he's said this may change. Regardless, the first six episodes are Build, Ex-Aid, Fourze. All of them will have the original series' directors.

From the arcs themselves, the Build arc will have Zi-O's beginnings and the bad guys creating Another Build, while the Fourze arc will set the three protagonists in Amanogawa. We don't know any returning actors for Fourze yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If they adhere to the original worlds of the riders then that's already better than Decade. As long as at least one giant crab gets rock and rolled to death then it should handily surpass it.

I saw the LuPat/Build movies today and really liked both. The Zi-O teaser was kind of eh compared to the Build teaser at the end of ExAid. That one was very true to character and even tied into future movies, this one... Well, I'll explain it for those who care.

In the post credits scene, Sento is tinkering in his lab when suddenly a laser shoots out of the white Pandora Panel and opens a gate and teleports Sento to the quarry. There he sees all the Heisei riders fighting their big bags- This leads to a cute moment where he calls out to Ex-Aid because he (at least in the movies) canonically knows him and I love that they do that. Then Zi-O shows up in his time machine, says THIS IS YOUR POWER and transforms into Build Armor Time and murders literally everyone in the quarry with his finisher, Riders and Bad Guys alike. There is no commentary on this. Sento asks him who he is and he states that he is the Demon King Who Possesses The Powers of All Heisei Riders. Then it ends.

Pretty basic. But Zi-O's designs look good at least and the belt effects and sounds are great. His voice was hopefully just a placeholder though because it was super high and not very cool.

But more importantly there was a loving fantastic scene in the LuPat movie that seals Keiichiro as the best character. Also spoiled below along with info on the movie exclusive gadget-

The gist of the movie is that a Gangler traps Kairi and Keiichiro in the Gangler world. They escape getting murdered by Destra and Gauche then meet Jackpot Striker, Goodie's uh buddy who looks a lot like him except he transforms into a way loving cooler robot and it is a drat, drat shame that it won't/might not show up in the series proper cause hot drat is it cool. Also later he fuses the LupinRangers like Goodie does to the Pats and it is GREAT. Anyway, the important thing is that they figure out they need to sneak into the Gangler base and force one of the Ganglers to open a gate to get them back to the human world. When they get to the base, LupinRed grapples up onto the wall but Keiichiro is like, "Wait, isn't this... breaking and entering?!" He's so drat pure, I love him.

Good poo poo. I really wish they came to DVD sooner than they do.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

We have some more information on how Zi-O's working. We're back to the two-episode format, each forming a mini arc centered on a past Rider, with the last ten episodes focusing on the final battle of the series, or so the writer wants though he's said this may change. Regardless, the first six episodes are Build, Ex-Aid, Fourze. All of them will have the original series' directors.

From the arcs themselves, the Build arc will have Zi-O's beginnings and the bad guys creating Another Build, while the Fourze arc will set the three protagonists in Amanogawa. We don't know any returning actors for Fourze yet.

This is very, very promising if they can keep it up with bringing in the original series directors in the original settings for each Rider with original actors too. Gettin kinda hype!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That increases the motivation to watch it. It's less a story about a new rider and more a series of stories about riders you've watched with a guest star.

Don't like this week's episode? wait two weeks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Can I get a source on this?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Can I get a source on this?

Of course, here it is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sorry for the double post but I think Best Boy Banjou Ryuuga deserves it. And this popped up in my Youtube feed today, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxbmac9SD0

Note that it isn't the "real" version, it's a cover by everyone's favourite dad Dan Masamune and the band behind other Build songs. The "real" version won't be out until September 5.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

also holy poo poo this is pure liquid wrong "shabadoobie touch henshin" "please" "kick strike saikoooou" "slash strike shake hands"

Wizard's belt is definitely my favorite.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Potsticker posted:

You should watch Decade. Tsukasa and his boyfriend Diend and his galpal Natsumikan are an amazing trio among the top Rider casts.

The first episode I saw was the Shinkenger crossover into Decade and it made me love that entire cast. So much antagonism toward each other.

Also Banjou, you're not supposed to make me cry over a karate bugman show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This crossover was going to happen sooner or later and it genuinely surprises me it took this long (or I took this long to see it)

https://twitter.com/QuireFeast/status/1032415936345559040

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Xelkelvos posted:

Wizard's belt is definitely my favorite.

It's hard to find fault in a belt that congratulates you when you use your finisher.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
IXA continues to be my favorite rider suit of all time, in both of its first two forms (closed helmet, open helmet). Third form loses the thread, unfortunately.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I really like all of the amazons suits. Kabuto right behind them. Though thinking about it now there are very few (base form at least) suit designs that I would consider bad in kamen rider. Even Ex-Aid's aesthetic I wasn't jazzed about but it grew on me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I really like all of the amazons suits. Kabuto right behind them. Though thinking about it now there are very few (base form at least) suit designs that I would consider bad in kamen rider. Even Ex-Aid's aesthetic I wasn't jazzed about but it grew on me.

Ex-Aid grew on me so much throughout the series. I wasn't super into it at first but later on when he would jump out of the Maximum Mighty Suit and use the LVL 2 form and even at the end when they all went LVL 1, it was all extremely hype.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have a few more Zi-O things. First of all, here's every main RideWatch, except Decade's since that's special, in high quality. After that, we have another summary of the series, alongside what I think is our first view of an Another Watch and the descriptions of its side effects.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ex-Aid grew on me so much throughout the series. I wasn't super into it at first but later on when he would jump out of the Maximum Mighty Suit and use the LVL 2 form and even at the end when they all went LVL 1, it was all extremely hype.

My friends and I went through Ex-Aid together, going from "why are we watching this" to "we need to keep watching this" over the course of our month-long simulwatch.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yall this build episode went fuckin hard

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This weekend's the finale, yeah?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Should be since Zi-Oh premiers next weekend.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

(big last episode spoilers) I love how half the episode is dedicated to Sento being melancholic about losing his place in the world, then Banjou bounces in all "hey I saw another me and Kasumi walking around, crazy poo poo" :allears:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Even better stuff on said episode calling back to how they met and Sento turning story of Kamen Rider Build into in-universe story, with live narration. 11/10 meta :allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Okay that was a pretty decent ending, I'd say they've stuck the landing overall.
A lot of that was carried by the crazy good Sento+Banjou chemistry but still; those ending minutes where perfect.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 26, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pity about that completely pointless 10 episode stretch, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There was a bit of a rough patch but it's good to see that Build managed to stick the landing. I'm cautiously optimistic next week for Decade 2 Kamen Rider Zi-O. I kind of like how the last episode of Build sort of tied directly into it as well, which hopefully means the Rider Worlds won't be AUs this time around.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Banjou and Sento literally got to ride off into the sunset together :3: To get married