Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OmegaGoo posted:

There's a reason a lot of us prefer the "two-pile" house rule.

This is currently the only house rule we use. And it's partly because that's how we've been doing it from the beginning since we misinterpreted the rulebook. We don't feel bad about it at all. Missing with advantage is garbage. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OmegaGoo posted:

There's a reason a lot of us prefer the "two-pile" house rule.

??

I feel like in practice the "advantage means pick best for the players, disadvantage means pick worst for the players" house rule is simpler and better than the official advantage/disadvantage rule it just requires some good faith playing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Xad posted:

Oh man, two minis and sun are FANTASTIC together
I play Sun!

Our Triforce player retired last session, and unlocked Two Minis...

...but decided to play Angryface instead.

:negative:

Edit: But unless something goes drastically wrong, I'm retiring Sun in the next couple of scenarios, and my unlock is Music Note. Which I don't know anything about, but I'm guessing it might be up my alley.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

??

I feel like in practice the "advantage means pick best for the players, disadvantage means pick worst for the players" house rule is simpler and better than the official advantage/disadvantage rule it just requires some good faith playing.

I agree with your statement here. RAW, your +1/+1/Null with advantage is an advantage miss. Houserule says you have another pile, so Advantage will never miss without curses in your deck.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What houserule?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
RAW, if you flip a rolling modifier on an attack with Advantage, you don't flip any more cards and just have the rolling modifier applied to the non-rolling one. If you flip two rolling modifiers, you keep flipping until you find a non-rolling modifier, and apply all the rolling modifiers to that. Sucks to be you if the non-rolling modifier you find is the miss.

A common house rule (that some people don't even realise is a house rule) is to instead flip until you find a non-rolling modifier (same as if you were making a non-advantaged attack), call it "pile 1", then do the same again and call it "pile 2". Then you pick whichever overall pile is better (or, if they're ambiguous, take pile 1).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WhiteHowler posted:

But unless something goes drastically wrong, I'm retiring Sun in the next couple of scenarios, and my unlock is Music Note. Which I don't know anything about, but I'm guessing it might be up my alley.

Music Note is fantastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WhiteHowler posted:

I play Sun!

Our Triforce player retired last session, and unlocked Two Minis...

...but decided to play Angryface instead.

:negative:
Sun and Angryface is our current combo and it works well given it's just tank and ranged damage dealer.

But we found Sun and Two Minis to be constantly clashing with Sun unable to do much because of how aggressive the bear was and how awkward positioning it is.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sun and Angryface is our current combo and it works well given it's just tank and ranged damage dealer.

But we found Sun and Two Minis to be constantly clashing with Sun unable to do much because of how aggressive the bear was and how awkward positioning it is.

Sun and two minis: give the bear advantage and extra attacks/moves. The two minis modifier deck gets ridiculous, let that bear attack as much as possible

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Xad posted:

Sun and two minis: give the bear advantage and extra attacks/moves. The two minis modifier deck gets ridiculous, let that bear attack as much as possible

Yeah, I'd say do a support build. The bear needs healing and Sun can provide that handily. If the bear's in trouble or you're facing enemies with retaliate, Sun can step up with a few big attacks or play fast cards to pull monster focus. Bear plus bless does nice things, too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Our Spellweaver did his solo scenario last night. I helped him by running the helper app and moving tokens around. It took him like 7 or 8 tries and he ended up having to buy a couple items to finish it. Plus he got hosed by bad RNG more than once. Oh also he wanted to run it at level 6 even though he's level 7 and I screwed up and added difficulty 4 monsters a couple times. Whoops! Even on difficulty 3 it looked like it was balls hard.

Anyway the reward item is holy shitballs amazing and I'm a little salty how much better it is than the Mindthief reward. I was also thinking that the flask would be even better for a Cragheart since they can take the perk that ignores negative item effects. Even more impetus for someone to eventually start a Cragheart.

My wife took a look at the Tinkerer solo mission and was like :catstare: That might even be harder than the Spellweaver scenario.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Ignoring negative item effects should really only read "don't put -1s in your deck from items". Anything that happens as a result of using or equipping an item still happens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My group finally met again and I shelved my Eclipse character in favor of trying out Two Minis.

Class rules.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My playgroup has gotten a few scenarios in now and pretty soon we're going to have to start making Plot Choices.

I know that there's a Scenario Flowchart on BGG and I've looked at it, but has anyone gone through and math'd out the optimal path for unlocking as many scenarios as possible?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there's like 90 scenarios in the base game, whatever it locks you out of will barely scratch that total number

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I know that there's a Scenario Flowchart on BGG and I've looked at it, but has anyone gone through and math'd out the optimal path for unlocking as many scenarios as possible?

At most you're locked out of 9 scenarios.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Plus you can just go do them on casual if you like.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not all of them. Rules as written, some scenarios are forever banned. For example, after Inox Encampment you do either Diamond Mine or Warehouse, with one locking the other. We did Warehouse. Diamond Mine is indeed available to us in casual mode. However, casual mode does not get you end-of-scenario special bonuses. Therefore, Gloomhaven Square A and B, which become unlocked from Diamond Mine, will never be placed on our world map. They are therefore ineligible for casual mode play.

Again, I know nothing stops me from simply reading any scenario I like in the book and setting it up for play. The rules just seem to have a gap in them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yah, I found a chart

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 27, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

While that does help you avoid a few hiccups you could come across (accidentally locking out some options) it does also send you down certain plot lines that you may not wish to do like the branch starting from scenario 35 which is outright evil.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Doctor Spaceman posted:

While that does help you avoid a few hiccups you could come across (accidentally locking out some options) it does also send you down certain plot lines that you may not wish to do like the branch starting from scenario 35 which is outright evil.

Yeah, I just want to make sure we're making informed choices.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Not all of them. Rules as written, some scenarios are forever banned. For example, after Inox Encampment you do either Diamond Mine or Warehouse, with one locking the other. We did Warehouse. Diamond Mine is indeed available to us in casual mode. However, casual mode does not get you end-of-scenario special bonuses. Therefore, Gloomhaven Square A and B, which become unlocked from Diamond Mine, will never be placed on our world map. They are therefore ineligible for casual mode play.

Again, I know nothing stops me from simply reading any scenario I like in the book and setting it up for play. The rules just seem to have a gap in them.

Casual Mode is play any scenario you drat well please. The rules suggest (not require) you don't play one without having unlocked it first, but if you're out of properly unlocked scenarios to play and you don't wanna random dungeon, it's time to just flip to a scenario and try it out.

We're up to 60 or so scenarios cleared and we have zero options left other than waiting for events or retirements to unlock more. Except you're not supposed to flip events doing casual/random, so RAW we would have 30ish scenarios that we can never play in campaign mode?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Casual Mode is play any scenario you drat well please. The rules suggest (not require) you don't play one without having unlocked it first, but if you're out of properly unlocked scenarios to play and you don't wanna random dungeon, it's time to just flip to a scenario and try it out.

We're up to 60 or so scenarios cleared and we have zero options left other than waiting for events or retirements to unlock more. Except you're not supposed to flip events doing casual/random, so RAW we would have 30ish scenarios that we can never play in campaign mode?

City events you can flip anytime you visit Gloomhaven, and I think the casual scenarios still break up time spent in Gloomhaven so you can still do 1 city event per casual scenario. And you can still activate retirement requirements in casual mode.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SynthesisAlpha posted:

No, the rules suggest that you don't play a scenario on casual before you've played it on regular.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

City events you can flip anytime you visit Gloomhaven, and I think the casual scenarios still break up time spent in Gloomhaven so you can still do 1 city event per casual scenario.
I think they don't, but it's a dumb rule and we houseruled it.

Most of our house rules are about campaign progress because it's the bit of the game that isn't tightly balanced and polished.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

City events you can flip anytime you visit Gloomhaven, and I think the casual scenarios still break up time spent in Gloomhaven so you can still do 1 city event per casual scenario. And you can still activate retirement requirements in casual mode.

Nope, page 41. Road events are mandatory "unless playing the same scenario, the scenarios are linked, or you are playing in casual mode."

City events can be triggered once per visit to gloomhaven, but gloomhaven visits are "once per campaign mode scenario".

Which is why we are ignoring those rules.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The game is designed to be played through in campaign mode more than once. It's perfectly ok to not play every scenario on the first campaign.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have a question about buff timing, that pertains specifically to Eclipse class:

That action he has that reads Move 2 Consume Dark to double your Attacks for rest of turn. If I have the persistent loss card on where it makes an AoE attack after every move, do I get a doubled AoE after that Move 2 if I consume Dark? I would figure "yes" because typically element consumptions apply right away (otherwise consume for +Move or +Attack would never work) but I want to be sure this isn't some special case where it's Move 2, then activate the power-up?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
An action is the entire half of a card, not just the move or attack portion. So you do both the movement and the element consuming ability, then as a final part of the action you trigger the persistent card.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm very excited to play this with my friend for the first time tonight. We're doing a spellweaver/mindthief duo which I know is gonna be mad squishy. Anything I can do to make this a more enjoyable experience/not get our butts handed to us?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Make sure you look at what the monster cards say their actions are before you take your turns (which is after you pick your cards). If the card doesn't say "Move +/- X" then the monster doesn't move at all. You may decide to switch up your plans if you know how to stay out of range of an attack.

Spellweaver doesn't have a lot of control options but mindthief can lay some serious stuns down with Frigid Apparition and Perverse Edge.

Another good combo for door opening is Scurry to move and Into the Night to go invisible in the doorway. Invisible characters are treated as obstacles so non flying/jumping monsters cant find a path and generally won't move (archers may still move because they can find a hex inside their range).

Look at your X cards. Spellweaver should swap freezing nova for Aid from the Ether for sure. Crackling air can also be very cool but it's hard to get the air element (only on your loss jump).

Be aware of your limited stamina. Every character has a finite number of turns even without spending loss cards or losing cards to negate damage. Wasting entire turns to move sucks so either start moving towards the door before everything is dead or have a top heal action to make use of downtime movement to recover.

Make sure your mindthief understands how augments work (and only uses The Mind's Weakness). You can move the augment to your discard pile at any time, so if you are resting you can deactivate the augment so you end up with 8 cards in hand instead of 7, giving you an extra turn before you rest.

Both of you get an invisibility cloak and a stamina potion.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Rosalind posted:

I'm very excited to play this with my friend for the first time tonight. We're doing a spellweaver/mindthief duo which I know is gonna be mad squishy. Anything I can do to make this a more enjoyable experience/not get our butts handed to us?

I played a dozen scenarios or so with that combo.

The Mind's Weakness is the only augment, the rest of them are traps. Don't forget that you can default a top action to an Attack: 4 as the stab rat. Pushing monsters into traps is the best. Do your best to move in to combat slow, then on the next turn go fast and move back out. This does not work on Turn 1 or any other turn where the monsters are within movement range of you, so just go fast if there's a doubt. Turning invisible works too.

All I know about Spellweaver is that Crackling Air isn't as cool as it looks. Don't wait for the perfect AoE with 2 players, there just aren't enough mobs. And you get the card back anyways. If you short rest and the card you pull is NOT Revitalizing Ether, don't reroll.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
In addition to what others have said, deploy as far apart as possible to try to spread out incoming damage.

The first room of the first scenario is loving vicious. Mindthief's job is crowd control while letting the Spellweaver do most of the damage. Mindthief can stab the last enemy to death before the door gets opened.

When in doubt, go fast. You are on a clock based on the number of cards left in your hand and you can only rest a certain number of times before you exhaust, and that doesn't take into account the cards you choose to lose if you take a lethal hit. Don't use any loss cards until the last room if you can help it.

If you party wipe, remember that you keep any xp and coins or chests you picked up. You don't get completed check marks from battle goals though.

Good luck!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rosalind posted:

I would advise playing your first 2-3 scenarios on "easy" (monsters are level 0). The game difficulty is higher at the start because you don't have many items and don't know how to play yet. If you or your friend are easily discouraged, playing on easy may work out better than losing several scenarios multiple times.

You can always revisit later in "casual" mode. We replayed Scenario 2 with a level 7 party and just barely pulled out a win.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Don't use any loss cards until the last room if you can help it.

This advice is less applicable to a level 1 Spellweaver.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

This advice is less applicable to a level 1 Spellweaver.

Haha true but I was specifically talking about the Mindthief.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
A player in my group just unlocked the Circles class, and I finished painting up the mini.

https://imgur.com/jnwpnAX

Does anybody have good minis to use for the summons? The occasional robot or spirit is fine to use the tokens, but I was hoping to do something cooler for the summon focused class

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 28, 2018

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kaza42 posted:

A player in my group just unlocked the Circles class, and I finished painting up the mini.

https://imgur.com/jnwpnAX

Does anybody have good minis to use for the summons? The occasional robot or spirit is fine to use the tokens, but I was hoping to do something cooler for the summon focused class

I will use 2Warhammer Undead Wolves and 1 Pink or blue Horror for the thorne spitter Thing. The first one should look pretty good but I'm not sure about the second one. As a proxy it will be ok but I'm still looking for something better.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
TTS question: I unlocked envelope B last night in my solo campaign and the card was in there but the sticker was missing. I can't find it anywhere on the map or in the decals. Any idea where I could find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

TTS question: I unlocked envelope B last night in my solo campaign and the card was in there but the sticker was missing. I can't find it anywhere on the map or in the decals. Any idea where I could find it?

There wasn't a big L shaped sticker on there with a ton of little circles to mark off?