Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

As of this chapter, my hate for the earth-side gems has become truly unmeasurable in its intensity

OH MY GOD YOU FUCKERS, ADAMANT IS FINALLY ABOUT TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING AND YOU GO "Oooooh no, Adamant, you don't have to force yourself"

LET HIM TALK, GODDAMMIT

Glad to see that, even as terrifying chimera murder machine, being Phos is still suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
No, I think the thing is that he literally can’t speak freely, even though he wants to, which is why the gems are forgiving.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Agronox posted:

No, I think the thing is that he literally can’t speak freely, even though he wants to, which is why the gems are forgiving.

That's how I read it as well.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
For all that Phos has been furious dumbassing/PTSDing with no plan, going to the Moon kinda achieved at least part of their goals, though they don't know it.

Adamant has changed the most they ever have possibly since first creating the gems, becoming as open as they can about being a flawed being and becoming someone to be protected rather than a protector.

I wonder if Cairngorm is going to take a new name, maybe Shade on account of how much they are throwing.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

So Aechmea, known for his calm, clinical and passionless manner of speaking does get emotional huh.

It would be fascinating if he loses what's precious to him just so he can feel the pain Adamant has been feeling for god knows how long

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Yeah, I wonder how his May-December mid-existence crisis thing is gonna jive with the whole seeking oblivion thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

This series has way too many characters and a bunch look too similar. I keep getting lost

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/killmurders/status/1033898330630377474

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God, this series owns.

Squidster posted:

I think we should celebrate Phos this chapter! After all this time, they finally found a meaningful job that only Cinnbar can do: Cinnabar can protect their family from Phos.

Hahaha :suicide: how did poo poo go so wrong.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i finally got fed up with the english volume release pace and caught up. wow! holy poo poo!

im interested in the chekov's shard that phos handed to the new king of the sea. it doesn't seem like there's any way the story could end without that coming back into play at some point.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

i finally got fed up with the english volume release pace and caught up. wow! holy poo poo!

im interested in the chekov's shard that phos handed to the new king of the sea. it doesn't seem like there's any way the story could end without that coming back into play at some point.

There are probably more than enough assorted Phos-parts lying about in various parts of this setting to construct a second Phos.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bort losing her hair is probably the single greatest tragedy of this entire manga

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
*kicks Phos's shattered body aside without looking down*

BORT NO

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
It would have been great if Bort had taken a good long look at one of their arms and went "I think... there's a way to keep my hair" and justified it as more tactically advantageous, and also muttered something about jellyfish.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think anyone is eager to emulate phos in any conceivable way

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
ahem, Phos is everyone's favourite gem (I hope) and an inspiration to us all, I quote the leaked speech from the next chapter

"Now that Adamant collusion, after one week of intense study, has proven to be a total hoax on my fellow gems, Prince Aechmea and their lapdog, the Fake Antarc Cairngorm, are taking out the old Crazy Phos playbook and screaming mental stability and intelligence..... Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart. Crooked Aechmea also played these cards very hard and, as everyone knows, failed to fix Sensei. I went from VERY cute gem, to top fighter..... to Envoy to the Lunarians (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

edit:

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 4, 2018

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Adventures in gemstones and tears continue.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/469744/1

Yellow Diamond. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Archmea and Cairngorm are the worst and the best

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Interesting. The Lunarians are introducing gender to the gems. I wonder where that will lead.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
lol if that becomes a plot thing given the scanlators pigheaded refusal to use gender neutral pronouns

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Everyone is sad and depressed but at least there is a happy couple

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Agronox posted:

Interesting. The Lunarians are introducing gender to the gems. I wonder where that will lead.

The ultimate sin done by Lunarians: given them gender.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Turin Turambar posted:

The ultimate sin done by Lunarians: given them gender.

phos hollers and overturns the barbecue grill

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well those conditions are worse than I thought

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, Aechmea and Cairngorm are gross.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
More like Land of Phos's Endless Mental Torment.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
gently caress this straight moon

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There's such an obvious solution to this that I'm not sure why it's not being brought up. The admirabalis have finite lifespans. Nobody else in the genocide conversation does. Resurrecting the gems would just be delayed a generation.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
That would still involve stopping the ones that are currently alive from breeding and/or eating

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
honestly im just glad phos still remembers their friendship with the admiribalis enough to not immediately sacrifice them

Squidster posted:

There's such an obvious solution to this that I'm not sure why it's not being brought up. The admirabalis have finite lifespans. Nobody else in the genocide conversation does. Resurrecting the gems would just be delayed a generation.

it seemed to be implied by the scientist that the inclusions get passed down along generational lines, so even if they waited and harvested old shells as they died they wouldn't get all the material they need

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

That would still involve stopping the ones that are currently alive from breeding and/or eating

Venuz Patrol posted:

it seemed to be implied by the scientist that the inclusions get passed down along generational lines, so even if they waited and harvested old shells as they died they wouldn't get all the material they need

Anything related to breeding was just about some variations not having detachable shells. Having to kill them all is a lie, both in that there are still some that do have detachable shells and that you can just wait for the other ones to die naturally to extract the rest.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Pollyanna posted:

Man, Aechmea and Cairngorm are gross.

An eternal spirit being having the equivalent to a mid-life crisis and Cairn is a young being getting experimental with their identity.

And Ichikawa depicts it perfectly with ostentatious fashion, possibly a film???, sunglasses (should have been shutter shades) and and a moon jet ski thing.

Thanks, I hate/love it!

At the Beach of Beginnings or whatever it is called there are unalive half formed gems, and what bits and bobs that for Rutile repairs, could they be used to phase out the Gems from the Admirablis and replace with non sentient materials they were able to extract Phos from the "King" without killing her, but that was a very recent integration and likely a much different case

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 30, 2018

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Phos was in King's shell, not King's body, and the process involved breaking the shell apart. And we've demonstrated that at least some of the Admirablis cannot be removed from their shells without seriously injuring them.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
It would be interesting to get other gem opinions on snail genocide. Phos is the only one interaction with them as sentient and communicative beings. To the others they are just weird animals who apparently eat them.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://mangadex.org/chapter/505671/1

A wonderful festive update for Christmas!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't think of a worse present than another installment of gem fuckups

but hell, i love it anyway

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Going weaponless might kinda be meaningless from someone with ridiculously deadly shapeshifting arms

Y'know, just saying

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
200 IQ Amethyst thinking ahead