Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also aren't throws literally illegal in BJJ? That's why we do takedowns.

Slamming someone from guard is illegal. Judo throwing during standup isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mega Man gi

Also aren't throws literally illegal in BJJ? That's why we do takedowns.

Oh my god this is so depressing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spb posted:

Slamming someone from guard is illegal. Judo throwing during standup isn't

Ah, that's why I got confused.

Sorry, white belt poo poo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh my god this is so depressing

This is the biggest problem BJJ has imo.

A 4 month white belt who is my size and strong, and has learned quickly, was rolling with me yesterday. I truly knew he was getting into BJJ when instead of standing with me, he just sat down on his rear end.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do remember someone giving the advice earlier in the thread that instead of starting on your knees or rear end start on your feet and squat to meet your opponent and its what I do pretty much every time I roll. But yeah, even most of the higher belts start the roll on the ground.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My edgy BJJ opinion is that slams should be legal (at the very least for any ruleset that allows jumping guard) and incorporated into training as early as possible.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

My standup is soooo bad.

I mean I've been doing this for a year and so have improved my BJJ skills but my standup sucks rear end and I know its super important since it dictates everything on the ground (who is on top/bottom)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The guy in the vid who got a tibia and fibula fractured has a gofundme for his recovery if anyone wants to chip in.

https://www.gofundme.com/snapped-pick-me-up-while-i039m-down

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

My standup is soooo bad.

I mean I've been doing this for a year and so have improved my BJJ skills but my standup sucks rear end and I know its super important since it dictates everything on the ground (who is on top/bottom)

If your academy offers Judo or NoGi takedowns make that part of your schedule. Since I have I have noticed my standup game has improved.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm developing a file of judo techniques that I teach for exploiting BJJ standup habits. It's fun stuff. My favourite is forcing an open grip (left v right) fight, which just totally fucks people up if they've never trained it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean don't get me wrong I like the idea of eventually learning some throws. We have done underhooking drills from standup which I am surprisingly decent at.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Learning Takedowns makes sense if you want to do a little competition because you'd be able to own a lot of guys super stressed out by the fact they aren't rolling like they are used to and make a ton of mistakes. I'm talking as the guy that got owned a lot.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Learning any sequence of moves and being able to chain attacks is important. Dictating where the fight takes place is super important.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

question, is it legal to drop some sick Dan Severn suplexes

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

Learning any sequence of moves and being able to chain attacks is important. Dictating where the fight takes place is super important.

Good luck stopping me from just sitting down!!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I find a left grip right inside the armpit is effective at shutting down 98% off bjj takedown attempts, and sets up the koga-style ippon seoi when they try to figure out what to do about the grip.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nestharken posted:

My edgy BJJ opinion is that slams should be legal (at the very least for any ruleset that allows jumping guard) and incorporated into training as early as possible.

My BJJ opinion is that most of us are hobbiests and I already worry about overwrought Meatheads doing dumb poo poo without it being technically ok.

Jumping full guard should also be disallowed due to injury rate.

I will support that any time someone gets a solid lift the person being lifted should concede their position or take the fall with defensive ukemi in recognition that they could've just been hosed.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Xguard86 posted:

My BJJ opinion is that most of us are hobbiests and I already worry about overwrought Meatheads doing dumb poo poo without it being technically ok.

I will support that any time someone gets a solid lift the person being lifted should concede their position or take the fall with defensive ukemi in recognition that they could've just been hosed.

Give a point or two to the guy that lifted the other enough that he could slam him should be in the rules. As for Mel's question, Suplexes can be legal as long as they don't throw the other guy directly on the neck but are a risky move because refs can consider the throw a slam and DQ you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

I find a left grip right inside the armpit is effective at shutting down 98% off bjj takedown attempts, and sets up the koga-style ippon seoi when they try to figure out what to do about the grip.

Similar, but I teach people to fight for inside position and take morote or some kind of tsurikomi goshi variant. That switch ippon is for when someone takes inside position against you.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

question, is it legal to drop some sick Dan Severn suplexes

I think you can do the side-on suplex but not the one that goes straight back under IBJJF rules? They’ll disqualify you if the head hits the ground before the rest of the body. The IBJJF are losers though, and I am not an expert on their lovely rules

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My school does have a judo class on Thursdays after bjj that I will have to check out. I haven't gone yet because I tend to gas after bjj.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't compete under IBJJF rules but I used to suplex people all the time. The suplex and lateral drop are my 2 favorite takedowns followed by the blast double. We also have both wrestling and judo classes (though not on the public schedule) at my gym.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my instructor had a funny mini rant the other day about how he hates doing tournaments sometimes because he has to sit down and figure out whats allowed every time

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

Good luck stopping me from just sitting down!!

2 points for me if I touch you!

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We have done underhooking drills from standup which I am surprisingly decent at.

are you talking about pummeling?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

A blue belt jumped guard on me once. I'm a white belt and had never seen it before or practiced it at all. I was incredibly lucky he didn't snap my knees and I just sprawled forward and slammed him into the mat super hard and don't feel bad about it in the slightest.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

old.flv posted:

are you talking about pummeling?

Sort of

We didn't start in the clinch but instead at distance and battled for an underhook clinch and then broke again

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Even the laziest lifting program (an hour a week) seems to have greatly lowered my injury rate. I’ll bet that each hour of weights/yoga you do allows you to train at least three or four extra hours of grappling per week up to a certain point.

You've probably posted it somewhere int he last few pages, but what's your 1h per week program? I'm starting to think about lifting once per week. Something like bench-squat-dead 5/3/1?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Welp, add Tennis Elbow to my list of BJJ injuries.

Gonna tape my forearm and keep rolling though

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got this also but it went away after taking a week off

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just rest, you really don't want tendonitis to become chronic because you tried to train through it like an idiot.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

You've probably posted it somewhere int he last few pages, but what's your 1h per week program? I'm starting to think about lifting once per week. Something like bench-squat-dead 5/3/1?

I went the opposite way because I’ve got weights at home. 5/3/1 with no accessory work, four day split, one lift per day.

You could do bench/squat one week and dead/press the next week?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Resting golf and tennis elbows is the best option.

I have also used this theraband bar thing and the exercises listed to help calm flare ups in the past:

https://gist.github.com/mloskot/25f58cef86a8d937f42b1330d065a961

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just rest, you really don't want tendonitis to become chronic because you tried to train through it like an idiot.

Thanks for the tip

Not sure yet what's a work throughable injury and what's a resting injury

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thanks for the tip

Not sure yet what's a work throughable injury and what's a resting injury

Every injury is a resting injury. Overworked ligaments are injured because they're overworked -- continuing to work them is just going to make the problem worse. Something like a mild ankle sprain you might be able to go to class and just do groundwork drills with no sparring, but as a general rule, always just rest until the injury is healed.

I'd say a good half of the really serious training injuries I've seen happened because someone was training hurt.

e: cartilage damage is kind of its own thing. I have a torn labrum and some meniscus damage that I train with, which are problems that won't go away but aren't serious enough for me to get surgery. But I've done and continue to do PT to make sure the joints are stable, took time off and did rehab when the injuries first occurred, and when my knee or shoulder get sore I take time off of training until they feel better.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 29, 2018

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I literally tape my body together and train every drat day. soon I will die

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Every injury is a resting injury. Overworked ligaments are injured because they're overworked -- continuing to work them is just going to make the problem worse. Something like a mild ankle sprain you might be able to go to class and just do groundwork drills with no sparring, but as a general rule, always just rest until the injury is healed.

I'd say a good half of the really serious training injuries I've seen happened because someone was training hurt.

Yeah the worry for me is that something almost always hurts so if I rested everything every time I would barely ever be able to actually do it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah the worry for me is that something almost always hurts so if I rested everything every time I would barely ever be able to actually do it.

There's a difference between training sore and training injured. But the thing about tendinitis is that unlike, say, a bone bruise, it won't ever go away unless you rest it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

butros posted:

Resting golf and tennis elbows is the best option.

I have also used this theraband bar thing and the exercises listed to help calm flare ups in the past:

https://gist.github.com/mloskot/25f58cef86a8d937f42b1330d065a961

Therabands and deadlifts have done wonderings for my chronic tennis elbow. Also, not death gripping during rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a difference between training sore and training injured. But the thing about tendinitis is that unlike, say, a bone bruise, it won't ever go away unless you rest it.

good to know, I will let it heal then.

Neon Belly posted:

Therabands and deadlifts have done wonderings for my chronic tennis elbow. Also, not death gripping during rolls.

I bought one of those grip stress balls last week to help with grip anyways so I will probably just use that regularly once the injury is gone to condition it