Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Don't do it.

I bought the Dewalt 40v mower, and have a 1/4 acre, and the prior owners fertilized it pretty regularly, so it grows "nicely". Realistically, this means with my 17 amp hours of batteries, I need two sessions to do the whole lawn. It's functional, but annoying. The thick grass clearly takes more power. Maybe some day I'll get ahead, but that probably means mowing the whole thing twice a week, so really the same time invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alarbus posted:

Don't do it.

I bought the Dewalt 40v mower, and have a 1/4 acre, and the prior owners fertilized it pretty regularly, so it grows "nicely". Realistically, this means with my 17 amp hours of batteries, I need two sessions to do the whole lawn. It's functional, but annoying. The thick grass clearly takes more power. Maybe some day I'll get ahead, but that probably means mowing the whole thing twice a week, so really the same time invested.

What if you had extra batteries?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

On the electric lawnmower tip, I have an ancient Neuton that I've used for at least a decade. It's served me admirably, with almost no maintenance necessary other than sharpening the blades. The only flaw is that if I'm mowing an area where the grass is particularly thick, the motor will overheat and trigger the circuit breaker after about 30-45 minutes of mowing, and then I'm done until it cools down enough. I do want to upgrade to something bigger eventually but it's hard to justify buying a new one when the old one still works good enough.

In other tool news, I need to put some holes in a brick wall to mount bookcases to, so I got a $20 hammer drill from Harbor Freight. I'm sure it will eventually explode in my hands but it works great for now, much better than trying to drill into brick with a regular hand drill.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fakeaccount posted:

What if you had extra batteries?

It comes with a 6ah. I bought a 7.5ah, and bought the weed eater that came with a 4ah.

The 7.5ah was only a little less than the original mower/battery. The original package is advertised as doing about a quarter acre, which isn't particularly true. Needing a thousand dollars in batteries to mow the lawn is dumb.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I bought a greenworks 80v mower last year and it's been pretty good. Our lawn is not particularly large so I'm able to do the front, back and side of the house on one battery. The mower comes with two and with a charger that does active cooling which charges the battery in 15-20 minutues. Since you can mow for about 30 minutes or so on a single battery you could theoretically mow forever just charging and continually swapping the two batteries. In reality they would probably get hot enough eventually that they'd need some cooldown time. If the battery is too hot the charger won't charge it til it cools down some. I've never seen that happen to me with my light usage but I've seen videos of people reviewing the chainsaw where they stress test it and that was the case.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Selachian posted:

... so I got a $20 hammer drill from Harbor Freight...

Anything else aside that is just insanely cheap, it boggles the mind

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Selachian posted:

In other tool news, I need to put some holes in a brick wall to mount bookcases to, so I got a $20 hammer drill from Harbor Freight. I'm sure it will eventually explode in my hands but it works great for now, much better than trying to drill into brick with a regular hand drill.

This is the exact justification for why Harbor Freight exists, and you have my $4.99 axe.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Everyone has to get burned at least once if not a few times from harbor freight. Yes, that stove is hot and it hurts

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They seem to do fine on some stuff (pallet jacks, chain falls, scaffolding etc.) but I don’t trust anything of theirs with an electric motor to last more than a week or to do its job very well while it lasts.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You wanna get something stupid at harbor freight? Buy the yellow bee rc plane that thing is awesome until you try to land it. I've bought 4 :D

I have almost a working plane out of them lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'd go HF for one-off tools, storage, and accessories. That's about it. Nothing that I rely on for precision, safety, or durability.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They seem to do fine on some stuff (pallet jacks, chain falls, scaffolding etc.) but I don’t trust anything of theirs with an electric motor to last more than a week or to do its job very well while it lasts.

I got their Chicago tile/brick saw that I'll fight you over, and for chump change compared to American brands. You know how water kills motors, of course? A tile saw only lives if it has water. I redid my kitchen counters in granite tile and that job alone paid for it. I CUT PERFECT MITERS IN 1/2" GRANITE WITH THAT SONOFABITCH!

edit- actually, bevels

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mr. Mambold posted:

I got their Chicago tile/brick saw that I'll fight you over, and for chump change compared to American brands. You know how water kills motors, of course? A tile saw only lives if it has water. I redid my kitchen counters in granite tile and that job alone paid for it. I CUT PERFECT MITERS IN 1/2" GRANITE WITH THAT SONOFABITCH!

edit- actually, bevels

Same here. My FiL bought one, swapped the junk blade it came with for a decent one, and has done at least a dozen kitchen/shower remodels with it. He lent it to me to do the tile in my house, and it did a really nice job. No complaints whatsoever.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sharkytm posted:

Same here. My FiL bought one, swapped the junk blade it came with for a decent one, and has done at least a dozen kitchen/shower remodels with it. He lent it to me to do the tile in my house, and it did a really nice job. No complaints whatsoever.

Pro dad. I don't think mine had even a junk blade.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever been more afraid than thinking about the idea of using harbor freight scaffolding.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I picked up a scrap 3 HP 3 phase motor from work for $10. It's only scrap in the sense that we eliminated the machine it was on. I bought a single phase drive, and replaced the 1950s GE motor on my air compressor. Got it all setup to run 50Hz (I didn't want to go wide open), and ordered a new sheave to go on it. Hooked it up and got it running today. Unfortunately, the solenoid valve that I was using to open the valve on the bottom of the tank to drain it daily failed, and was bleeding air non-stop. I just put a plug in it, I'll have to go get a ball valve this week to replace it. It was nice having an automated valve. :( The good news is that running the drive/motor only pulls 4.4 amps. It's going to be much more efficient than the old motor.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

edit- actually, bevels

post pics lets see these

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

post pics lets see these

Dammit, you force me to take a cloth and clean the gunk from that corner. Yeah, those poo poo windows need replacing. Nice thing about using 1/2" granite tile over solid, you can run it right up the backsplash too. That's what I don't like about solid granite tops, but that's just me.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr. Mambold posted:

Dammit, you force me to take a cloth and clean the gunk from that corner. Yeah, those poo poo windows need replacing. Nice thing about using 1/2" granite tile over solid, you can run it right up the backsplash too. That's what I don't like about solid granite tops, but that's just me.

this is probably the best thing Harbor Freight has ever made

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have 3 of their grinders. One of them is a few years old at this point and they all still work great. Here's the trick:

Open the box, and then disassemble the thing. Don't even plug it in to try it out first. Remove the recycled fryer fat they put in there for "grease", clean the tool out well, including the leftover metal shavings from manufacture. Put in real grease, reassemble, and enjoy your $15 grinder.

Their Predator series Honda knock-off small engines are pretty good as well.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Many of HF's hand tools are excellent as well. They have some new 'PRO' lines, like Doyle pliers, which easily give Knipex or Channellock a run for their money (at < 1/4 the price.) Not to mention the lifetime warranty, where you can just walk out with a replacement tool without having to wait/pay for shipping the tool elsewhere.

I wouldn't touch their lithium battery tools -- because they don't seem very price competitive with Yellow/Red -- but I've had pretty good luck with their plug-in tools. The best case is to be able to use it heavily in the 90 day warranty period to see if it dies of crib death.

Plenty of guys go out and spend a small fortune on name-brand tools they will hardly ever use just to have bragging rights. It's antithetical to this thread, but $200 for the basic hand tools at HF will be more than sufficient for 99% of uses.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I have a Harbor Freight angle grinder that's pushing 10 years old, and it still works. Granted, it probably has ~15 hours of run time in those 10 years, so buying something nicer would have been a waste.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

I have 3 of their grinders. One of them is a few years old at this point and they all still work great. Here's the trick:

Open the box, and then disassemble the thing. Don't even plug it in to try it out first. Remove the recycled fryer fat they put in there for "grease", clean the tool out well, including the leftover metal shavings from manufacture. Put in real grease, reassemble, and enjoy your $15 grinder.

Their Predator series Honda knock-off small engines are pretty good as well.

Ding ding ding. That's exactly what I did with the red 4" or 4.5" grinder I got. I remember seeing that advice before I bought it, possibly even from you. That poo poo looked like earwax. I've beaten the hell out of it since then and it hasn't let the smoke out yet.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

That turned out not too bad I'm glad you're happy with it. Grout may have gotten a little overwashed which happens. I'm really impressed that saw was able to cut reasonably true for any amount of cuts, granite cuts nice though. You can run any width tile on the wall leading up to your counter and back splash you just... adjust your overhang and cuts :D

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I have a Harbor Freight angle grinder that's pushing 10 years old, and it still works. Granted, it probably has ~15 hours of run time in those 10 years, so buying something nicer would have been a waste.

I just looked one up and its loving $15 are you kidding me? hahaha gently caress I'm tempted but I'd put 15 hours on it in a month and I do NOT want to see how that thing would fail
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I just looked one up and its loving $15 are you kidding me? hahaha gently caress I'm tempted but I'd put 15 hours on it in a month and I do NOT want to see how that thing would fail
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

If you sign up for their email list and watch the coupons, you can often get it for even cheaper than that. It's $9.99 with a coupon right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If you sign up for their email list and watch the coupons, you can often get it for even cheaper than that. It's $9.99 with a coupon right now.

wild. I'm 0-for at harbor freight but here I go again! Usually discs just break at the center and free spin but we'll see what other more interesting ways we can break a grinder

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I should amend my previous statement-I own two things with motors from Harbor Freight and they’re aren’t terrible and haven’t died yet. Their dust collector is actually pretty good but flimsy, and I have a buffing wheel that spins well enough.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been using their dust collector too. It's kind of a pain to move around. I should probably just run some permanently-installed ducting instead of trying to haul that stupid little cart next to whatever tool I'm using at the moment.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wild. I'm 0-for at harbor freight but here I go again! Usually discs just break at the center and free spin but we'll see what other more interesting ways we can break a grinder

Tip - don't use the HF discs. Spend a little money on poo poo that wasn't manufactured on top of a haunted asbestos mine.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Oh I most definitely won't I barely want to use their tools its more of a curiosity thing

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have that same grinder that I use all the time for cutting dumb poo poo.
I got one of the "diamond" impregnated cutting wheels I put on it when I first got it and it's cut through everything. Steel, plastic, aluminum, corian, granite counter tops.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That turned out not too bad I'm glad you're happy with it. Grout may have gotten a little overwashed which happens. I'm really impressed that saw was able to cut reasonably true for any amount of cuts, granite cuts nice though. You can run any width tile on the wall leading up to your counter and back splash you just... adjust your overhang and cuts :D

Iv'e never seen a full piece granite counter with ceramic tile backsplash that didn't look cheesy to me but that's just me.
And I'm ok with the grout. It's epoxy based iirc. Those big tiles do want to raise up a fraction in the 4 corner, and just a bch difference makes sliding a coffee cup across a joint clatter, but I was pretty well onto their shenanigans.
The fact that it does plunge cuts like a miter saw so I could cut out for electrical plugs sold me. Pretty simple machinery really, there's no goddamned good reason why domestic makers should charge a workin guy a grand for one of these for since ever.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I got a target brand commercial tile saw off Craigslist for $100. The thing weighs about 100 lbs, but it's never failed me. The water pump died on me, so I got one of those water balloon filling devices that hooks up to a garden hose. Now the pan overflows every time I use the saw, but I saved $30.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The Gardenator posted:

I got a target brand commercial tile saw off Craigslist for $100. The thing weighs about 100 lbs, but it's never failed me. The water pump died on me, so I got one of those water balloon filling devices that hooks up to a garden hose. Now the pan overflows every time I use the saw, but I saved $30.

haha nice. "Hold on I can definitely cut that tile for you just let me set up my rune goldberg saw. Ok to start it you just throw the ball for my dog.."

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I need to sand down a fitted wardrobe so I can repaint it. I’ve done the same on another wardrobe using a combination of random orbital and detail sanders and both of them were cheap tools that died in the process.

So I want a new detail sander preferably as there will be some tight corners I need to get into. I’ve tot a Makita 18v drill so I’d like another tool that’ll share those betteries. Is it worth getting one of the Makita oscillating multitools over a dedicated detail sander or is it beat to get a single job tool? I know I’m going to have to do some cuts in wood and will need a plunge capable saw anyway so might be best to kill two birds with one stone?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I don't think I would personally opt for a battery powered sander. Oscillating tool definitely, but RO I would THINK would burn batteries and be a lot heavier.

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read your post.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m about to plumb my shop with air. Should I be concerned about hose/fittings material? I plan on doing two supplies: one clean, and one filtered/oiled. Wondering if I should use a particular hose material, and it looks like I can get fittings/disconnects in brass, steel, or anodized aluminum. Not sure if it matters what I use and why.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

I’m about to plumb my shop with air. Should I be concerned about hose/fittings material? I plan on doing two supplies: one clean, and one filtered/oiled. Wondering if I should use a particular hose material, and it looks like I can get fittings/disconnects in brass, steel, or anodized aluminum. Not sure if it matters what I use and why.
This is a great guide by a good company that isn’t trying to sell pipe. https://www.quincycompressor.com/all-about-compressed-air-piping-systems/

I just did a new line in my shop with this stuff https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FKYRTU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_yZdIBb9HAMA46 It’s HDPE (same stuff as PEX water pipe) with a thin layer of aluminum sandwiched in between to give it some rigidity. I did Teflon tape and pipe dope on all the threads and have no leaks. It’s pretty easy to work with too-I ran all three drops in an afternoon by myself, and with all the fittings it isn’t a bad price for a permanent install.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On a semi-related note, any advice for running dust collection in my shop? I already have the DC, I just don't want to have to wheel it around every time I want to use a different tool. I assume it's pretty much just "buy a bunch of 4" hose, run it wherever while trying to avoid turns/kinks as much as possible", but there could easily be subtleties that I should be paying attention to and don't know about. A recommended reading list or video or something would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Grizzly has good documentation on setting up dust collection, although I forget where to find it...maybe grab a manual for one of their DCs, might be in there.

e: page 25 http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0548zp_m.pdf

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 30, 2018