Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

ok next question -

I'm in Southern Manitoba, so a shorter growing season with hottish dryish summers and long cool autumns. Gonna do garlic for the first time, beginning with a fall planting, working from cloves.

1) Any suggestions for when I should plant?
2) My yard has a pretty wide range of shade/sun, wet/dry, including an Oak tree hanging over one edge of the garden. Where should I go with my garlic?
3) Any suggestions for getting/choosing the garlic that will go into the dirt? I've heard that planting bland grocery store cloves will produce garlic of "gently caress you" intensity, which is what I want. Would there be any benefit for buying higher quality cloves, or should I just get a bag of whatever and put them in dirt?
4) Any companion planting thoughts? I'm already starting to think through next spring's garden which is going to contain zuchini, beans, peas, carrots, radishes, beets, chard, tomatoes, and probably some kale. I have a big rhubarb patch, too.

I posted in the wrong thread earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Today I learned cucamelons make great big tubers and they can be overwintered like dahlias.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

CommonShore posted:

3) Any suggestions for getting/choosing the garlic that will go into the dirt? I've heard that planting bland grocery store cloves will produce garlic of "gently caress you" intensity, which is what I want. Would there be any benefit for buying higher quality cloves, or should I just get a bag of whatever and put them in dirt?

I'm a typical West Coast chauvanist so my reaction to overwintering anything in Manitoba is :stare:. Neither informed nor helpful I'm sure.

Out here the Doukhobors and old world hippies have developed a lot of really tasty varieties of garlic that do well under local conditions. These varieties don't appear in the corporate garden centres but they do show up in the mom and pop operations. The local Buckerfields is a really good source. I don't know if Buckerfields is a Manitoba thing, if not I'm pretty certain you have even better farm stores back there. Local garden clubs and farmer's markets could point you to suppliers too.

A 4' x 5' raised bed produces a year's worth of garlic for my wife and I. We're the type who start by frying up some garlic and onions, then deciding what to make for dinner. There's enough space to experiment with at least a half dozen different types of garlic. Now we know that we like mild Elephant garlic in salads, Duganski for a dish that needs a fiery bite, and Gabriola Gourmet happy hippy garlic for everything else. Gabriola Gourmet is a bit fussy though and needs more nitrogen in the soil to do well.

But I'm rambling: imo, yes, locally bred varieties are worth it. If you like a commercial variety though go ahead and plant it, they don't take up a lot of space so you can afford to experiment. Be careful though. Judging by some of my friends' obsessions growing garlic can be a bit of a rabbit hole.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm a typical West Coast chauvanist so my reaction to overwintering anything in Manitoba is :stare:. Neither informed nor helpful I'm sure.

Out here the Doukhobors and old world hippies have developed a lot of really tasty varieties of garlic that do well under local conditions. These varieties don't appear in the corporate garden centres but they do show up in the mom and pop operations. The local Buckerfields is a really good source. I don't know if Buckerfields is a Manitoba thing, if not I'm pretty certain you have even better farm stores back there. Local garden clubs and farmer's markets could point you to suppliers too.

A 4' x 5' raised bed produces a year's worth of garlic for my wife and I. We're the type who start by frying up some garlic and onions, then deciding what to make for dinner. There's enough space to experiment with at least a half dozen different types of garlic. Now we know that we like mild Elephant garlic in salads, Duganski for a dish that needs a fiery bite, and Gabriola Gourmet happy hippy garlic for everything else. Gabriola Gourmet is a bit fussy though and needs more nitrogen in the soil to do well.

But I'm rambling: imo, yes, locally bred varieties are worth it. If you like a commercial variety though go ahead and plant it, they don't take up a lot of space so you can afford to experiment. Be careful though. Judging by some of my friends' obsessions growing garlic can be a bit of a rabbit hole.

Cool and thanks! I'll look into local varieties.

And yes, poo poo does overwinter here. I've had all sorts of stuff overwinter (spinach!) - it turns out that having three feet of snow on top of the soil is actually good for the plants.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
This is the first year I've grown chili peppers in a greenhouse and its pretty night and day compared to my plants in pots and my plants in beds outside. Each plant in the greenhouse has ~100 chilis on it. I have so many to experiment with this year! I wish a tried growing a habanero in the greenhouse because the plant I have outdoors is full of meannnn looking green peppers. I'm also tempted to freeze my tomatoes or something because I have way too many of them and the rest of the peppers I want to make salsa with aren't ready :/

If anyone has experience dehydrating these I'd love any tips you have

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I really need to just bite the bullet and clear some land for a nice greenhouse. Those are some pretty maters and peppers. My woods are just growing loving tree worms and poison ivy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Thanks! I'm thinking of doubling the greenhouse for next year, and also ways to better winterize this one.

One of the chili plants

Some of the basil from seed did really well inside, I took a lot of it through the season

The italian thunderbolt peppers are looking nice as well, these are about 8 inches long

Habanero, this thing would have been WILD inside. 60+ peppers easy

I love how crappy this looks until you look under the leaves..

!!

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Seeds from Baker Creek are gonna show up Thursday. Anyone know if winter squash in a hoop house would make it through a 7b winter? I have two types coming in the mail, plus another one I really like, and I was thinking of planting two of each on rebar mesh in a hoophouse I'll be making in a month or two.

Carrots/parsnips/beets/turnips in the hoop house or would the roots overwinter just fine?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thanks! I'm thinking of doubling the greenhouse for next year, and also ways to better winterize this one.

god drat im jealous

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Anyone have a good resource for moving plants indoors for the fall to extend their lifespan? I have some hot peppers that are not particularly happy with it no longer being 85+ and super sunny and I want to get at least the last 45-60 peppers from the plants. They're in dirt in my raised bed, but a hydroponic solution isn't going to work. I'm planning on using grow lamps with them on for at least 10 hours a day, but I'm not sure if it's best to just put them in large pots or if I'd be better served by building a plastic lined raised bed to keep them elevated from the floor in my basement which will probably level off at about 60F in a couple weeks. There won't be any heat sources down there until the boiler starts running regularly in a month or two.

Then if large pots are a good solution, how big do they need to be? 2' diameter or will smaller work? I have plenty of compost/soil hanging around and will have more frequently, so that's not really a concern.

Is there any other solutions I should be considering too? I've not done this before and just left them to the elements.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

This is the first year I've grown chili peppers in a greenhouse and its pretty night and day compared to my plants in pots and my plants in beds outside. Each plant in the greenhouse has ~100 chilis on it. I have so many to experiment with this year! I wish a tried growing a habanero in the greenhouse because the plant I have outdoors is full of meannnn looking green peppers. I'm also tempted to freeze my tomatoes or something because I have way too many of them and the rest of the peppers I want to make salsa with aren't ready :/

If anyone has experience dehydrating these I'd love any tips you have

Those are gorgeous looking chilies. I got several pounds of peppers just like those from the farmers market, and I dehydrated half of them in a food dehydrator---the temperature and humidity of my home is too variable for me to confidently air dry peppers. When using a dehydrator for the long peppers, I found that cutting off the tip of the pepper (as well as the stem) helped them dry more quickly, especially for the especially wrinkly ones. Can't cut off too much, though, or else seeds will pour out when they're handled.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
We had a couple weeks of hot, mostly dry weather, which worked out pretty well--my thai basil plants (which I pruned down to 5% of the original size after they were infected with downy mildew) bounced back pretty well--they are almost back to the original size, with no sign of downy mildew. My pepper plants all grew taller once again in the weather, even the cowhorn peppers that I had given up on--after a couple months of inactivity, they doubled in height in a week.

My cucumbers, though, are facing new troubles. While they're still being attacked by beetles, I have a bigger problem: ladies night. All of my cucumber vines suddenly grew a ton of female flowers, but there are only a couple male flowers -I think the rest died last week in the hot sun. Either the female flowers are more heat resistant, or they just grew a couple days later and missed the heat wave. Still, I'm amazed that all my vines started flowering simultaneously. I'm gonna try to find a neighbor growing cucumbers tomorrow and get some male flowers from them to hand pollinate.

Anyone know if pollen can survive refrigerator temperatures, or will I need to get new male flowers every morning?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/jizzwitch/status/1038590635983290368
Everyone should always be posting their hauls in my opinion I want to see more veggies and herbs

Slanderer posted:

Those are gorgeous looking chilies. I got several pounds of peppers just like those from the farmers market, and I dehydrated half of them in a food dehydrator---the temperature and humidity of my home is too variable for me to confidently air dry peppers. When using a dehydrator for the long peppers, I found that cutting off the tip of the pepper (as well as the stem) helped them dry more quickly, especially for the especially wrinkly ones. Can't cut off too much, though, or else seeds will pour out when they're handled.

Thanks for the reply I'm totally doing this instead of hanging them in my house in the exact situation you described

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

If you cut off all the green of the stem they will dry almost automagically, especially if you throw them in a dehydrator. Keep it in mind when you're harvesting, too. All my fancy peppers I try to clip instead of picking and they last fresh a lot, lot longer.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

So you mean you clip closer to the plant, leaving as much stem as you can on the pepper and it keeps longer? That is great to know. Share the fancy pepper pics!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

So you mean you clip closer to the plant, leaving as much stem as you can on the pepper and it keeps longer? That is great to know. Share the fancy pepper pics!

I read it the other way i.e. clip the pepper itself and leave the green on the plant.

Which way is right?!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Clip the stem as close to the plant as you can, the more green you leave on top of the pepper the longer it stays fresh in my experience.

If you want to dry the peppers, cut the stem off at the crown of the pepper and it will dry easy peasy in a sunny windowsill. With the big yield like you've got I wouldn't try drying it in the sun but it will still accelerate the process.

Edit: Nothing fancy left out there right now, just some habs, thai burapa, and some more of those cayennes I talked about that are stupid hot. We're about to get a poo poo load of rain and cool weather in the next few weeks so I'm not really keeping fingers crossed for any of my nightshade plants left in the garden.

mischief fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 10, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My idiot dog decided squash seeds are delicious and ripped open the seed packet of the Hokkaido squash, ate all the seeds, and was happily eating the paper packet when I caught him.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Just got back from a trip to Savannah, had fried green tomatoes for the first time. Figured out what to do with the abundance of still green tomatoes in my yard!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just before first frost hits here I always pick all my green tomatoes and make green tomato salsa. https://www.freshpreserving.com/green-tomato-salsa-verde---ball-fresh-preserving-br1033.html

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hmm, maybe that's what I'll need to do before the hurricane hits...

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Crakkerjakk posted:

Seeds from Baker Creek are gonna show up Thursday. Anyone know if winter squash in a hoop house would make it through a 7b winter? I have two types coming in the mail, plus another one I really like, and I was thinking of planting two of each on rebar mesh in a hoophouse I'll be making in a month or two.

Carrots/parsnips/beets/turnips in the hoop house or would the roots overwinter just fine?

Both winter and summer squash are grown in summer. Winter just has thicker skin and may be stored through winter. I really doubt either would grow through a 7b winter. It might survive, but it won't really do anything productive. I'd recommend saving the seed until next spring.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Magicaljesus posted:

Both winter and summer squash are grown in summer. Winter just has thicker skin and may be stored through winter. I really doubt either would grow through a 7b winter. It might survive, but it won't really do anything productive. I'd recommend saving the seed until next spring.

Alright. Thanks!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Should I unstake my plants before Florence hits, or leave them?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Unstake if you're worried the stakes might pull out and break a window with enough wind, otherwise leave them in imo.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

So, I knew this already, but you really should pipe all of a grey water system before you test it to see if it leaks. Sure, you have the valves turned so that the water will only go out the piped sides, but sometimes you're an idiot and actually have the valves (both of them) turned the opposite of which way you think you have them and spray water all over your garage.

TLDR: Good thing i'm pretty.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Just out of curiosity, are you doing anything special with your greywater like cleaning/filtering it for a garden or building a carwash? :laugh:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Shame Boner posted:

Just out of curiosity, are you doing anything special with your greywater like cleaning/filtering it for a garden or building a carwash? :laugh:

Running it to upside down 3.5 gallon bucket mulch shields just uphill of fruit trees in my front yard. Just my washing machine so far, so no cleaning or filtration since it's relatively clean. Diverter valve allows me to put it into the normal sewer system if I need to run a bleach load or have grease/oil that I'm trying to wash off or something.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 13, 2018

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Everyone should always be posting their hauls in my opinion I want to see more veggies and herbs

Turned all of those into 3 gallons of pizza sauce.
Did 4 plants this year, that haul is mostly Amish Paste and San Marzano with a few Better Boys too. The fourth plant, a Purple Cherokee, seemed to be the ones bugs preferred and has had less yield than the rest.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

snyprmag posted:

Turned all of those into 3 gallons of pizza sauce.
Did 4 plants this year, that haul is mostly Amish Paste and San Marzano with a few Better Boys too. The fourth plant, a Purple Cherokee, seemed to be the ones bugs preferred and has had less yield than the rest.

dang nice! I'm still waiting on my peppers to really ripen to do salsas. I started pulling a few early until my old neighbor convinced me that they'll be fine in a little overcast/rain which is most definitely here where I live. Crossing my fingers. Are you keeping the sauce for yourself? Care to share your recipe :D That is so cool

Also found a bunch of oysters in the woods, not exactly in line with this thread but kind of a sexy haul for just walking out my backyard

I made a bunch of pizzas on my big green egg for some friends the other day, the oysters were spectacular lightly sauteed

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
ok so this year was a fuckin' disaster in the garden. a few reasons:
1) it got hot loving fast this year in TN. It's only our second year with a full garden bed and I was under watering for quite awhile, not realizing it.
2) I was on work trips a lot early in the growing season, so I wasn't able to pay as close attention as I'd like. Wife tried her best but she's more novice than I am.
3) to top it off, tomato blight.

We've been treating for the blight and it's hilarious to see these poor tomato plants that are sticks on the bottom trying to get bushy on top like trees. They're trying! We might even get one or two decent tomatoes.

So the real reason I'm here: any suggesting for treating the soil for blight this fall? I've done some preliminary googling and I'm seeing that I should remove as much of the infected plants as possible, and till the soil real good to try and keep the spores from wintering. Anything else? For reference, it's a raised garden bed, started last summer. I tried soaker hose in it this year too... not sure if I'll do that again next year or not.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

dang nice! I'm still waiting on my peppers to really ripen to do salsas. I started pulling a few early until my old neighbor convinced me that they'll be fine in a little overcast/rain which is most definitely here where I live. Crossing my fingers. Are you keeping the sauce for yourself? Care to share your recipe :D That is so cool

Also found a bunch of oysters in the woods, not exactly in line with this thread but kind of a sexy haul for just walking out my backyard

I made a bunch of pizzas on my big green egg for some friends the other day, the oysters were spectacular lightly sauteed
I used this recipe for the sauce (was sweet enough to not need sugar). I packed up and froze almost all the sauce today (having a chest freezer rules):

The plan was the make enough to last till next year and do it again; but that's a lot of sauce and I'll probably give some away.
Those oyster mushrooms look delicious.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Starting to clean up the garden and putting down seeds for fall and winter. There are still a few tomato stragglers ripening but eggplant and okra are both now producing better and more regularly than they had been through the summer. Around mid-summer I also put down a couple cucamelon seeds to see what would happen that late and that is also now starting to take off.

Now these winged beans are doing well. I bought the seeds in Japan and planted them pretty late but it turns out my timing couldn't have been better.

I've started cutting down most of my molokhia. This always does well for me and this year I grew it from seed I saved. I usually eat the seed pods when they are young so don't end up with a lot of ones mature enough for seeds but I've been making a point recently to keep at least a handful.

And a couple of these Dark Galaxy tomatoes now finally ripening. I think I mentioned before that these barely produced at all for me. As cool looking as they are and good as they taste I probably won't grow them again. Between the three plants I grew I got only maybe five tomatoes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've got some choi sum plants on my balcony right now (Eastern facing). They're doing acceptably well even though they only get half a day's worth of sun. They've been drooping in the afternoon sun even though it's not hot out, I probably need to water them deeper.

However, some nearby pea plants that I put in around the same time are developing powdery mildew. Can that transfer to my brassica? The choi sums are doing way better than the peas so if it can transfer I'm tempted to just destroy the pea plants. They kind of fell over after a weekend of wind so they may not do so well anyway.

Also, is there much I can do against cabbage worms? Every few weeks there's new eggs on my choi sums. After an initial infestation of worms that almost killed them I've been religiously removing the eggs but it's a bit annoying. That seems to be effectively protecting the plants at least.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So any help for a total amateur gardener? We've been container growing some tomatoes in Texas. Most of the summer has been 100+ degrees F, but we've tried to water them two or three times a day since the soil was almost always dry.

But they've been looking pretty sickly, and I can't really identify what's wrong with them. The lower branches/leaves have pretty much all wilted/rotted off, and they get very top-heavy and droop over.

Any ideas on what it is, and if the plants can be saved or how it could be avoided in the future? Any help would be appreciated!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Eeyo posted:

Also, is there much I can do against cabbage worms? Every few weeks there's new eggs on my choi sums. After an initial infestation of worms that almost killed them I've been religiously removing the eggs but it's a bit annoying. That seems to be effectively protecting the plants at least.

See if you can find out when in the year the adult moths are flying in your area and keep row cover / Reemay cloth on the plants when the adults are out. Not my favourite because it obscures the plants and makes weeding more difficult but it does work. There's coarse-meshed bug fabric available now that's supposed to be easier to work with but I haven't tired it yet.

BTK spray is organic and more effective than hand picking if the worms start to get out of control.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Layout advice please!
The "fruit and veg" end of the garden looks like this currently (fence panel moved temporarily, it belongs at the back)

It's a very inefficient use of space and soil, those beds are raised about 18-20". I want a dedicated space for the fruit bushes I've currently got in pots - whitecurrent, tayberry and a couple of small raspberry varieties, I'll build frames for them to climb. The planters full of strawberries I want to spread around elsewhere, they're just in the beds because I harvested the potatoes already.

The dark bits are the beds, I'll do gravel between them. This layout give me 3-4 times as much bed space at the expense of having the bed at the back in shade (guess I'll pick plants to suit it?) and losing most of the height of the beds. Any big issues anyone can see with this layout? It'll also give me an opportunity to mix the three different soil types I've got currently.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Where's south?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Top right, this bit gets good sun early morning to mid afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think the neighbourhood cats have been digging up the onion bulbs, along with some shards of glass from some old windows that the previous owners helpfully buried (self-slicing onions!). I've popped the bulbs back into the ground in the hope that they'll recover, and this weekend will rig up some netting. In a couple of weeks I'm going to plant another dozen or so bulbs. Hopefully they will survive kittygeddon.