Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Brute Squad posted:

An as less-crappy, kinda-cool, chaser.

Part of the HVAC system, outlet side, going to the front room. Instead of running box duct under the flooring, there's just nailed copper running along two joists. I've never seen this before, but I guess it works.

Panning (usually sheet steel, not copper) is commonly used for return-air ducting, since it's cheap and doesn't need a perfect seal. Not the best idea for supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bad Munki posted:

My solution: open my own god drat private, invite-only, in-house hardware store:

(WIP)

Space for 200 bins if I ever fill it. Stole icons from McMaster-Carr for that professional touch. Need to grab a couple boxes of bins so I can sort out the carriage bolts and lag screws, so far I've just put up a subset of what I'm working on. There aren't parts in all the bins, but now I know at a glance whether I have a thing, and if I don't, I just buy a box instead of buying 10 loosies. Eventually, it'll fill.

I've started on something similar. Currently the free-standing rack of the red bins from Northern Tool, plus some nifty cubes of bins from a nut and bolt sales display I bought at a swap meet, all sitting on shelves. I'm so proud of myself for finally sorting out my literal bucket of metric hardware for my cars. The SAE stuff still needs to be gone through, but somehow I have less of that. Also need to sort the smaller hardware (<1/4").
When I rebuild the shelves, I'll probably build out a dedicated section for fasteners, including panels like you have on doors so nothing is behind anything else.
You collect a lot of hardware over 40-something years. Well, *I* do, anyway.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Legit one of the best thing I've ever bought:

Poke poo poo through the holes until it looks like it fits good :thumbsup:

I have something similar, which also has inside and outside tubing size "V"s in it. Definitely handy as gently caress.
Convenient for figuring out what drill size to use for a bolt through-hole as well.

StormDrain posted:

When I was a kid I’d always wonder why my dad knew exactly what wrench he needed. I’m not to that point yet but I’ve got enough accuracy to impress a casual observer.

I'm passable at it. Better some days than others.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Azza Bamboo posted:

That's what I mean, the company will say it is your responsibility, you'll know it's your responsibility, but you'll also go "eh, I've seen this crane lift heavier. Should work" rather than sit down with a calculator for a few minutes trying to remember something about turning moments.

The closest thing I can relate to is warehouse work. You're supposed to check the load and the balance but gently caress it just put the forklift in and if it falls over we'll deal with it. Who the hell has the time to go through all the bullshit you're taught at induction?

Fun story, I got to watch a contractor get thrown off the site at work for this last week. Apparently they didn't believe us when we told them safety violations were taken seriously, so running down a ladder facing the wrong way and sitting on a ceiling bulkhead instead of using the lift parked 30' away were not going to fly.

Brute Squad posted:

An as less-crappy, kinda-cool, chaser.

Part of the HVAC system, outlet side, going to the front room. Instead of running box duct under the flooring, there's just nailed copper running along two joists. I've never seen this before, but I guess it works.

Pretty common in old houses. My last place was built in 1905, and all the air returns were done that way.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://i.imgur.com/MmhSPux.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I dunno, turning your entire bathroom into a giant loofa is pretty extreme.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This isn't terrible enough. Show me this room several years of use later.

I want the fungus.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I recently learned that loofas are not from underwater sponges. They are from a vegetable or gourd or something. It looks like a cucumber until you peel it.

I found this shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoHwaXit5fU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

This isn't terrible enough. Show me this room several years of use later.

I want the fungus.

Jokes on you. That is the fungus.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

there wolf posted:

Jokes on you. That is the fungus.

Is it some kind of cordyceps? Is it in his brain? :ohdear:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

but how do :females: like it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That must be awesome. The very first time it's used.

Pity I have to move out & sell the place the next day.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Waterlogged carpet is like one of the grossest thing. Why would you want a whole shower of it.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I have something similar, which also has inside and outside tubing size "V"s in it. Definitely handy as gently caress.

I assume you are talking about "pitch". It is how threads are measured. It states the number of threads per inch, or spacing in Millimeters.

Example:
1/4-20 is a 1/4" diameter diameter screw, with 20 threads per linear inch.
8-32 is no.8 wire gauge with 32 threads per linear inch.

M8 X 1.5 is an 8mm diameter screw with a spacing between threads of 1.5mm

you can count the threads in a pinch, but I use something like this at home:

Corrected, because I am an idiot.

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 2, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Waterlogged carpet is like one of the grossest thing. Why would you want a whole shower of it.

:thejoke:

I'd argue that wet bread is worse.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

schmug posted:

I assume you are talking about "pitch". It is how threads are measured. It states the number of threads per inch, or Millimeter.

Example:
M8 X 1.5 is an 8mm diameter screw with 1.5 threads per linear Millimeter

This poo poo from fastenal is good too.

On the other side, you can check thread pitches, bitches.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/63151

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh, man, do you guys live in a totally different spectrum of "gross" than I do. Waterlogged carpet is, like, a two or three out of ten.

Edit: For context, I would rank at approximately eight on that scale (:nms: if you are queasy) a chief complaint of "foreign body in rectum" being in reality maggots streaming between a patient's anus and a large ulceration on his buttock.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 2, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is it really that bad if its outdoor carpet?

The anwser is probably still yes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

:thejoke:

I'd argue that wet bread is worse.

:sees uncooked french toast and faints:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
French toast isn't wet, it's wrapped in delicious eggs. I'm talking like a loaf of white bread that somebody dumps a glass of water in (condensation from frozen or etc).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

schmug posted:

I assume you are talking about "pitch". It is how threads are measured. It states the number of threads per inch, or Millimeter.

Example:
M8 X 1.5 is an 8mm diameter screw with 1.5 threads per linear Millimeter

minor nitpick, metric thread pitch specifies the distance between threads. M8x1.5 has threads that are spaced 1.5mm apart

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wesleywillis posted:

Is it really that bad if its outdoor carpet?

The anwser is probably still yes.

It would have to be outdoor carpet laid on some sort of mesh with a blower to blow air between the mesh and the real floors and walls, to help it dry faster. And even then you'd never get the soap scum. You also wouldn't see the soap scum, so maybe it wouldn't bother you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

shame on an IGA posted:

minor nitpick, metric thread pitch specifies the distance between threads. M8x1.5 has threads that are spaced 1.5mm apart

I recently had to deal with getting measurements for a unit manufactured in Sweden and realizing that metric thread pitch is calculated in a completely different manner than standard measurements was one of those things where i had to look at the wiki for multiple minutes to suss out wtf was going on.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can't make Pudina tal-Ħobż without soaking a few loaves of bread in water.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can't fool me. Those aren't real letters.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

but how do :females: like it

They think it's not right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbqgfPYhn6Q&t=8s

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 2, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

shame on an IGA posted:

I recently had to deal with getting measurements for a unit manufactured in Sweden and realizing that metric thread pitch is calculated in a completely different manner than standard measurements was one of those things where i had to look at the wiki for multiple minutes to suss out wtf was going on.

best part is I calculate these all the time to get thread spacing per revolution and I still wrote it up wrong.

1/20=.05" space per rev, and 8.5/25.4=.059" spacing per rev. I just do it so much I never really think about it anymore.

Sorry for the confusion everyone!

I corrected the OP. Thanks!

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 2, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm talking like a loaf of white bread that somebody dumps a glass of water in (condensation from frozen or etc).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0TYqgQUxQ

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Found a hell of an ugly McMansion on accident yesterday

Apparently the people who built it owned some healthcare company that went bellyup halfway through; Google Earth says it was in 2011 sometime. When you look in the windows, there's nothing but bare studs and floor. Realtor's page says it's $200k, with another $200k of work required to finish it.

Looks like the back porch has been worked on a little, maybe?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That house is so bad, looking at the first picture, I was going to accuse you of being sucked in by a bad render.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So this thread talks so much about lovely house design, so what are some examples of good house design and architecture in modern houses? I realize that builders in most neighborhoods are going to build pink brick cubes, but in the unlikely event that I ever get enough money to do a custom build, how does one avoid ending up on McMansion Hell?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My house is a literal cube with a slight roof pitch. Anything else is affront to my civilities.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cubes are in. https://www.yamatohome.co/works_concept/

You'll avoid terrible things just by staying under 2000 sqft. Good luck.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

the square cube law is that only squares buy cubes

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Just build a house that's stylistically similar to other houses in your neighborhood, and paint it a color that will annoy your neighbors.
Simple.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Choose a style and commit to it
Choose a style in keeping with the surroundings
Don't cheap out on materials
Don't allow the designer to dribble rooms everywhere at the expense of aesthetics
Don't add poo poo at the last minute

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do add an in-floor tub on the 1st floor

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have your roofline generated by a bethesda game engine, you can't go wrong.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So this thread talks so much about lovely house design, so what are some examples of good house design and architecture in modern houses? I realize that builders in most neighborhoods are going to build pink brick cubes, but in the unlikely event that I ever get enough money to do a custom build, how does one avoid ending up on McMansion Hell?

Basically what Jaguars! said. Pick a style, stick to it, embellish appropriately. Build within your means so you don't have to go for obvious fakes instead of the proper treatments. Vet your GC and architect's previous work and reputations, because the only way you're getting a quality build is if they both give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cakesmith handyman posted:

Have your roofline generated by a bethesda game engine, you can't go wrong.

The horrible jumble of angles roofs seem to be the result of designing a floorplan while completely ignoring how the exterior will look. It's a whole lot harder to gently caress up if you're going to be building a big rectangle.