Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

yep its a Thinkpad. wouldn't the intel solutions also be single chip though?

i'm not sure intel will sell you a chip tho

their website only advertises complete modules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

you can get the NUC with the radeon for like 1300 all in and it will play almost every video shame out there today at 1080p 60fps. but yeah i remember when "the most expensive" gaming card was 3-400 bucks and now somehow they cost 1000.

1300 for a desktop lol. crazy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PleasureKevin posted:

obviously nVidia is just going wild creating price tiers to motivate buying pricier cards. *80 series cards are not the top tier card anymore, Ti cards are. not new, but TI's are treated like *90's and *80's are mid-range from the start.

now *80's and *70's are "RTX". it's brilliant manipulation of consumers, but by the time (if ever) it becomes a much-used feature in games, AMD will have ray-tracing acceleration better and cheaper.

my least favourite part though is you have folks like AdoredTV who understand nVidias' deliberately sinister ways, but blame the average joe for not voting correctly with their dollar.

AdoredTV literally says "ok drat you're all too dumb, you get what you deserve." but they can't explore the underlying system of capitalism. why don't they consider for a moment that this system is bad for technology? they have at least two videos saying Intel and nVidia are "bad for technology", but they literally just accept it and move on. they even call it "good marketing" and chastise AMD for not playing ball.
so like as an average idiot joe myself,

what's the best current or, as much as is known, the upcoming bang for the buck card? i remember poo poo like visiontek geforce TI 4200 being incredible bang but i dont think deals like that exist anymore?

my 970 i think was pretty good bu tits showing its age, im not interested in 4k ultra everything, but i'd like to run 1080p 144hz on high settings in most games f possible and this usually struggles to keep over 90 at medium+ settings.

are amd cards still really bad or are they actually viable again? i remember like 2008-2016 ish or something they were pretty awful

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
my 970 dying too. it crashed a couple times the other day, and for some reason star craft 2 is hitching like fkin crazy now.............. fked up. n my i5 is very old. its time.. for new compuer partss. i think im goin 2 try ati... amd.. this tie.. first time since the dmn athlon 64 ownage zone...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I need a new card because my 980 TI is so heavy that it's bending downwards and it's eventually going to break or something.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

my 970 dying too. it crashed a couple times the other day, and for some reason star craft 2 is hitching like fkin crazy now.............. fked up. n my i5 is very old. its time.. for new compuer partss. i think im goin 2 try ati... amd.. this tie.. first time since the dmn athlon 64 ownage zone...

honestly let me know what you get and if you like it. i[ve been holding off buying a new card because buttcoin has hyperinflated them and it slike im not made of money and my mental 90s kid attitude is $300 is like the highest luxury-price tag that i'd be willing to spend, not like $900 lol

btu yeah my 970 is having some issues, one of the fans doesnt come on by default and i need to flick it to get it to start. also my monitor doesnt seem to receive signal all the time but that may be a monitor issue and not gpu

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Salt Fish posted:

I need a new card because my 980 TI is so heavy that it's bending downwards and it's eventually going to break or something.

i think my 970 has probably lsightly damaged the mobo slot and im afraid if i ever take it out and move it it'll get all glitchy and hosed up. it's not even that heavy but i propped it up with a wooden dall on one end but yeah it seems like there's poor cantilever force on them. i think next time i make a new computer i'll probably try to lay it on it's side or something because it really seems poorly supported.

i wonder if there's some straps i should have used to hold it up, idk but seems like a pretty bad flaw having it held up at the frame end and slot-force only.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Xaris posted:

honestly let me know what you get and if you like it. i[ve been holding off buying a new card because buttcoin has hyperinflated them and it slike im not made of money and my mental 90s kid attitude is $300 is like the highest luxury-price tag that i'd be willing to spend, not like $900 lol

btu yeah my 970 is having some issues, one of the fans doesnt come on by default and i need to flick it to get it to start. also my monitor doesnt seem to receive signal all the time but that may be a monitor issue and not gpu

because there's no new console gen in sight most games run flawlessly at 2k max settings on my 1060 6GB

honestly the 3-400 dollar cards are "high end" these days, the *80/ti series are for the crazies i.e the people who used to do SLI setups, etc.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

same especially the bit about the athalon own zone
gently caress I have no idea what to buy. i'm so old now.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

my 970 i think was pretty good bu tits showing its age, im not interested in 4k ultra everything, but i'd like to run 1080p 144hz on high settings in most games f possible and this usually struggles to keep over 90 at medium+ settings.

a 1070 isn't a whole hell of a lot faster than a 970

might as well get one of the new cards instead

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
get a second 970 and sli them bro

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i have a 1080 ti. the performance boost over a regular 1080 isnt that much unless ur gaming at 4k, in which case it’s very large for some reason

if vanilla 1080s start getting cheap, that will be a good option for 1080p gaming

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

WilWheaton posted:

get a second 970 and sli them bro

You think PCI lanes grow on trees? Huh?!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
is there anything cool to do with these fancy cards as a dev bad at art? i keep hearing about cuda stuff being good for machine learning (and cryptography but i dont really have that many secrets to encrypt)

maybe buying a massive graphics card for videogames will finally motivate me to get into kaggle

i also like that they have a bunch of displayport 1.4 connectors for 5k to 8k screens but im skeptical that windows can use them without making the fonts and everything else look like crap

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

poty posted:

is there anything cool to do with these fancy cards as a dev bad at art?

it takes zero cuda cores to draw birbs

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

lemme fire up the ol ticonderoga compute instance

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

poty posted:

is there anything cool to do with these fancy cards as a dev bad at art? i keep hearing about cuda stuff being good for machine learning (and cryptography but i dont really have that many secrets to encrypt)

maybe buying a massive graphics card for videogames will finally motivate me to get into kaggle

i also like that they have a bunch of displayport 1.4 connectors for 5k to 8k screens but im skeptical that windows can use them without making the fonts and everything else look like crap

windows will find a way to make your fonts look like crap no matter what

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i bought a 1080ti several months back from - the guy had two different brands in stock, one about 100 usd cheaper.

I asked why and he said "this one only has hdmi, no dvi or vga"

so i guess if I get forcibly time-warped back to the 1980's i'll have to buy a new video card so i can plug in my vga monitor.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my card doesnt even have hdmi, its just 4 dp ports

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pram posted:

my card doesnt even have hdmi, its just 4 dp ports

:hai:

dp is the only acceptable port

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I don’t like display port

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dp takes getting used to but they sell gauged gear to help

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cant u convert hdmi to dvi pretty directly

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got a1080 quite a while ago before the Bitcoin people blew the market up and I don't see a reason to upgrade

Didn't Nvidia dump a ton of inventory on all the oems

They should probably start fire sales on the 10 whatever line at some point

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

probably part of the reason the new cards are so expensive is so the 10 series can hold their prices and still be part of the lineup. a 1080 is still ridiculously good

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jenny Agutter posted:

probably part of the reason the new cards are so expensive is so the 10 series can hold their prices and still be part of the lineup. a 1080 is still ridiculously good

for me to poop on

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Meanwhile, the ‘real-time’ performance is generally achieved with a very small amount of rays (e.g. 1 or 2) per pixel, and a very large amount of denoising.

The specific implementation is ultimately in the hands of developers, and NVIDIA naturally has their raytracing development ecosystem, which we’ll go over in a later section. But because of the computational intensity, it simply isn’t possible to use real-time raytracing for the complete rendering workload. And higher resolutions, more complex scenes, and numerous graphical effects also compound the difficulty. So for performance reasons, developers will be utilizing raytracing in a deliberate and targeted manner for specific effects, such as global illumination, ambient occlusion, realistic shadows, reflections, and refractions. Likewise, raytracing may be limited to specific objects in a scene, and rasterization and z-buffering may replace primary ray casting while only secondary rays are raytraced. Thus, the goal of developers is to use raytracing for the most noticeable and realistic effects that rasterization cannot accomplish.

no legacy perf numbers either :itwaspoo:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i was playin a little blops this weekend so I might be getting one of these new cards; its an embarrassing waste of time but whatever, turn my monitor off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

love too denoise my rays

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how is this news hasnt this been explicitly the messaging from nvidia all along

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sniep posted:

how is this news hasnt this been explicitly the messaging from nvidia all along
but it's only doing 1-2 rays per pixel. how many pixels are there on a monitor? couple hundred?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

famous rays secret streak sauce

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

i was playin a little blops this weekend so I might be getting one of these new cards; its an embarrassing waste of time but whatever, turn my monitor off.

yeah the good shooter is also only for nvidia

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure I can house that many Rays.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lambert posted:

I'm not sure I can house that many Rays.

sounds like you cant hang with the dirtiest dudes in town

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no legacy perf numbers either :itwaspoo:

so this suggests a large future perf increase is still necessary to make bideo james photorealistic

looking forward to buying the nvidia geforce xtx 9080 ti max edition (rrp $2995) in 2025

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i considered building a gaming pc (even ordered the i7) with one of these rtx cards but i think ill save myself the trouble. apparently thunderbolt on macs will soon allow 4x 1.4 displayport streams

im hoping that upgrade makes it to the october event. then i can buy an imac with a sweet 5k display built in and not deal with the crappy windows software. i dont expect nvidia and apple to ever make up but im sure that whatever garbage amd card in there will be fine.

poty fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 20, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol, imagine willingly buying an Imac

Also, you were interested in building a kickass gaming machine and are now settling on a glorified laptop? Oh, for sure man.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way there seems to be little reason to buy a 2080 over a 1080, raytracing seems to be the differentiator, but buying into that sort of tech first-gen largely never pays off. 50/50 whether it is a dead-end implementation (possibly with another raytracing take with slightly incompatible primitives taking over) or whether the first title to make significant use of it (i.e. regularly feature it in gameplay rather than have one room with a shiny statue seated above a pool of water surrounded by a checkerboard floor) requires at least a 3080, or i guess 4080 or whatever is consistent with 980 -> 1080 -> 2080, to run acceptably

largely determined by the route next-gen consoles take either way, little point buying into any hardware that doesn't just do things the consoles can do, except faster and at higher resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

either way there seems to be little reason to buy a 2080 over a 1080

I'd buy a 1080ti but their prices haven't hosed budged yet, even though 2080 is supposed to ship today. Like why is that poo poo still 800+€ here, I thought the crypto demand died down already?

• Locked thread