Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spacetoaster posted:

Is there anyone doing that?

Also, as an old dad kids means anyone under 20. Mine are 10 and 13 and started bjj at 8, boxing at 10.

No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

spacetoaster posted:

cool

And just so we're clear, I'm a white belt who doesn't know how to use the terminology correctly.

"locking in" was meant to mean "having a close approximation of the actual move". Not that the kids would be close to hurting each other/completing a sub.

To clarify, kids should not be closely approximating actual submissions. Competition should be positional, maybe you let them start to begin attacking and stop it before they actually isolate a limb when they get older.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

To clarify, kids should not be closely approximating actual submissions. Competition should be positional, maybe you let them start to begin attacking and stop it before they actually isolate a limb when they get older.

What are you thinking is kid, and older? Age range, that is.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The way we slammed each other around in wrestling when I was a kid is probably why I don’t see or think or walk so great these days

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

The way we slammed each other around in wrestling when I was a kid is probably why I don’t see or think or walk so great these days

It's something I try and keep an eye on for my kids. In boxing, I only let them drill with pads/bag. I always kinda assumed bjj wasn't too terrible on their bodies/brains.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

What are you thinking is kid, and older? Age range, that is.

Even 16-17 feels young to really be doing subs in competition. Teenagers have poor judgement and impulse control.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Even 16-17 feels young to really be doing subs in competition. Teenagers have poor judgement and impulse control.

Hence the rank requirement in Judo. When we're thinking about promoting a kid to green, one of the things we ask is "Do we think this kid has the skills and maturity for that poo poo?"

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I once say Nicky Ryan kill a man

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think this goes much too far. Kids at this age are doing sports like wrestling, american football, ice hockey and more. Go ahead and restrict submissions (heel hooks maybe not, but blood chokes would be fine) but don't prevent them doing any subs at all.

I mean, you can officially compete as a purple belt at age 16.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pretty sure you can't be a purple belt at 16.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Pretty sure you can't be a purple belt at 16.

Why not?

There are teens at our gym that have been doing bjj since they were 4. They're pretty experienced by 16.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Why not?

There are teens at our gym that have been doing bjj since they were 4. They're pretty experienced by 16.

The way the kids belt system and IBJJF works. You can get your blue belt at 16.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

The way the kids belt system and IBJJF works. You can get your blue belt at 16.

For my edification: Is the IBJJF what everyone uses as the gold standard for how things are done?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well its one of the most referred to rule systems around the world for tournaments and the like so...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
It's completely unnecessary for kids to start BJJ super young. (This actually applies to most sports other than a few) In fact, John suggests starting with gymnastics as a base. This provides a ton of strength, flexibility, and body and spatial awareness. My kids have started with gymnastics and swimming as athletic bases for strength and cardio. With respect to competition, in my opinion, rules should be position and control focused with no real sub finishes until at least 12 or so and then subs with serious caution until 16.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I was thinking of giving my son a break after this next ibjjf tournament, but I may just have him only attend the regular class twice a week. I mentioned him taking a break and it really upset him because it's where he meets his friends after school every day.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spacetoaster posted:

I was thinking of giving my son a break after this next ibjjf tournament, but I may just have him only attend the regular class twice a week. I mentioned him taking a break and it really upset him because it's where he meets his friends after school every day.
Your son doesn't have to stop if he's enjoying it. So long as you're not a crazy sports parent forcing your kid into BJJ it is fine as long as they like it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I should say that I was referring to subs in competition as something I think should be restricted for minors. I've trained with a few high school wrestlers at my sambo club and they could do normal sparring, which was fine. I know that if I had a teenage child competing in a combat sport, I wouldn't want their well-being to be determined by a combination of their teenage judgement and their teenage opponent's restraint -- I would want the ref to be stopping things well before that.

Count Roland posted:

I think this goes much too far. Kids at this age are doing sports like wrestling, american football, ice hockey and more. Go ahead and restrict submissions (heel hooks maybe not, but blood chokes would be fine) but don't prevent them doing any subs at all.

I mean, you can officially compete as a purple belt at age 16.

Well, kids should absolutely not be competing in American football, ever, period. And the way middle and high school aged kids are expected to abuse their bodies for the sake or wrestling practice and competition is really hosed. However, wrestling matches are won by pin, not by going to the limit of destroying someone's joints and no further while you're hopped up on adrenaline.

spacetoaster posted:

Let your kid keep having fun with his friends, dude.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 4, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

It's completely unnecessary for kids to start BJJ super young. (This actually applies to most sports other than a few) In fact, John suggests starting with gymnastics as a base. This provides a ton of strength, flexibility, and body and spatial awareness. My kids have started with gymnastics and swimming as athletic bases for strength and cardio. With respect to competition, in my opinion, rules should be position and control focused with no real sub finishes until at least 12 or so and then subs with serious caution until 16.

Gymnastics are cool but that's another one that just shreds kids' bodies when they get serious about it. My sister was a fairly high-level gymnast and had back issues and multiple arthroscopic knee surgeries by the time she was 17, and the majority of the girls she trained with were in similar shape.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Didn’t John give Nicky his purple at, like, 15?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Extreme edge case obviously

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

Nicky iirc, trains multiple times a day with the most stacked gym you could possibly be in right now iirc. So this would be the most extreme edge case in the history of edge cases.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Kids should be doing the sports that give them the highest chance of college scholarships with the lowest level of a broken body, which leaves us with fencing, gymnastics, crew, and women's golf. Let them do bjj after college.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

Nicky met the IBJJF requirements because he was close to his 16th birthday and had been training for more than 2 years already. IBJJF age is not legal age. It is current year - birth year. So if your birthday is 12/31/2000 your actual age is 17 but your IBJJF age is 2018-2000=18. Minimum age for blue and purple is 16 and purple requires 2 years of training minimum. So you can theoretically start training at 14 in the kids belts and go right to purple.at 16 if you are very good.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I hope it didn’t sound like I was criticizing him or John — just thought it was interesting. Kid is real good

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

Nicky met the IBJJF requirements because he was close to his 16th birthday and had been training for more than 2 years already. IBJJF age is not legal age. It is current year - birth year. So if your birthday is 12/31/2000 your actual age is 17 but your IBJJF age is 2018-2000=18. Minimum age for blue and purple is 16 and purple requires 2 years of training minimum. So you can theoretically start training at 14 in the kids belts and go right to purple.at 16 if you are very good.

I didn't know that. That's pretty neat.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
When I started training, one of my instructors was an 18-year-old brown belt who had been training since he was 5 (relevant to what Yuns suggested, he also did gymnastics as a kid, so he loves to clown on people with ridiculous acrobatic stuff). The other brown belts occasionally wax nostalgic about the good old days when he was small enough that they could dominate him.

To the people opposed to adolescents doing submissions in competition--do you have specific incidents in mind that inform that opinion? Anecdotally, I haven't seen or heard of any of the kids in my extended BJJ social network having injured anything more than their feelings at a competiton, but I know of more than a few adult white belts that have.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

To the people opposed to adolescents doing submissions in competition--do you have specific incidents in mind that inform that opinion? Anecdotally, I haven't seen or heard of any of the kids in my extended BJJ social network having injured anything more than their feelings at a competiton, but I know of more than a few adult white belts that have.

Atlanta Naga 2016. The first injury I ever saw in competition personally was a pair of kids, between ages 10 and 15 I dunno for certain. Kid went for a spinning arm bar and got a pretty gross sounding pop out of it. I don't remember if it was because the kid applying it just spazzed and went for the pop, or if the other kid tried to escape and the other kid just shrugged and bridged until he heard a pop.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 4, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nestharken posted:

Mine have been doing it for years and have never been injured. However, I'm more than willing to listen to people who do bjj for more than a hobby (because that's all it is to me).

And as inexperienced as I am, I have been heavily involved in my kids training/tournaments and I honestly can't think of any injuries besides bloody noses, bumped knees, and the occasional mat burn.

Also skin infections. Some kid came in with one and people thought it was a bug bite. Now several kids have it (gross).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Lots of kids hurt themselves in competition if ref's don't stop them from applying subs. From what I've personally seen it was worse with kids than adults.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, kids should absolutely not be competing in American football, ever, period.

Really, like never? What sports should they be playing, girls soccer?

My son lost a whitebelt match @ 14 years old because his opponent sort of started an arm-bar, but did not have it at all. It was pretty disappointing (he was pissed, the rules were not clear to him and he had been working armbar escapes quite a bit before the match) the match was stopped, but I understand wanting to protect children and I get the optics of the sport that it is not desirable to have kids with broken arms associated with BJJ. Not a big deal.

However, same son in the same tournament absolutely blasted a double and smashed another kid into the mats and this is perfectly ok? IDK, it's pretty inconsistent. 14 - 15 year old athletes are not at all the same as 10 year old kids. They should be able to work subs in a competition within reason.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spandexcajun posted:

Soccer's cool, sure. Really though, American football is uniquely designed to cause as much brain damage as possible. Let kids do literally anything else this side of boxing.

spandexcajun posted:

My son lost a whitebelt match @ 14 years old because his opponent sort of started an arm-bar, but did not have it at all. It was pretty disappointing (he was pissed, the rules were not clear to him and he had been working armbar escapes quite a bit before the match) the match was stopped, but I understand wanting to protect children and I get the optics of the sport that it is not desirable to have kids with broken arms associated with BJJ. Not a big deal.

However, same son in the same tournament absolutely blasted a double and smashed another kid into the mats and this is perfectly ok? IDK, it's pretty inconsistent. 14 - 15 year old athletes are not at all the same as 10 year old kids. They should be able to work subs in a competition within reason.

A double leg shot executed to completion results in a takedown and a dominant position, not a broken arm. You can drill good breakfalling into someone before they compete and it becomes muscle memory -- a kid getting a torn rotator cuff because he's trying to ride out a deep kimura until the round ends is something else.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 4, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spandexcajun posted:

Lol come on dude

spandexcajun posted:

A bad arm bar can be potentially crippling. A hard takedown just hurts.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 4, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spandexcajun posted:

I'd like to give my kids a safe sport so that they avoid concussions early in life. I don't think anyone here would argue with that but hey.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Let kids do literally anything else this side of boxing.

quote:

“A 1996 National Safety Council accident report ranked amateur boxing 23rd on its list of injury-producing sports and rated it the safest of all contact sports…safer than football, wrestling, soccer, gymnastics and in-line skating.”

There's also a hopkins study that puts boxing well below sports that people consider "safe" for kids.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The more we learn about TBI and CTE the less likely I would be to let my kid play football. Pup Warner and Youth Football coaches/refs aren't exactly qualified to spot concussion symptoms.

Anyways, Danaher is coming out with a front headlock system DVD, kinda excited to see what's in store there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

There's also a hopkins study that puts boxing well below sports that people consider "safe" for kids.

I mean I imagine it's because their tiny little bodies cannot really do enough to actually cause brain damage

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

I'd assume the general risk for injury in boxing is extremely low until you factor in the accumulated damage from repeated punches to the head. 1996 we didn't know poo poo about brain injury. That being said, boxing minus sparring is probably really low risk of any type of injury.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

I'd assume the general risk for injury in boxing is extremely low until you factor in the accumulated damage from repeated punches to the head. 1996 we didn't know poo poo about brain injury. That being said, boxing minus sparring is probably really low risk of any type of injury.

Kids aren't getting hit in the head.

Just like you guys were telling me that kids shouldn't be doing submissions, etc, until they're much older that's how youth boxing works.

Cardio, bag work, pad work, foot work, and drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean I dont want my kids to turn into pussies so I let them wail on each others heads with PVC pipe until they forget their birthdays but you guys go ahead and put em in dresses or whatever.