Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I don't know any Rays, seems like a good opportunity to get to know them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I just heard from a guy on my local Craigslist who's selling a 1070 for a decent price, and when I asked him if he'd put it through heavy mining that might have damaged it, he replied:

quote:

Very slight mining (couple of month). Went into the wrong timing so ended up shutting down quickly. Card is pretty much new...

What does "wrong timing" mean in this context? Does this "shutting down" mean it's burning out or does it mean something else?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Timing" implies he hosed with the card's BIOS to tweak the GDDR5 for ~maximum hash rate~.

EDIT: Or, as others have said, he bought in too late.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 3, 2018

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
So I should ask him to set it back to factory settings?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I'm thinking he is trying to say he timed his entry into the market poorly and shut down his mining ops quickly? He's probably full of poo poo either way

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It could mean the po bought it at a bad time and it wasn't profitable for long, so they're selling it.

I thought Nvidia cards were all bios locked, did they get around that?

Efb

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah context suggests he got into mining when poo poo was going south already.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

A good poster posted:

I just heard from a guy on my local Craigslist who's selling a 1070 for a decent price, and when I asked him if he'd put it through heavy mining that might have damaged it, he replied:

What does "wrong timing" mean in this context? Does this "shutting down" mean it's burning out or does it mean something else?

Probably that he bought in February/March at the height of mania and it’s tanked significantly since then, poor timing to try and mine internet dollars.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does it have a transferable warranty?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I thought Nvidia cards were all bios locked, did they get around that?

Nope. To my knowledge no one has gotten around the BIOS lock, and frankly there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in trying.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nvidia cards are "soft locked". The flasher is locked down but if you flash them with a hardware flasher the hardware doesn't care about bad CRCs or whatever the software flasher looks for. I think he means that he bought at a bad time though, the number of people who have and can use hardware flashing tools is vanishingly small.

If someone wants to have a go at the Pascal flasher the way the Maxwell flasher was cracked was by swapping go/no go checks. The cracked flasher will not accept legit bioses but will flash a "corrupt" one no problem. If I knew about cracking I'd look at it, but the only X86 ASM I know is 90 is NOP.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If there is a memo coming from nVidia to reviewers or distributors saying basically that they have to encourage preorders or whatever or they won't get xyz treatment from nVidia, why isn't this leaked? Wouldn't you expect there to be at least one of the hundreds or thousands of people who received the email who would be willing to leak it in some way if it was especially anti-consumer and newsworthy?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

If there is a memo coming from nVidia to reviewers or distributors saying basically that they have to encourage preorders or whatever or they won't get xyz treatment from nVidia, why isn't this leaked? Wouldn't you expect there to be at least one of the hundreds or thousands of people who received the email who would be willing to leak it in some way if it was especially anti-consumer and newsworthy?

It’s more entertaining to watch the conspiracy theories from Reddit and tech blogs about RTX surface and watch people fight over leaks to justify their preorders. I am part of the preorder problem but I just reversed myself until the 14th for the benchmarks to see if I want to go through with it. It’s just sucks that the prices are moving around for Pascal in the States but in Canada with the exchange and shipping , you don’t save anything big. The only options are going to 2080 Turning for the price of a 1080ti or go for a 1080 or 1070 Ti for half the price.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I received my RMA’ed 1080Ti FTW3 from EVGA on Friday, and clean installed Win 10 Pro 1803 and the latest 399 drivers from Nvidia. All seemed well. Also have two 60Hz 4K monitors plugged in: one with Gsync, one without. I noticed yesterday that my card was idling a little warm and realized it was idling at the desktop at full base clocks (1569 MHz), though some googling indicated this may be normal for multi monitors (although I never noticed it before the RMA).
I tried using Nvidia Inspector for low-power multi monitor use, but it caused instability and I deleted it along with using DDU and then reinstalling the 399 drivers for good measure.
All seemed normal again, besides the idling at 1569 MHz. However I then noticed the clock also wouldn’t budge in-game - no matter what game, it was always stuck at the base clock of 1569 MHz and wouldn’t ever boost higher. The voltage also tops out at 0.8120 V at most, versus getting to ~1950 MHz and ~1.08 V before the RMA/clean install.
I’ve checked the Nvidia control panel and changing the power usage doesn’t matter - adaptive, optimal, or max, the base clock is as high as it will go. Also tried adjusting the Windows power profile to max performance, and even flipping the BIOS switch on the FTW3 card itself - which ran the fans higher, but again only at base clock.
Is there anything I’m missing here? E.g. could some errant Windows app trigger the base clock rate and take priority over a gaming application?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nvidia used to have a bug where 2 monitors lead to the clock speed maxing out. I don't know if there was a fix. Being stuck at baseclock might mean it's running hot? Worth checking. I don't really have any other ideas other than the BIOS needing to be reflashed.

Is windows power setting set to Max Performance?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Space Racist posted:

I received my RMA’ed 1080Ti FTW3 from EVGA on Friday, and clean installed Win 10 Pro 1803 and the latest 399 drivers from Nvidia. All seemed well. Also have two 60Hz 4K monitors plugged in: one with Gsync, one without. I noticed yesterday that my card was idling a little warm and realized it was idling at the desktop at full base clocks (1569 MHz), though some googling indicated this may be normal for multi monitors (although I never noticed it before the RMA).
I tried using Nvidia Inspector for low-power multi monitor use, but it caused instability and I deleted it along with using DDU and then reinstalling the 399 drivers for good measure.
All seemed normal again, besides the idling at 1569 MHz. However I then noticed the clock also wouldn’t budge in-game - no matter what game, it was always stuck at the base clock of 1569 MHz and wouldn’t ever boost higher. The voltage also tops out at 0.8120 V at most, versus getting to ~1950 MHz and ~1.08 V before the RMA/clean install.
I’ve checked the Nvidia control panel and changing the power usage doesn’t matter - adaptive, optimal, or max, the base clock is as high as it will go. Also tried adjusting the Windows power profile to max performance, and even flipping the BIOS switch on the FTW3 card itself - which ran the fans higher, but again only at base clock.
Is there anything I’m missing here? E.g. could some errant Windows app trigger the base clock rate and take priority over a gaming application?

Try unplugging one of the monitors and see what happens? Or running them at 1440p or 1080p even to see if it changes anything. What cables are you using to the monitors?

Dumb question but you aren't using any OC software right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have the same card and 2 monitors and definitely does not do that on mine

One is 4k/60 and the other is 1440/144 if that matters to you. Both running off DP

E: even when i OC them they dont run at anything near that frequency , what temp is it running at?

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 4, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

A good poster posted:

What others have said is almost certainly true. A lot of people were burned with new card purchases early in the year. People were REALLY burned after that, say in the last 4 months. Chances are very high he's telling the truth especially if he doesnt have like 90 he's trying to sell. AMD cards are the ones that are commonly bios modded for memory, Pascal cards I haven't heard of a single person yet. Considering the age range a Pascal card can be I'd have little worry buying one that was mined on ~if it has a warranty~.

Some cards will have a manufacturing date printed or stickered to the PCB, see if you can get a pic of that. If its old its not definitive of much but if its a new date then you can be extra sure. 1070's can go back to 2016 now though so its worth asking. Any 2017 manufacture (or 2018 if youre lucky) and the risk drops pretty quickly. 1070s just dont run very hot. I am somewhat superstitious of blower card mining due to the endless throttling they do as well but thats just me. It bothered me so much I had a very nice 16" fan cooling my blower cards so that the fan speed never rose above 40% and the factory boost never wavered. I have no proof that matters though

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
My video card may have died, and my PC has been acting weird for over two years now. Last time I built a PC I had to scrape money together and take advantage of sales. Now I'm graduated with a fancy job and the temptation to just pull the trigger on a high-end config is growing. I've been out of the loop on GPUs since I bought the 560ti a million years ago.

Is the RTX the latest fad? The most intensive things I'd do is play high-end games and occasionally run some computational simulations/machine learning stuff.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Kudaros posted:

My video card may have died, and my PC has been acting weird for over two years now. Last time I built a PC I had to scrape money together and take advantage of sales. Now I'm graduated with a fancy job and the temptation to just pull the trigger on a high-end config is growing. I've been out of the loop on GPUs since I bought the 560ti a million years ago.

Is the RTX the latest fad? The most intensive things I'd do is play high-end games and occasionally run some computational simulations/machine learning stuff.

Yes but reviews are coming in 10 days and until then nobody really knows anything. Less so than most releases honestly

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
come to the PC partpicking thread with a use case, budget and monitor res/refresh. Also specify what simulation/machine learning software you are using and what type of hardware it seeks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Kudaros posted:

1gnoirents posted:

Yes but reviews are coming in 10 days and until then nobody really knows anything. Less so than most releases honestly

There is so much strong opinion and misinformation about this launch that it is best to wait for the benchmarks before considering anything at the moment.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

VelociBacon posted:

Try unplugging one of the monitors and see what happens? Or running them at 1440p or 1080p even to see if it changes anything. What cables are you using to the monitors?

Dumb question but you aren't using any OC software right?

I had Precision XOC installed, but hadn’t used it to overclock. Tried uninstalling it last night and clocks still didn’t budge. I just got home from work so I’m about to try messing around with it some more. Both monitors are hooked up via DP.

Statutory Ape posted:

I have the same card and 2 monitors and definitely does not do that on mine

One is 4k/60 and the other is 1440/144 if that matters to you. Both running off DP

E: even when i OC them they dont run at anything near that frequency , what temp is it running at?

Temps seemed completely fine, though as mentioned they’re warm at idle due to running at base clocks on the desktop - around 50 to 55. In gaming it never seemed to go much above 60, again I’m guessing due to not triggering GPU boost and staying at relatively low voltage.

I’m going to troubleshoot some more, but is it possible EVGA sent a lemon as a RMA replacement?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Remoted into my desktop thats been idle for at least an hour if not more. Room temp is 75f give or take, GPU was at 44c. Idk if that helps you or if theres anything else I can do to help, but let me know :shrug:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Evga showing off their water, hybrid, and blower RTX models:

https://videocardz.com/77837/evga-unveils-hydro-copper-and-hybrid-geforce-rtx-models

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Looking a little more closely at task manager, I seem to have continual low-level 3D GPU usage (i.e. 5-10% utilization) by Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and Client Server Runtime Process (csrss.exe). This is with just task manager and GPU-Z open. Googling indicates I'm not the only one with the issue, but solutions seem thin on the ground.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lambert posted:

This is 100% normal.

This is bullshit, it's not normal. Normal idle usage by DWM would be 1-2% on modern integrated GPU. It's just like I was told here at SA that System process continually using 5-8% of my CPU and making the fans spin up periodically was normal when real normal usage would be 0-2% at idle and it took me over a year to figure out the cause.

Space Racist posted:

Looking a little more closely at task manager, I seem to have continual low-level 3D GPU usage (i.e. 5-10% utilization) by Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and Client Server Runtime Process (csrss.exe). This is with just task manager and GPU-Z open. Googling indicates I'm not the only one with the issue, but solutions seem thin on the ground.

Do you have any other GPU diagnostics or tweaking programs running in the background? Some of them can have have bugs with certain HW configurations that make them do the same calls over and over again.

E: In my case it was Afterburner making some interrupt in kernel use unusually lot of CPU when GPU was not stressed. Never figured out what it really meant because there's no documentation about that specific interrupt thing. I'm not really sure if something similar can happen to GPU usage too.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sininu posted:

This is bullshit, it's not normal. Normal idle usage by DWM would be 1-2% on modern integrated GPU. It's just like I was told here at SA that System process continually using 5-8% of my CPU and making the fans spin up periodically was normal when real normal usage would be 0-2% at idle and it took me over a year to figure out the cause.

Edited it out, because I didn't read correctly.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lambert posted:

Edited it out, because I didn't read correctly.

No worries, reading W10 thread has made me quick to jump on people claiming that things are normal when they clearly aren't.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Had an interesting chat with an Uncle at Nintendo, few tidbits/speculation, stuff from me is in [brackets]:

• He's quite sure RTX 2070 is TU106 (or possibly TU116) [which means a 256-bit bus on TU106/TU116]
  • 2080 Mobile is at an advanced stage of preparation and is a full-fat 2080 with 2944 cores [probably with binning/TDP limits, and note that it may take a while to get designed into laptops even after launch, especially given the TDP]
  • There is a Titan but it doesn't appear to be imminently releasing
  • No sign of any other RTX cards at all in the pipe [2060 and below will be GTX-branded, possibly rebrands of Pascal]
  • Quadro 5000 and 8000 volume seems to be very low compared to the 6000 and the GeForce cards [anecdotally I think volume for 2080 Ti is very low, so NVIDIA appears to be focusing on 2080 for TU104 and Quadro 6000 for TU102 SKUs]
  • He speculates 12nm Turing will be short-lived and that NVIDIA will replace it next year [no shocker there]
  • He speculates that if NVIDIA is going to do a RTX 2060 that it would be a 128-bit bus on TU106/TU116, meaning 1060 performance with raytracing but very little raster speedup
  • He thinks AMD is going to a 96-CU part for Vega 20 based on the FP32 throughput, and thinks that will carry through to Navi consumer parts [implying that AMD has finally done the redesign of GCN]

Huge grain of salt but this guy would know.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 4, 2018

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Sininu posted:

Do you have any other GPU diagnostics or tweaking programs running in the background? Some of them can have have bugs with certain HW configurations that make them do the same calls over and over again.

E: In my case it was Afterburner making some interrupt in kernel use unusually lot of CPU when GPU was not stressed. Never figured out what it really meant because there's no documentation about that specific interrupt thing. I'm not really sure if something similar can happen to GPU usage too.

Nothing I’m aware of - as mentioned earlier it’s a clean install from a few days ago so there’s not much cruft yet. All I had was the Nvidia driver package, Precision XOC, and I also ran the Nvidia Inspector to try to force the GPU to downclock with multi monitors. I uninstalled Precision, deleted Inspector after disabling the downclock attempt, and then used DDU to remove and reinstall the Nvidia driver package just in case Inspector left anything behind.
I do also have Gigabyte SIV for setting a custom profile for my case fans, and installed Intel XTU and a couple other monitoring programs (GPU-Z, CoreTemp, CPU-Z) also.
At this point I’d be happy if I could just get it to trigger GPU boost in games. No matter what game, it’s stuck at the base clock of 1569 MHz, VDDC of 0.8120 V and the PerfCap as ‘Idle’.
I’m tempted to just wipe and reinstall Windows again, but I’d like to figure this out instead of just taking the nuclear option.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is there like, idk, a safe mode you can start in :shrug:

or another computer you could toss the card in?

E: or even if you could load windows or something onto another HD and boot off that possibly? idfk im spitballin

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
It’s time to go nuclear and format that sucker.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Space Racist posted:

Nothing I’m aware of - as mentioned earlier it’s a clean install from a few days ago so there’s not much cruft yet. All I had was the Nvidia driver package, Precision XOC, and I also ran the Nvidia Inspector to try to force the GPU to downclock with multi monitors. I uninstalled Precision, deleted Inspector after disabling the downclock attempt, and then used DDU to remove and reinstall the Nvidia driver package just in case Inspector left anything behind.
I do also have Gigabyte SIV for setting a custom profile for my case fans, and installed Intel XTU and a couple other monitoring programs (GPU-Z, CoreTemp, CPU-Z) also.
At this point I’d be happy if I could just get it to trigger GPU boost in games. No matter what game, it’s stuck at the base clock of 1569 MHz, VDDC of 0.8120 V and the PerfCap as ‘Idle’.
I’m tempted to just wipe and reinstall Windows again, but I’d like to figure this out instead of just taking the nuclear option.

I'd actually try and re-flash the bios on the card. I don't know offhand where to find it though. Maybe the support forums?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Space Racist posted:

In the nvidia control panel, try toggling "debug mode" in the help menu (it forces the card to reference clocks and voltages, even for factory overclocked cards). I know my 1080 stops idling when you connect more than 2 monitors to it, my primary display is 1080p/240 Hz and my secondary is 1200p/60 Hz. If I connect a third display my card goes to a high idle of like 1100 MHz something, not the full 1600 MHz base clock but much higher than the default 139 MHz idle. 2x 2160p/60 monitors does require more bandwidth to drive though, but it should still boost when called for even if it wasn't idling anymore.

You said its a RMA replacement card? Perhaps examine the bios on it and make sure it hasn't been tampered with (like someone disabled boost and undervolted the card in order to maintain peak efficiency as a mining card). Though last time I checked which was admittedly a LONG time ago it wasn't possible to flash pascal cards with custom bios yet...

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

B-Mac posted:

It’s time to go nuclear and format that sucker.

It's the only way to be sure.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Indiana_Krom posted:

You said its a RMA replacement card? Perhaps examine the bios on it and make sure it hasn't been tampered with (like someone disabled boost and undervolted the card in order to maintain peak efficiency as a mining card). Though last time I checked which was admittedly a LONG time ago it wasn't possible to flash pascal cards with custom bios yet...

I’d considered that, yeah. The card actually has two BIOSes on it - normally a regular factory OC and one with a more aggressive fan profile and higher power limit. Switching from one to the other triggered the fan curve change, but both of them were stuck at base clocks still when under load. It just seems bizarre that someone would flash both of the BIOSes on the card.

I’m going to poke around some more and probably try another format and clean install, testing clock speeds with each driver/utility install to see if I can figure out what triggered it. Barring that, guess it’s time to contact support again.

Ugh. At this rate I might have to pick up an Xbox One X and just say hell with it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What kind of desktop backgrounds are you using? I have heard of some of the "live" ones being significant resource hogs,b especially with your 4Kx2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Space Racist posted:

I’d considered that, yeah. The card actually has two BIOSes on it - normally a regular factory OC and one with a more aggressive fan profile and higher power limit. Switching from one to the other triggered the fan curve change, but both of them were stuck at base clocks still when under load. It just seems bizarre that someone would flash both of the BIOSes on the card.

I’m going to poke around some more and probably try another format and clean install, testing clock speeds with each driver/utility install to see if I can figure out what triggered it. Barring that, guess it’s time to contact support again.

Ugh. At this rate I might have to pick up an Xbox One X and just say hell with it.

Sorry I think I read everything but have you disconnected one monitor yet? Or better yet try it with another single 1080p monitor?

I'd also try a different PCI-e slot just as a hail mary attempt.