Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's a good object lesson, if you haven't already figured it out, in the reality that hoping to get promoted by doing really good work at the grunt level is a sucker's game. Being good at your job has nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Conceptually I don't mind the "I'm gonna park my cart here and walk around to grab all my groceries in this area" shopping strategy.

Except how do those people always zero in on exactly where I'm about to start working and park their cart in the center of it?

Are some of my customers secretly cats

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ugh, nothing like a 5 minute phone call with a customer over how lovely your store is (and it is lovely) because they forgot a bag, that contained a $2 bottle of no name laundry detergent.

Also love the new boss with her "the customer is always right" attitude, yeah, just this week:

we got scammed for $145 on a return that's under investigation because they wanted cash and wouldn't take no for an answer, so good job District Manager on pushing that poo poo through.

Had a mentally challenged girl come in, claim she talked to "the manager" about trading in come candy, she wanted to trade $4 worth of gum for $9 worth of candy, and started begging the other customers to cover the rest. My coworker covered the rest. Her mother, just sat in the car, bitch.

Then had a guy try to return $10 in oil, we need an ID for that level of return, and he didn't have it, so I had to refuse the return. This didn't sit well at 9:30 at night with this douche.

Also love the fact that she thinks that we should try to keep a penny shopper who, by her own words, stayed 6 hours asking for help to find penny items, interrupting them the whole time so they couldn't stock. Unless she finds 7000 penny items to cover the wages, it's not worth it to keep this lady around, that's loving just basic business.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It always astounds me how hard clueless and/or spineless managers make their people work, and how willing they are to humiliate the employees they depend on, to keep customers who they should be very happy to make their competitor's problem

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Last week my boss was talking a big game about how the rest of the nightfill team have been working really hard in the aisles I haven't got to yet and every single box in every single overhead has been touched and we are looking so great for stocktake in a fortnight!!!!

Today I found $620-worth of unsellable past-clearance folders in the overhead of a single bay in one of those aisles :ughh:

The quest to unfuck everything continues.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Have you tried, like, not caring so much? Are you being paid and bonused as a manager? Because if they guys getting paid to give a poo poo about that stuff don't (and they don't, or it would stop) then I can't see why you do.

If you want to give a poo poo about something, then get the gently caress out of retail and go somewhere that giving a poo poo about the job will matter.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
How uncomfortable would you be if your teenage trainee said "Sorry I'm a little giggly, I took a lot of pain pills earlier"

...okay.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Giving a poo poo about professional accountability is the last shred of your dignity trying desperately to keep you from collapsing into a fetid, bubbling puddle of ironic nihilism.

Frankly I applaud the effort, even if it's misdirected.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

How uncomfortable would you be if your teenage trainee said "Sorry I'm a little giggly, I took a lot of pain pills earlier"

...okay.

You're around a bunch of machines that can scald and injure her if she fucks up badly enough. Yeah, I'd be highly uncomfortable.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pentaghastly posted:

...okay.

Report her.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I wouldn't care if I saw my co-workers drinking on the job if they did their work.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The problem is if something happens and management finds out that she told you she was taking pain pills and you didn't report it. I don't love the idea of snitching on someone, but if they are dumb enough to not leave you plausible deniability then they are doing it to themselves.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Had a mentally challenged girl come in, claim she talked to "the manager" about trading in come candy, she wanted to trade $4 worth of gum for $9 worth of candy, and started begging the other customers to cover the rest. My coworker covered the rest. Her mother, just sat in the car, bitch.

You can trade in candy? This is a great opportunity.
(An update: new job is excellent. I love the work; I'm getting good hours, everybody's nice and nobody makes me feel dumb for not knowing stuff even if they just upped me to three days a week.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

therobit posted:

The problem is if something happens and management finds out that she told you she was taking pain pills and you didn't report it. I don't love the idea of snitching on someone, but if they are dumb enough to not leave you plausible deniability then they are doing it to themselves.

"I assumed it was just a joke and didn't think anything of it"

Sorry but going to go against the grain here, Brand New Teenage Co-Worker's problems are their own and getting a reputation as the store snitch is death.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Its alright, she called out for her 5th day working here so I don't think she'll stick around long enough to maim herself

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Christ we were in the store until 11:30 tonight (closed at 10). gently caress back to school.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wouldn't care if I saw my co-workers drinking on the job if they did their work.

I've literally seen this, and that girl worked with deli slicers.

One of the best deli closers I've ever seen, honestly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a working environment where risks of chemical burns, injuries due to brake lathe, electrical shock and such are present every day, thus, me being more of an rear end about it. Its not a good idea to be nodding out and turning a rotor at the same time. If someone is taking pain pills for medical reasons, they get stuck on counter duty, if they aren't perscribed them, they get a polite private chat. They do it again, then it gets more interesting. Horray for being in management and having to be the rear end in a top hat.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
My retail customer life question: someone had opened a bunch of cans at the gas station chiller, so I told the staff.
The staff informed me that she'd rather have them stolen than opened and left there. My response was to agree, but that's still a bizarre concept to me. Is it just a moment of not wanting to leave the register or is theft just easier to deal with.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
If it's just gone, you don't have to deal with disposing of opened product, cleaning up possible spills, and the related paperwork. It's just extra stuff nobody really has time for.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Zeth posted:

If it's just gone, you don't have to deal with disposing of opened product, cleaning up possible spills, and the related paperwork. It's just extra stuff nobody really has time for.

It might be that they have to go through some process for damaged or faulty goods instead of it just being another number in the loss column when doing inventory.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
God but this thread keeps me grateful.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

It might be that they have to go through some process for damaged or faulty goods instead of it just being another number in the loss column when doing inventory.

It is exactly this. The process is a major pain in the rear end.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Just left my shift interview, feeling confident that it went very well but there's some stiff competition and I wont be hurt if I don't get the position.

I did not wear a cardigan. I wore "work outfit +" which means I dried my hair beforehand.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
My new boss, who is a huge policy wank, is leaving early every loving day (5 hours early yesterday), to the point where we now have 2 full trucks of rolltainers in the store, and another one coming tomorrow. The back room is so full I can barely make it through to the office, and actually couldn't two days ago. So good job on "cleaning up the store" you rear end wipe, maybe stick around for more then 4 hours and put up a rolltainer.

She keeps claiming family issues, cause she has 5 kids, which are probably legit, but still, loving christ, solve your issue and get back to the store. It's never serious poo poo either, it's like routine doctor visits.

It gets really stupid too, The ASM had to take her kid to "The Hospital," one day, which got me called in early, only for her to show up twice, with said kid, later that day. If you went to the hospital and can show up two hours later, you should not have gone to the hospital period, but also you should have gone to an urgent care (they're cheaper).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's good to be the king :smug:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
That reminds me of me. Two or three times in August I kept trying to get a vacation. Inventory was coming up at some point ( nobody knew when ), and that would mean I couldn't take one. Not long after, Nov/Dec would crop up, and you ain't getting off then.

I couldn't get one, either because the people in charge weren't authorized to schedule vacations, or because nobody could cover me. Whatever.

So the first time I got hold of someone that could do it, I said, "I want one any week in September, I don't care which." This would give the manager in question plenty of time to fit me in whenever, and wouldn't gently caress them at a busy time.

"Inventory was just announced for this month, can't."

Mmmmmm.

Store manager took off all this week.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
In the time it took me to take a poo poo my boss just texted me three times, one to beg me to come in tomorrow, one to tell me why (her kids need to get immunized, loving take them to a loving walgreens, you moron), and the next to say she found out the other LSA could do it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I long for some time off but have been working so much for so long I can't even begin to figure out what I'd do with a week off, let alone how I'd justify affording it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Last time I had more than three days off in a row was in April for PAX East.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hiring freeze right before peak season.

gently caress. Yes.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant by paperwork. My phrasing was just kind of unfortunate.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
We now sell this:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zenithe posted:

We now sell this:

There's another one with Kettle Original salted chips embedded in it. We had a display of the two of them up last week or the week before I think. My initial reaction was 'oh for fucks sake' followed closely by 'why the hell would you do this'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

There's another one with Kettle Original salted chips embedded in it. We had a display of the two of them up last week or the week before I think. My initial reaction was 'oh for fucks sake' followed closely by 'why the hell would you do this'

Because the saltiness of the chips complements the chocolate absurdly well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why not have big chunks of salt, then?

EDIT: Okay, turns out that's actually a thing which exists, too.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 8, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why not have big chunks of salt, then?

EDIT: Okay, turns out that's actually a thing which exists, too.

Yes, and it sucks.

While we're on the subject, salted caramel is hugely overrated as well. You almost can't order a dessert these days without it involving salted somethingorother.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Because the saltiness of the chips complements the chocolate absurdly well.

Agreed. Though I'm probably going to hell because I love having milk chocolate with hickory sticks too.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Today, I watched someone move a deployed ladder, stand where the ladder stood, then strain to reach up as high as possible to pull something off the shelf that the ladder was directly in front of not 10 seconds prior.

People are fuckin stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HazCat posted:

Today I found $620-worth of unsellable past-clearance folders in the overhead of a single bay in one of those aisles :ughh:

The quest to unfuck everything continues.

Also @Hazcat to echo what that other guy said, have you tried not caring no so much? They obviously have no repercussions for doing a lovely job, so why do you keep covering for them? Either talk to your boss and have them fired or just stop caring. It’s just retail at a staples (or office max or whatever), dude.

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes, and it sucks.

While we're on the subject, salted caramel is hugely overrated as well. You almost can't order a dessert these days without it involving salted somethingorother.

Incredibly wrong and bad opinion. Salt is a flavor intensifier and caramel anything is top-tier. Savory and sweet is the whole reason Reese’s peanut butter cups are so good, or ketchup and fries.