Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kid sinister posted:

Another lovely Airbnb.

I can imagine burning to death in a housefire there, because the only way out was the stairs and I was too embarrassed to interrupt the person using the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Youth Decay posted:

This house is humongous but a nice example of "modern" design that isn't an ugly gray box or a mishmash of clashing styles.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/309-Hillwood-Rd-Richmond-VA-23226/89125281_zpid/?fullpage=true
It also has a good example of a Kitchen Island You Can gently caress On.

I'm the spot in the middle of the island that can only be reached by slithering onto it on your belly like a beached dolphin

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

kid sinister posted:

Another lovely Airbnb.

This makes it virtually impossible to get to the toilet uninjured when you are drunk and need to find a place to puke quickly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Having the toilet on the landing used to be the standard in Berlin apartments and is still pretty common in older/cheaper ones but for gently caress sake they'd give you a door

The toilet looks like it's just at a random angle in the middle of the room

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Devor posted:

I'm the spot in the middle of the island that can only be reached by slithering onto it on your belly like a beached dolphin

Ah, I see you've been to rich people orgies.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So this thread talks so much about lovely house design, so what are some examples of good house design and architecture in modern houses? I realize that builders in most neighborhoods are going to build pink brick cubes, but in the unlikely event that I ever get enough money to do a custom build, how does one avoid ending up on McMansion Hell?
Going to use these guys for my vacation home if I ever save up enough money - http://www.lucidarc.com/

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I really like inventive uses for garage doors.

An Olson Kundig project, I believe.

They have one where an entire glass wall slides like 25 feet out - https://www.olsonkundig.com/projects/berkshire-residence/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gvibes posted:

Going to use these guys for my vacation home if I ever save up enough money - http://www.lucidarc.com/

I've started to hate this style as 90% of new mansions in my area all look like this. Every mega-rich gently caress who buys that charming 3br perfectly lovely turn of the century waterfront house just has to tear it down to build one of these huge institutional looking cedar and glass and shed-roofed complexes (which they then use 2 months of the year). I swear I've seen these exact houses before, specially the last one, but they all just look so exactly the same. Wonder if it's the same firm or just the current trendy style with the mega-rich.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baronjutter posted:

I've started to hate this style as 90% of new mansions in my area all look like this. Every mega-rich gently caress who buys that charming 3br perfectly lovely turn of the century waterfront house just has to tear it down to build one of these huge institutional looking cedar and glass and shed-roofed complexes (which they then use 2 months of the year). I swear I've seen these exact houses before, specially the last one, but they all just look so exactly the same. Wonder if it's the same firm or just the current trendy style with the mega-rich.
Are you pacific northwest somewhere? It seems to be the dominant style up there. Not near as common elsewhere. Mwworks, deforest, and whitman estes in seattle, for instance.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gvibes posted:

They have one where an entire glass wall slides like 25 feet out - https://www.olsonkundig.com/projects/berkshire-residence/

Whoah, do not open that on a windy day!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I want one of these. I don't know why, but I must have it. Like the incra t-rules I saw in a youtube video.
https://www.incra.com/measuring_marking-trules.html

kid sinister posted:

Another lovely Airbnb.

That's a dangerous aura.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

gvibes posted:

Oh come on, this is just lazy, leaving huge I-beams sticking out of the house. If you're mega-rich you at least need to have the panels curve around into some kind of housing or something on the sides so it looks cooler.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

gvibes posted:

Are you pacific northwest somewhere? It seems to be the dominant style up there. Not near as common elsewhere. Mwworks, deforest, and whitman estes in seattle, for instance.

deforest is quite the name for anyone involved in homebuilding.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leviathan Song posted:

I read once that subdivisions are usually named after the things that they destroy. With a builder named Deforest...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the glass and metal cube just screams trendy silicon valley office park to me. Why would you want to live in that?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

When I did the original viewing of my house I said “nothing some redecoration won’t fix”. I’ve spent Ł152,000 on it so far.

Houses, man. We went to a showing of a 1937 house here in Sweden, of a particular style that's getting rare as hell these days. Looked it over, read the inspection report, saw all the poo poo needing to be done and decided not to get it. Looked at other houses, saw this one still on the market, made an offer a bit lower than asking and got it. Did all the poo poo we didn't want to do, and 100+ hours of labor later moved in. Day after discover water leak in basement from using the kitchen. We shove a camera probe and find out the original plumbing is basically hosed (not a shocker since it's 80 year old cast iron but figured we'd be able to use it at least for a while) and we have to rip out half the basement to fix it. Oh well.

Everything else is done though! And it's a loving awesome house.

(Ironically, I just finished a multiyear renovation of a 1940s place and once done said "never loving doing this poo poo again" yet here I am...)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 5, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gvibes posted:

I'm in the pacific south-west, Victoria. Pretty much the same thing. But Victoria, Vancouver, and the Gulf Islands are just lousy with these things so the style has become, probably unfairly, associated with the worst of the housing crisis and wealth inequality.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The top one looks like a nice modern rich people house. The other two look like buildings transplanted from a college campus or an office park.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm in the pacific south-west, Victoria. Pretty much the same thing. But Victoria, Vancouver, and the Gulf Islands are just lousy with these things so the style has become, probably unfairly, associated with the worst of the housing crisis and wealth inequality.

I guess I never would have said that our Pacific Northwest is next to your Pacific Southwest, but now that I’ve seen it actually stated, it makes a lot of sense. Talk about some very different southwests though!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

(not a shocker since it's 80 year old cast iron but figured we'd be able to use it at least for a while)

Said every other person for the last 50 years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hailthefish posted:

The top one looks like a nice modern rich people house. The other two look like buildings transplanted from a college campus or an office park.

Yeah that's what I hate about them, they're so loving institutional. I see them and think "Oh did a little private college open up here?" nope, that's the home of a single retired 60-year old couple who just lives on the island for a month or two in the summer. So often my wife won't believe it's a person's house, she'll look through the huge glass walls and see a hotel or office style lobby with no signs of residential use or life and argue there's no way this is a person's house, it's gotta be a business or school. Nope, that's what they want, the sterile commercial building look inside and out.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

E: re Baronjutter

That style is popular in NZ too, although with different claddings. They're so tall that they tend to loom hugely unless they're very carefully placed to fit their environs.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not even in/from the Pacific Northwest but I came to hate this style during the brouhaha with tech douche Kevin Rose and the historic Portland Victorian he bought. Basically, he went into this lovely old neighborhood, bought the biggest, oldest, and most beautiful 1890s Victorian in amazing condition, and then quietly had it removed from the historic register and drew up plans to demolish and replace it with one of those boxy modern concrete/glass/wood houses. The rich neighbors found out and basically ran him out of town after compelling him to sell the house to them, thank gently caress.

As the proud owner of a Victorian that's not even half as cool as the one in Portland that Kevin Rose bought just to tear down, gently caress him and his ilk forever.

The design was fine in and of itself, but the fact that he wanted to destroy an irreplaceable gem of a house in order to build it made it despicable. I can't look at a house in that style without wondering what neat old house had to die for it to be built.

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 5, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Leviathan Song posted:

It took me a minute to understand this. There is a town nearish me called DeForest that's pronouncd deh-forest so I had to kind of unpack things to get what you meant since I normally only see that context as "deforestation."

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Original building/design didn't meet accessibility requirements for the bathrooms, so a service hallway was converted. It could have been done more neatly, but that would have cost money. The mirror shows that behind the camera is a lockable door, and I bet that other door is a janitors closet of some sort.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Queen Victorian posted:

I'm not even in/from the Pacific Northwest but I came to hate this style during the brouhaha with tech douche Kevin Rose and the historic Portland Victorian he bought. Basically, he went into this lovely old neighborhood, bought the biggest, oldest, and most beautiful 1890s Victorian in amazing condition, and then quietly had it removed from the historic register and drew up plans to demolish and replace it with one of those boxy modern concrete/glass/wood houses. The rich neighbors found out and basically ran him out of town after compelling him to sell the house to them, thank gently caress.

As the proud owner of a Victorian that's not even half as cool as the one in Portland that Kevin Rose bought just to tear down, gently caress him and his ilk forever.

The design was fine in and of itself, but the fact that he wanted to destroy an irreplaceable gem of a house in order to build it made it despicable. I can't look at a house in that style without wondering what neat old house had to die for it to be built.

Yeah, gently caress that guy. There's too many like him in the PNW.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

Original building/design didn't meet accessibility requirements for the bathrooms, so a service hallway was converted. It could have been done more neatly, but that would have cost money. The mirror shows that behind the camera is a lockable door, and I bet that other door is a janitors closet of some sort.

I guess that makes sense.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

It took me a minute to understand this. There is a town nearish me called DeForest that's pronouncd deh-forest so I had to kind of unpack things to get what you meant since I normally only see that context as "deforestation."

I have a DeForest near me as well (WI). Also an Oregon (Or-reh-gone).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PetraCore posted:

The dead grass around the house, the pitch-black windows barely reflecting light and giving no inkling of what's inside. The hint of an incoming storm in the clouds. This is perfectly set up to give off a feeling of being a cursed house, imo.

Hence why I turned around, stopped, and got out to shoot it. The houses across the street are...more modest

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MH Knights posted:

I have a DeForest near me as well (WI). Also an Oregon (Or-reh-gone).

Yeah there are a few WI goons itt.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yeah there are a few WI goons itt.

Hopefully everyone is keeping as dry as possible and not having to deal with wet/moldy construction.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

gvibes posted:

This one is 100% lifted straight out of the 1967 edition of Sunset Magazine’s Ideas for Planning Your New Home.

(Therefore I automatically love it.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Youth Decay posted:

This house is humongous but a nice example of "modern" design that isn't an ugly gray box or a mishmash of clashing styles.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/309-Hillwood-Rd-Richmond-VA-23226/89125281_zpid/?fullpage=true
It also has a good example of a Kitchen Island You Can gently caress On.

That picture is like archetypal grey box design, mang. Like someone whipped up a kitchen in The Sims and just slapped it down in a rectangle room that's two spaces too big.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

That picture is like archetypal grey box design, mang. Like someone whipped up a kitchen in The Sims and just slapped it down in a rectangle room that's two spaces too big.

The worst part is, it looks like there's only just enough room between the island and the two walls for a single person (maybe a single person working with room for a second person to pass behind). It COULD be a very spacious and nice kitchen, but INSTEAD it's a tiny lovely kitchen, just wrapped around an island big enough to host a foursome on.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

hailthefish posted:

The worst part is, it looks like there's only just enough room between the island and the two walls for a single person (maybe a single person working with room for a second person to pass behind). It COULD be a very spacious and nice kitchen, but INSTEAD it's a tiny lovely kitchen, just wrapped around an island big enough to host a foursome on.

Hosting a foursome is such a pain, you have to deal with snacks and cancellations and all that garbage. It's better just to know someone who does them a lot and swing an invite.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was at a friend's house this morning and spotted this thing in the ceiling:

Firstly, yes, the ceiling really is that pink and the walls are orange. The whole house is like that. He's renting, and the price is really good for the area, so he's pretty much stuck with it.

I asked him what the thing was, he had no idea. Said it's for letting ceiling space dust in. Also, spiders.

So, obvious guess is some kind of vent. But why?

The house was built in the 1950s in south eastern Australia, so it's not HVAC and there's no filter or anything above it. It really seems to be there just to rain down a slow but steady stream of dust and spiders.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

quote:

Spider vent

Hmm.

quote:

Australia

Yup, checks out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was at a friend's house this morning and spotted this thing in the ceiling:

Firstly, yes, the ceiling really is that pink and the walls are orange. The whole house is like that. He's renting, and the price is really good for the area, so he's pretty much stuck with it.

I asked him what the thing was, he had no idea. Said it's for letting ceiling space dust in. Also, spiders.

So, obvious guess is some kind of vent. But why?

The house was built in the 1950s in south eastern Australia, so it's not HVAC and there's no filter or anything above it. It really seems to be there just to rain down a slow but steady stream of dust and spiders.

Well, if it really does open into the attic, then perhaps it's helpful in that hot air in the house can move upwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hence why I turned around, stopped, and got out to shoot it. The houses across the street are...more modest

This is amazing