Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hold the presses

BotM found

https://www.amazon.com.au/Forbidden-Thoughts-Milo-Yiannopoulos-ebook/dp/B01N5LU9C4

Milo Yiannopoulos
Vox Day
John C Wright
Brad Torgerson
Larry Correia

Plus it's free on Kindle Unlimited.

Which is still more than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hold the presses

BotM found

https://www.amazon.com.au/Forbidden-Thoughts-Milo-Yiannopoulos-ebook/dp/B01N5LU9C4

Milo Yiannopoulos
Vox Day
John C Wright
Brad Torgerson
Larry Correia

Well two people think it's good. They are the bravest two among us.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

General fiction/scifi/fantasy recommendations? Minimal criteria, I know but I just finished (what there is of) the Rothfuss's Kingkiller series based on the recommendation ("don't read it! it's not finished, you'll die!") of two coworkers. Mostly I read nonfiction + scifi, but open to whatever, just looking for an escape from the nonfiction I have going.

If you haven’t read Children of Time yet, you should.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I'm going camping next week and I'm an idiot who wants to scare myself so I was looking for basically anything that has to do with people getting lost in the woods and hosed up poo poo happening. Getting lost in the woods is one of my biggest fears. I'm thinking of something along the lines of The Blair Witch Project. College kids go into the woods, they get turned around, lose their map, weird poo poo starts happening, etc... It doesn't necessarily have to be supernatural. I watched Backcountry on Netflix a while ago and that bear scene hosed me up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I'm going camping next week and I'm an idiot who wants to scare myself so I was looking for basically anything that has to do with people getting lost in the woods and hosed up poo poo happening. Getting lost in the woods is one of my biggest fears. I'm thinking of something along the lines of The Blair Witch Project. College kids go into the woods, they get turned around, lose their map, weird poo poo starts happening, etc... It doesn't necessarily have to be supernatural. I watched Backcountry on Netflix a while ago and that bear scene hosed me up.

I loved the movie adaptation of The Ritual by Adam Nevill, so the book is probably really good.

The Terror by Dan Simmons is like 900 pages of people freezing and starving to death in the arctic and it’s very good!

Uprooted by Naomi Novik isn’t exactly horror but the woods are very antagonistic. It’s also really good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for a good non-fiction book on angels (meaning a theology book or something similar). Like biblical angels, not modern interpretations of angels. I've tried to find books about biblical, Christian angels but its always new age "how to communicate and heal with the angels" type stuff.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

tuyop posted:

I loved the movie adaptation of The Ritual by Adam Nevill, so the book is probably really good.

The Terror by Dan Simmons is like 900 pages of people freezing and starving to death in the arctic and it’s very good!

Uprooted by Naomi Novik isn’t exactly horror but the woods are very antagonistic. It’s also really good.

The Ritual looks pretty good. I'll probably pick that up and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and maybe Deliverance.

I might pick up Dark Mountain or The Woods Are Dark by Richard Laymon if I can find them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for a good non-fiction book on angels (meaning a theology book or something similar). Like biblical angels, not modern interpretations of angels. I've tried to find books about biblical, Christian angels but its always new age "how to communicate and heal with the angels" type stuff.

The Dictionary of Angels is a great resource on biblical angels. I believe the author is Gustav Davidson but I'd have to dig out the book to check.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bareback Werewolf posted:

The Ritual looks pretty good. I'll probably pick that up and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and maybe Deliverance.

I might pick up Dark Mountain or The Woods Are Dark by Richard Laymon if I can find them.

I will say if you've seen the movie version of The Ritual, the book is pretty bad in comparison. The first half of the book is great and was the inspiration for the majority of what made it into the movie. The back half ranges from mediocre to monumentally stupid, depending on your tolerance for some poorly written characters. YMMV but I kind of found the main character to be unbearable for most of the book too.

Even if you haven't seen the movie, the above still applies. You will know when you hit the part of the book I'm referring to, it's very strange and kind of comes out of left field, and doesn't pay itself off well at all. It's one of very few books I'd recommend skipping entirely in favor of the movie, as the movie chops out a bunch of the dumb poo poo and adds a plot detail that makes the whole book make way, way more sense.

As to your original question, I've been told that At Fear's Altar by Richard Gavin is pretty much what you're looking for, I haven't read it myself though.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Dictionary of Angels is a great resource on biblical angels. I believe the author is Gustav Davidson but I'd have to dig out the book to check.

Seconded. It's a small encyclopedia of angels encompassing the Bible and other religious texts. It's a good book. And thorough.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That book seems perfect! Thank you!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been working on catching up on literature the last few years and would love to dip into history for a bit. Outside of school requirements, I haven’t spent any time with it so I’m looking to start with any go-to recommendations.

Things that interest me:

-The American Revolution
-The French Revolution
-WW1
-The Russian Communist Revolution
-WW2 and Nazi Germany

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rolo posted:

I’ve been working on catching up on literature the last few years and would love to dip into history for a bit. Outside of school requirements, I haven’t spent any time with it so I’m looking to start with any go-to recommendations.

Things that interest me:

-The American Revolution
-The French Revolution
-WW1
-The Russian Communist Revolution
-WW2 and Nazi Germany

For general American history I really like the big tome biographies. They have flaws of course but they're good reading. Chernow's Hamilton, the Edmund Morris Theodore Roosevelt books especially the first, etc.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Hey everyone, I'm looking for books of any genre that are good stories of revenge. "The Count of Monte Cristo" is one of my favorite books, "Great Expectations" is as well, I liked "Stars My Destination" etc. I like the stories better when it's an extreme arc like in Monte Cristo. Alternatively, I am also looking for recommendations on good books about resistance fighters; non-fiction or fiction is fine. A combination of resistance fighters + revenge tale would be excellent

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Both of the people who most recently asked for recommendations might enjoy Murder in the Métro: Laetitia Toureaux and the Cagoule in 1930s France by Gayle K. Brunelle and Annette Finley-Croswhite.

Publishers Weekly posted:

On May 16, 1937, Laetitia Toureaux, a 29-year-old Italian-born factory worker, was murdered in an otherwise empty first-class compartment on a Paris métro train. The case has never been solved, and the case files were ordered sealed for 101 years. In this fascinating book, historians Brunelle (California State, Fullerton) and Finley-Croswhite (Old Dominion) reveal that Toureaux was no mere factory worker. Ambitious but naïve, she was involved, both personally and politically, with a secret, extremist fascist group known as the Cagoule; she also worked for a detective agency and was an informer for both the French police and the Italian secret service. The authors look at the bitterly fractious world of 1930s French politics and explore in depth both Toureaux's enigmatic life and the press's portrayal of her as a loose woman and social climber. The authors also delve into the violent history of the Cagoule, which broke away from the better-known Action Française. Finally, they provide a speculative but strong plausible case for who murdered Toureaux and why. Brunelle and Finley-Croswhite have produced an exceptionally fine work that is well-researched and documented and consistently compelling.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MarksMan posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for books of any genre that are good stories of revenge. "The Count of Monte Cristo" is one of my favorite books, "Great Expectations" is as well, I liked "Stars My Destination" etc. I like the stories better when it's an extreme arc like in Monte Cristo. Alternatively, I am also looking for recommendations on good books about resistance fighters; non-fiction or fiction is fine. A combination of resistance fighters + revenge tale would be excellent

Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami? No resistance fighters in that one, but the tendency to push the entire revenge angle to the extremes is rather strong

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MarksMan posted:

Sabatini is a good go to.

Scaramouche and Captain Blood especially.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you don't mind it being a good ol' 19th century swashbuckling romp with all the problems that entails, you might want to take a look at the works of Emilio Salgari (The Black Corsair would be a typical example). You'll find revenges and pirates aplenty.

e: Can't vouch for quality, last time I read that I was ten.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 7, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MarksMan posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for books of any genre that are good stories of revenge. "The Count of Monte Cristo" is one of my favorite books, "Great Expectations" is as well, I liked "Stars My Destination" etc. I like the stories better when it's an extreme arc like in Monte Cristo.

Have you read Carrie or Hamlet?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MarksMan posted:

Does revenge have to be exacted or does it just have to be a revenge oriented story? I love revenge stories and found the Revenant to be excellent because of the sheer lengths the main character goes through to get his revenge

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
can't believe they cut the part where he fucks the bear from the film adaptation

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Does revenge have to be exacted or does it just have to be a revenge oriented story? I love revenge stories and found the Revenant to be excellent because of the sheer lengths the main character goes through to get his revenge

I don't think you need to spoil that given that the full title of the book calls it "A Novel of Revenge"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think you need to spoil that given that the full title of the book calls it "A Novel of Revenge"

I thought my first sentence might spoil some of the story, so I decided to err on the side of caution.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I need to get good at making people interested in my characters very fast. What fiction books do that? Short story or flash fiction collections a plus.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm going to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore soon. Any recommendations for books (fiction and nonfiction) set in these cities? I'm not particular about genre so long as either city is an important part of the work. Modern time period might be better if it means I'm more likely to recognise things I've read about when I'm there.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Any books out there where North America is imagined (either alt. universe or post apocalyptic) as a feudal / medieval society.

Also, looking for good fiction incorporating elements of gnosticism. Pretty vague, but im open to anything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For the second one... Foucault's Pendulum, technically, I suppose, depending on what you consider gnosticism and its themes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TommyGun85 posted:

Any books out there where North America is imagined (either alt. universe or post apocalyptic) as a feudal / medieval society.

Also, looking for good fiction incorporating elements of gnosticism. Pretty vague, but im open to anything.

Whats that catholic scifi book that does this?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats that catholic scifi book that does this?

Canticle for Leibowitz has some feudal stuff in it, is that what you're thinking of?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Canticle for Leibowitz has some feudal stuff in it, is that what you're thinking of?

Thanks!

Not what I was looking for, but I just read the description and it sounds really good so I'll give it a go.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 12, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TommyGun85 posted:

For the second, the Valis Trilogy by PK Dick comes to mind

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TommyGun85 posted:

cormac mccarthy's blood meridian

a lot of people like brian hodge's stuff, which is gnostic-lovecraftian horror, but i think it's garbage. ymmv.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend any good mysteries - noir stories, I suppose - where the puzzle or the crime is ostensibly solved, but you're deliberately left feeling that you don't really have all the answers?

I like Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, James Ellroy, they sometimes do that sort of thing.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can anyone recommend any good mysteries - noir stories, I suppose - where the puzzle or the crime is ostensibly solved, but you're deliberately left feeling that you don't really have all the answers?

I like Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, James Ellroy, they sometimes do that sort of thing.

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was that adapted into the Clint Eastwood movie?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What's the best book on the French Revolution for a reader whose knowledge of the events is cursory? I've heard Citizens by Simon Schama is good but I'm looking for something a little more concise than 950 pages...

edit: Now just seeing that there's a history book thread, but I'll still take any suggestions here!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody got a spooky story (witch, vampire, or other) with a pre-industrial, rural type setting?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
nathaniel hawthorne's young goodman brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Devil in a Forest by Gene Wolfe.