Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A bunch of the guest scenarios are fine, or good. I certainly wouldn't write them all off.

It's interesting but has one huge problem: since there's no enemy in the chest room if you open it late you may not be able to loot the chest before finishing the scenario. The chest is basically the reward for doing the scenario and it's a cheap gotcha.

Scenario 76 spoilers: We thought of that, too, but the victory condition is also to "reveal all rooms," so the only possible gotcha is if you've killed off all the enemies and then the last person to go in a round breaks down the wall after already moving. Otherwise, you have the remainder of the round for somebody to move onto the chest and loot it. As with most scenarios, it works better with 3-4 players than with 2.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My favorite example of poorly designed quest mechanics are the ones that make them potentially unwinnable without certain cards/classes/items.

Scenario 88 So the goal is to kill an elite guy who drops a goal chest and then bring it to the other side of the room. Sounds fine, except there's a current because it's an underwater level, so you get pushed back one hex each round (and take damage if you can't go backwards). Except you also get -1 to all your movements as a scenario effect. And then if you're carrying the item you also get -2 to all your moves. That's -3 to all moves and you go backwards one hex per turn. Oh that move 4 that's generally considered a good move? It's a move zero. Hope you brought boots or a scoundrel or maybe a spellweaver because otherwise you're not beating it! (Granted you can negate the current by being behind an obstacle and the -1 move IS a scenario effect but not every class gets to ignore those). We absolutely cheated and ignored the -2 move from carrying the quest item because that's dumb as hell.

Scenario 88 spoilers: The scenario doesn't end until you deliver the claw, so the only timer is exhaustion. There's some ambiguity about whether the current continues after all the Lurkers die, as you would no longer draw a Lurker initiative card after that point. But let's suppose the worst-case scenario: no characters ignore negative scenario effects, and nobody with a Move 6 loss card.

First off, and this should be obvious after reading the special rules, you need to kill the Lurker King as close to his starting hex as possible to minimize the travel time. That's actually very important to the scenario design, as otherwise you can just wait in the small room (which is not subject to the current) and kill the enemies one at a time in the doorway. Once that's done, let's suppose that characters have brought loot cards (which, granted, you might not on the first play), and don't have movement past Move 4. Let's also assume that the current continues post-Lurker deaths. You have several ways to proceed: move 1 hex toward the crystal and position yourself so that an obstacle blocks the tide; position another PC to block your movement from the tide (you can choose who moves due to the current, so the claw carrier bounces off the other character before they move; move 1 hex toward the crystal and have another character closer to the crystal play a loot and bounce off of you. In theory, it takes no more than 10 turns to cross the room in this way, although in practice that could be too long as you'll need to keep short resting to cycle back Move 4/Loot cards. Having a bigger move, a move-booster, a character immune to negative scenario effects (of which there are plenty), or a character who can cycle your big move card back without resting will help.

But the key, as I suggested, is that you have to rush the Lurker King. If you kill him 5-6 hexes away from the crystal, you're in good shape. Note too that you can initially pick up the claw with a loot card, meaning you could be 1-2 hexes closer to the crystal when first taking it.

I agree it can turn into a boring puzzle, but it is a puzzle and it does have solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There's one where it's "does everyone have some good movement cards and jump or maybe invisibility? Okay, you win."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The worst scenario we've done is early on in the main campaign (11/12, the Town Square scenarios) and that's one Isaac did. None of the side scenarios have been anywhere near as bad.

Narsham posted:

Scenario 76 spoilers: We thought of that, too, but the victory condition is also to "reveal all rooms," so the only possible gotcha is if you've killed off all the enemies and then the last person to go in a round breaks down the wall after already moving. Otherwise, you have the remainder of the round for somebody to move onto the chest and loot it. As with most scenarios, it works better with 3-4 players than with 2.

That is exactly what happened to us. We dropped a house rule on the problem so loving quickly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That is exactly what happened to us. We dropped a house rule on the problem so loving quickly.

Whenever it seems weird we've tended towards house rules.
The scenario where you've got to kill 3 trees that constantly spawn oozes - anything that destroys obstacles kills them instantly is how we played it. The book doesn't say otherwise and it feels absolutely logical. I really don't have a CLUE how that one's possible otherwise.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's stated that obstacles with HP are treated as enemies rather than obstacles for the purposes of those cards. If not there, then in some Isaac-approved FAQ on BGG. We still let our Cragheart toss boss obstacles at enemies though.

That scenario is pretty easy if you have loads of single target damage and don't get hosed by enemy AI draws in the first handful of turns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Room-wide effects are also pretty great.

But it's a scenario that depends a lot on playercount and group makeup.

Taear posted:

The scenario where you've got to kill 3 trees that constantly spawn oozes - anything that destroys obstacles kills them instantly is how we played it. The book doesn't say otherwise

Rulebook, Page 34 posted:

Destroying obstacles: When an obstacle is specified as having hit points in the scenario book, it can be attacked and will be destroyed and removed from the board when it drops below 1 hit point. Obstacles with hit points can only be destroyed through damage and not through other character abilities. These obstacles are considered enemies for all ability purposes and have an initiative of 99 for the purpose of summon focusing, but they are immune to all negative conditions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Room-wide effects are also pretty great.

But it's a scenario that depends a lot on playercount and group makeup.

I'm absolutely fine with doing it the way we did it and think it worked out better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That scenario is pretty easy if you have loads of single target damage and don't get hosed by enemy AI draws in the first handful of turns.

We absolutely didn't have either of those (the ooze drew splitting three times in fact)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Oozes splitting early aren't inherently bad. You're going to cap out on oozes anyway, and oozes doing nothing but hurting themselves for several turns gives you the opportunity to clear out the imps (who can completely gently caress you) and nuke the trees

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Incoming pile of words!

We did a LOT this weekend. 2 retirements last night and 2 new classes unlocked. We also hit Prosperity 4!

My Mindthief unlocked Cthulu and WOW that looks interesting and I was not expecting anything like that. Our Two Minis retired right after and unlocked Music Note. It's about what we expected but we couldn't figure out why it's considered so powerful. I'm going to read guides on both classes today for fun.

As fun as Cthulu looks, I ended up creating an Angry Face and I don't regret it. It's incredibly powerful and fun and I really like it. Starting out at level 4 with a legacy perk helps a lot. I already have really cool stuff I can do and my attack deck isn't garbage. Even better, my new personal quest will unlock Lightning Bolts!

Hilariously, the Two Minis player liked Two Minis so much that he started up another one because he wasn't interested in any of the other classes. Plus he got to essentially start a new one at level 4 and with 2 legacy perks. He loves it. He also got to start with an enhancement from the previous Two Minis. Oh and his new personal quest will unlock Triforce which he's really hype about because he's a huge Zelda fan. Yes we all know the class probably won't have anything to do with Zelda in any way but we're still excited to see what it is eventually.

So now our party is Sun, Two Minis, and Angry Face all at level 4, each with at least one legacy perk. My wife is still figuring out how she wants to play Sun and I'm trying really hard not to say anything that might influence her. In my solo campaign, Sun is hardcore tank with That One Awesome Enhancement but my wife isn't using that card much. She really can't realistically use that card now because with the current party composition she pretty much has to be the door opener and she needs to be as fast as she can. It's interesting to see how she uses the class differently and I already learned something from her.

Are there any good gear recommendations for Angry Face? With my starting 75 gold all I bought was a minor stamina potion and Boots of Striding. I couldn't find anything else in the store that seemed like it was worth the money so I just bought a 50g enhancement +1 damage to the top of Swift Trickery and now I'm saving for a couple items that will be situationally useful but I think will be important shield ignoring bow and the bomb that turns a single target ranged attack into a triangle AoE. I loved that thing with my Mindthief. The reputation discounts on shop items are SO AWESOME for brand new characters.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 9, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Angry face items: that bomb was MVP for my angry face! I would recommend the jump boots since your moves are already pretty big tbh.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

Angry face items: that bomb was MVP for my angry face! I would recommend the jump boots since your moves are already pretty big tbh.

Thanks! Also I took the level 4 card with the non-loss Move 5 jump on the bottom so I probably won't need the jump boots.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks! Also I took the level 4 card with the non-loss Move 5 jump on the bottom so I probably won't need the jump boots.

there are good prosperity 5 boots that I liked and a helmet though I can't remember if it's prosperity 4 or 5. You'll know it when you see it for sure.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

there are good prosperity 5 boots that I liked and a helmet though I can't remember if it's prosperity 4 or 5. You'll know it when you see it for sure.

I saw the prosperity 4 helmet and Did Not Like It At All. If I buy a helmet at this point it will be the Empowering Talisman but because Angry Face has 12 friggin' cards the minor stamina potion is all I should really need in most scenarios but if I ever need more turns for some reason that's what I'll get.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Why didn't you like it? It pairs very well with any multiple attack and Angry Face has a very solid one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

Why didn't you like it? It pairs very well with any multiple attack and Angry Face has a very solid one.

Well, Angry Face's best attacks are already range 5 and I've never had a problem getting into range with any of his great move cards, especially since I have Boots of Striding. I don't ever see myself needing it unless I need to shoot through a door or something but again he moves fast enough on his own that I don't see myself using it. If I ever find myself needing extra range I would rather just enhance the range on his bread and butter ranged attacks. Also since it's a refreshable item instead of a passive bonus and with 12 cards he doesn't need to long rest often. I'm pretty confident that it would just sit there unused if I bought it. Definitely getting the bomb first. I love the mental image of him notching up an arrow with a grenade attached to it like in the old Rambo movies. :laugh:

Oh and I also didn't take the card you're talking about :)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh and I also didn't take the card you're talking about :)

That's your problem! I've cleared out whole rooms with that bad boy and (lightning spoilers) it felt good to have coming off of Flurry of Axes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

That's your problem! I've cleared out whole rooms with that bad boy and (lightning spoilers) it felt good to have coming off of Flurry of Axes

I've seen many arguments for that card and at some point I may "skip" a level and take that one instead if I find myself needing it frequently (I don't but I could be wrong). We also have a respec house rule but nobody's used it yet. If I play a few scenarios and decide I took the dud I'll just switch.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I absolutely skipped level 5 and got both level 3 cards on angry face. That item Volatile Bomb is an absolute all-star on him. Use it with Fresh Kill or Race to the Grave.

Non item angry face chat I can't believe he has a 12 card hand given how good his kit is. My wife and son are tired of me saying things like "okay I Doom him then attack for 7 with advantage" or "so I leap in, chug a potion, then attack the whole room".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Are there any good gear recommendations for Angry Face? With my starting 75 gold all I bought was a minor stamina potion and Boots of Striding. I couldn't find anything else in the store that seemed like it was worth the money so I just bought a 50g enhancement +1 damage to the top of Swift Trickery and now I'm saving for a couple items that will be situationally useful but I think will be important shield ignoring bow and the bomb that turns a single target ranged attack into a triangle AoE. I loved that thing with my Mindthief. The reputation discounts on shop items are SO AWESOME for brand new characters.

On my Angry Face I spent most of my starting cash on +1 range to two of my attacks (Swift Trickery and Fresh Kill) taking them up to range 5. I'm not convinced the shield-ignoring bow is that great; your attacks hit so hard that small shields aren't a big deal, and you've Race to the Grave and Detonation for small shields.

I haven't bought the Bomb yet and I probably won't; not facing that many hordes of enemies at the moment (2P and a few boss scenarios) and most of my attacks are built around bonuses vs Doomed targets. But it's a really nice item

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 10, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just realized -- doors count as difficult terrain / cost two movement points?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just realized -- doors count as difficult terrain / cost two movement points?

No.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On my Angry Face I spent most of my starting cash on +1 range to two of my attacks (Swift Trickery and Fresh Kill) taking them up to range 5. I'm not convinced the shield-ignoring bow is that great; your attacks hit so hard that small shields aren't a big deal, and you've Race to the Grave and Detonation for small shields.

I haven't bought the Bomb yet and I probably won't; not facing that many hordes of enemies at the moment (2P and a few boss scenarios) and most of my attacks are built around bonuses vs Doomed targets. But it's a really nice item

I'm looking (Angry Face) at the +range ones as well. The shield ignoring bow is useless, if you get a bunch of shield, just bring Expose and use it as a Doom instead. Or Race to the Grave, or the later one that just kills in 3 turns. The Bomb is well worth picking up, and bringing along another hand (maybe a shield, or a wand if you have the right one available for your party) is then an option.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

They have the little purple outline though?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doors are blue, difficult terrain is purple.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doors are blue, difficult terrain is purple.

ok, yah, it was just the printing on the scenario I was looking at .

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

We beat Scenario 48 on the very last action with 1 character surviving because they went invisible. What a hell slog.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

How much table talk do you have when putting down cards/after flipping cards up and executing actions? We typically have some discussion beforehand, and then quite a long talk after everything is revealed and all the actions are known. I ask because one of our players brought up recently that with our new party configuration (Triforce, Eclipse, Cthulu and Music Note, which he is playing) he thought the game had gotten too easy. Spoilers on those classes below:

The combination of Soothsinger cursing all the enemies and the disadvantage song meant that we were rarely getting hit when we were attacked, and the large amount of status effects among the party meant we weren't even getting attacked that often. This was also exacerbated by the fact that we plan our turns very carefully so quite often we can end up with no one being in range of the enemies to attack us even if they could. I kind of disagree - the Soothsinger's support gimmick seems to focus around preventing damage rather than healing it, so the fact we weren't being hit was intentional. If we do take damage, it's quite hard to heal it off, especially with the Plagueherald poisoning us. I'm of the opinion that the reason it's feeling too easy is more because we're over-planning rather than our combination of characters being broken, although I know the Soothsinger is supposed to be very strong, maybe the strongest class.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Depends on the classes, tbh. Some have massive amounts of flexibility, some have extremely little. I've been playing the latter recently so there's rarely much discussion about my turns.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
We're playing circles and music note 2 player and it's super strong. As for table talk we barely need to discuss what we're doing but that's probably because we've got our rhythm down. I just let her know which monsters get the privelage of attacking this turn.

Soothsinger's incredibly strong both in terms of mass disable and her perks. I actually just run Power Ballad all the time (huge synergy with circles), and use the bottom of disorienting dirge because again it's hugely strong with summons.

It sounds like you have an ideal party in terms of synergy and status effects. Curse is stupidly strong and you have the three best cursers in the game plus disorienting dirge to make them flip twice as often. Who cares about wasting curses when you can toss five more in on any given round?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah Music Note can break the game over its knee if built and played well.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
It also fits in with any group size and class comp. I had to shelf angry face in 2 player because it just didn't work out (but does amazing in our 3 player with a frontliner).

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My music note currently notches more kills per scenario than our Cragheart, Two-Minis, or Three Spears. I think the last scenario we played I had as many kills as all of them combined. I'm truly sad I'll be retiring soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The only problem with playing Gloomhaven during a pre-hurricane party is that after about the fourth glass of hurricane punch you start to forget which card go where

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We retired our tinkerer and unlocked our first class tonight, welcoming the Cthulhu-face class into the party.

First, the scenario
It was ... really really easy? We kept thinking we missed something, but we controlled the bears into oblivion, without them even attacking. And then we got a good bottleneck going around the door, letting the Tinkerer unload his big loss AoEs at the infesters or whatever they were while the Brute tanked some hits. It was over within an hour. I feel bad we didn't up the encounter level ahead of time. We kept thinking there was something we were missing, but nope. Our only question was whether the rest of us could at least debuff the infesters, but the scenario was clear - we just couldn't damage them.

Second, the character
Plague Herald? Cool. Does the class still play well after the revision? I am reading about some serious nerfs because the class was insanely strong, previously. He's giving it a go anyways.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Second, the character
Plague Herald? Cool. Does the class still play well after the revision? I am reading about some serious nerfs because the class was insanely strong, previously. He's giving it a go anyways.

Dr. Arthur Bugman III, as mine was called, went with the curse heavy side of things and it was very fun. It becomes super strong at level 7 when enemies take 3 damage any time they flip a curse, but otherwise he's still really cool. You don't do a ton of damage but you curse and poison everybody, throw out wind and dark elements (super strong synergy with Eclipse!), and once in a while your giant AoE stun comes in handy. He has the weakest XP generation of any class I've played, I'd typically end with 2-6 xp! It is really fun to fly over obstacles, which came in really handy a couple times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I finally retired my Cragheart and unlocked the Moon.
We'd set up for a scenario and then our city event unlocked a sidequest. I'm so glad to finally get to retire even though I did enjoy the Cragheart a lot.

Moon spoiler.
I really didn't expect it to be what it is. Nice to see what an Aesther looks like!

Now I've got music note, Angry Face, Cthulu, Rings and Triforce left. I'm interested to see what's coming next and so glad I can ignore sidequests for a bit.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Two Minis painted. I just need to put a wash on the bases and seal them.

https://i.imgur.com/EvEZ3Md.jpg

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 13, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Your spoiler tag is broken for me, may want to put it behind a link instead of embedding

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Finished painting Sun. This one was fun to paint, I like doing armor, even if I'm not that great at it

https://i.imgur.com/PBvbYzl.jpg

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Two Minis painted. I just need to put a wash on the bases and seal them.

https://i.imgur.com/EvEZ3Md.jpg

You might want to be a bit more specific here because it's hard to tell if you've painted two minis or are referring to the two minis class!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

Taear posted:

You might want to be a bit more specific here because it's hard to tell if you've painted two minis or are referring to the two minis class!

Capitalizing the word Minis makes it clear that it's the latter.