Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

there wolf posted:

That's because you mostly hear about when HOAs try to do stupid and terrible things.

True. I won't refute that some people are drawn to HOAs because they can dictate poo poo like petty bastards, but you hear the worst why they to to mandate dumb poo poo like "leave your garage doors open 24/7 so we know you're not illegally housing people in the garage". No one gives a poo poo when they patch asphalt or replace leaky irrigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

No HOA should be involved in anything aesthetic ever, just repairs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sloppy posted:

No HOA should be involved in anything aesthetic ever, just repairs.

but my house prices

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

From what I’ve heard, pretty much anytime an HOA loses everybody wins.

Only until assessments are increased to cover the legal fees and settlements from losing their court cases.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I am moving to a dry region and my main requirement is getting a house where I can minimize the amount of grass I have to care for. Neighborhoods with HOAs requiring lush green lawns in the desert should be illegal.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

HOAs are bad. All HOAs that are currently good are just waiting for the board members to change and then they will be bad.

So many stories of "Oh yeah HOAs are bad except mine is good they don't do all that petty bullshit" and then the board changes and oops now they do nothing but petty bullshit.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
If I wanted to live where someone has the ability to dictate what my house and yard looks like I'd just go back to the loving military ffs. All HOAs are bad.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

shortspecialbus posted:

HOAs are bad. All HOAs that are currently good are just waiting for the board members to change and then they will be bad.

So many stories of "Oh yeah HOAs are bad except mine is good they don't do all that petty bullshit" and then the board changes and oops now they do nothing but petty bullshit.

My HOA is good because they were harmless and only existed to get the road graded once in a while, all the bylaws were pretty explicitly ignored, and everyone got disinterested to the point they forgot to actually meet for like four years and they forgot to file taxes for two years so eventually the state outright terminated the thing and now it hasn’t existed for a year and nobody has even noticed, last time we needed to grade the road one guy just went door to door asking each person to cut a check to the plow company for their portion.

tl;dr: A+ ideal HOA accidentally disbanded itself through complacency and nobody even noticed.

Granted, the ex-HOA in question was only 6 homes.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
So your HOA was good because they didn't do anything and don't exist anymore?

:thunk:

That's like saying Hitler was good because at least he's dead now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Results-oriented.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bad Munki posted:

tl;dr: A+ ideal HOA accidentally disbanded itself through complacency and nobody even noticed..
That's gonna suck real bad when someone goes to sell their home and oops you can't because taxes haven't been filed.
Or a water/Sewer main breaks and everyone is like "well, it's loving up Bob's lawn but gently caress if I'll pay the $1200 of my part to fix it"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Queen Combat posted:

It is/was good because it successfully failed before it went rotten.

FilthyImp posted:

That's gonna suck real bad when someone goes to sell their home and oops you can't because taxes haven't been filed.
Or a water/Sewer main breaks and everyone is like "well, it's loving up Bob's lawn but gently caress if I'll pay the $1200 of my part to fix it"
I don't think there's a tax issue on individual properties there. The corp failed to file taxes so it was disbanded by the state, but individuals are still compelled to pay their own property taxes, of course.

As for the latter part, failing infrastructure, that's always a possibility in non-HOA neighborhoods. Utility demarcations still apply as usual, so it's business as usual there.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 15, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Queen Combat posted:

:thunk:

That's crazy, everyone knows Hitler was good because he killed Hitler.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The best HOA is the township, because they have very reasonable code/rules, the state oversees them to make sure no mini-Hitlers take over, and I already have to pay them taxes anyway.

Even though the HOA where I used to live (townhouse) was fairly toothless, it sure is nice to not have someone walking around my property uninvited to inspect and later getting strongly worded letters/daily fine threats about the smallest sections of peeling paint on door trim.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

The one nice thing about the multi roofed development monsters where I currently live is that they look AWESOME painted in bright, garish key west colors. And the hoa cant stop us

plx

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our neighborhood association doesn't regulate house appearance at all (it's chaos here) but we do have to clean the gunk out of the irrigation channels 3x year, and eat free ice cream at the summer festival (coincidence???!!)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My dad pulled a coup in his HOA by running on basically a platform of "don't bother me with bullshit and I'll do you the same favor" and he's good enough at motivating people that he pulled it off. poo poo's much more mellow there these days.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

peanut posted:

Our neighborhood association doesn't regulate house appearance at all (it's chaos here) but we do have to clean the gunk out of the irrigation channels 3x year, and eat free ice cream at the summer festival (coincidence???!!)
How much ice cream are you required to eat at the festival?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Where I live this HOA nonsense is very rare. There's a few leasehold developments where you might get the freeholder organisation trying to uphold standards, but the vast majority of this stuff is dealt with by local government offices who are just there to push paper rather than actually nanny your houses. If you have to make a major change to your property, you have to finalize plans with an architect or whoever, publish those plans somewhere your neighbors can see them, then give some time for them to complain to the local authority if they must. Unless there is some safety rule, historic building preservation rule or zoning law that you're breaking or some absolutely dire reason why the local authority wants to make more work for itself they just go "eh, gently caress it" and you can do what you want.

I like that it's handled by paper pushers and not by concerned homeowners.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Azza Bamboo posted:

Where I live this HOA nonsense is very rare. There's a few leasehold developments where you might get the freeholder organisation trying to uphold standards, but the vast majority of this stuff is dealt with by local government offices who are just there to push paper rather than actually nanny your houses. If you have to make a major change to your property, you have to finalize plans with an architect or whoever, publish those plans somewhere your neighbors can see them, then give some time for them to complain to the local authority if they must. Unless there is some safety rule, historic building preservation rule or zoning law that you're breaking or some absolutely dire reason why the local authority wants to make more work for itself they just go "eh, gently caress it" and you can do what you want.

I like that it's handled by paper pushers and not by concerned homeowners.
If only all bureaucracies were so wonderfully inefficient as to actually be useful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's interesting and terrible about design panels and developers in my city is that they are mostly never from here, they have no idea about the local design context, but they still are the ones writing and following various guidelines to try to "respect local heritage". But it's become this odd generic heritage style that isn't local, it's just what people from elsewhere think of as generically "heritage style" which to them means brick. So for example the old historic neighbourhood I grew up in was full of big old mansions and manor houses all built within 20-30 years of each other around the turn of the century so followed the styles of the time. There was a lot of stone, a lot of half-timbering, a lot of rich wood and leaded glass, and sometimes some nice wood siding when they couldn't afford stone. So, what are developers pushing and the city design panels happy with in the name of "respecting herritage" ? Red loving brick. If a project is too modern looking the city or local neighbourhood groups will tell it to look more herritagey, which invariably means randomly slapping some cheap red brick veneer on it.

It makes me upset, I'd rather just not have any design rules and let people build what ever they think is pretty and nice rather than mandating a false history to blend in with a heritage that doesn't exist.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Zereth posted:

How much ice cream are you required to eat at the festival?

Each child or adult is entitled to:

1 ice cream cone
1 cup shaved ice
1 small cup popcorn
1 small stick cotton candy
3-5 bouncy balls, caught in a baby pool

If you want a raffle prize, you have to stay til the very end! They'll call a different number if no one steps forward!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

peanut posted:

Each child or adult is entitled to:

1 ice cream cone
1 cup shaved ice
1 small cup popcorn
1 small stick cotton candy
3-5 bouncy balls, caught in a baby pool

If you want a raffle prize, you have to stay til the very end! They'll call a different number if no one steps forward!

Does everyone sing “Must be present to wiiiin”?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The main event was a very simplfied bon-odori circle dance to Dancing Hero.

https://youtu.be/J2ntFFPwNUw

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

The main event was a very simplfied bon-odori circle dance to Dancing Hero.

https://youtu.be/J2ntFFPwNUw

I've always found something wonderful about japanese pop music. I think it's the same reason when I watched anime that I'd prefer subs to dubs; it doesn't matter if they're not great voice actors, or for the music it doesn't matter if it's lovely lyrics, I can just enjoy the meaning of the script or the melody of the song.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My parents actually organized and created an HOA, on account of being so far out in the sticks that the local government was not going to do things like maintain roads and repair infrastructure. So they have an HOA basically to serve as a municipal government in those regards.

Basically you shouldn't need an HOA if you have an actual functional government, which goes part of the way to explaining why they are so much more common in the US.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

My parents actually organized and created an HOA, on account of being so far out in the sticks that the local government was not going to do things like maintain roads and repair infrastructure. So they have an HOA basically to serve as a municipal government in those regards.

Basically you shouldn't need an HOA if you have an actual functional government, which goes part of the way to explaining why they are so much more common in the US.

I think another reason they're not in e.g. the UK is that there's a much tighter association of "states" and regional governments that all follow centralised rules, so there's less freedom to concoct arbitrary rules and bylaws that are either more lax or more strict than the ones shared by everyone around the country, for better or worse.

That combined with your example leaves little room for small groups to form demanding your car be blue not red, outside of private developments.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

My understanding is that most HOAs in the US are set up by developers who put down a large block of houses all at once. The HOA is really there to protect their investment as they sell the units off piecemeal (which probably explains why the aesthetic rules are so onerous), and they really don't give a poo poo about it after the last unit is sold. The HOA, in the most common cases, isn't serving any significant governmental function.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The common phrases like "This lot shall be owned and occupied by people of the Caucasian race only" in the original deeds, alongside the other stuff, is pretty suggestive of where HOAs came from.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My understanding is that most HOAs in the US are set up by developers who put down a large block of houses all at once. The HOA is really there to protect their investment as they sell the units off piecemeal (which probably explains why the aesthetic rules are so onerous), and they really don't give a poo poo about it after the last unit is sold. The HOA, in the most common cases, isn't serving any significant governmental function.

That is part of the reason why they are established, and very often run by the developer until the last house is sold. The other reason is that many of these developments have received zoning variances that require the developer/development to maintain things like roads - which may or may not get "dedicated" i.e. turned over to the municipality later - that need maintenance and plowing and functional common areas that need inspection and upkeep (like drainage basins). Essentially the municipalities are pawning off liabilities to the developer in exchange for the zoning variance they need, and the developer is pawning these liabilities off to the residents.

Reading the chain of title and associated documents for development houses can be pretty drat entertaining. I didn't buy an otherwise perfect for us house because of some shenannigans like this. The HOA was disolved, but the drainage basin was supposed to be insured and maintained by the HOA which wasn't happening - then I found the section that put this liability on the owner of the specific property I was looking at if the HOA wasn't handling it. I noped right the gently caress out of there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The primary reason that HOA's exist here is *because* of the government. The cities and tiwns all require the developer to put in community green spaces and tot lots (i.e. parks) but the municipality doesn't want to maintain them, so an HOA is the only option.

In my community the landscaping + water and maintenance of the common areas is about 90% of the budget, with the management company and taxes being most of the rest.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Locator posted:

The primary reason that HOA's exist here is *because* of the government. The cities and tiwns all require the developer to put in community green spaces and tot lots (i.e. parks) but the municipality doesn't want to maintain them, so an HOA is the only option.

In my community the landscaping + water and maintenance of the common areas is about 90% of the budget, with the management company and taxes being most of the rest.

idk where here is but often this was done for segregation, since the municipality would be forced to allow integration post civil rights movement; also with churches

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Here in my case is the Phoenix area in Arizona.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I like my HOA so I admit to being part of the problem. We were not within any city limits and our county basically said “see you in 20 years” for road resurfacing (holes not quite big enough to cause loss of life) so we changed our budget around to get a couple road issues fixed. Other than that they maintain common areas and cover insurance for townhomes.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A normal suburban home...

But at it's heart lies a terrible secret!

The Winchester Mild Perplexity House I need to confused some ghosts but I don't want to spend a lot of money...

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

there wolf posted:

A normal suburban home...

But at it's heart lies a terrible secret!

The Winchester Mild Perplexity House I need to confused some ghosts but I don't want to spend a lot of money...

From the listing.

cursed image

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I don’t have a good HoA reason for existing, but on one of the subdivisions my mom worked on, a homeowner started filing complaints with the HoA about the mailboxes that the developer was installing while the last few homes were being built. The same developer that wrote the design rules... It is always good to sell the last lots and be done with an HoA, as you get progressively fewer votes as you sell off the lots and have to listen to single-family owners more and more.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Queen Combat posted:

From the listing.

cursed image
I'd party with that skeleton.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I feel like this image is yelling at me.

Queen Combat posted:

From the listing.

cursed image

da share z0ne