Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want the Emperor to become a Warp-god because that means there would be Imperial Daemons.

I mean there are. Legion of the dammed, saints, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

D-Pad posted:

I mean there are. Legion of the dammed, saints, etc.

The Legion of the Damned are Space Marines who got lost in the Warp, got kind of weird, and now just show up on battlefields randomly, right? And Saints are people. Maybe being used by the Emperor or granted abilities or visions by him, but still people. I mean full on, a piece of the Emperor made manifest in our dimension through magic, Daemons.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

D-Pad posted:

The demons in the webway were an infinite supply because Magnus ripped open a hole to the warp. It doesn't matter how badass they fought they could never hold it indefinitely. The Emperor needed time to inact the ultimate sanction.

My headcanon is emps is so powerful he will default ascend to a warp God if he dies. If that happens humanity is mostly on it's own with no astronomican while emps is sucked into the great game which I believe he couldn't ignore same as the others. He wants to avoid that at all costs. The throne is only slightly better, but he took it. Only when he had no other option though.

All in universe evidence suggests his ascension would grant him dominion over human souls like slanesh and the eldar which seems baaaad.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Legion of the Damned are Space Marines who got lost in the Warp, got kind of weird, and now just show up on battlefields randomly, right? And Saints are people. Maybe being used by the Emperor or granted abilities or visions by him, but still people. I mean full on, a piece of the Emperor made manifest in our dimension through magic, Daemons.

Calling them people is a bit of a stretch given how they can appear and what they can do, dont you think?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was an audio drama about them and the Raven Guard that wasn't bad. But I can't remember reading anything about them

edit: I looked it up, it was actually about the Brazen Minotaurs. Still good tho

I'll give it a listen, thanks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like the angel that appears to Larkin?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want the Emperor to become a Warp-god because that means there would be Imperial Daemons.

Sir have you heard the good news about the Legion of the Damned

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Saints are people.

*carefully peers around for Inquisitors* yep, that's Celestine, extremely human, not a self-perpetuating empyrean thoughtform at all, no sirree

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 15, 2018

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Zasze posted:

All in universe evidence suggests his ascension would grant him dominion over human souls like slanesh and the eldar which seems baaaad.

Seems good actully

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zasze posted:

Actually sounds way better than being devoured by demons or rotting in the hell that is the warp, which is what happens now.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ahh, ok. That makes sense.

I like the idea of different galaxies having different sets of chaos gods.

Maybe they can all have a fight one day.

But as someone mentioned the nids, don't they, and the necrons, present an existential threat?

I heard somewhere that we aren't the first galaxy to get nomed, so maybe we are the last galaxy with chaos gods?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
There's plenty of existential threats in the 40k universe. nids and necrons as mentioned. Also Chaos or orks if they were to ever get a big enough WAAAGH going. Even the tau given their rapid rate of technological advancement if left alone long enough could start rivaling necron tech while still having the ability to reproduce.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

notaspy posted:

Ahh, ok. That makes sense.

I like the idea of different galaxies having different sets of chaos gods.

Maybe they can all have a fight one day.

But as someone mentioned the nids, don't they, and the necrons, present an existential threat?

I heard somewhere that we aren't the first galaxy to get nomed, so maybe we are the last galaxy with chaos gods?
I remember seeing somewhere that the nids may actually be cyclical, and we've been nomed before.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

LotD are straight up ghosts/daemons at this point. They don't just show up, they materialize and vanish. On a similar note are those ferrymen SMs (whose name escapes me) who appear and help guide the Black Legion out of the warp.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

berzerkmonkey posted:

LotD are straight up ghosts/daemons at this point. They don't just show up, they materialize and vanish. On a similar note are those ferrymen SMs (whose name escapes me) who appear and help guide the Black Legion out of the warp.

You speak irrelevancies.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Zasze posted:

Look at this heretic. Those souls rightfully belong to him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've retconned a lot of the illuminati / numen / sensei stuff, but I'm pretty sure letting the Emperor die would still allow him to be reborn as The Emperor.

The irony was that the only way to permanently defeat him is by keeping his nearly-dead body on perpetual life support. Oops.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

They've retconned a lot of the illuminati / numen / sensei stuff, but I'm pretty sure letting the Emperor die would still allow him to be reborn as The Emperor.

The irony was that the only way to permanently defeat him is by keeping his nearly-dead body on perpetual life support. Oops.

But isn't he nowadays less of a single warp entity and more of a myriad of shards that all act with various degrees of independence?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Zudgemud posted:

But isn't he nowadays less of a single warp entity and more of a myriad of shards that all act with various degrees of independence?

I believe that is also old lore, since those shards are supposedly the different souls of the shaman who sacrificed themselves to form him acting in concert together. These days he is considered to be a singular entity, albeit one who has an inhuman perspective on things after being supercharged by psyker souls and basically existing solely in the warp for past 10k odd years.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I remember seeing somewhere that the nids may actually be cyclical, and we've been nomed before.

I can imagine the Nids being a sort of orks-esque nuiscance for Dark Age of Technology humanity or the eldar at their height

would explain the implied-to-be-tyrannid-related fauna loitering here and there in the milky way

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Zudgemud posted:

His personality was fractured in the old fluff, but that was more from necessary than any spiritual reason.

I personally don't think that the Emperor himself is becoming a warp entity - it's the collective belief that humanity has in the Imperial Creed that's creating the Legion of the Damned, Living Saints, etc.

Remember that chaos gods were created from belief and emotion, not from strong individuals who elevate themselves.

It's basically the same story as Sigmar in the old WH fluff. The Emperor himself won't become a god, but a god of hubris and intolerance is being formed in his image.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think nids were confirmed to show up around mid 30k with the new swarm information.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
How about that daemon of the astronomicon from the new Black Legion books.

Also, are there any new books that give more info on Primaris? Already read up to Baal.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Senjuro posted:

The Ciaphas Cain books always have a bunch of humorous footnotes added, right? How does the audio version handle them?

Deptfordx posted:

I've got to do some travelling over the weekend. I'll probably blow an audible credit on it. Will report back.

It's done quite well. There's 3 readers for the book. The main guy does Cain, a woman does Amberlys introduction and reads the footnotes, while another guy does the short 'here's what another book says about the bigger picture/background' that are the usual interstital feature between chapters.

The footnotes are dropped in as the main text is read. Nb. There are not as many as I remember from the later books. This may be because it was the first book, or they may have made (I think) the sensible desicion to cut out the more extraneous ones and just keep the jokes and useful notes in and not constantly interrupt the flow. Someone with a physical copy to hand would have to check.

I've been enjoying it though.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Wrapped up Vengeful Spirit. It's an okay book but nothing particularly stands out aside it from being a slightly longer read than most HH novels. Not sure what to make of Molech. It's sort of interesting, I guess, in what it implies for the creation of the primarchs. One thing that stuck out though:

TORMAGEDDON

The name just tickles me. It feels like something a kid on the playground would have made up. "Now with this new power, I'm no longer Thomas... I'm Thomageddon."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lets not forget his squadmates who died before the heresy started.

Dansday, Abeocalypse, Samihilation, and of course Bradaclysm

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 16, 2018

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

It's done quite well. There's 3 readers for the book. The main guy does Cain, a woman does Amberlys introduction and reads the footnotes, while another guy does the short 'here's what another book says about the bigger picture/background' that are the usual interstital feature between chapters.

The footnotes are dropped in as the main text is read. Nb. There are not as many as I remember from the later books. This may be because it was the first book, or they may have made (I think) the sensible desicion to cut out the more extraneous ones and just keep the jokes and useful notes in and not constantly interrupt the flow. Someone with a physical copy to hand would have to check.

I've been enjoying it though.

More than one voice per book? Black Library, you're spoiling me.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Deptfordx posted:

The Boris Heresy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Should I re-read the Gothic War books?

Also, we're all just assuming that the Macharius Crusade was in the 390sM40 not M41, right? That's just an internal correction that most people do?

Because otherwise the Gothic War books don't "work" and a whole lotta poo poo that's older than 1000 years is named after someone who was born way too recently in Imperial history to warrant that (also isn't renaming a ship after it's launched hella bad luck or something?)

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Boris Heresy

I saw a lady on a facebook group call it the Horace Heresy so that's my new cannon.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I'll add Doomian and Goregory. I blame the warrior lodges, which probably were the Space Marines equivalent of fourth grade playgrounds.

Now that I think about it, I guess what I was really hoping for out of Vengeful Spirit was actually for an in depth narrative involving whatever Horus did over on the other side, instead of it being relegated to "He did all this crazy rear end stuff. That's why he's so much cooler now. Onward to Terra, maybe!"

I always figured Horus just gradually got more and more Chaos-y during the campaign, with each victory pleasing the Ruinous Powers, with every engagement becoming more and more open to committing atrocities, and a little more of their power is invested into this superhuman vessel. Every victory pumps his inflated ego until he sees himself as a god, his feats and powers equal to the Emperor.

Here, it feels like he got a power up mushroom. Kinda deflating.

It felt like an unnecessary story, ultimately.

Linnear fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 17, 2018

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Linnear posted:

It felt like an unnecessary story, ultimately.

HorusHeresy.txt

I kid, but like a lot of the books do feel a little 'Song of Ice and Fire' padded out, y'know? ASoIaF should have been 5 books, Horus Heresy probably should have been 20ish.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

Should I re-read the Gothic War books?

Also, we're all just assuming that the Macharius Crusade was in the 390sM40 not M41, right? That's just an internal correction that most people do?

Because otherwise the Gothic War books don't "work" and a whole lotta poo poo that's older than 1000 years is named after someone who was born way too recently in Imperial history to warrant that (also isn't renaming a ship after it's launched hella bad luck or something?)
The second and third wars for Armageddon both happened in 999 M41. Don't worry about it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

The second and third wars for Armageddon both happened in 999 M41. Don't worry about it.

I thought Armageddon III starting "57 years to the day" after II was a thing?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

susan posted:

HorusHeresy.txt

I kid, but like a lot of the books do feel a little 'Song of Ice and Fire' padded out, y'know? ASoIaF should have been 5 books, Horus Heresy probably should have been 20ish.

I don't think you will find 'The HH is a little padded' is a controversial position in this thread.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

I thought Armageddon III starting "57 years to the day" after II was a thing?
Yeah, it was a thing. But also they happened at the same time, because the 2nd ed starter box was built around the Armageddon II campaign, and all the fluff talked about it being 999 M41. And then 3rd ed shows up, we get a special Armageddon codex for the worldwide campaign, and BAM, it's 57 years later but still 999 M41.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it was a thing. But also they happened at the same time, because the 2nd ed starter box was built around the Armageddon II campaign, and all the fluff talked about it being 999 M41. And then 3rd ed shows up, we get a special Armageddon codex for the worldwide campaign, and BAM, it's 57 years later but still 999 M41.

Ah, I didn't know that. I think I had the 2E box but I don't think I actually played a whole lot until the Codex: Armageddon/Codex: Eye of Terror/VDR/3.5 days.

:shrug:

E: Wait, wasn't the 2E box based on the Crimson Fists last stand dealio?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Nope, blood angels versus orks but done of the time book art was indeed the fists doing a last stand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, the Rules book just repeated the Rogue Trader cover artwork, but the Codex Imperialis fluff/army list book had the box cover repeated, and the Wargear book had some Rogue Trader era expansion's artwork on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arquinsiel posted:

it's chaos