Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm still on PuTTy exclusively, but I also work from home, and have endured multiple periods where either my internet connection or the company's VPN were subject to drops. My PuTTy sessions are just to get me to GNU screen (I'm too lazy to learn tmux) and then screen does my session management, logging, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Antioch posted:

Vi. Nano is a crutch.

don't @ me

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

abigserve posted:

i swapped off of vim after several years using it and while it took a lot of convincing at the time it was so worth it

Because nobody could remember how to close it? :v:

When I was in school we were taught how to use Putty to SSH into the Fedora lab machines / submissions folder. Although that was probably to keep it simple.

I presume Methanar would be going easier on someone in a junior / entry level position, since that’s the one everyone learns first.

Doesn’t Powershell have right-click to paste by default? Or am I thinking of something else? I remember getting thrown off in some terminal because of that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I use mRemoteNG for everything windows and Cisco. I can use putty but it’s basically once when I’m on a box and I need to connect quick to something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GreenNight posted:

I use mRemoteNG for everything windows and Cisco. I can use putty but it’s basically once when I’m on a box and I need to connect quick to something.

IIRC you can integrate putty into mRemoteNG

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that’s how I go to Cisco command line sessions. It uses putty in the backend. It works pretty great tbh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
People are weird about who they license their OS through. That kind of brand loyalty is just weird.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i open a lot of ssh sessions, and use putty. I used securecrt back in the day but would rather just use putty now. I don't even like the tabbed putty sessions.

edit: you might say I have binders full of ssh sessions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methanar posted:

Putty isn't even a shell terminal. Its not even openSSH, so you can't do things with an ssh config file, like set a periodic ping so weird firewall rules don't boot you for inactivity after 60 seconds.

This?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I had literally no idea there were so many drat terminal emulators and text editors. I've been doing IT stuff - Windows, Linux, Virtualization with some limited Networking and Storage. Yet, I've never gone beyond,

- VIM
- Putty
- Notepad
- Notepad++
- Visual Studio Code (This has largely replaced Notepad++)
- Powershell ISE (Trying to force myself to use VS Code)
- Windows Bash (Linux Subsystem)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

I had literally no idea there were so many drat terminal emulators and text editors. I've been doing IT stuff - Windows, Linux, Virtualization with some limited Networking and Storage. Yet, I've never gone beyond,

- VIM
- Putty
- Notepad
- Notepad++
- Visual Studio Code (This has largely replaced Notepad++)
- Powershell ISE (Trying to force myself to use VS Code)
- Windows Bash (Linux Subsystem)

Try out Atom for windows text editing. It has plugins for many programming languages and integrates with git.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do not recommend Atom as an alternative to VS Code. They are both electron based text editors inspired by Sublime, and VS code is better in every way.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does VS Code have the Live Server add on for web dev stuff that Atom does? Because that’s a cool package.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
This discussion has been illuminating if only because it sheds some light on why my co-workers snicker sarcastically when they see me using PuTTY. At least it sort of does, the reasons still seem a little nebulous and the disdain seems a bit unjustified.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does VS Code have the Live Server add on for web dev stuff that Atom does? Because that’s a cool package.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ritwickdey.LiveServer

I've never used it before though.

You can get similar functionality out of nodejs + express + webpack, so that's what I've done.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

Do not recommend Atom as an alternative to VS Code. They are both electron based text editors inspired by Sublime, and VS code is better in every way.

I switched from Atom to VS Code because after an update Atom kept locking my git repos which made me have to quit Atom before I could do a push.

Got tired of that realy quick (2-3 days max), switched to Code and never looked back. It seems less bloated and faster than Atom too.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Xshell is free for home use

https://www.netsarang.com/products/xsh_overview.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

cheque_some posted:

This discussion has been illuminating if only because it sheds some light on why my co-workers snicker sarcastically when they see me using PuTTY. At least it sort of does, the reasons still seem a little nebulous and the disdain seems a bit unjustified.

Agreed. It's like arguing over iPhones vs. Android or Linux vs. Mac vs. Windows.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Android. Windows.

There is always a correct answer. Fight me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Android. Windows.

There is always a correct answer. Fight me.

Let's box. I have a ring, but you need to fly out here yourself and pay me a $10k fee for the privilege.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Putty is fine. Skip word fwd back not working is because your remote’s terminal setup is fucky. Select to copy right click to paste is like classic xterm behavior, also changeable. Tabs/splits/mirror inputs should be done in tmux. Saved profiles and pageant do most of what a .ssh/config gets you.

If you’re in console world 40 hrs a week ok sure invest the time, but moba’s porky cygwin lipstick and securecrt is for terminally nostalgic mirc fans. Where the real hipsters here? Where’s the opengl-based terminal fans? Where are the twitchy cmder nerds?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The real correct ssh client is Prompt.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

PCjr sidecar posted:

The real correct ssh client is Prompt.

You mean ansible

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hot take: arguing about text editors / basic client software proves that you've got as far in your career as to have experienced why one might be good, but not as far as to have been forced to use multiple of them and become indifferent to them simply as tools and start worrying about bigger poo poo like, what is your fav. desktop theme

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

jaegerx posted:

You mean ansible

My preferred orchestration platform is ms teams.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eletriarnation posted:

MobaXterm is new to me and looks very interesting, I'll have to try it out. (e: the free tier limits you to 12 sessions? ick)

Yeah, it's a good program and if I spent more time on the command line I'd definitely get work to buy it. 70 bucks isn't a lot but: you know?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

Putty is fine. Skip word fwd back not working is because your remote’s terminal setup is fucky. Select to copy right click to paste is like classic xterm behavior, also changeable. Tabs/splits/mirror inputs should be done in tmux. Saved profiles and pageant do most of what a .ssh/config gets you.

If you’re in console world 40 hrs a week ok sure invest the time, but moba’s porky cygwin lipstick and securecrt is for terminally nostalgic mirc fans. Where the real hipsters here? Where’s the opengl-based terminal fans? Where are the twitchy cmder nerds?

So many words,

What's tmux, xterm, moba and cygwin?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

abigserve posted:

someone that relies on terminal emulator QoL things to do their work is probably loving up somewhere is my spicy hot take

with good automation and ci/cd the amount of time you spend in terminals should be extremely low and it should basically be "running automation commands" (unless you're a neteng ofc)

even the netengs can push everything through ansible :smug:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

So many words,

What's tmux, xterm, moba and cygwin?

tmux is a persistent session multiplexer, a slightly more modern gnu screen.
xterm is an XWindows terminal emulator, the first (?) X based terminal emulator.
moba is mobaxterm, previously mentioned.
cygwin is the pre wsl way to get unix tools on Windows.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

Working for a video game company is probably the worst thing you could do to yourself.

:negative:

My experience so far has been pretty cool. Getting 2 raises each year.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dox posted:

even the netengs can push everything through ansible :smug:

This is absolute nonsense. I like automation as much as the next guy but sometimes you need to dig into a switch and find out why something is happening. You can't automate troubleshooting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sniep posted:

what is your fav. desktop theme

Hot dog stand.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

guppy posted:

You can't automate troubleshooting.

Cisco begs to differ and wants you on the DNA hypetrain.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

guppy posted:

This is absolute nonsense. I like automation as much as the next guy but sometimes you need to dig into a switch and find out why something is happening. You can't automate troubleshooting.

In the context of that discussion the difference is that instead of having 10+ terminal windows each open to a different router, or the same amount of background jobs or whatever you run a playbook to gather the information you need from aaaall of it in a predictable and reproducible manner.

It's a bit of ~the dream~ and I've found that the times I need to do that is vastly eclipsed by the amount of times I need to logon to like, one box, but the concept is there

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

You can't automate troubleshooting.
Self healing AI code driven by analytics and synergized with industry leading quantum computing concepts.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

adorai posted:

Self healing AI code driven by analytics and synergized with industry leading quantum computing concepts.

Bingo, sir.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sniep posted:

hot take: arguing about text editors / basic client software proves that you've got as far in your career as to have experienced why one might be good, but not as far as to have been forced to use multiple of them and become indifferent to them simply as tools and start worrying about bigger poo poo like, what is your fav. desktop theme

This is so true.

When you've cut your teeth on old Solaris on Kongsberg controllers using a loving waterproof rubber keyboard (yay navy), and Lockheed Martin's abomination of HP-UX on the AEGIS computers, the discussion of Putty vs SecureCRT or vim vs emacs gets kinda silly.

All roads lead to Rome, just because a certain toolset and way of doing things works for you doesn't mean its the One True Way.

I use Putty, screen and vim. Flame away :colbert:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Any health stats you get from ansible should already be sent to a log aggregator configured to proactively alert you on problems.

Running a script on service degradation to collect base troubleshooting information is backwards as hell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

adorai posted:

Can we hyperconverge it into a cloud-based containerized workflow?

Wibla posted:

I use Putty, screen and vim. Flame away :colbert:

PuTTYTray, screen, and nano here :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

guppy posted:

That and proof of concepts. I usually do a manual install and figure out how stuff works before automating it.