Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did enjoy the Dragonball Evolution joke about everyone calling him Geeko and Chi-Chi not liking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

hosed up that that joke is getting on a decade old

I was in loving middle school when s1 was happening. I'm 24 now. :smith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Vegeta! I can fly.'

Even as rough as early DBZA I still bust a gut at that one.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I rarely go back earlier than episode 7. I don’t think DBZA got good until the Vegeta fight, and then it got really really good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
They decided to just do it themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaRrEIX6BKk

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm wanted in three states for murder after killing people that made endless Nappa quites from DBZA in 2011.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

tbf Nappa really did carry S1

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If I remember right, they got Deku's dub VA to voice "adult" Gohan for a short gag during the Super Android 13 movie. Assuming they get him back for the Buu saga, I wonder how many MHA jokes they'll make during the Great Saiyaman stuff.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

multijoe posted:

My precious Modeling Career!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

multijoe posted:

They weren’t kidding in Kai when Nappa said: You will quote everything I say.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

If I remember right, they got Deku's dub VA to voice "adult" Gohan for a short gag during the Super Android 13 movie. Assuming they get him back for the Buu saga, I wonder how many MHA jokes they'll make during the Great Saiyaman stuff.

Izuku's dub VA (Justin Briner) has actually worked with them on stuff for a while now. They have him voice Cloud in their FFVII series.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

From a recent Hot Air Ballon exhibition in Veracruz, Mexico.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

on twitter, the TFS gang has talked about potentially redoing season 1 at some point to bring it in line with the rest of the series in quality, and just generally rewrite a lot of the jokes that didn't work, and I'd be down with that

but i have this feeling that it's going to lead to them redoing the entirety of DBZ, over and over, just like the real dub...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

on twitter, the TFS gang has talked about potentially redoing season 1 at some point to bring it in line with the rest of the series in quality, and just generally rewrite a lot of the jokes that didn't work, and I'd be down with that

but i have this feeling that it's going to lead to them redoing the entirety of DBZ, over and over, just like the real dub...

I doubt that. There's no way they want to, and the gap between Season 1 and the rest is WAAAAAAAAAY bigger than like between 2 and 3.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

CharlestheHammer posted:

hosed up that that joke is getting on a decade old

Thank heavens we've all grown along with the show in tangible ways that don't make us feel as if we've wasted our lives consuming entertainment rather than creating and adding to the wonderful tapestry that is our world.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Thank heavens we've all grown along with the show in tangible ways that don't make us feel as if we've wasted our lives consuming entertainment rather than creating and adding to the wonderful tapestry that is our world.

I may die but my fanfic will live on

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sea Lily posted:

I wouldn't mind if they did a quick redo of all the Freaky Alien Genotype jokes.

That... hasn't aged well.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

FilthyImp posted:

I wouldn't mind if they did a quick redo of all the Freaky Alien Genotype jokes.

You say that like it was cool and good at the time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

"That thing's a guy?!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FilthyImp posted:

Fuego Fish posted:

You say that like it was cool and good at the time.

for what it's worth i'm pan and non-binary and find that bit loving hilarious

like it's not funny to me because "hurr hurr krillin said fag," if that was the extent of the joke i'd probably get mad at it. but the way krillin says the freaky alien genotype line in a way that sounds like it's a stupid backpedal/justification, and then it promptly comes up like an episode later from a totally different character because he actually wasn't lying, is the kind of DBZA joke that pretty much always loving slays me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thanks for your opinion, single person in a larger minority that is disparaged by the joke

e: just to be clear, i don't really care if you like the joke but what is actually added to the conversation when you leverage your presence in the lgbt community to praise a joke that is offensive on multiple levels against others?

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 18, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
19 and 20 are really good villains

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

thanks for your opinion, single person in a larger minority that is disparaged by the joke

e: just to be clear, i don't really care if you like the joke but what is actually added to the conversation when you leverage your presence in the lgbt community to praise a joke that is offensive on multiple levels against others?

Maybe it's relevant because it's more important what people in a community affected by a joke think than what people outside of a community think they'll be offended by?

I mean Speedy Gonzales cartoons were famously shelved from airing due to how they could offended Hispanic viewers... until there was a massive campaign by Hispanic Americans to get them back on the air, because they thought he was cool.

I mean, I don't really have a horse in this race, but when someone says "This is offensive against Canadians!" then it's relevant to point out you're a Canadian when you're saying you don't see the big deal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm suddenly reminded of Mysterious Mr Enter getting super offended on behalf of Canadians because King of the Hill dared to show Canadians as being assholes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

19 and 20 are really good villains

I think Gero could have been a pretty sweet villain if they leaned into the Energy Absorb thing. Like yeah it's weird he didn't give his roboself infinite energy like 17/18 or whatever is going on with cell but maybe if he made it a bad idea to shoot big energy beams at him because it just made him stronger, we could have gotten a pretty cool bad guy.

Probably not though. Wasn't that Super 17's thing lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe it's relevant because it's more important what people in a community affected by a joke think than what people outside of a community think they'll be offended by?

I mean Speedy Gonzales cartoons were famously shelved from airing due to how they could offended Hispanic viewers... until there was a massive campaign by Hispanic Americans to get them back on the air, because they thought he was cool.

I mean, I don't really have a horse in this race, but when someone says "This is offensive against Canadians!" then it's relevant to point out you're a Canadian when you're saying you don't see the big deal.

i think in the case of an old bit in a webseries, there's little consequence. it just feels a bit weird to me to jump in and be a permissive minority about it just in the wider context of what someone's priorities are and that nothing is being lost in this situation since the joke will continue to exist. again i'm coming at this from a different angle obviously but i feel like the ideal would be recognizing the issue with something like this independent of your enjoyment, and realizing that speaking up to defend it enables lovely attitudes more than anything else. i don't know the full context of the speedy gonzalez example but the comparison doesn't really track in this case imo.

and we can loop back around to it being of little consequence and say maybe i didn't need to get up on the hill about it but, it's always a frustrating thing to come across.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

chiasaur11 posted:

Ehh.. they don't speak for everyone, is the point. Their opinion is valid, and should not be dismissed, but it's not carte blanch to excuse a lovely joke. I'm queer (and nonbinary too! It's cool seeing more enbies pop up!) and I laughed too at the time, but that doesn't really make it okay.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 18, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ofc the joke also happens to be about frieza and feeds into the whole thing with queer-coded villains which are honestly a huge cultural touchstone for me and i still tend to enjoy. so i get the situation of liking something #problematic and a desire to defend it or even just express my enjoyment of when the context might not be ideal. but i guess i would also say i don't feel terribly restricted when it comes to not defending stuff like that or being intentional about how i discuss it, so it isn't an insurmountable thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

Mexicans, not Hispanic Americans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Mexicans, not Hispanic Americans.

Apparently both of those groups and more. There were a lot of people who liked Speedy Gonzales, according to the summaries of the whole thing I've read.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently both of those groups and more. There were a lot of people who liked Speedy Gonzales, according to the summaries of the whole thing I've read.

Well, WB retired Speedy over concerns about offending Mexican people by the way he and his cartoons depicted the country. But as it turns out, it is extremely hard to find anyone from Mexico offended by Speedy or Lento Rodriguez (and yes, that does include Speedy's first appearance), hell, there are even plans for an animated film completely developed here in Mexico and with national talent. So, if people in the states would stop getting offended on our behalf that would be peachy. We're perfectly able to voice our distaste when/if we find something offensive.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I know the first season is outdated but my god pretty much everything from Nappa and Vegeta showing up onward is fantastic and none of the new stuff makes me laugh the same way

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Babe Magnet posted:

I think Gero could have been a pretty sweet villain if they leaned into the Energy Absorb thing. Like yeah it's weird he didn't give his roboself infinite energy like 17/18 or whatever is going on with cell but maybe if he made it a bad idea to shoot big energy beams at him because it just made him stronger, we could have gotten a pretty cool bad guy.

Gero did exactly that, though. He even tricked Vegeta into trying to blast him, because he realized that Vegeta is gullible as gently caress.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

jokes can be offensive on the surface and not very offensive deep down. the freaky alien genotype joke works because its played completely straight. it's not even as problematic as most of the zarbon jokes.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Abridgers can make as many terrible gay jokes as they want as long as they all promise to never do song parodies ever again.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Abridgers can make as many terrible gay jokes as they want as long as they all promise to never do song parodies ever again.

:yeah:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The gay jokes came from Kaiser, the married gay man. So blame him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryaomon posted:

You kidding? Some of the best moments in DBZA are the songs, like Make a Man Out of You or Cell's My Way now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

You kidding? Some of the best moments in DBZA are the songs, like Make a Man Out of You or Cell's My Way now.

Cell singing My Way wasn’t a song parody it was just Cell singing My Way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ryaomon posted:

:same: