Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The Pos is leaking.

22 Eargesplitten are you an AmberPOS man?

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

if someone asks me for help with their home computer cause they don't know how to run malwarebytes or whatever, i always tell them to bring their computer in and I do it as long as it's not an egregious amount of work.

there's nothing people hate more than a smug rear end in a top hat IT person so I've been collecting favors for a decade...just incase.

FFFFFFFffffffffuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkkkk that poo poo.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't even post there, I just lurk. YOSPOS never did me any wrong, no need to subject them to my posting

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Nastier Nate posted:

if someone asks me for help with their home computer cause they don't know how to run malwarebytes or whatever, i always tell them to bring their computer in and I do it as long as it's not an egregious amount of work.

there's nothing people hate more than a smug rear end in a top hat IT person so I've been collecting favors for a decade...just incase.

I did this once. Was not worth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

lmao you have an office. I have a piece of poo poo cube with short walls that is barely one step above an open office because the person who designed the new place is a sadist.

Imao you have a cube. This is what my workplace looks like (4 monitors instead of 3 and three times the big board displays, but 4 of them have Fox News and the Weather Channel).

Now quick, someone post their workspace that's even worse than mine. Please let there be someone with a workspace worse than mine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There used to be a guy at my work who would want me to remove viruses from his home computers and he would pay me in shoes.

Every 6 months I got a free pair of Asics for about 90 minutes of work.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Krispy Wafer posted:

Imao you have a cube. This is what my workplace looks like (4 monitors instead of 3 and three times the big board displays, but 4 of them have Fox News and the Weather Channel).

Now quick, someone post their workspace that's even worse than mine. Please let there be someone with a workspace worse than mine.

I worked at a place that moved us to a seating arrangement where the only way I could get my fourth monitor to fit was to have it completely perpendicular to my other three, and even then, it was hanging off. The movers' original solution was setting up my monitors in a 2x2 grid, but forget that.

Also they took away the drawers because they took up too much space or something, so everyone got a little cubby locker for their things. One of the saddest things I saw was a director who had been there 30+ years and was getting close to retirement, trying to find space for all his personal effects after having to move from an office to a four foot workbench.

I gave my notice after like 2 months there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cheque_some posted:

I worked at a place that moved us to a seating arrangement where the only way I could get my fourth monitor to fit was to have it completely perpendicular to my other three, and even then, it was hanging off. The movers' original solution was setting up my monitors in a 2x2 grid, but forget that.

Also they took away the drawers because they took up too much space or something, so everyone got a little cubby locker for their things. One of the saddest things I saw was a director who had been there 30+ years and was getting close to retirement, trying to find space for all his personal effects after having to move from an office to a four foot workbench.

I gave my notice after like 2 months there.

We have two drawers, but until recently I shared a workstation with another tech so those weren't even my own personal drawers. We also have lockers where I kept my own personal keyboard and mouse because gently caress using someone else's lovely crumb infested Dell OEM keyboard.

I went out and bought my own ear piece for our wireless headset because apparently they expected us to share earwax. :shudder:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

We have two drawers, but until recently I shared a workstation with another tech so those weren't even my own personal drawers. We also have lockers where I kept my own personal keyboard and mouse because gently caress using someone else's lovely crumb infested Dell OEM keyboard.

I went out and bought my own ear piece for our wireless headset because apparently they expected us to share earwax. :shudder:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Please let there be someone with a workspace worse than mine.

What does your heart tell you?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Krispy Wafer posted:

three times the big board displays, but 4 of them have Fox News and the Weather Channel).

lol yeah working in video transport nocs, did many many years in one. luckily i mostly avoided fox news tho

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Assuming you don't want to do side work, the best way to handle coworkers hitting you up for free tech support for personal stuff is to have someone else specific to refer them to. "Oh, I don't really do side work, but there's this guy Mike who works at XYZ Computers in (nearby neighborhood), he's who I refer people to." Often it's less about not wanting to pay for it and more about not knowing a trustworthy repair shop; in all my desktop support time I don't think I ever had anyone come back to me after that because they wanted me to do it for free instead.

I generally didn't do side work then and I don't know, but there were a few people who were super nice and I didn't mind helping them now and then.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

"Oh drat, like 160 new posts coming out of the weekend, I wonder what hilarious thing happened?"

*4 pages of dick waving about terminal software*

"...I see"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

"Oh drat, like 160 new posts coming out of the weekend, I wonder what hilarious thing happened?"

*4 pages of dick waving about terminal software*

"...I see"

One day people will stop making this kind of useless post on SA. It actually used to be probatable at one point.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

don't @ me

I'm sorry I couldn't compete with stellar content like this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I'm sorry I couldn't compete with stellar content like this

Be the change you want to see in the world

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

One day people will stop making this kind of useless post on SA. It actually used to be probatable at one point.

Don't ever use twitter. The flamewars over who's using what for a lab is absurd.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Don't ever use twitter. The flamewars over who's using what for a lab is absurd.

I imagine r/sysadmin is similar.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

guppy posted:

Assuming you don't want to do side work, the best way to handle coworkers hitting you up for free tech support for personal stuff is to have someone else specific to refer them to. "Oh, I don't really do side work, but there's this guy Mike who works at XYZ Computers in (nearby neighborhood), he's who I refer people to." Often it's less about not wanting to pay for it and more about not knowing a trustworthy repair shop; in all my desktop support time I don't think I ever had anyone come back to me after that because they wanted me to do it for free instead.

I generally didn't do side work then and I don't know, but there were a few people who were super nice and I didn't mind helping them now and then.

Just ask stupid high prices. Especially if it’s owner/c- level people.

Sure I’ll come setup a new WiFi router at your house for $200 and drink all your loving alcohol while I’m there

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

I imagine r/sysadmin is similar.

No. /r/sysadmin is a shithole of low effort posts from people that can’t be bothered to search for extremely basic IT issues. I sometimes post there in decent threads but they’re few and between.

It’s also more entry level, small business, msp posts. Today’s dumbshit post was “my boss says I need to buy a server, where do you buy a server?”

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
To be fair, if you just randomly get told to buy a server, and buying a server isn't a thing you normally do, it's probably pretty intimidating.

In defense of r/sysadmin, I don't get the hate. It has some good content and some bad content. r/sysadmin is the equivalent of SH/SC, with some hit, some miss. You telling me that all of you read and cherish every thread posted here?

I guess my main point is that I find it remarkable how hard it is for some people to scroll past content that isn't for them. Like it really, really bothers some people. If you can't scroll past an entire page of threads in 10 seconds and see that none appeal to you, you probably aren't interneting fast enough.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 18, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To be fair, if you just randomly get told to buy a server, and buying a server isn't a thing you normally do, it's probably pretty intimidating.

In defense of r/sysadmin, I don't get the hate. It has some good content and some bad content. r/sysadmin is the equivalent of SH/SC, with some hit, some miss. You telling me that all of you read and cherish every thread posted here?

I guess my main point is that I find it remarkable how hard it is for some people to scroll past content that isn't for them. Like it really, really bothers some people. If you can't scroll past an entire page of threads in 10 seconds and see that none appeal to you, you probably aren't interneting fast enough.

I scrolled past this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I used to do side work and would charge $100 or more for the most basic things. Made a few grand off malware. Haven’t had anyone hit me up in years though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

drink all your loving alcohol while I’m there

This is dangerous if one or both occupants of the house are lawyers. You may know what you're about but they have to take mandatory substance abuse prevention classes.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GreenNight posted:

I used to do side work and would charge $100 or more for the most basic things. Made a few grand off malware. Haven’t had anyone hit me up in years though.

i look at someone who cant figure out malwarebytes probably the same way a mechanic would look at me after i tell them i cant change my own oil

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I don't know. doing small favors for people has worked pretty well for me.
I've always been able to call in favors from different departments who excel at what they do.
Taxes? Finance
apartment (rent)? Realtor
all I've done is mostly install printers or clean up their pc's for them.

Re: mechanic
I love this story my friend told me.
His father went to get his car fixed. Something about the battery. He wanted to see how the mechanic did it. The mechanic hit a certain part of the car. And it started working again. The father didn't understand.
The mechanic gave him a bill.
"Hitting the car": €0,50
"Knowing where to hit the car": €160

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sefal posted:

Re: mechanic
I love this story my friend told me.
His father went to get his car fixed. Something about the battery. He wanted to see how the mechanic did it. The mechanic hit a certain part of the car. And it started working again. The father didn't understand.
The mechanic gave him a bill.
"Hitting the car": €0,50
"Knowing where to hit the car": €160

It was probably the starter motor? Whacking it with a wrench will often get it working once, but that's to get to the shop to have it replaced.

Source: AAA once had to come out and whack my starter motor so I could drive to the shop to have it replaced.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

guppy posted:

In my last place I knew who Mike was and this tactic was perfect.

I then moved 200 miles away and I have no idea where Mike is anymore

Still don't do side work, but now people just think I'm a cock about it.

I don't really, because it's partly true

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno, a partner trying to get me canned because their mac OS didn't update and they were still on like OG chrome sorta soured me on doing anything on a personal machine. I just tell them to buy a new one now.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I still don't know how to deal with

"so which processor would you recommend I buy when I look at a new PC"

- I don't know - someone in procurement decides what PCs we get here - outside of work I have a tablet and a PS4, I don't give a poo poo about computers so go find Mike, damnit where is Mike!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

"check cnet"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

angry armadillo posted:

I still don't know how to deal with

"so which processor would you recommend I buy when I look at a new PC"

- I don't know - someone in procurement decides what PCs we get here - outside of work I have a tablet and a PS4, I don't give a poo poo about computers so go find Mike, damnit where is Mike!

"Anything with an i5 will be fine for general use. If you're using resource intensive production software, go for an i7."

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I get the appeal of a quick and easy answer but acting like Intel's marketing bullshit is meaningful is probably not the way to go, I already see enough people comparing old laptop i7s to new desktop i5s.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I usually just point people at Wirecutter, or Logical Increments or, you know: Apple?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Vargatron posted:

"Anything with an i5 will be fine for general use. If you're using resource intensive production software, go for an i7."

The 2 outcomes from this are they do it right and then ask another question

or

They go on ebay, get ripped off for some 5 year old i7 refurbished from China that costs them $500 and somehow that's my fault.

I still need Mike :D

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

The 2 outcomes from this are they do it right and then ask another question

or

They go on ebay, get ripped off for some 5 year old i7 refurbished from China that costs them $500 and somehow that's my fault.

I still need Mike :D

Every few years my mom asks me for advice on buying a new laptop. I give her a few solid suggestions and point out the tradeoffs in cost vs features and performance.

Then she goes to Best Buy and gets whatever $150 piece of utter poo poo the sales guy tricks her into, and calls me to ask why it's slow. Hmm idk, maybe because it has like 1GB of RAM, an Atom processor, and a spinning hard disk in TYOOL 2018? And multiple anti-virus trials fighting with each other? :shrug:

I no longer give her computer advice. Find a Mike.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If people ask me what they should buy my sentence always starts with "Well at work we use..."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If I have to look a web dev in the eyes and tell them "Yes, knowing how DNS works on a basic level is a requirement for your job!" one more loving time I am going to throw someone out a loving window.

I am not even expecting them to understands the basics of edge server caching. I am not shooting for the loving moon here.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not advocating being a smug IT rear end in a top hat but also know you will never be able to call in those favors, after all it's just your job right?!

Agreed. Words are worth as much as a fart in the breeze.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I like helping people out with computer stuff. I like computers, I like talking about computers, and I've never really had anyone take advantage of me for it.

Last guy just wanted some general advice on a laptop, I gave him a couple specific suggestions, but spoke more in generalities (i.e. "don't spend less than $600 on a Windows laptop" sort of stuff).

I also fixed a college friend's aunt's computer, because she lives in the same city I do and he was across the country. He bought me Witcher 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

If I have to look a web dev in the eyes and tell them "Yes, knowing how DNS works on a basic level is a requirement for your job!" one more loving time I am going to throw someone out a loving window.

I am not even expecting them to understands the basics of edge server caching. I am not shooting for the loving moon here.

I don't really know anything beyond ANames, CNames and I've been in IT for over a decade. If I'm stuck I'm just going to paste the error into Google or try to reproduce the issue in my own lab.

If that fails, copy the details in plain text and escalate.