Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Linnear posted:

TORMAGEDDON

Deptfordx posted:

Dansday, Abeocalypse, Samihilation, and of course Bradaclysm

Linnear posted:

I'll add Doomian and Goregory.

Well if I ever make a Chaos Space Marine warband I know what I'm naming them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm about halfway through the second book of Gaunt's Ghosts and all these guys are going to die aren't they? :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In book four the Ghosts get folded into the Munitorum, and spend the rest of the series dealing with logistical issues. There are a few character deaths after that, but they're all off-base drunk driving accidents.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The 300 page account of filling out forms was thrilling. But in classic Dan Abnet fashion, ended on a huge cliffhanger where we don’t know if Milo checked box 403(ac) in cross reference to form 420-fft.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Moose-Alini posted:

The 300 page account of filling out forms was thrilling. But in classic Dan Abnet fashion, ended on a huge cliffhanger where we don’t know if Milo checked box 403(ac) in cross reference to form 420-fft.

What? Abnett doesn't do cliffhangers. A Fists successor chapter, the Adjutants, just so happened to answer Gaunt's emergency request for a deep-strike audit squad, and all the clerical errors were accounted for in the space of three pages.
E: For real though, I didn't really get what had happened at the end of Ravenor until they explained it again at the start of the second book. My god is Abnett bad at wrapping things up.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 17, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

^burtle posted:

I'm about halfway through the second book of Gaunt's Ghosts and all these guys are going to die aren't they? :(

They get better after book three.

Then they spend the next eight books getting so, so much worse.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it was a thing. But also they happened at the same time, because the 2nd ed starter box was built around the Armageddon II campaign, and all the fluff talked about it being 999 M41. And then 3rd ed shows up, we get a special Armageddon codex for the worldwide campaign, and BAM, it's 57 years later but still 999 M41.

The dating system is an unreliable narrator, due to fuckery it's already either a century to even a thousand years past 999 M41 already.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Does anyone have that gif that is either the Black Templars or Dark Angels renacting that spongebob scene where everything is on fire and they are running around flailing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moose-Alini posted:

:ohdear:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there anything that has in cannon prayers or hymms that would be sung or said by imperial citizens? Like, are those collected anywhere?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything that has in cannon prayers or hymms that would be sung or said by imperial citizens? Like, are those collected anywhere?

Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer has some, there's the Fede Imperialis from Sisters of Battle 2nd Edition (and other places since then but I know the full-text is there), other than that there are just references to prayers/hymns in-line or with reference to a hymnal without them being written out (which I suppose is as-expected: one of the most powerful things in any society is the imposition of assumptions and I have to assume that one of the Imperial assumptions would be participation in/familiarity with common prayers)?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Cannon prayers would be mechanicum and thus presumably mostly in binary.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Schadenboner posted:

Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer has some, there's the Fede Imperialis from Sisters of Battle 2nd Edition (and other places since then but I know the full-text is there), other than that there are just references to prayers/hymns in-line or with reference to a hymnal without them being written out (which I suppose is as-expected: one of the most powerful things in any society is the imposition of assumptions and I have to assume that one of the Imperial assumptions would be participation in/familiarity with common prayers)?

Ah ok. If a in universe prayer and hymm book is ever written by Black Library, I will fund that kickstarter.

I chose to RP a battle sister for Dark Heresy who is known to burst out into hymms randomly as a stress reviler thinking these might be collected somewhere.

Lobster God posted:

Cannon prayers would be mechanicum and thus presumably mostly in binary.

:rimshot:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hadn't thought of it until now, but yeah, it's hosed up that there aren't any hymns in the books. They've had dozens of British fantasy authors writing these things for decades and none of them have included a song? What the gently caress is going on?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

Ah ok. If a in universe prayer and hymm book is ever written by Black Library, I will fund that kickstarter.

I chose to RP a battle sister for Dark Heresy who is known to burst out into hymms randomly as a stress reviler thinking these might be collected somewhere.

:rimshot:

I mean: just get a PDF of one of the old editions (the older the better) of the Anglican Book of Common Prayer and replace "god" or "Jesus" with "The Immortal God-Emperor of Man" and add more poo poo about killing?

Then make up insane quotes and attribute them to Sebastian Thor or Dolan Chirosius and that's gotta get you like 80% of the way there?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I really like the small bits of world building that the better BL libraries insert into their books. In Lords of Silence, for instance, Chris Wright has one of the chaos marines muse on the fact that he has been away from the Imperium for so long that even its language is becoming alien to him. He states:

“... Gothic itself has evolved. It is now a language of internal contradictions and overl­apping meanings, a palimpsest that never quite lets the old layers get wiped clean. It is uglier now, filled with more ornament than it ever used to have.”

That's the good stuff right there, and its why Wright is quickly becoming my favorite writer on the team.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone who takes the piss out of Games Workshop's obsession with a stupid, easily trademarked names is good in my books.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hadn't thought of it until now, but yeah, it's hosed up that there aren't any hymns in the books. They've had dozens of British fantasy authors writing these things for decades and none of them have included a song? What the gently caress is going on?

i think you'll find that music was declared heretical after the age of apostasy

alternative theory: protagonists are disproportionately space marines, who can't carry a tune because the belcher's gland fucks up their vocal cords

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PupsOfWar posted:

alternative theory: protagonists are disproportionately space marines, who can't carry a tune because the belcher's gland fucks up their vocal cords

That's wrong though? There's discussion of musical styles/movements in Eisenhorn and Cain meets Amberley when she's literally chanteuseing it up?

E: Also the Redemptionists in The Redeemer have a song: "Glory, glory, The Redeemer"?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 18, 2018

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

That's wrong though? There's discussion of musical styles/movements in Eisenhorn and Cain meets Amberley when she's literally chanteuseing it up?

E: Also the Redemptionists in The Redeemer have a song: "Glory, glory, The Redeemer"?

PupsOfWar's comment was what's called a 'joke'.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lobster God posted:

PupsOfWar's comment was what's called a 'joke'.

Look: I don’t get nearly as many opportunities to mention “The Redeemer” as I’d like so I have to take the ones I find.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

That's wrong though? There's discussion of musical styles/movements in Eisenhorn

that's just decadent aristos sitting around looking at notation and discussing what music would theoretically be like if it existed

no music has actually been performed since m36 except by slaanesh cultists

quote:

Cain meets Amberley when she's literally chanteuseing it up?

these are known heretics though

cain is friends with a slaanesh daemon, amberley studies xenos cultures, and both are guilty of the imperium's most severe sin: sex-having

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 18, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Doesn't Cain mention at one point the old childrens song from his scholum days "Crush the Heretics under the Land Raiders Tracks".

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like there's several, maybe more than several even instances of people singing hymnals or battle chants or whatever. Typically because they're some random Imperial fucker with the poor luck to be around the protagonist(s) and they've got to prove their faith, so of course the magic songs come out. Trouble is they never actually write anything other than "So and so sang with all their faith and that demon got the gently caress out yo."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Orv posted:

I feel like there's several, maybe more than several even instances of people singing hymnals or battle chants or whatever. Typically because they're some random Imperial fucker with the poor luck to be around the protagonist(s) and they've got to prove their faith, so of course the magic songs come out. Trouble is they never actually write anything other than "So and so sang with all their faith and that demon got the gently caress out yo."

Being a subscriber to a couple podcasts that do reviews of lovely fantasy books I have to say that this is a really, really good thing. It seems like a given author will write lyrics that are, at best, 50% as good as their prose writing.

Unless you're *really* into the Hey-non-nonny-non Tom Bombadil poo poo?

:shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh no it's a good thing don't get me wrong, just in the instance of what that one goon was looking for it's kind of a bummer.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Being a subscriber to a couple podcasts that do reviews of lovely fantasy books I have to say that this is a really, really good thing. It seems like a given author will write lyrics that are, at best, 50% as good as their prose writing.

Unless you're *really* into the Hey-non-nonny-non Tom Bombadil poo poo?

:shrug:

Yeah, that scene in the Eisenhorn short story where he joins in with the hymn as he approaches the broken veterans really wouldn't have the same gravitas if there were actual words in there. I just tell my brain "he sang some inspiring poo poo"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In case anyone is wondering, Betrayer is still good. What is the current cream of the crop wrt Heresy books, I keep losing track.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I just finished reading the Magos. In one reading.

Im loving floored by how good that was. And the implications.

Abnett has so many books he needs to finish writing

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

PupsOfWar posted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vadoc posted:

The dating system is an unreliable narrator, due to fuckery it's already either a century to even a thousand years past 999 M41 already.

Yes but it's one planet, so unless their one archeotech clock broke...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Just realised that this is a riff of 'Glory Glory Man United.' (or any of the other related football songs)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Z the IVth posted:

Just realised that this is a riff of 'Glory Glory Man United.' (or any of the other related football songs)

Can’t tell if this is :thejoke: or if you honestly don’t know about the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PantsOptional posted:

Can’t tell if this is :thejoke: or if you honestly don’t know about the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

He's British, if it's not related to soccer or the bakeoff they don't know about it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thank God America would never stoop to repurposing an old tune with some disreputable new lyrics.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 19, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

Until I wiki-ed the football chant and read it"s origins I can safely say nope, I'd never heard of it. Considering 40k"s roots and that of the comic I wager the author wasn't referring to the original Battle Hymn either.

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's British, if it's not related to soccer or the bakeoff they don't know about it.

I'm not British but way to go with the sweeping generalizations buddy.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Battle Hymn of the Republic itself used the tune from John Brown’s Body.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I'm not British but way to go with the sweeping generalizations buddy.

Lobster God posted:

PupsOfWar's Guy Goodbody's comment was what's called a 'joke'.

Come on thread, you're better than this.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Yeah, in Britain there's a LOT of lovely singing. Seriously.
I first heard that tune as a kid when a bunch of paras were singing in a pub and the words were something like

"Glory, Glory what a hell of a way to die
With a rocket up your arse and a bullet in your eye"

We are a strange, strange little island...