Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

How much like it, was it the same post?

Might have been, I'm not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A deja vu is a glitch in the forums, it happens when the mods change something

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jaded Burnout posted:

I totally appreciate this subtle reference.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ashcans posted:

Then ten years later the sunroom gets converted* to a regular room, someone builds a new porch attached to it, and the life cycle begins anew.

* 'converting' it just means putting a carpet in before it becomes a new lounge or bedroom. No, it won't involve adding proper insulation or heating/cooling.
I rented a room that was exactly this for a few weeks while I was in between apartment leases. It was even worse than you'd expect because in addition to not having proper insulation, it also wasn't properly sealed off from the outdoors so I got all the fun of bugs coming into my room to escape the approaching winter, and despite being on the first floor of a 3 floor house I had rain dripping through the roof (and directly onto my bed because of course that's where the drip happens).

That whole house was pretty much a re-re-re-remodeled disaster that was about 5 years overdue for a demolish except that one hipster motherfucker kept trying to get it put on the historic register. There's no interesting designs or materials here my dude, in fact there are 6 more houses just like it on this block! Let the owner flatten it and install a modern fourplex.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

A deja vu is a glitch in the forums, it happens when the mods change something.

Where's the exit gone? Oh God there's no logout button!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Where's the exit gone? Oh God there's no logout button!

If the forums had a log out button we'd all have left long ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

If the forums had a log out button we'd all have left long ago.

It would make all your wildest dreams come true.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The forum is a computer generated dream world, built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into this

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:sadpeanut:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't understand how people design things like that and think it's a good idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

:golfclap:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Offer accepted on a new house! Lets check the mls portal to make sure nothing more tempting has hit the market...

More

Feeling confident in my choice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That house has bone cancer.

What is going on on the rear exterior wall?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Forget the wall, what's going on behind this door?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The stone doorways are just baffling.

I think it's landscaping sandstone.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Forget the wall, what's going on behind this door?

Are Marble Hornet spin offs still a thing? Because this feels like a screencap of a youtube video that's about some young college aged kids being stalked by Slenderman, so they holed up in an abandoned house. Or no, one of of them woke up in this abandoned house in the middle of the woods, and when they walk outside there's bags of leaky red stuff and yarn dollies hanging from the tree branches.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

big dyke energy posted:

The stone doorways are just baffling.

I think it's landscaping sandstone.

“‘Designed loads?‘ Never heard of ’em!”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 20, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's kind of sad, looking at the front door and some of the fixtures this isn't just a random crapshack in the woods, this was somebody's dream home. Somebody with an unhealthy appreciation for paving stones, but still.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Looks like my neighbors are upset that density goes up over time.

Some gems in the comments “typical build up the city instead of the plains” “shopping at the local grocery store will be a joke!”

So, I guess they’d rather have suburban sprawl and hate their local businesses.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Some gems in the comments “typical build up the city instead of the plains” “shopping at the local grocery store will be a joke!”

I always reply to these Nextdoor posts with "Now that I've moved here I demand that everyone else stop doing the same!"

That really gets them riled up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StormDrain posted:

But we all know that suburban sprawl doesn't create traffic the way higher density does. This is why every major metro area is a dream to drive in once you get out of city limits. :downs:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

StormDrain posted:

My Nextdoor doesn't have any bitching about density or development, which makes me feel like I'm missing out because it's always fun to read neighborhood bitching on those topics, but that's what I get for living in a neighborhood that was laid out in the 1890s.

If anything, density in my neighborhood is going down - these blocks are all big three-story Victorians and Foursquares, most of which have been chopped up into triplexes (except for our house, miraculously). One by one, they're getting restored back to single family homes and marketed to tech people because gentrification is coming.

Then Nextdoor folks can complain about all the pretentious tech interlopers that are their neighbors now, and the tech interlopers can complain about dumb poo poo that no one ever cared about before.

Content:

Hey neighbor house steps, you might want to get that growth checked out :ohdear: It's big enough to anchor a motorcycle.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't understand how people design things like that and think it's a good idea.

They just want to murder people while having enough of an alibi to get away with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

They're called architects.

"Hey, this idea I will never see in person or have to live with seems like a great idea!"

Never forget:

Also:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Queen Victorian posted:

My Nextdoor doesn't have any bitching about density or development, which makes me feel like I'm missing out because it's always fun to read neighborhood bitching on those topics, but that's what I get for living in a neighborhood that was laid out in the 1890s.

If anything, density in my neighborhood is going down - these blocks are all big three-story Victorians and Foursquares, most of which have been chopped up into triplexes (except for our house, miraculously). One by one, they're getting restored back to single family homes and marketed to tech people because gentrification is coming.

Then Nextdoor folks can complain about all the pretentious tech interlopers that are their neighbors now, and the tech interlopers can complain about dumb poo poo that no one ever cared about before.

Content:

Hey neighbor house steps, you might want to get that growth checked out :ohdear: It's big enough to anchor a motorcycle.

My Nextdoor area had a NIMBY post encouraging everyone to oppose the new Methadone clinic opening near the commercial area.

As a response to that, there was a long ungrammatical post about how you shouldn't look down on people trying to get treatment, opioid epidemic, etc. It got mostly positive responses, with a few "... but they should find somewhere else to do it" mixed in.

The ungrammatical poster then followed up with an enormous rant detailing their crime history (mostly as victim, most notably including a hostage-taking ransom payoff) but also as perpetrator (throwing rocks at cars as teenager, drugs drugs drugs) and saying that just because property prices are going up, the new residents shouldn't expect the crime to go away because the crime was here first and will always be here.

The followup post got... less positive responses

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

My Nextdoor area had a NIMBY post encouraging everyone to oppose the new Methadone clinic opening near the commercial area.

As a response to that, there was a long ungrammatical post about how you shouldn't look down on people trying to get treatment, opioid epidemic, etc. It got mostly positive responses, with a few "... but they should find somewhere else to do it" mixed in.

The ungrammatical poster then followed up with an enormous rant detailing their crime history (mostly as victim, most notably including a hostage-taking ransom payoff) but also as perpetrator (throwing rocks at cars as teenager, drugs drugs drugs) and saying that just because property prices are going up, the new residents shouldn't expect the crime to go away because the crime was here first and will always be here.

The followup post got... less positive responses

I like the idea that crime was here first and it shouldn't have to move because new residents don't like it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I love this one because it looks more climbable if you think of the left-hand view as looking up the stairs. Mostly because it looks less steep that way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is so the Uboat can’t figure out how fast your house is going.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As offset stairs go it looks OK to me

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

there wolf posted:

I like the idea that crime was here first and it shouldn't have to move because new residents don't like it.

Fighting a holding action against gentrification :911:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The small of my back hurts just looking at that. I just imagine missing that last step and going down like a sack of potatoes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

That house has bone cancer.

What is going on on the rear exterior wall?

Those are brick ties hanging out of the wall. If you don't know what they are, they are nailed to the actual wall, and go between beicks, in the mortar, to anchor the brick veneer to the wall. Likely they intended to rock that wall like the front.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They're called architects.

"Hey, this idea I will never see in person or have to live with seems like a great idea!"

Never forget:

My mind boggles.
It's not enough that they're offset stairs. It's not enough that there are no handrails. It's still not quite enough that the desk and one of it's shelves are steps, because yes, I want shoe dirt on my desk, and to not be able to use those surfaces as desk or shelf. No, the icing on this poo poo cake is that they put poo poo, including spiky fragile poo poo, *on the goddamned steps like they were shelves*.
Have these people ever actually *lived* in a house?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You know stairs are bad when you're looking at them thinking "a ladder would have been better here".

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Azza Bamboo posted:

You know stairs are bad when you're looking at them thinking "a ladder would have been better here".

Safer, certainly.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

Safer, certainly.

A step in the right direction

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like that even the stairs model is feeling unsafe enough to put his arm on the upstairs floor for stability.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I like that even the stairs model is feeling unsafe enough to put his arm on the upstairs floor for stability.

Also he can't even use both sides of the steps so he has to do a double-height step, because of all the poo poo blocking them.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

That reminds me of running deadfalls in the woods as a kid. You don't look down. As long as you keep your head up, your feet will find the way. If you look down, you're going to break an ankle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Look, you guys are complaining, but as long as you don't expect your stairs to be used by the elderly, children, people who have been drinking, people with vision problems, people with balance problems, anyone with any degree of disability, the clumsy, someone who could sneeze while on the steps, and you can be certain that your house won't suffer an unexpected blackout or any sort of seismic activity, these steps are almost as good as regular stairs!

Also you can't have anyone pass you on the stairs or come the opposite way, so best to live alone.