Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Crossposting since there's a bit of a different audience here:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Has anyone here cast any stuff in resin, and if so, what's a good brand of resin to use? My main requirements are 1) good quality casts (obviously), and 2) flexible enough that thinner bits don't snap too easily while not being super floppy. The latter seems like the hard part, since there seem to be lots of resin formulations that are overly-brittle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you live in california TAP plastics has their own brand of quick cast stuff that's fairly good. the only other ones i've tried are micromark's quickcast which is p much the same as TAP's, and their long cure super stiff resin if you need something stronger. the quickcast stuff is about the same strength as the plastic you get a model kit except maybe a bit more brittle. how thin are the parts?

e: micromark's cr-900 is the stronger stuff though it can be a pain to work with if you don't have a vacuum chamber

https://www.micromark.com/Cr-900-High-Strength-Resin

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you live in california TAP plastics has their own brand of quick cast stuff that's fairly good. the only other ones i've tried are micromark's quickcast which is p much the same as TAP's, and their long cure super stiff resin if you need something stronger. the quickcast stuff is about the same strength as the plastic you get a model kit except maybe a bit more brittle. how thin are the parts?

Thanks for the info! The thinnest I plan on going is probably around 1/32" (maybe a bit smaller in some areas, but I don't plan on having anything thinner than that that sticks out very far). These are for 32mm scale wargaming guys (which is roughly 1:60 scale). I'll take a look at TAP, since it looks like they also have some clear resin and I have a couple things I might try with that.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone know any good sources for 32 or 48 scale zombies or mutants? I had an idea for a Troma-inspired dio...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It costs a bit more, but I always like using Smooth-On products for casting and filling. This stuff is top shelf, what the pros use.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Midjack posted:

There's a really weird subculture in model railroading that put people topless, nude, or loving in all their layouts.

They're called Germans.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It costs a bit more, but I always like using Smooth-On products for casting and filling. This stuff is top shelf, what the pros use.

Any recommendations for specific stuff? Smooth Cast 320 seems ok, but I don't know much about all the various kinds.

As for the mold-making, my initial plan was to just use Blue Stuff/Oyumaru to try things out. Initially, I'm just making copies of a couple of small bits from a kit for kitbashing purposes, but I'll probably do some real silicone molds of stuff I've sculpted later on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Avenging Dentist posted:

Any recommendations for specific stuff? Smooth Cast 320 seems ok, but I don't know much about all the various kinds.

As for the mold-making, my initial plan was to just use Blue Stuff/Oyumaru to try things out. Initially, I'm just making copies of a couple of small bits from a kit for kitbashing purposes, but I'll probably do some real silicone molds of stuff I've sculpted later on.

Yeah, 320 is pretty standard for basic casting. 300 might be a bit cheaper, if you don't plan to tint the resin at all.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyone got tips for custom decal printing? I'm trying to get white text with a transparent background. but since you can't print white ink, i've been trying to print the text on white decal paper and then cut out the letters which is less than ideal. any suggestions or is it just a matter of patience with scissors and an exacto knife

Just as easy to cut masking tape as decal paper, so paint white, mask the text, overpaint?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyone got tips for custom decal printing? I'm trying to get white text with a transparent background. but since you can't print white ink, i've been trying to print the text on white decal paper and then cut out the letters which is less than ideal. any suggestions or is it just a matter of patience with scissors and an exacto knife

The low-effort-high-cost option is to have them printed for you. Bedlam Creations printed some amazing full color (+white) decals for me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

The low-effort-high-cost option is to have them printed for you. Bedlam Creations printed some amazing full color (+white) decals for me.

hmm this gives me an idea though. anyone know of any cyrillic letter decal sets

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hmm this gives me an idea though. anyone know of any cyrillic letter decal sets

I would also like to know this. Been considering the custom decal route too but I could probably make do with cyrillic sets in a few sizes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I need inspiration for fake-Soviet camo/color schemes. Anyone got a source of pics/photos of Soviet troops from the Cold War era that's better than Camopedia or random Osprey booklets?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 58

Been a while. Was on vacation, went to some festivals, ate awesome foods and worked on a lot of things in 1:1 scale in my apartment.

With issue 58 we begin working on the second planking of the belt armor by sanding/chamfering and filling the edges of the deck plates so they form a harmonious line/curve with the belt armor planking below, then we add second planking on top, for now just in the bow section.

Also got some work in on the Back to the Future Delorean and finished up the chassis for the most part. The fuel tank cleverly hides the battery box

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
For a change I have something positive to report about everyone's favorite Polish manufacturer, MisterCraft. You may also know them by their other name of MasterCraft, and they mostly release old molds from defunct manufacturers (as in 60s and 70s stuff) for cheap that have various issues regarding fit, details and quality. You can refer to the F-16A of theirs I built a few weeks ago for a good example.

About a month ago I picked up this kit of theirs for a Caravelle. I bought it for three reasons: It was cheap, it's a reasonably interesting subject, and it's got Sabena decals as an option. I read reviews beforehand so I was warned about the overall quality of the kit and that some revisions came with only the decals for two of the four advertised versions. I figured that if I got an incomplete decal sheet I'd just build one of those versions anyway.

Turns out the one I got (also the only one in the store) had not just the incomplete decal sheet, but also that it was terribly out of register, down to the carrier film not even coming close to where it should be. Along this were some serious detailing issues with some texts just being a big black blob as well as splatter and color density issues.

I've had decal sheet quality issues happen with two Revell kits in the past (never this bad though) and was able to get the sheets replaced easily in those cases through their department X. I decided to see how reliable MisterCraft might be in this regard, so I went to their site and filled out a service request. Didn't hear anything in response so I figured it to be a lost cause. I live in Bulgaria and there's no real aftersales for any brand to be found here as even Revell just refers you to the seller and other brands just have a GMail address for a local distributor that may or may not still exist and/or require you to send your request in Bulgarian before they even consider it. Along with that, the kit's an older release and not even Scalemates had a reliable release year.

Today I got home to find a relatively large, hand-addressed bubble envelope in the mail with Polish stamps on it: They sent me a new sheet, which is not only complete, but is also pretty dang perfectly in register, along with having a much sharper print. I'd still have appreciated a mail to at least confirm they received my request, but I'm glad they honored the request. The overall quality of them when I start this build remains to be seen though, but they look better than the F-16's decals ever did.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
So I have glossed the tanks and done a dark pin wash, then given them a light dry brush.

I have on a whim done some edge highlighting which may look at bit obtrusive at this scale but I think will work especially with a bit more weathering to go. What do you think?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Looks too glossy for me. Military vehicles should be done flat I think.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Greyhawk posted:

Looks too glossy for me. Military vehicles should be done flat I think.

Yeh they are glossed at the minute with future for the washes etc.

Once finished they will have a matt coat and pigment added to lower hull.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks good, the detail is popping well despite the small scale.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pierzak posted:

I need inspiration for fake-Soviet camo/color schemes. Anyone got a source of pics/photos of Soviet troops from the Cold War era that's better than Camopedia or random Osprey booklets?

Your Imagination!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Man cooks scale miniature food

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

So I bought some cheap lab 5ml spin tubes from ebay for mixing and storing thinned paint. Pretty happy with them so far. I left a couple ml of Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner in one as a test, its been 1 month so far with no evaporation or damage.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 59

Time to shake things up a bit from all that planking. We construct the third main guns body.

Now you may be wondering what happened to its range finders. Shortly after Scharnhorst started its service, it turned out that her bow section was way too low and the ship took on an inordinate amount of water. It was decided she should receive an elevated "Atlantic" bow instead. So they cut of the bow section off of the ship, slapped on the higher bow aaaaaand it turns out the foremost main guns rangefinders sight was blocked by the new bow. So they cut those off to be used elsewhere.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Lmao holy poo poo Meng.

Maybe they're trying to avoid tariffs or something.

Also, update on the 1/144 P-51Bs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so is he a little figure included in the kit or what

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so is he a little figure included in the kit or what

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tempted to get the kit just to make a mold of the figure but theres no way i'll ever summon the effort to do a flanders fields trump diorama

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is it just me or are the figure's hands comically big?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

Is it just me or are the figure's hands comically big?

Hero scale!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Also, is he making the "OK" sign with his (unrealistically large) right hand?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Apollodorus posted:

Also, is he making the "OK" sign with his (unrealistically large) right hand?

Yes. Yes, he is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

update to the cyrillic decals: peddinghaus decals in germany makes a set of cyrillic numbers/letters in a variety of scales in both red and white

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Couple more steps done on the Alfa. Took a bit of a break but I'm back at it, now.

While paint and decals were drying on that, I pulled out a bike that I started quite a while back and then shelved for no real reason. Steps 1-4 (I think) done on there now. Need to get the airbrush going this weekend.

And yeah, you can see the C10 there in that last picture. Really need to finish that off and get it off the table.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
More done on the bike. I really like building these. I think this is probably my seventh or eighth Tamiya bike.

Step 5

Step 8 (skipped a couple with bodywork)

Step 9 (those small tubes are actually brass and came with the kit)

Step 10

Step 11

Step 12 (added caliper and brake line)

Step 13

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lord, Tamiya bikes are sick

nice job, btw

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lord, Tamiya bikes are sick

nice job, btw

They're so good. Thanks!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Welp I looked into weathering without an airbrush and bought some weathering powders... Then before they got here I bought an airbrush.

So much for that idea.

After one throw-away car to learn what I was doing, this is my first serious attempt. I have to say it came out better than I expected.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
That's pretty righteous except the white writing. That needs at least a light soot smudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Welp I looked into weathering without an airbrush and bought some weathering powders... Then before they got here I bought an airbrush.

So much for that idea.

After one throw-away car to learn what I was doing, this is my first serious attempt. I have to say it came out better than I expected.

As someone whose first attempt at weathering was a Gunpla Miss Sazabi Kitbash, this looks a lot more real than my attempt. Pretty neat!