Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Son of a bitch now there’s a third stray kitten loose in our house. And this time we have no idea where it is, so we don’t know which doors to shut and our other cats aren’t quarantined.

My mother is loving retarded as poo poo. She keeps bringing these kittens inside trying to crate them so they can be taken to a shelter, but she’s old and slow and crippled and the kittens keep escaping and getting lost and then me and my dad end up having to find them.

gently caress me. :ughh:

Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Enjoy your mystery kitten?

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

jimmychoo posted:

I might just be projecting, but my cat seems so bored and sad lately. He's an eight year-old weird runt and just moved in with me in June after staying with my ex for a bit while I got settled in my own place post-breakup.
I think my ex was a bit more actively physically affectionate with cat but cat is obviously bonded to me on at least some foundational level because I adopted him and have known him his entire lil cat life and love him very much. I think in contrast my style of affection with him is pretty low-key, i.e., I'll have him sit on me while I watch TV or read and we play together every night before dinner, but things operate at a pretty chill wavelength.

I got him a window shelf but he won't jump up there himself. He's not a height-loving cat, prefers to be under stuff. He loves to look outside though, so a bit of a catch 22. Old place had a sliding glass door that he could could just sit on the rug and look out on and feel a fresh breeze, but my place has windows that are a bit high and they actually don't open fully (don't ask!!!!!). So all he can do is stick his face in the bottom two inches if he ever actually goes near one of the windows.

He loves to chase stuff like dancers and feathers, but only one that actively seems to be interesting to him right now. I got him an automatic feather chaser thing that he just watches but doesn't play with. The only thing I've gotten him lately and had success with is a wool cat cave and he LOVES IT but it isn't exactly stimulating.

I wonder if I should try getting him a kinda short cat tree? And maybe change my affection style somehow? I wish I could get a second cat because I think he'd love that, but I'm not able to.

Update: omg my cat's boredom is peaking. I tried to get him to watch bird videos on YouTube. I have bought EVERY CAT TOY :( Poor guy

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

jimmychoo posted:

Update: omg my cat's boredom is peaking. I tried to get him to watch bird videos on YouTube. I have bought EVERY CAT TOY :( Poor guy

Play more, and start rotating out toys. Does he like lights? I have a bunch of ball toys--cat and dog toys--that light up that drive Lucky nuts. A laser can be ok, so long as you redirect frustration to a doll or other toy after for the tactile sensation.

If he likes outside, consider harness training him so you can take him outside--even if he just sits down its something new. You could also start trying to train him with some simple tricks, like sit and shake and so on, depending what sorts of things motivate him. It ends up working like a puzzle to figure out how to get what he wants, and is good bonding time for you both.

It sounds like he misses the ex and the extra company that's provided by having 2 people around versus one, and there's not a lot to do for that except put the work in. If the chasers are all he cares about, spend however long playing with the chaser just to tire him out and get him stimuli.

ETA:

cat training is a cool thing you should do it anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W476fzRFBhQ

walking is fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PiuS4Qy0Y

felgs fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 21, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKYYK0n5Nw

4 years on and the cats favorite playtime activity is STILL me wriggling the teaser wand under a towel. :3:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
We got a cat for the first time and my girlfriend bought him a huge amount of cat toys. There are only two toys that he likes: the drawstring I took out of my jacket and scrunched up paper bags.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Schneider Inside Her posted:

We got a cat for the first time and my girlfriend bought him a huge amount of cat toys. There are only two toys that he likes: the drawstring I took out of my jacket and scrunched up paper bags.

Congrats you got a cat

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I dont know if this is the place to post it, but I lost my best buddy of 16 years on Tuesday morning. 1AM at night he came upstairs from the litter box, collapsed and started meowing mournfully. We rushed him to the Emergency Vet and it turned out that he had an inoperable abdominal tumor and it was beginning to bleed. We let him go the painless way at 6AM. I miss my buddy so much. I got him as a kitten when I was 12 years old. I never thought losing him would be so hard, but I still start crying almost every time i think about him.

Bubba, I love you buddy. Rest Easy, You're home now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bCr3H8MDfM

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 21, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was a beautiful cat. Rest in peace.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry to hear that :smith: Rest in peace.

Even though I only have my cats for a week now. My heart stopped when I couldn't find one of my cats this morning. searched the whole house over. Saw that a window was open. Kept searching, under the bed, bank. every hiding space I came across, spent 2 hours searching. Assumed the worst. Put a bowl of food with a box with their scent outside. Hoping they will find it, kept searching inside. Forgot to search one cabinet of the closet. Decided to check it out

The jerk was sleeping in there.

Edit: I'm looking into getting one of those automatic scooping litterboxes. Is there a certain one thats recommended?

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 21, 2018

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Sefal posted:

Even though I only have my cats for a week now. My heart stopped when I couldn't find one of my cats this morning. searched the whole house over. saw that a window was open. kept searching, under the bed, bank. every hiding space I came across, searched spent 2 hours searching. assumed the worst. Put a bowl of food with a box with their scent outside. Hoping they will find it, kept searching inside. forgot to search one cabinet of the closet. Decided to check it out

AHAHAHA, Welcome to cat ownership. Every time a door is left open by a careless person/plumber/building contractor/ clueless family friend we collectively lost our poo poo and inevitably Bubba would be on a bed or in some place we should have looked for first. The only time he actually ran out the front door was the time the cops came to ask us about a domestic violence situation that I called 911 on. the trust fund junkie neighbors after watching the drunk husband try to throw the patio furniture through their sliding glass door and "KILL HIS WHORE WIFE." Husband got tazed. Cops helped find my buddy under a bush in our front yard and all was well. Bubba and I had some good times.
Watching domestic abusers get tazed was one of them

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 21, 2018

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sefal posted:

Edit: I'm looking into getting one of those automatic scooping litterboxes. Is there a certain one thats recommended?

I have Litter Robots and they are great. If you look at their website you can find a refurbished model for cheaper than new, they are still expensive though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sefal posted:

Even though I only have my cats for a week now. My heart stopped when I couldn't find one of my cats this morning. searched the whole house over. Saw that a window was open. Kept searching, under the bed, bank. every hiding space I came across, spent 2 hours searching. Assumed the worst. Put a bowl of food with a box with their scent outside. Hoping they will find it, kept searching inside. Forgot to search one cabinet of the closet. Decided to check it out

Get them a packet of treats, feed them a bunch of the treats over a few days, then just shake the treat packet whenever you start worrying about where the cats are.

You could do it with a clicker or something too but why bother when the packet noise is self-training?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Organza Quiz posted:

Get them a packet of treats, feed them a bunch of the treats over a few days, then just shake the treat packet whenever you start worrying about where the cats are.

You could do it with a clicker or something too but why bother when the packet noise is self-training?

Our little jerk sometimes ignores treat bags, but if we put the toaster on she will appear instantly. She loves toast so incredibly much that she'll even come out from under the bed if it's pill time.

I guess it's like clicker training except we have delicious toast instead.

I'm so glad her steroid taper is almost done. Hopefully no more pancreatitis flare-ups for a while after this!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Joburg posted:

I have Litter Robots and they are great. If you look at their website you can find a refurbished model for cheaper than new, they are still expensive though.
Litter Robot is great and it's an enormous QOL improvement to only have to worry about emptying a bag of litter once a week. I've also had a Cat Genie, which is almost entirely thought free since it self-flushes and stuff, but that requires a water and drain hookup. That's a lot trickier to install and my current home wasn't amenable to putting it in a place that was acceptable to me and to the cats. But it's cheaper (initially), and it's odor free since it literally flushes away.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
They are still kittens so it seems like they can't use the litter robot until they are older.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

FelicityGS posted:

Play more, and start rotating out toys. Does he like lights? I have a bunch of ball toys--cat and dog toys--that light up that drive Lucky nuts. A laser can be ok, so long as you redirect frustration to a doll or other toy after for the tactile sensation.

If he likes outside, consider harness training him so you can take him outside--even if he just sits down its something new. You could also start trying to train him with some simple tricks, like sit and shake and so on, depending what sorts of things motivate him. It ends up working like a puzzle to figure out how to get what he wants, and is good bonding time for you both.

It sounds like he misses the ex and the extra company that's provided by having 2 people around versus one, and there's not a lot to do for that except put the work in. If the chasers are all he cares about, spend however long playing with the chaser just to tire him out and get him stimuli.

ETA:

cat training is a cool thing you should do it anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W476fzRFBhQ

walking is fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PiuS4Qy0Y

Thank you, bless you! Will report back once my cat is able to perform tons of circus tricks.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Sefal posted:

They are still kittens so it seems like they can't use the litter robot until they are older.
You can but you'd have to run it manually once a day since it won't trigger the weight requirements. I'd put it off until at least they're old enough to get desexed if only because I'd be uncomfortable with a teeny little thing trying to climb into the litterbox; my cats were 10 months old when I got the Litter Robot and they've been perfectly fine.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah I figure i'll just wait on it.

They are 2 months old. and i'll get them sterilized when they are 6 months old.
So around that time. i'll probably get the litter robot in house.
I'm gonna purchase some treats for them this weekend. Good tips. Gotta get them used to the sound of it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It may also be worth figuring out what they go nuts for, like effika's with the toaster. One cat I had growing up absolutely loved playing with plastic bags, and the sound would immediately draw him out of wherever he was hiding.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sefal posted:

We had this almost exact experience the first night we spent with our first kitten, had the door closed to the bedroom with her in there and we woke up and she was nowhere to be seen. She couldn't have left the room (unless she T-1000'd her way under the door) so we tore the room apart before for the hell of it opening one of our dresser drawers and she was sleeping on a pile of my underwear. She crawled under the dresser and climbed her way up the back of the shelves to about the 3rd one up and fell asleep there. She's too much of a chonker to fit under the dresser now so it's no longer an issue :unsmith:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Third kitten has been found and is now safe with its siblings.

I’m a little worried about them though. We moved the kittens into a safe room with food, water, litter, and no people or other cats to bother them, but they’re all curled up in the back of their crate looking frightened. I’m not sure they’ve left the crate at all since we moved them this morning. When they were outside, they were all perfectly happy, healthy-looking and playful.

We’re still researching adoption/shelter options, but I’m wondering if we need to take them to the vet before that.

Are they okay? Is this kind of fearful behavior normal for stray/semi-feral kittens? :(

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m a little worried about them though. We moved the kittens into a safe room with food, water, litter, and no people or other cats to bother them, but they’re all curled up in the back of their crate looking frightened. I’m not sure they’ve left the crate at all since we moved them this morning. When they were outside, they were all perfectly happy, healthy-looking and playful.

We’re still researching adoption/shelter options, but I’m wondering if we need to take them to the vet before that.

Are they okay? Is this kind of fearful behavior normal for stray/semi-feral kittens? :(

They've been captured by giants and left in a weird new place that smells strange(and probably of your other cats) and their mother has vanished. Being scared is quite normal in that scenario. When I move house my own cats hide under the furniture for a day or so til they realise they're not going to die. Cats are shy critters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I agree with what floofy said, and this thread is well equipped to help you. That thread is full of people who rescue and foster animals.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cythereal posted:

I agree with what floofy said, and this thread is well equipped to help you. That thread is full of people who rescue and foster animals.

I need to crosspost my stuff in that thread too. Thanks for reminding me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: God dammit wrong thread.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 21, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I apologize if this isn't really the right thread for this, but this is the only thread I could think of to ask this kind of question.

So my fiancee's aunt died and now there are 3 cats that need to go to a good home, preferably the same home. We would totally take them in ourselves but we already have 3 cats and 3 more all at once would be... we just don't think it'd be a good idea. The cats could be taken to a shelter, but then they risk not being adopted out together and they've been together for a long time. My fiancee has taken to asking around if anyone is looking to adopt some cats but I was wondering if there are any good resources we could use for finding potential adopters, or is her best bet just putting up some signs and putting up messages in facebook groups?

e: and I notice just above this post is a link to a thread that seems to be about the exact kind of thing I need info on, so thank you :) I'll go ask there

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my kittens has found out she can burrow under the sheets in my bed then sleep curled up next to my feet in the super warmth, this is adorable.

Her sister is gigantic (nearly 3kg at five and a half months) and has found out that there are now sometimes things that live under the covers and are even more fun to jump on than my feet. This is not conductive to her sister getting to nap.

Kitten tax:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We recently were given one of those cabinets for holding collapsible storage cubes.

Domino somehow managed to climb into a cube on the shelf but couldn't figure out how to get out.

I fully expect to have to free him again later today

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Patrat posted:

One of my kittens has found out she can burrow under the sheets in my bed then sleep curled up next to my feet in the super warmth, this is adorable.

Her sister is gigantic (nearly 3kg at five and a half months) and has found out that there are now sometimes things that live under the covers and are even more fun to jump on than my feet. This is not conductive to her sister getting to nap.

Kitten tax:

I am jealous of your problem. My kitten has no interest in snuggling in bed, and her desire to play with her favorite toy (the other cat's tail) means that he generally doesn't snuggle with me there much anymore either :(

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
So I just got a new cat, and he got car sick on the way to my apartment and it got all over him. So right now he's obviously stressed with the new transition and he's hiding behind the toilet, but at the same time he obviously needs a bath. How long should I wait before giving him one to stress him out the least? I was planning on doing it about an hour once he stops hiding, but I'm open to suggestions.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I wouldn’t give him a full on bath. A brief pat down with a lukewarm damp towel would suffice. Cats will clean themselves after a while. My cats were freaked out for about 24 hours after we brought them home. It’s best to give them space and a box/bed to sit in. He will be hiding for a while before he calms down.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone successfully dieted one cat and not another? Snowflake is sleek, but Ethics is turning into a pudge.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

I wouldn’t give him a full on bath. A brief pat down with a lukewarm damp towel would suffice. Cats will clean themselves after a while. My cats were freaked out for about 24 hours after we brought them home. It’s best to give them space and a box/bed to sit in. He will be hiding for a while before he calms down.

Even if he straight up reeks? If I get even remotely close to him I can smell him.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pixelante posted:

Anyone successfully dieted one cat and not another? Snowflake is sleek, but Ethics is turning into a pudge.

Microchip cat feeder? Expensive but easier than feeding Snowflake alone twice a day!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Koaxke posted:

Even if he straight up reeks? If I get even remotely close to him I can smell him.

I’d be worried if you gave him a bath right away he might hate you for a long time and you’d end up with some gnarly scars. I picked up one of my cats too soon on the first day and he freaked out and avoided me for a long time afterwards.

Do your best to clean most of it off with some towels you don’t mind throwing away (or at least bleaching). The stench will go away eventually. You may want to give him a bath later on but in my experience cats don’t react well to baths. If others have a different experience I’d be interested to hear it though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

I’d be worried if you gave him a bath right away he might hate you for a long time and you’d end up with some gnarly scars. I picked up one of my cats too soon on the first day and he freaked out and avoided me for a long time afterwards.

Do your best to clean most of it off with some towels you don’t mind throwing away (or at least bleaching). The stench will go away eventually. You may want to give him a bath later on but in my experience cats don’t react well to baths. If others have a different experience I’d be interested to hear it though.

Yeah, a full bath would be difficult to impossible. Put some baking soda in the water you wipe him down with to cut the odor. The smell of vomit is mostly due to butyric acid, which the baking soda should neutralize.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

In my experience if you have a bath yourself and soak in the tub then just as you are getting relaxed, a kitten will try to walk along the edge of it, slip on the porcelain, and get drenched.

Of course then you have a madly flailing kitten raking their claws through your flesh as they scrabble out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The health department was giving $10 rabies shots today so we took Domino out to get caught up on his. He was very vocal the entire way there but he took his shot like a champ with no claws or fidgeting or unhappy sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm told I have a week to get rid of my cats and I'm paralyzed.

One is 17 and has some elevated kidney levels that will require an ultrasound to further diagnose, with plans to schedule that being derailed by the ultimatum I got. She's still active, but has slowed down, and is a lot more vocal about things.
The other is 16 and is diabetic, needing insulin. I've had an on-and-off battle since his diagnosis to get him to stop soiling certain areas of the house. On Thursday I had to take the diabetic one to an emergency vet when he was constipated and visibly struggling to poop, which was a new problem. Worst of all, my dad has developed allergies to them. My sister and I are trying to keep them out of his way, which means keeping them in the basement as much as possible, which also means it's harder for him to go down there.

I have a $10/hr temp job, and my efforts to find a stable one arent turning up anything, and I don't know of anywhere nearby I'd be able to move to, and my dad is against the idea anyway. I don't have any friends or other family willing to take them. A shelter probably won't take them, and would be traumatic for them even if one did. And I don't know if we know enough time to find out if they're terminally ill.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 23, 2018