Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

wit posted:

Haven't seen one, would absolutely love to read one, I mean the game has essentially been out forever now. If anyone is up for making one I'm absolutely reading it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Would it be worth making it a succession game ala Boatmurdered?

I really want to do one, have done for quite a while, and I've had a few ideas - one of them was like classic DF succession, in a sense, where every colonist is a goon and they can write diary entries etc. I don't know how easy it is to transfer saves over though, especially considering they'd need to have the same mods installed. The other was just some general gimmick runs, make a scenario and hand make the colonists, have a goal in mind and do a screenshot LP with narrative.

Can we brainstorm this? I'm happy to just bam up a narrative RimWorld (was hoping to crack some art in there as well) but if we can make a RimWorld succession run that'd be great. Coupled with the mod that lets you take your spaceship of colonists to another world, you could even do a world per goon.

[edit: I say narrative, I mean I'd chuck in voting options all the time too, suggestions for various things so it'd be a good driven narrative LP]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Has anyone had a problem with surgeries using RBSE? How hard is it for my level 12 medical docs to put on a animal jaw or a bionic hand? Didn't seem to have any issues in vanilla.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been trying to get help on my missed succession fort for a while I'm almost done I just need to know if other people can launch the game lol

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1497767984

And my test op

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16R2V12LQPm3DvNC4NEdqnfqBE8itU9PP2FvZUncdBEs/edit?usp=drivesdk

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first 3 people are the only ones who signed up! So there will be plenty of room for new colonists, traders, and pirates. anyone who wanders onto the reservation will get a goon name.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mister Bates posted:

Is there some way to prevent my pigs from drinking my beer?

Is this a subtle reference to the Amber Guyger murdering of Botham Jean?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Is this a subtle reference to the Amber Guyger murdering of Botham Jean?

are you in the right thread?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Is there some way to prevent my pigs from drinking my beer?

Think of it like this, you know how people baste BBQ with beer? This is just saving you a step.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm always in the right thread. Never stop posting.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Pork Wagyu

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Viva Miriya posted:

Has anyone had a problem with surgeries using RBSE? How hard is it for my level 12 medical docs to put on a animal jaw or a bionic hand? Didn't seem to have any issues in vanilla.

I've rarely had botched surgeries with rbse unless the person is exceedingly low skill or bad setups.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Rynoto posted:

I've rarely had botched surgeries with rbse unless the person is exceedingly low skill or bad setups.

For animals, its herbal medicine, skill 10-12+ medics, and its outside because I don't have some special animal housing. For people though, I got a hospital set up, albiet without hospital beds/vital monitor unlocked yet. And we're using normal medicine.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Using any mods that maybe modify stats? With 10+ medics you shouldn't be having many problems if they're at normal or above-normal consciousness/manipulation/etc

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm using EPOE and I'm having near-constant failures, it took six save-reloads for my 11-skill doctor to successfully install a peg leg and five of the six failures were catastrophic failures

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mister Bates posted:

I'm using EPOE and I'm having near-constant failures, it took six save-reloads for my 11-skill doctor to successfully install a peg leg and five of the six failures were catastrophic failures

I mean, installing a peg leg at all on a rimworld is probably pretty darn hard, especially compared to super-advanced techno legs made of nanobots and magic. Ticket closed, mod working realistically.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Carbon jumpsuits are in Rimsenal, right? Where do you make them? I don't have the option to do so at my smithing, machining or tailoring tables...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's probably a research thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
EPOE might be loving with the surgeries' complexities, i have definitely had very few problems installing peg legs and industrial quality prosthetics with industrial meds, ~10 medicine, and a plain jane bed in an otherwise clean room.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Epsilon Plus posted:

Carbon jumpsuits are in Rimsenal, right? Where do you make them? I don't have the option to do so at my smithing, machining or tailoring tables...

It got moved to the fabrication bench, of all places. Makes sense, I guess?

PineappleGod
Feb 12, 2008
The Pineapple God has returned

Turtlicious posted:

I've been trying to get help on my missed succession fort for a while I'm almost done I just need to know if other people can launch the game lol

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1497767984

And my test op

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16R2V12LQPm3DvNC4NEdqnfqBE8itU9PP2FvZUncdBEs/edit?usp=drivesdk

Can you post the mod order xml file from your game. That would help.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I really want to do one, have done for quite a while, and I've had a few ideas - one of them was like classic DF succession, in a sense, where every colonist is a goon and they can write diary entries etc. I don't know how easy it is to transfer saves over though, especially considering they'd need to have the same mods installed. The other was just some general gimmick runs, make a scenario and hand make the colonists, have a goal in mind and do a screenshot LP with narrative.

Can we brainstorm this? I'm happy to just bam up a narrative RimWorld (was hoping to crack some art in there as well) but if we can make a RimWorld succession run that'd be great. Coupled with the mod that lets you take your spaceship of colonists to another world, you could even do a world per goon.

[edit: I say narrative, I mean I'd chuck in voting options all the time too, suggestions for various things so it'd be a good driven narrative LP]

Well theres the modlist mod (dear god this game is held together with mods), but yeah I think the number of mods installed would snowball unless it was decided which were and weren't permitted because there are some absolute game breakers out there. My only worries are 1.0 killing saves eventually and pawns natural tendency to become 20 at everything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah for sure sorry the game takes about 15 minutes to launch on my 4ghz quad core. So i think some pairing will be needed, as that's unreasonable for most right?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

wit posted:

Well theres the modlist mod (dear god this game is held together with mods), but yeah I think the number of mods installed would snowball unless it was decided which were and weren't permitted because there are some absolute game breakers out there. My only worries are 1.0 killing saves eventually and pawns natural tendency to become 20 at everything.

I generally use quality of life mods, a few that should really be base game stuff, and a couple that are more aesthetic like MoreFloors. And extra bionics. Bogging the game down with every mod under the sun just renders it unplayable and unbalanced. For a plain old narrative one where you guys make the choices but I play through it, I'd just stick to the ones I normally use but for a succession game I'd suggest sticking to just a core handful of QoL mods.

[edit: the mods I'm using at the moment:

Quality of Life (don't change the game mechanics or only mildly and reasonably):
Allow Tool
Moody
Avoid Friendly Fire
Pharmacist
Trading Spot
Relations Tab
Medical Tab
Prepare Landing
More Planning
Skilled Stonecutting
RimWorld Search Agency
HelpTab
Numbers
Colour Coded Mood Bar

Aesthetic or non-essential/Minor changes (just for looks or mild mechanic change):
Feed the Colonists
Labels on Floor
Efficient Utilities - - - because vanilla power drain is ridiculous
Realistic Rooms
Animals Logic
Replace Stuff
Pawns Are Capable - - - the massive mood loss offsets the ability to allow anyone to do anything

Extra (significant mechanic or gameplay balance change):
EdB Prepare Carefully - - - essential for narrative LP
Misc Map Generator - - - sticks some nice unique ruins around rather than random walls, basic rectangles and the ancient danger
RimFridge - - - because gently caress room fridges
MadSkills - - - because honestly, gently caress skill deterioration
A Dog Said - - - because animals need love too
RimQuest - - - much more flexibility in things to do
Set Up Camp - - - can be massively exploited, but useful if you don't be a cheating bastard with it
Let's Trade & More Trade Ships - - - because trade ships are too infrequent, and MTS adds a nice variety of different traders and goods
RBSE Lite Edition - - - full prosthetics and bionics for every injury in the game
Psychology - - - smoothes out all the social stuff
More Faction Interaction - - - adds so much goddamn stuff you guys
Infused - - - you could argue it's balanced because it generates infused gear for everyone else too

It's a long splurge of mods there but even with the Quality of Life mods your mileage may vary.

Phoenix Taichou fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 23, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
FYI, most of those mods you have listed as "Quality of Life" make the game considerably easier, so adjust accordingly. Part of the vanilla game is the fact that you don't have full control of your pawns, and mods like "Avoid Friendly Fire" attempt to automate human decision making.

This is fine, and not game breakers, but many of them are not in Vanilla because they'd need to be balanced against other management tasks to retain difficulty.

Also, "Pawns are Capable" and "Efficient Utilities" are way more than minor changes, those are both significant, especially Pawns are Capable. That literally lets your pawns do things that would otherwise be impossible.

(I use a bunch of mods when I play typically, it's not bad or a problem or anything. Just understand that "Quality of Life" doesn't mean letting you skip cutscenes or changing menu configurations, but actually substantive game changes usually making the game easier).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The only "will not ever do" I can understand is the violence-thing. Historically speaking there have been people who have decided to get shot over not serving in the army.

However, "not doing manual labor", "not making food" etc. are just stupid limitations. There has never been a case where someone chooses to starve over picking apples and eating; or froze to death instead of trying to make a makeshift coat or start a fire. They may and should complain a lot about it, but that at least makes sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've said it before but the game makes infinitely more sense if you assume it's a form of reality television and the rimworlders are all hand picked to be the most socially inept and mentally unstable contestants the glitterworlds can find.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Lockback posted:

FYI, most of those mods you have listed as "Quality of Life" make the game considerably easier, so adjust accordingly. Part of the vanilla game is the fact that you don't have full control of your pawns, and mods like "Avoid Friendly Fire" attempt to automate human decision making.

This is fine, and not game breakers, but many of them are not in Vanilla because they'd need to be balanced against other management tasks to retain difficulty.

Also, "Pawns are Capable" and "Efficient Utilities" are way more than minor changes, those are both significant, especially Pawns are Capable. That literally lets your pawns do things that would otherwise be impossible.

(I use a bunch of mods when I play typically, it's not bad or a problem or anything. Just understand that "Quality of Life" doesn't mean letting you skip cutscenes or changing menu configurations, but actually substantive game changes usually making the game easier).

I feel like I just got told off by the teacher, but you're right, I didn't think about it in the sense of the level of control over the pawns. This is why I think it's tough to choose mods to suit a succession game when people have different ways of playing, so maybe a succession game would be better pure vanilla. It'd get on my tits a bit though not being able to handle things the way I normally would.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i could be convinced to roll in a Rimworld LP but dear loving god i am not getting anywhere close to that modlist

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Yea, it doesn't even have any of the Warhammer40k mods, what the hell? :sun:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Most mods can be added in the course of the game, right? Have someone establish the colony and LP it in Vanilla or near-vanilla, then let each person take the save, add their own mods, and develop it from there. Less like a boatmurder, but still an LP.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Succession Rimworld might be hard due to the way things can end suddenly. Malaria outbreak and a raid, and boom, LP over.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Succession Rimworld might be hard due to the way things can end suddenly. Malaria outbreak and a raid, and boom, LP over.

Could probably allow for a bit of savescumming if the colony ends up getting wiped. Just reload and don't include that in the LP post and it's like it never happened.

People would have to be on the honour system that they're only doing this to prevent total wipes, though. General misfortune should still be allowed to happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not necessarily, you could certainly elect to just have everyone run off the map if that were to happen.

It is, in fact, very difficult to utterly lose at Rimworld because the game is unwinnable, but very easy to do so through stubbornness.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

i could be convinced to roll in a Rimworld LP but dear loving god i am not getting anywhere close to that modlist

Yeah a succession game needs to have an extremely minimalist mod list if anything. Allow tool, maybe prepare carefully for setting up the starting pawns you want, that's about it. Maybe a couple of other purely UI related mods.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there any way to limit cleaning to just indoors or just places with flooring? I have a huge home zone and it is a huge waste to clean the outside where I keep my herd animals. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there any way to limit cleaning to just indoors or just places with flooring? I have a huge home zone and it is a huge waste to clean the outside where I keep my herd animals. :(

You can create zones for your cleaners, or just remove the home zone from areas you don't want clean.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So tip for recruiting. When reducing resistance, you can get low rolls if the prisoners are unhappy. I found if you smoke pot with them before chatting, the reduce resistance works better.

This is definitely micro managing, but I am playing naked brutality right now and I need this pawn to join me sooner rather than later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On no, half of my muffalo herd got the plague!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can create zones for your cleaners, or just remove the home zone from areas you don't want clean.

Hmm... Both of those seem not ideal.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Cleaning Area mod seems to be up your alley, Virt.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There is a cleaning zone mod in the workshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Whats up with solar flares? I had one pop up and the text says it will go away in about a day but it's been probably over a week now and it's still here. Is it bugged?