Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My unironic lightweight travel setup is
500cm
80mm f2.8
Sekonic L358
20x provia 100f

And that’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

That Sekonic is pretty heavy.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
We'll be flying this year, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport my 7D, 150-600, tripod, and a few other small lenses that doesn't involve buying a special case. I suppose I'll just end up doing everything carry-on, but I'm not sure how much of a hassle security is going to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Security don't care about camera gear. Though Chicago TSA did have to inspect my stuff manually because I guess the cluster of batteries I had stuck in there didn't scan well enough to identify on their TV.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Ah, that's cool. I'd only have a few batteries. I've also thought about checking my stuff and padding the hell out of it, but that just seems like asking for it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

When I took my 150-600 to Montana, my camera bag was my carry-on and the lens went into a second backpack with my laptop, kindle, etc as my personal item. Tripod was packed into my checked bag - tripods are sturdy so I wouldn't worry about that. With my new bag I mount my tripod on the side of the bag and had no issues getting through security or stowing it on two recent trips.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Erwin posted:

Tripod was packed into my checked bag - tripods are sturdy so I wouldn't worry about that.

Good point! That thing's gettin' checked for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty much how I do it. Amazon Basics camera bag for my main gear (and I’ve been lucky it’s never been weighed because I’ll pack that thing to the brim) and tripod wrapped up and checked in my main luggage.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

President Beep posted:

We'll be flying this year, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport my 7D, 150-600, tripod, and a few other small lenses that doesn't involve buying a special case. I suppose I'll just end up doing everything carry-on, but I'm not sure how much of a hassle security is going to be.

I keep all my camera gear with me, not checked, tripod+head in the carry-on duffel bag, camera and lenses in backpack (“personal item”). 20% of the time the tripod bag gets a visual inspection, guess it looks like a pipe bomb or something.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s my best bet for basic post while travelling?
I have an a7iii and an iPad. How do I get from camera to iPad? Can iPad deal with raws at all?
I assume Lightroom for iPad is about as good as I can do? Tbh if I can crop and tweak exposure/contrast I’ll probably be happy enough.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I dump RAW files to my i-devices via USB and then pull them into the LR app.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any good suggestions for where to get stuff printed? My girlfriend wants to frame one of my shots and I realized I have no clue where to go for that.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any good suggestions for where to get stuff printed? My girlfriend wants to frame one of my shots and I realized I have no clue where to go for that.

I’ve used Mpix and Bay Photo and have nothing bad to say about either. Bay is my go-to these days.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Does anyone here use LR/Instagram publishing in Lightroom Classic? I’m having issues with it lately and I’m wondering if it’s just worth it to share another way

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Dudeabides posted:

Does anyone here use LR/Instagram publishing in Lightroom Classic? I’m having issues with it lately and I’m wondering if it’s just worth it to share another way

FB/Instagram recently made a bunch of changes to the way their APIs handle posting from external apps. Whatever plugin you are using to push to Instagram is probably falling foul of that. My usual pipeline for Lr to Instagram is to publish to Flickr first, download the image from the Flickr app to my phone, then reupload it to Instagram from there. You can share directly from Flickr to Instagram, but it compresses the poo poo out of your photos.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

What’s my best bet for basic post while travelling?
I have an a7iii and an iPad. How do I get from camera to iPad? Can iPad deal with raws at all?
I assume Lightroom for iPad is about as good as I can do? Tbh if I can crop and tweak exposure/contrast I’ll probably be happy enough.

I use an sd->lightning adapter to import pictures onto the iPad then into Lightroom CC. The two stage import process is annoying, but once you get stuff into Lightroom it’s pretty full featured.

If all you want to do is a basic crop and simple lighting the editing tools built into Photos may be good enough.

tk fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 25, 2018

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have to get an adaptor then to plug in?
I thought I might be able to Wi-fi or Bluetooth over pics or something. Apologies for silly question it’s the first time I’ve had a camera with so many connections and stuff :)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
You can wifi over jpgs, but not raws, with the Playmemories Mobile app.

If you are shooting in raw (at least on my a7), the jpg you will receive from the camera is 1616x1080 — I assume that's the preview jpg the camera creates on its own — I have the app set to collect the original-size jpg. I assume if you shot in raw+jpg or something it would shoot over the full-size image.

It's also slightly inconvenient, because ios doesn't have a nice way to change wifi networks, and you need to connect to the camera's wifi every time you want to copy something over. I suppose that's less of an issue if you just send over a day's worth of shots in one go.

But yeah, if you want raws you'll need to get an adapter so the ipad can see your sd card or the camera itself.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thank you very much. I guess I’ll have to grab an adaptor. Slightly annoying but Nevermind :)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tk posted:

The two stage import process is annoying

It really is. I also hate having to go into my device’s pictures later and delete the images.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have something like the ravpower FileHub (which I don't recommend at this point, its copy speed is abysmal due to usb 2 speeds) you can long press on a raw file and import it into LR on your phone. It's actually a pretty slick mobile workflow.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Thank you very much. I guess I’ll have to grab an adaptor. Slightly annoying but Nevermind :)

If you have a usb card reader then you can save some cash and just get the lighting>female usb dongle.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rio posted:

If you have a usb card reader then you can save some cash and just get the lighting>female usb dongle.

I have this reader. If I hook it up directly to my iphone it tells me that there's not enough power to operate the device. I think my ipad mini does the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with the reader handling multiple card formats? I dunno.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

President Beep posted:

I have this reader. If I hook it up directly to my iphone it tells me that there's not enough power to operate the device. I think my ipad mini does the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with the reader handling multiple card formats? I dunno.

Weird, I have a super cheap multiple format card reader and don’t get that issue. Maybe yours draws power for some reason? I mean mine does too since it has an activity light on it...I wonder what the difference is.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Been trying to decide what film I want to bring on my upcoming trip and I decided on Cinestill 800T. I plan to shoot it during the day and at night. Since it’s Tungsten balanced there’s going to be a blue cast in photos taken under daylight conditions. Cinestill recommends using a warming filter but is this something I can fix entirely in post with no filter required?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rio posted:

Weird, I have a super cheap multiple format card reader and don’t get that issue. Maybe yours draws power for some reason? I mean mine does too since it has an activity light on it...I wonder what the difference is.

The only thing I can see on mine is a little power indicator light as well. Maybe the design of mine is less-than-optimal? Hell if I know...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

birds posted:

Been trying to decide what film I want to bring on my upcoming trip and I decided on Cinestill 800T. I plan to shoot it during the day and at night. Since it’s Tungsten balanced there’s going to be a blue cast in photos taken under daylight conditions. Cinestill recommends using a warming filter but is this something I can fix entirely in post with no filter required?

https://github.com/pforret/Lightroom/tree/master/Develop%20Presets/onOne%20Photo%20Filters%20and%20Gradients

Even a Lightroom preset to do the filtering for you!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

birds posted:

why not just shoot portra 400

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So, newbie question.

Depth of field is a function of focal distance, aperture and subject distance. Given that cameras with larger sensors have a larger focal distance for the same field of view, does it follow that you can get a shallower DoF on a full-frame camera than an APS-C of M43 camera at the same distance from subject and field of view?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

WhatEvil posted:

So, newbie question.

Depth of field is a function of focal distance, aperture and subject distance. Given that cameras with larger sensors have a larger focal distance for the same field of view, does it follow that you can get a shallower DoF on a full-frame camera than an APS-C of M43 camera at the same distance from subject and field of view?

Yes.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cool thanks. Good to know I'm figuring this stuff out correctly. Funnily enough it was because I started reading the "ultimate guide to DoF" and something I read earlier on made that click, but then further down there's actually a section on exactly this:

https://www.photopills.com/articles/ultimate-guide-depth-field#step11

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

WhatEvil posted:

Cool thanks. Good to know I'm figuring this stuff out correctly. Funnily enough it was because I started reading the "ultimate guide to DoF" and something I read earlier on made that click, but then further down there's actually a section on exactly this:

https://www.photopills.com/articles/ultimate-guide-depth-field#step11

This why cell phone photos generally have virtually everything in focus.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

WhatEvil posted:

So, newbie question.

Yes, it's because you are either using a longer lens or standing closer to your subject to get that same field of view with a larger sensor.

If everything is equal - aperture, focal length, distance to subject - the depth of field will be the same no matter how big or small your sensor is. You'll just have a bigger or smaller field of view.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I am just learning to shoot while on vacation and I am having a dumb issue. When I go outside, my lenses fog up. Is there anyway to prevent this, or something I should be doing?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Thomamelas posted:

I am just learning to shoot while on vacation and I am having a dumb issue. When I go outside, my lenses fog up. Is there anyway to prevent this, or something I should be doing?

Leave the camera in the car. Air conditioning to humidity is bad.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The suggestion for winter shooting, besides keeping the camera above the recommended manufacturer's limits :rolleyes: is to let the camera transition slower from cold to warm conditions by keeping it in the bag for about an hour. Less than ideal, but a little forethought should save any major inconvenience.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Thomamelas posted:

Keeping the lens cap on can help too while you wait for it to adjust to the new environment

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

um excuse me posted:

The suggestion for winter shooting, besides keeping the camera above the recommended manufacturer's limits :rolleyes: is to let the camera transition slower from cold to warm conditions by keeping it in the bag for about an hour. Less than ideal, but a little forethought should save any major inconvenience.

You can make the transition faster by keeping the camera in a thinner bag when you make the change in temps. The key thing is to let the condensation form on the bag, not the camera/lens - so a ziploc bag works just as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a dew heater. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Quick film question: Dusted off a hand-me-down Yashica Electro 35 today and I plan on trying it out. How do I go about deciding which film to use? Having shot digital for just about a year now I’ve found that I tend to enjoy and edit for bold colors. Can I specifically find that in a film?