Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Damien Maia is a treasure. He's one of the very few "pure" BJJers left, and yet he is still incredibly dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

And has since "fallen in love" with BJJ and is now a purple(?) belt? I don't recall him saying he was immune though, just that he wasn't going to lay on his back and spread his legs for anyone.

I believe hes a brown belt now.

Count Roland posted:

Damien Maia is a treasure. He's one of the very few "pure" BJJers left, and yet he is still incredibly dangerous.

Hes Sao Paulo old school. I have to admit though, It was sad watching his takedown attempts on Woodley.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Our gym and our affiliates have a ton of kids coming up in MMA who are primarily BJJ based. Every one of them wrestles, boxes and does muay thai too but their base is BJJ. Garry is obviously one of them but there are a lot of other young unknown guys working their way up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've just registered to the NY grappling workshop camp if other goons are interested in participating.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I will be there as well and we'll have a SA dinner get together afterwards on Saturday if that works for folks. Even if you don't want to attend the seminar and just want to grab dinner and drinks feel free to come meet me and Odddzy. I can choose another day too.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 26, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mekchu posted:

A week old so probably not super new or exciting but Sakuraba & Barnett goofed around/grappled a bit for some video helping promote Quintet.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7W9Dq06JhY

That's a cool way to finish an ankle lock at 3:50. I want to play around with that.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone use voodoo floss before? Does it work?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Thanks for the tip about sparring with some newer white belts. It did give me a lot of perspective on what I've learned

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thanks for the tip about sparring with some newer white belts. It did give me a lot of perspective on what I've learned

Animated training dummies man.

Actually, I really enjoyed rolling with the big strong new guys, the hockey players or athletes that at 19 would come in and think they were hot poo poo. I'm tall but have never been very muscular, so I enjoyed testing myself against these strong aggressive guys that were doing their best to rip my head off. I figured it gave me a sort of "street" training, or at least more so than pure sport training.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It was also cool because it let me see my mistakes from an outside perspective. Like one guy I rolled with wasn't using his hips to help break guard and I sometimes forget to do that too, and it was cool seeing from the other end what happens when you don't use your hips.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its also a good opportunity to teach. I enjoy showing stuff and helping others just for the act itself. But teaching a move can help you understand it better yourself, as often you show it to someone and it works slightly differently (because their body is different) or they ask you an unexpected question.

BJJ is so cool like that. In boxing or whatever, someone can show you a technique but it often requires a full body movement be done at high speed and with accuracy. This can be very hard to pickup on or change on the fly. In BJJ you can so easily improve a move with minor mechanical changes, with no speed or strength requirement. "Put your foot here, instead of here" can make all the difference in the world-- its nice to see it both in your own game, but also in helping with someone elses.

Tonight was a good class, so I'm a bit high on the sport right now I suppose.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, it felt good to help a dude with stuff I used to struggle with. Like, I felt kind of embarrassed teaching a dude when I am still a white belt too, like I didn't want to be too big for my britches, but there were definite moments where I was like "oh I used to do this, here's what you should do"

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

spb posted:

Anyone use voodoo floss before? Does it work?

I have forearm pain/fatigue that I'll use the voodoo floss on, it seems to help provide temporary relief.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Count Roland posted:

BJJ is so cool like that. In boxing or whatever, someone can show you a technique but it often requires a full body movement be done at high speed and with accuracy.

ydksab

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Living the goon dream. Never stop posting, even if you're being strangled unconscious.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man, you ever grab your gi the next day, see how wet it still is, and be like "how did I sweat that much?"

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Wash your drat gi after every training session.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nestharken posted:

Wash your drat gi after every training session.

I have multiple gis that I wear once throughout the week and I wash them all at once. I let then air dry on a hanger after I train.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Some of the senior guys were having a talk after no gi class this morning. We're seeing an annoying trend of newer less experienced guys spamming leg locks - particularly heel hooks. We think that they think that is the DDS game. It is not. That's a complete misunderstanding. I've rolled with some of the best competitive leg lockers since they were blue belts. They do NOT spam leg locks. For example, Eddie is so good at leg locks in part because his ground game is so complete. He has incredible grips and control and an incredibly difficult guard to pass. Because of this he can create leg exposure like no one else I know. His ability to create leg exposure with his control and ability to off balance puts him into position to enter strong advantageous leg entanglements and his development of the control, hierarchy of position and finishing mechanics allow to take advantage of it. It is not just going inverted into a reverse X guard then elevating into an inverted heel hook. Without a complete game, you will not be effective at high level. Garry and Gordon also have complete games. They are not leg lock spammers. So don't treat leg locks as a short cut, you will get smashed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Yuns posted:

Some of the senior guys were having a talk after no gi class this morning. We're seeing an annoying trend of newer less experienced guys spamming leg locks - particularly heel hooks. We think that they think that is the DDS game. It is not. That's a complete misunderstanding. I've rolled with some of the best competitive leg lockers since they were blue belts. They do NOT spam leg locks. For example, Eddie is so good at leg locks in part because his ground game is so complete. He has incredible grips and control and an incredibly difficult guard to pass. Because of this he can create leg exposure like no one else I know. His ability to create leg exposure with his control and ability to off balance puts him into position to enter strong advantageous leg entanglements and his development of the control, hierarchy of position and finishing mechanics allow to take advantage of it. It is not just going inverted into a reverse X guard then elevating into an inverted heel hook. Without a complete game, you will not be effective at high level. Garry and Gordon also have complete games. They are not leg lock spammers. So don't treat leg locks as a short cut, you will get smashed.

I appreciate this, thanks. I don't really have any leg game at all, so this is welcoming to hear I'm not just kidding the bus.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've actually got a question regarding Eddie's guard game. I'm sure you've got some pointers on this. But as you've said before, his guard is really really really good. What I'm curious about is what makes it so great? What are the things he hyperfocuses on when hes working bottom? What's the first thing he looks for when he's about to engage? I'd wager it's some or a combo of attacks that creates kuzushi but is there a way of putting what he does in an order of hierarchy?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have multiple gis that I wear once throughout the week and I wash them all at once. I let then air dry on a hanger after I train.

do you and the people you might live with possess the sense of 'smell'

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

That's a really good point. I think people saw leg locks as this holy grail of BJJ where a white belt could take down a black belt just on heel hooks alone. It's not that simple.

I'm only allowed to do ankle locks and because all the while belts I roll with don't know poo poo about how to defend them or even how to perform them, I find getting them is easy but I know this is just a fluke. Like a lion eating some stupid gazelles, the gazelles will eventually learn. And so relying on one move is dangerous to someone's development in the long run.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

I appreciate this, thanks. I don't really have any leg game at all, so this is welcoming to hear I'm not just kidding the bus.

Leg lock game is part of a complete balanced breakfast.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

do you and the people you might live with possess the sense of 'smell'

I have a balcony

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I dont think I've even learned a leg lock yet or even been put in one.

We seem to focus mainly on collar chokes and arm bars

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of leg locks, Craig Jones seminar tonight heck yeah

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Yuns posted:

Our gym changed the rules to first two rounds of rolling "no leg locks!" cuz we had a similar issue.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

My professor has a rule that heel hooks are for purple belts and up only.

Regarding leglocks more generally, I've heard him say that his philosophy is that whites and blues should be more old-school, focused on learning how to pass the guard and on advancing and maintaining position once passed. As a result submission techniques I've learned so far are similar to what Mel said - chokes / armbars / shoulderlocks.

I do wish we would do a little more focus on legs, but more from a defensive perspective, as I am aware that I don't know the positions and submissions well enough to recognize when I'm in trouble and so basically tap immediately when a guy gets on my leg.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Our school also has a hard "no knee reap" rule for all rolling which probably limits leg lock options

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Speaking of leg locks, Craig Jones seminar tonight heck yeah

Send him my regards

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is loving gross. Wash your poo poo.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He thought he was saying that he has a few gis but he only wears them once a training session. Then, after he’s expended all of his clean gis(only wearing them once per class), he washes them all when he needs more?

That seems reasonable to me(it’s what I do)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

He thought he was saying that he has a few gis but he only wears them once a training session. Then, after he’s expended all of his clean gis(only wearing them once per class), he washes them all when he needs more?

That seems reasonable to me(it’s what I do)

Yeah exactly. It seems unreasonable to spend three dollars and sit around a laundromat at 9pm as soon as I get out of class every time I train when I can just hang dry them outside and wash them all on laundry day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

(I'm going to try to close the communication loop a bit here to make sure I'm understanding correctly in asking my followup question)

By "spamming" are you saying that these guys just go for leg locks at the expense of all other opportunities, and often to the detriment of their position?

Because I'm a leg-fetish blue belt, but I consciously try not to do that, and I want to make sure that I'm not shooting myself in the foot (:haw:) somehow in my training here:

Typically I try to produce leg-lock opportunities rather than attack them as plan A, and when I get a leg entanglement my focus is usually working toward what I view as an end-game position (saddle with the secondary leg tucked into my other armpit) rather than diving for the first outside heel hook. My other obsession is in finding ways to turn those leg entanglements into sweeps or ways to gain position (into leg drags, e.g., or back takes off of running man escapes). I'm trying to view this as a way to develop a complete game, and I'll often go through a whole training session without initiating a leg entanglement (though I do have training partners who do everything they can to spam leg locks on me...)

So Yuns - does this sound to you like "blue belt leg lock spammer" behaviour or more of a healthy attitude to learning?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My instructor is a big follower of the DDS stuff, so leg attacks are encouraged and drilled and used (carefully) in sparring. Leg attacks are not given a higher priority than other aspects of BJJ though, indeed, Danaher's Back Attacks DVD got a lot of play at our school.

I like this approach. Focusing on fundamentals is all well and good, but I don't think lower belts should be prevented from learning moves, especially popular moves they're likely to run into in certain comps and at open mats.

Learn everything, just do it safely.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raUOzIkDt5k

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

no joke I was sitting here a few minutes ago and realized a technique we learned last night could be slightly modified to become the Rings of Saturn and now all I can think about is trying to get it to work tomorrow

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Due to the adaptive nature of jiu jitsu in general, I feel like the leglock obsession, just like any new fad, is something that will auto-correct eventually. Whites and blues will see a period of unrealistic success due to opponents not being exposed to that aspect, since they're busy working on fundamentals. Whether its deliberate or not, eventually the competitive fundies will develop a workable defense against the leg game. They'll spread that at their school/area and the leglockers will find themselves ineffective. If the leg guys don't have any other technique options, that's pretty much going to be the end of the road for them. Eventually leglock offense/defense is going to become part of the fundamental BJJ game. Furthermore, having a bunch of mooks focusing on one specific type of technique at the expense of all other techniques means that specialization will become fundamental all the sooner. In my mind those guys are unintentionally hampering their own game so that they may elevate everyone elses.

I do understand though if club leadership would be concerned about the entire club going heedlessly down a dead end road, especially at any school with some competitive prestige behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ihop posted:

Due to the adaptive nature of jiu jitsu in general, I feel like the leglock obsession, just like any new fad, is something that will auto-correct eventually. Whites and blues will see a period of unrealistic success due to opponents not being exposed to that aspect, since they're busy working on fundamentals. Whether its deliberate or not, eventually the competitive fundies will develop a workable defense against the leg game.

Don't be so sure. IBJJF's want to pretty much forbid any leg submission beyond a straight ankle lock in the gi will keep a significant part of the population ignorant of the leg game in general with really no penalty. It's not absurd for someone to win pans or worlds by knowing how to escape a straight ankle lock or knee bar and never knowing a leg submission.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 26, 2018