Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There's only been one new girl added since the teacher! It's definitely not for everyone though, I think it is fantastic but it is fantastic at being a funny harem manga which doesn't make it any less of a harem.

I thought Alice and Taiyou was great too and I almost started buying Jump weekly here in Japan just to be able to keep reading it but those magazines are huge and hard to get rid of so I just decided to wait for the tankos and hope it doesn't get canceled.

David is definitely some low brow humor but I think the art elevates some of the more base gags to be much funnier than they'd be on their own. With Gintama and Saiki both gone though, there's room for gag manga in Jump so we'll see if it can keep up.

I disagree on I'm From Japan though, I think that one is great. The art is not great but it's a funny and pure-hearted celebration of Japan's own obsessive with local stuff and hometowns which I'm all about, and if they keep up the trend of the Ultimate Move of every Pre-fist-ure (what a great translation) Style being based on a famous mangaka from that prefecture then I'd definitely like to read more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
People should make a harem thread so I don't have to read posts about bad series itt when I'd rather read posts about Jujutsu kaisen being confusing because I also find it so

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen has weirdly jank dialog at times and I don't necessarily think it's the scanlator.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/thatguyCD/status/1044723181783863297

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of Jujutsu, we have two more chapters. The first which features a fight and some much needed kindness. The second which features a really funny joke. The punchline being humanity and friendship. :unsmigghh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

Speaking of Jujutsu, we have two more chapters. The first which features a fight and some much needed kindness. The second which features a really funny joke. The punchline being humanity and friendship. :unsmigghh:

Its moving really loving fast, this manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its moving really loving fast, this manga.

it's certainly covering some ground.

I don't have too much issue when it jumps ahead then tells you what you missed in a flashback but some of the transitions are a little too abrupt and that's when it gets confusing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Best friend is back!
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/81/page/1

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoy the dynamic of them both trying to set each other up with Ogata.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ogata is still the best girl and she needs to end up with her best friend. :)

What I really enjoy about this chapter is that it's not about a girl wondering about her feelings about Nariyuki but instead two friends trying to set up a good friend with another good friend. It's also one of the few times where Nariyuki is aware of the feelings of another human being.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
loving dorks.
I loved that panel where they both pop out yelling about each other doing the exact same thing.
It's also neat to have a girl into a romance series who is not into the main character, but instead is supporting her friend.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

loving dorks.
I loved that panel where they both pop out yelling about each other doing the exact same thing.
It's also neat to have a girl into a romance series who is not into the main character, but instead is supporting her friend.

My favorite part is that Sekijo is willing to make up an excuse to not go but rather than leaving she just intends to stalk Uruka instead. She's great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

People should make a harem thread so I don't have to read posts about bad series itt when I'd rather read posts about Jujutsu kaisen being confusing because I also find it so

it does seem like most of the posts in here are about we never learn lately

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
maybe instead of asking people to stop posting about something you should just post about the thing you want to see posts about

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't care what people post about. it's just something I've noticed

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It's because it's the best Shonen without a thread.

But I also don't know if it needs a thread since there's not much to discuss besides gushing over how cute it is every week.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Manga chat will probably move over to the anime thread when the anime comes out since the exact same thing happened with Nisekoi, where it only got posts in Shonen thread until the anime happened, and then all the manga readers moved over there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
new jujutsu kaisen

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/28/page/1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aww and I was all looking forward to Itadori getting a proper fight.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I almost wonder if it's not working up to a time skip or something, the way it has really emphasized how the MC is still a kid and that he's absolutely not up to taking on the stronger curses yet, as seen in this new chapter since he was doing damage but was significantly outclassed. I like that it's giving him a lot of room to grow, but now I'm really concerned for Nanami again :ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

We're back on the clock boys.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Eden Zero is out (on comixology, can’t find a link, sorry) and I love Hiro’s big dumb simultaneous love letter to the Tezuka Star System and RPGs.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 3, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up with Jujutsu Kaisen, and I like the part where he comes back to life and is like "Yo! I'm back!" and hi-fives the blindfold guy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sheriff Evans' Lies goes here because it's a shounen right?

Well here's the latest chapter

Just kiss already, you two huge doofuses :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's been a long-rear end time, but a new chapter of birdmen is finally out. https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/birdmen/en/9/44/page/1

predictably, it is good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's been a long-rear end time, but a new chapter of birdmen is finally out. https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/birdmen/en/9/44/page/1

predictably, it is good.

man I wish this updated more often

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

predictably, it is good.

Yellow really loves that incredibly ominous face shading, especially for Takayama. The seven wings is also a neat hook although what gathering them all together means begs the question of the origins of the Birdmen because the biblical allusions are hard to ignore

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jujutsu Kaisen is really good. WSJ has been on a roll lately with its new series; even the harem one is good. Ever since Naruto/Bleach ended there's been some really great stuff.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think Jujutsu is still missing "something" to really make it a standout series. Kind of like how I feel about Kimetsu as well, they are both good series, but also the first series from both authors and it feels like they are a bit too rote to really be memorable but still have strong character moments and good action.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kimetsu no yaiba started off rough but it got great when it found its footing. I've been more invested in these early chapter of jujutsu kaisen than I was at that point in kimetsu, but it feels less polished in both the story and the art. it kinda feels rushed in the way a series about to be cancelled does but that doesn't seem to be the case

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bounced off of kimetsu no yaiba pretty hard but for some reason jujutsu kaisen really hit that "shounen I like" spot. Generally when I pick one to read like that it ends up getting cancelled so that's what I've been expecting pretty much this entire time :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

depending on how far you got, I'd recommend giving it another chance. it's not very good at the beginning

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read up til the guy with the boar mask showed up and at that point I was like lol ok nope I'm done. Rather than getting more into it I was more interested right at the beginning and the longer I read the less I wanted to keep going.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Everything Burrito posted:

I read up til the guy with the boar mask showed up and at that point I was like lol ok nope I'm done. Rather than getting more into it I was more interested right at the beginning and the longer I read the less I wanted to keep going.

You stopped reading when they introduced the best character.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I immediately hate the best character as soon as he shows up then this is probably not a manga that lines up with my taste whatsoever :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, bad taste. i have heard of this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
To be fair Inosuke is really annoying and one note, but he grew on me over time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Eden Zero is out (on comixology, can’t find a link, sorry) and I love Hiro’s big dumb simultaneous love letter to the Tezuka Star System and RPGs.

Yeah, I enjoy how Space Lucy is just Wizard Elie and if he does another comic she'll become Insert-Situation-Here Rebecca.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I bounced off of kimetsu no yaiba pretty hard but for some reason jujutsu kaisen really hit that "shounen I like" spot. Generally when I pick one to read like that it ends up getting cancelled so that's what I've been expecting pretty much this entire time :v:

Yeah, Jujutsu Kaisen has more of a unique and interesting feel to it than Kimetsu no Yaiba for me. Kimetsu no Yaiba is still good, but the basic "skeleton" of it is more cliche than Jujutsu Kaisen's to me, even if it's executed extremely well. I find myself more genuinely interested in the actual plot events of Jujutsu Kaisen. Jujutsu Kaisen actually gives me a bit of a "seinen action series" vibe.

Edit: I should mention that Jujutsu Kaisen originally felt very cliche to me, and only became interesting past chapter 10 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu is a fun read but man the art is kinda rough. I get that it's supposed to be stylized but it doesn't really stand up compared to the rest of the series in the magazine.

The action is really hard to read at times.