Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I do them with a crosscut sled on the table saw with a stop for length. Radial arm saw does well too-you've just got to have a stop or you'll never cut both faces the same. Cut the shoulders that way and then rip off the cheeks on the bandsaw or an upright tenoning jig. If you want centered tenons you can also just do the whole thing on a crosscut sled with a dado set. Also on the table saw you can go ahead and cut the top and bottom off and it all comes out square so you've got a shoulder on all 4 sides.

If you're doing them by hand, it helps to make the inside shoulder ever so slightly shorter than the outside so the outside shoulder always pulls nice and tight to the leg. Not as strong as two perfect shoulders, but it looks nicer.

Looks great. What kind (kinds?) of wood? Some of it looks like beech and some looks like sapele or mahogany and I can't figure it out.

It's all "Indonesian mahogany" i.e. some random tropical hardwood that looks like mahogany for the most part. I got it really cheap off of Craigslist from a guy that must have had some access to wood they use for shipping heavy equipment or something. the wood is in boards about 7' long and around 2" square, thus the narrow laminations. I got 50 boards for around $200CAD so I won't be complaining about nail holes.

Oh and for the legs and aprons I used wood I got from another guy claiming to be selling something similar but his was closer to 2" x 3". It was also in much worse shape as he had it just sitting stacked up in his yard out in the rain for who knows how long. Some of it was rotted and it definitely was a bunch of different species. If you were to inspect the legs and aprons closely you'd see they are all a bit different and some have bug holes in them.

Oh, as for the tenon's. I did those pretty sloppy. I used a cross cut sled but the sled itself came with the saw and fits too loosely in the mitre slot so there is some slop plus I didn't use a stop block so I was just cutting to a line by eye. I definitely could have taken my time and done a better job there in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm building a Nicholson bench out of SYP. Is there any sense in finishing it for protection, or is the protection that my benchtop cost $12, so don't sweat it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Light coat of BLO?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The d8 is actually pretty trivial, because the cuts are all at 90 degrees. Zip off four faces, tape the faces back down to give support, flip the piece over, zip off the other four. The d10 is harder almost entirely because I can't align the cuts with a fence; I'm freehanding it. I'd really like to have a disposable hand or something that doesn't care if it touches the blade. :v:

Your suggestion to do stop cuts and finish up with a handsaw is a good one. I'm not entirely certain I understand how your pin-based approach works though. Is there some more conventional application of the technique you could link to so I can get a feel for the intent?

EDIT: ha! Stop cuts plus handsawing works!

There's some noticeable sawmarks where I stopped the saw and backed out, but I can fix that by being more diligent about cutting on the correct side of the marked line, and then sanding more. But this proves that the approach is at least viable. Thanks for the suggestion!
The pins/holes are just to index the work, much like indexing work on a lathe. 5 holes drilled 72 degrees apart that line up with a pin in the jig. Put the pin in a hole, make a cut, rotate the piece to the next hole, and you’re making the next cut 72 degrees away. Rinse, wash, repeat, etc. For a one-off, doing it by hand like you did is probably the best, easiest way.

Huxley posted:

I'm building a Nicholson bench out of SYP. Is there any sense in finishing it for protection, or is the protection that my benchtop cost $12, so don't sweat it?
A coat or two of BLO or danish oil is cheap and easy and will help prevent staining. I say that, but oiling my bench has been on my ‘oh I’ll do that one of these days’ list for about a year.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I usually pour out finishes that I'm using into small Tupperware cups so I don't contaminate the container. I can never guess how much finish I really need so any leftover, I brush off the bench and just wipe it on. Same for other heavy use shop furniture.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 1, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Speaking of finish I wanted some paste wax so I made some. When I bought the beeswax I picked up white, natural and some black wax, hoping I'd end up with three different finishes.

In person there isn't a visible difference. On the plus side I've got a whole bunch of finish to use now, plus half a bottle of BLO.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Huxley posted:

I didn't bother.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

This is kinda random, but I bought a teak bed frame from the 60s that uses cam locks and bolts (I think this is what they're called? similar to IKEA stuff?) and its in pretty good condition except it is squeaky as gently caress. The sides are not completely flush with the headboard and end boards (where the posts are) and a couple of the metal bolts that the cams lock into are a little loose. I don't THINK it's going to collapse but it sure sounds like it. Is there anything I can do to fix this or make it feel a little more solid? A friend suggested wood glue but that sounds like a good way to make it difficult to disassemble and wouldn't i need to make sure the ends were firmly pressed to make sure the glue had good contact?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you take out the hardware and the wood is all in good shape, it's just wobbly when it's as tight as it'll turn, put a couple of big fat washers behind the cam bolts and tighten it back up. Repeat as necessary.

If you've still got wobble because the frame doesn't meet the headboard flush, you can tighten it up then shim the gap gently.

If it's loose because the wood is falling apart, it's a bigger issue, obviously.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hi. I’m doing baby’s first cutting boards for Christmas presents this year. I’m using Purple Heart, oak and maple.

Here is my status as of now, please ignore the saw blade burn marks.

The oak and the maple are not as contrasting as I’d like them to be. Is there any stain or finish, food safe, that someone can recommend that might make the oak darker than the maple?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

How thin is it? I like the pattern

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How thin is it? I like the pattern

Each strip is 22 mm wide. I gained an appreciation for the metric system while working on these.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hi. I’m doing baby’s first cutting boards for Christmas presents this year. I’m using Purple Heart, oak and maple.

The oak and the maple are not as contrasting as I’d like them to be. Is there any stain or finish, food safe, that someone can recommend that might make the oak darker than the maple?

Test scraps first with whatever finish you are planning on. Wood does funny stuff once you start rubbing oil on it and it may turn out fine. Especially oak, which can get trippy finished anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, once you put finish on it I'd wager that the contrast will be significantly stronger.

Looking good, in any case! I don't usually use oak for cutting boards; its grain is a little too open for my tastes. But it looks great!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AFewBricksShy posted:

"Food safe" and "stain" almost never go together. You can make a dye out of black walnut husks that is natural and old timey, and I imagine food safe, but it'll kind of just turn everything brown and probably bleed out if it gets real wet. I think as they age the oak will go more brown/pink depending on oak spp. and the maple will go more golden and it will look stellar. It looks great as is, I think. Whenever I see cool endgrain cutting boards with wood that looks like its glued up cross grain I think they're going to explode if they get wet, but then I remember it's all endgrain and it's going to be okay and just look awesome.

Today I remembered why I always try and rip big chunks of solid wood on the bandsaw. 8" wide 10' long 8/4 african mahogany board (which is normally very stable?) bowed open 3" when I ripped it. Fairly straight, even grain too, but I guess it was secretly some funky reaction wood or had a bad time in the kiln.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My sister knows she’s getting this for Christmas and has already said she’s most likely going to use it as a serving tray, but I’m sealing it with food safe mineral oil and beeswax anyway, so I’m not too concerned about the porosity of the oak so much.

I’m head over heels with the purple heart though.

Here’s the one I did for my mom.

That is maple, Purple Heart and walnut.
I still need to sand and seal it though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Huxley posted:

If you take out the hardware and the wood is all in good shape, it's just wobbly when it's as tight as it'll turn, put a couple of big fat washers behind the cam bolts and tighten it back up. Repeat as necessary.

If you've still got wobble because the frame doesn't meet the headboard flush, you can tighten it up then shim the gap gently.

If it's loose because the wood is falling apart, it's a bigger issue, obviously.

I guess I assumed that the bolts would be permanently affixed and I’m not sure why. They would just be screwed in then and I should be able to safely unscrew them/tighten them?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Today I remembered why I always try and rip big chunks of solid wood on the bandsaw. 8" wide 10' long 8/4 african mahogany board (which is normally very stable?) bowed open 3" when I ripped it. Fairly straight, even grain too, but I guess it was secretly some funky reaction wood or had a bad time in the kiln.

I hate fuckers who flash dry lumber for a quick turnaround buck. Not saying that happened here, but it's what I had similar situations with.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Huxley posted:

Test scraps first with whatever finish you are planning on. Wood does funny stuff once you start rubbing oil on it and it may turn out fine. Especially oak, which can get trippy finished anyway.

Yeah, once you put finish on it I'd wager that the contrast will be significantly stronger.

Looking good, in any case! I don't usually use oak for cutting boards; its grain is a little too open for my tastes. But it looks great!

AFewBricksShy posted:

My sister knows she’s getting this for Christmas and has already said she’s most likely going to use it as a serving tray, but I’m sealing it with food safe mineral oil and beeswax anyway, so I’m not too concerned about the porosity of the oak so much.

I’m head over heels with the purple heart though.

Here’s the one I did for my mom.

That is maple, Purple Heart and walnut.
I still need to sand and seal it though.

Gorgeous! One thing I noted (although I had “black” walnut, was that once I mineral oiled it, the walnut and Purple Heart became almost equally dark. That is to say, the contrast all but disappeared. I (maybe ignorantly) assume it has to do with how the purple heart is so loving dense and the walnut was not, thus could retain much more oil.

Just a thing to note.

If your sister wants it to be more serving trayish, and you want more of a sheen on it... (A finished look) you can put on mineral oil, and sand with successively higher and higher grits.

So basically:
Wet it (water)
Mineral oil let sit for 5 min
Sand oily 400 (wipe clean)
Mineral oil 5 min
Sand oily 800 (wipe clean)
Mineral oil let sit for 5 min
Sand oily 1000 (wipe clean)
Mineral oil 5 min
Sand oily 2000 (wipe clean)

Wait overnight
Beeswax/paste

You can get it to have a pretty nice, lacquery look if you want.

=========
My question:

I’m ready to seal my stained red oak and cherry headboard. I’m not trying to cut corners here but it’s cooling off and getting damp in the PNW.
How few coats of poly can I get away with and still have good “headboard levels”* of protection?

* like, for a table I’d do lots of coats, because it needs to take a beating. Does a headboard??

And do you think poly is the way to go? I’m just looking for simple, durable, and ideally, low off-gassing time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Feenix posted:

* like, for a table I’d do lots of coats, because it needs to take a beating. Does a headboard??

Depends on who's using it. :pervert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Might as well have built a door because I walked right into that one...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This! I overlooked this post, but red oak specifically is verboten because of the open grain.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stultus Maximus posted:

We made a lot of 4-poster beds where I used to work, and there was always this awkward moment when we moved the old bed at delivery of "what're we going to find under/behind this mattress." I also learned never to ask what happened when someone brought a broken bed in to get repaired.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I hate fuckers who flash dry lumber for a quick turnaround buck. Not saying that happened here, but it's what I had similar situations with.
I don't know if it is drying related or not, but I've seen it happen a decent bit lately in a few different lots of African mahogany. Seems to happen mostly with kind of stringy/fuzzy, softer pinker stuff. I guess it's because it is from such a wide geographical area and a few different species in the same genus, but African mahogany seems to have a ton of variation. Some is hard and splintery and heavy and stable and some is soft and fuzzy and some is perfect and pleasant as genuine mahogany. I haven't quite figured out how to tell how they're going to act when buying them in the rough. I don't love sapele for hand work, but it is at least much more consistent. Walnut or cherry or maple just always seem like every other board of the same species except some color variations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mr. Mambold posted:

This! I overlooked this post, but red oak specifically is verboten because of the open grain.

I’m 99% sure that it is white oak

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

We made a lot of 4-poster beds where I used to work, and there was always this awkward moment when we moved the old bed at delivery of "what're we going to find under/behind this mattress." I also learned never to ask what happened when someone brought a broken bed in to get repaired.

Speaking of, I tripped and fell against the footboard of my bed. The bed looks kind of like this:

The horizontal turned piece on the footboard cracked, but not all the way through. Is there anything to do about this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of, I tripped and fell against the footboard of my bed. The bed looks kind of like this:

The horizontal turned piece on the footboard cracked, but not all the way through. Is there anything to do about this?

Dab some glue into the crack with a toothpick or something.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

if its a large crack use a tourniquet to "clamp" it while the glue dries.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

And if it's a hairline crack too small to get a toothpick in, get some really thin viscosity superglue at a hobby shop and it will wick way up in there. Razor blades are nice thin glue spreaders in cracks too.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I’m 99% sure that it is white oak
To paraphrase Peter Follansbee on red vs white oak, 'if it's white it's red, if it's green it's white, if it's pink it's red, and if it's brown it's white.'

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And if it's a hairline crack too small to get a toothpick in, get some really thin viscosity superglue at a hobby shop and it will wick way up in there. Razor blades are nice thin glue spreaders in cracks too.

I use 2p-10 thin a lot and its crazy to see how strong the capillary action can be

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I made a thing that doesn't wobble!

Still gotta make the deadman, but it's pretty much done.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

bobua posted:

oh hell yeah

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

bobua posted:

:gizz:

Great work man

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's a good-looking bench. Any idea how much it weighs?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

That's a good-looking bench. Any idea how much it weighs?

Thanks!

I don't really have any idea. Its about 80 inches long, 24 inches wide, and a little over 4 inches thick. Each leg is 3.5x4 i think, hard maple and walnut.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

bobua posted:

Very nice

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know red oak is known to be very very porous for end grain, etc, but is it ok enough used edge grain for a non cutting food surface? Like a serving platter thing.?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Pretty much done this cabinet, just need to add drawer bottoms.

This will be the last piece of furniture I build at this shop, we're moving at the end of the month to a new city so everything is being packed up to move. Hopefully I can take some nice pics of this before we move, but until then this crappy pic will do. It's cherry with quilted maple for the drawer fronts and panels.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feenix posted:

I know red oak is known to be very very porous for end grain, etc, but is it ok enough used edge grain for a non cutting food surface? Like a serving platter thing.?

Depends on if the food is anything moister than crackers. It's porous on the face, everywhere it has pores. Maybe put a bartop finish on it, idk.

edit

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This will be the last piece of furniture I build at this shop, we're moving at the end of the month to a new city so everything is being packed up to move. Hopefully I can take some nice pics of this before we move, but until then this crappy pic will do. It's cherry with quilted maple for the drawer fronts and panels.

Yowza. You rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This is outstanding and inspiring!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Depends on if the food is anything moister than crackers. It's porous on the face, everywhere it has pores. Maybe put a bartop finish on it, idk.

Yeah maybe I’ll just have to stain and varnish it alongside my headboard and make it a little keys tray or something... thanks!