Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Feenix posted:

I know red oak is known to be very very porous for end grain, etc, but is it ok enough used edge grain for a non cutting food surface? Like a serving platter thing.?
It's just that the grain is open and can trap bacteria and crap. White oak isn't any better really. It still has the same coarse, open grain, it just has tyloses stopping up the endgrain so it's more water/rot resistant. Face grain, edge grain, end grain doesn't really matter, it's got little holes for salmonella all over. Mahogany and walnut also have open (though not as coarse/open) grain and are occasionally not recommended for cutting boards for that reason, but plenty of people do it and I haven't heard of any of them dying yet. I wouldn't cut raw meat on an oak board, and be aware you can't really get it completely spotlessly sanitized, but I don't think you'd have a problem serving stuff off it. If you're worried about it or want to cut raw meat and veg on the same board and be able to really get it clean, stick to close grained stuff like cherry and maple.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Pretty much done this cabinet, just need to add drawer bottoms.

This will be the last piece of furniture I build at this shop, we're moving at the end of the month to a new city so everything is being packed up to move. Hopefully I can take some nice pics of this before we move, but until then this crappy pic will do. It's cherry with quilted maple for the drawer fronts and panels.

That's gorgeous. Is the maple veneer? Hard to find that stuff solid. You got a really nice honey color on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Goddamnit, I used to find this thread inspiring. After the last few pages, I find it intimidating and am now going to burn all my projects and tools so no one ever has to lay eyes on them again.

Seriously, kudos to the bevy of great projects in this thread lately. You guys rule.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Goddamnit, I used to find this thread inspiring. After the last few pages, I find it intimidating and am now going to burn all my projects and tools so no one ever has to lay eyes on them again.

Seriously, kudos to the bevy of great projects in this thread lately. You guys rule.

This is my favorite thread at SA ever and even though I am nowhere on some of these cats’ level, it has pushed me to do more, be more, buy more, and try more than I ever would have on my own. I love woodworking. I only discovered this in the last year or so. It’s the best!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I find it intimidating and am now going to burn all my projects and tools so no one ever has to lay eyes on them again.

...said every one of those dudes you admire like fifty times

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Best way to learn is to gently caress up, you will know exactly what you did wrong and how to do it right next time...and how to "fix" it (hide it, change it, etc).

The bookcases I am working on are now 63" tall instead of 64" to hide an extremely stupid mistake I made :downs:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

JEEVES420 posted:

Best way to learn is to gently caress up, you will know exactly what you did wrong and how to do it right next time...and how to "fix" it (hide it, change it, etc).

The bookcases I am working on are now 63" tall instead of 64" to hide an extremely stupid mistake I made :downs:

Man I was so proud I routed most of my dados properly however...

That vertical is stained already because it USED to be a leftover, being used to test a finish, but due to a similar mistake, ended up being the one piece with the same dimensions as the other uprights. I measured the dado positions wrong, so I ended up two inches too high on all of them :doh:

Thankfully that stain is the color the wife decided on, so I don't have to buy a new sheet of plywood.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We could just as easily make a thread of "little mistakes that were too annoying or expensive to fix."

I spent a couple hours getting a beautiful circle out of a replacement table-top, went all the way around it routing the edge then hosed it up the last 6 inches. Lifted on me just enough to take a bite out.

Made me mad as absolute hell when it happened, but 6 months later it eats just fine, I learned a lesson (get a better router, don't get lazy just because the first 125 inches went perfect). And honestly it took me 2 or 3 minutes of running my finger around the edge to even remember where it was.

On to the next thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Feenix posted:

This is my favorite thread at SA ever and even though I am nowhere on some of these cats’ level, it has pushed me to do more, be more, buy more, and try more than I ever would have on my own. I love woodworking. I only discovered this in the last year or so. It’s the best!

Same and :hellyeah:

That workbench and the dresser are both badass.

We put in a bid on a house this weekend, it has a very large basement, half finished, half unfinished, big bulkhead and easy stair access. Wife already agreed that I could knock out the dividing wall on one side to expand the shop later on if needed. I'd always want more room like anyone, but it's going to be really nice, unfinished working area is like 300-350 sq ft already.

Bonus while driving around open houses I saw a dust collector someone tossed on the curb just hours before. It needs new cloth and vinyl bags for it, but its a 1HP collector on a mobile base. Works fine and the impeller and motor look brand new. It's not the best one ever (Steel City 65110) and the company went out of business but its probably going to be good enough for the few power tools I will have in the 1st years of the shop and this saves me a ~$200 right off the bat.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Man I was so proud I routed most of my dados properly however...

That vertical is stained already because it USED to be a leftover, being used to test a finish, but due to a similar mistake, ended up being the one piece with the same dimensions as the other uprights. I measured the dado positions wrong, so I ended up two inches too high on all of them :doh:

Thankfully that stain is the color the wife decided on, so I don't have to buy a new sheet of plywood.

I was putting the groove for the bottom shelf on 2 bookcases so 4 cuts. Did one, did two, did three...wait that was the same side as the other two :saddowns: Cut a strip of scrap plugged the groove, planed it flush, and cut an inch off the top so that the 3in top trim now covers it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Anyone here collect Disston saws? I'm looking for the two handles for a No. 554.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

I was putting the groove for the bottom shelf on 2 bookcases so 4 cuts. Did one, did two, did three...wait that was the same side as the other two :saddowns: Cut a strip of scrap plugged the groove, planed it flush, and cut an inch off the top so that the 3in top trim now covers it.

I had to do similarly with a mortise on my last piece: I marked one endpoint, measured out the size of the mortise, marked again, cut it...and discovered I'd measured in the wrong direction. :doh:

As a result, though, I got to learn how to make a grain-matched plug. And the plug is basically invisible unless you know to look for it, and it doesn't affect the functionality of the piece at all.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

That Works posted:

Same and :hellyeah:

That workbench and the dresser are both badass.

We put in a bid on a house this weekend, it has a very large basement, half finished, half unfinished, big bulkhead and easy stair access. Wife already agreed that I could knock out the dividing wall on one side to expand the shop later on if needed. I'd always want more room like anyone, but it's going to be really nice, unfinished working area is like 300-350 sq ft already.

Bonus while driving around open houses I saw a dust collector someone tossed on the curb just hours before. It needs new cloth and vinyl bags for it, but its a 1HP collector on a mobile base. Works fine and the impeller and motor look brand new. It's not the best one ever (Steel City 65110) and the company went out of business but its probably going to be good enough for the few power tools I will have in the 1st years of the shop and this saves me a ~$200 right off the bat.

The start of an.. interesting thread saga

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The start of an.. interesting thread saga

Let's hope not! By knock out wall I mean probably just end up putting in a double door in a partition wall between the finished and unfinished spaces.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

mds2 posted:

Anyone here collect Disston saws? I'm looking for the two handles for a No. 554.

Yup, and nope. They're findable but I'd recommend looking in spaces that aren't populated strictly by tool collector vendors (I got my 48" 554 cheap from an antique farmstyle decoration vendor since apparently crosscut and wood-frame bow saws are popular old timey wall ornaments). There are folks who sell just handles but they realize that they're selling to collectors, and the prices reflect that. À la carte 'helper' handles are rare and a bit pricey if you're looking for something authentic and brand-/model-specific. Just like anything with old tools, you're gonna find more stuff if you're willing to put in elbow grease in restoration and wait for just the right diamond in the rough to pop up. If you're super picky you can also buy era-specific throughbolts, nuts, and medallions for fairly cheap.

Thankfully, Disston's timber line had the simplest handles of any of their products. If you get your hands on some apple wood it'd be fairly easy to replicate one for the main blade. Much less so with the helper handles, though, since they require shaped steel with threading and a couple different parts. I still don't have the helper handle for mine but it's still perfectly usable for everything shy of felling actual big-rear end trees.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I finished a bench. It was my first time hand cutting any real joinery, but in the end I got it to fit well enough. Finished by charring the wood with a propane torch, cleaning the surfaces, then tung oil. I'm moderately happy with it. I learned a lot by doing it, so the next project will use more expensive wood (so not pine/fir).

[...]I find it intimidating and am now going to burn all my projects and tools so no one ever has to lay eyes on them again.[...]

Me too. But I'm building things anyway. Hopefully the worst thing that happens is I have to buy another part of a dead tree.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Yup, and nope. They're findable but I'd recommend looking in spaces that aren't populated strictly by tool collector vendors (I got my 48" 554 cheap from an antique farmstyle decoration vendor since apparently crosscut and wood-frame bow saws are popular old timey wall ornaments). There are folks who sell just handles but they realize that they're selling to collectors, and the prices reflect that. À la carte 'helper' handles are rare and a bit pricey if you're looking for something authentic and brand-/model-specific. Just like anything with old tools, you're gonna find more stuff if you're willing to put in elbow grease in restoration and wait for just the right diamond in the rough to pop up. If you're super picky you can also buy era-specific throughbolts, nuts, and medallions for fairly cheap.

Thankfully, Disston's timber line had the simplest handles of any of their products. If you get your hands on some apple wood it'd be fairly easy to replicate one for the main blade. Much less so with the helper handles, though, since they require shaped steel with threading and a couple different parts. I still don't have the helper handle for mine but it's still perfectly usable for everything shy of felling actual big-rear end trees.

I found a 54" in a barn sale the other day for $10 in pretty darn good shape. It has both handles but the wood is pretty worn out. I've looked around a bunch on the internet without any luck so far in finding replacement handles. I think I could easily replicate the main handle, but I have no idea how to go about cutting the slot for the blade.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jhet posted:

I finished a bench. It was my first time hand cutting any real joinery, but in the end I got it to fit well enough. Finished by charring the wood with a propane torch, cleaning the surfaces, then tung oil. I'm moderately happy with it. I learned a lot by doing it, so the next project will use more expensive wood (so not pine/fir).

Me too. But I'm building things anyway. Hopefully the worst thing that happens is I have to buy another part of a dead tree.

drat, that looks great.

SYP? How’d you like doing the shou sugi ban?

E: saw that it was Douglas fir

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 3, 2018

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So if you remember I asked about refinishing a bed frame earlier, tried the old English and cleaning route which didn't work and decided to strip sand stain and varnish. I finally got through the striping and sanding, which was indeed a ton of work, and am trying to decide on stain color. I'm pretty sure this is just some kind of basic pine, any recommendations? I bought a golden oak color stain at home depot but now I'm second guessing myself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Test your colors out somewhere inconspicuous to get a feel for what they'll do to the wood. Otherwise it's pretty much just a matter of taste. :shrug:

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's gorgeous. Is the maple veneer? Hard to find that stuff solid. You got a really nice honey color on it too.

Thanks and yes the maple is a veneer, I've never seen quilted stuff solid around here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Spikes32 posted:

So if you remember I asked about refinishing a bed frame earlier, tried the old English and cleaning route which didn't work and decided to strip sand stain and varnish. I finally got through the striping and sanding, which was indeed a ton of work, and am trying to decide on stain color. I'm pretty sure this is just some kind of basic pine, any recommendations? I bought a golden oak color stain at home depot but now I'm second guessing myself.

Yeah test it. But if you want a suggestion I like Antique Walnut from General Finishes (Wipe on).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Friend bought a house that had a trash compactor. Trash compactor died after like 6 months. He wants to replace that hole in his cabinets with a hideaway cabinet for a garbage can, and I'm staying at his house rent free for a few weeks with nothing to do, so doing this project has become one of my projects

Got everything basically sorted out, making a kinda lovely cabinet door by edge joining a couple of pieces of poplar and staining them to sort of match his other cabinets, but

god drat

why do router bits gotta be so expensive?

Wanted to get one of those nice wide ogees to kind of match his other cabinets but gently caress if I'm dropping like $80 on a bit I'll use like 3 times. He's getting a 1/4" roundover on his cabinet door and he's going to have to like it.

Also the hinges I got require a metric forstner bit which is annoying as well.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

Wanted to get one of those nice wide ogees to kind of match his other cabinets but gently caress if I'm dropping like $80 on a bit I'll use like 3 times. He's getting a 1/4" roundover on his cabinet door and he's going to have to like it.

If they're normal 35mm Euro hinges a 1 3/8" bit works fine. Still kind of an odd size, but not too hard to find.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh man, Rockler has started stocking live edge slabs in smaller more financially manageable sizes. (Think large cutting board size for ~30 bucks or so...)

I’m gonna bite on a few!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Test your colors out somewhere inconspicuous to get a feel for what they'll do to the wood. Otherwise it's pretty much just a matter of taste. :shrug:

That's fair. And appreciate the aged walnut suggestion further down. Will home depot let me try out a couple stains and return the ones I don't want? Feels a little scammy to do that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How does pine take dyes? You may want to look into that as an option, they behave pretty differently from stains and can open up a world of options. You can color the wood to pretty much anything, without forcing it darker. Or, for instance, you can use them to actually get that deep espresso color without sacrificing depth. You can get some pretty convincing color changes, and if I recall, some woods that are blotchy under stains are great with dyes. Or maybe I have that the wrong way around. Either way, dyes generally offer a ton more options and flexibility.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 4, 2018

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

mds2 posted:

I found a 54" in a barn sale the other day for $10 in pretty darn good shape. It has both handles but the wood is pretty worn out. I've looked around a bunch on the internet without any luck so far in finding replacement handles. I think I could easily replicate the main handle, but I have no idea how to go about cutting the slot for the blade.

Nice find, they're good saws! You could cut a decent-sized block of whatever wood you like, pattern it out, stick it in a vise, and cut the blade groove first with a hand ripsaw (carefully, of course). Try to use a saw with a kerf as close to that of the blade as possible. All you have to do is get that one cut right and you have a handle in the making. You can use the saw's bolt holes to mark for drilling later, and you can cut/shape the rest of the handle to suit you. Half the fun of restoring old tools is the little workarounds and processes you find for yourself; have fun and experiment!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
@spikes32. I did a side table for my son’s room out of pine with a golden stain. Your wood should hopefully be old enough you don’t need to worry about sap pockets causing splotchy, but I used a pre-stain wash to even it out. Worked fine and I don’t have any inconsistencies. The golden stain turned very yellow with some orange. Didn’t work for my taste, but my son liked the color he picked.

Phone posted:

drat, that looks great.

SYP? How’d you like doing the shou sugi ban?

E: saw that it was Douglas fir
Thanks. Learned a lot building it, and it’s level. The floor is not. :shrug:

I hesitated to call it that because I’m using fir and not Japanese cedar, but it was fun using a very large blowtorch. Well, once I got my flame dialed in at least. It turned out more red than I expected, but it works. Next time I’ll try whatever cedar I get in the US because I think it would look nice.

I’m wishing I’d finished my picnic table like this, but I’m not sure I want to try to manage moving a 10’ table around for firing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

Friend bought a house that had a trash compactor. Trash compactor died after like 6 months. He wants to replace that hole in his cabinets with a hideaway cabinet for a garbage can, and I'm staying at his house rent free for a few weeks with nothing to do, so doing this project has become one of my projects

Got everything basically sorted out, making a kinda lovely cabinet door by edge joining a couple of pieces of poplar and staining them to sort of match his other cabinets, but

god drat

why do router bits gotta be so expensive?

Grizzly always had reasonably priced router and shaper bits in the past. Hope you've got a drill press for the hinges. Also, I'd put a slide-out shelf on the bottom, makes it more convenient.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner level projects that are also good gifts? My favourite woodworking projects have been stuff like

- Cribbage Board
- Coasters
- Bottle Openers
- Blanket Ladder
- Toilet Paper Caddy

etc

Prefer youtube videos over pdf/plans

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What tools do you have? Cutting boards are mechanically pretty straightforward, but they're made of pain if you don't have a good way to flatten them (belt sander, thickness planer, or router flattening jig). Small wooden boxes can be a good excuse to practice your box/dovetail joints, and you can flock the interior and put in some dividers to make a jewelry box or something. Small children can get building blocks, which are also a good opportunity to practice cutting curves (for arches), doing routing on fancy pieces, etc.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Got a lathe? Make wooden dildos. People pay big $ for nice ones

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

zapplez posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner level projects that are also good gifts? My favourite woodworking projects have been stuff like

- Cribbage Board
- Coasters
- Bottle Openers
- Blanket Ladder
- Toilet Paper Caddy

etc

- Picture frames
- Beer totes (to fit bottles or maybe growlers)
- Carved spoons
- Spatulas
- Canoe paddles

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wow, splinters much you sadist? Do a youtube or gtfo

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

do you need to stick with the "food safe" finishes? I assume friction finishes wouldn't hold up well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've been given access to an enormous amount of free 8' 2x1s, obviously it's garbage wood but I'm finding a few uses for it - what's a recommended finish for garden furniture to let it last a couple of years at least?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've been given access to an enormous amount of free 8' 2x1s, obviously it's garbage wood but I'm finding a few uses for it - what's a recommended finish for garden furniture to let it last a couple of years at least?

Spar urethane.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yards and yards of electrical tape.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

These handles I made for some big lathe gouges could definitely do double duty, maybe I’ll go into production.

zapplez posted:

- Cribbage Board
- Coasters
- Bottle Openers
- Blanket Ladder
- Toilet Paper Caddy

etc

If you have a lathe, you can make all kinds of fun gifty sort of stuff. Candlesticks, pepper grinders, pens, Christmas ornaments etc. Frame and panel trays with sides involve some joinery but nothing too tricky and are a nice present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Grizzly always had reasonably priced router and shaper bits in the past. Hope you've got a drill press for the hinges. Also, I'd put a slide-out shelf on the bottom, makes it more convenient.

I’ve got one of those mini drill presses that just chocks into a hand drill which is sub-optimal but should work

And yeah, the dude had bought a little uhhh bin on a slide and had not gotten any farther into figuring out the situation so I’m building around that

Also this loving opening is a hell of a trapezoid but I think it’s kinda going alright so far

Also may have cobbled together a pretty decent match on the stain