Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ah, movie/video game villains and a joke character from toriyama's series before dragon ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Onmi posted:

Well, you see if Goku is only a good person because he cracked his skull and isn't a good person because his grandfather raised him to be one. Then everything is amazing.

Seriously the only person in-canon whoever said Goku was sent to Earth to take it over, was Raditz, who didn't know poo poo. As for Goku being a rowdy child... he was. The very little we see of him with Granda Gohan, he's jumping on the table being a brat. Nothing has changed except HEAD TRAUMA not being the reason Goku's a good person.
I thought the story was that Grandpa Gohan was able to take care of li'l Goku but it wasn't until he busted his head open that he became a sweet dork instead of a little poo poo. That doesn't necessarily change his moral valence, although one suspects that non-head-bonked Goku might not have asked Bulma where her testicles were.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

ah, movie/video game villains and a joke character from toriyama's series before dragon ball

Yes, unlike the rich achievements of Saiyan scientists such as...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

c'mon that's not fair and you know it. they were dead before the series ever started and toriyama had no reason to make some up

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
even the interstellar travel was probably jacked from the tuffles or provided by Freeza

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Saiyan Space Program would be a hilarious game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one guy just throws the other ones into the air as hard as he can

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the deal with Saiyans is that they had plenty of variety as a people and a civilisation, but much like with Klingons you get the warrior caste bullying everyone else into respecting them first and foremost, and everything else is secondary even if it's utterly essential to keeping their civilisation functioning. They were happy to sign up with Freiza as his genocide squads because the technology and money (and food) he had to offer meant they didn't have to spend time on boring things like science and agriculture.

Goku (despite his brain damage and scattershot education) and Vegeta actually seem to be pretty intelligent, capable of operating advanced technology with just some basic instruction, and they show a lot of intelligence, creativity and guile when fighting. Saiyans in general aren't dumb, their society just didn't respect education. (and it's likely that they were deliberately encouraged by both Freiza and King Vegeta, since developing their own science and tech might make them too independent and/or dangerous) Vegeta, who would have memories of Saiyan society and was brought up as royalty, certainly doesn't seem to mind shacking up with probably one of the most brilliant scientific minds in the universe.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

dr gero and bulma's family are outliers and you know it

e: some poo poo might just be illegal too. beerus polices some technologies and races that actually know about him wouldn't go against what he says. like time travel is a known thing but nobody does it outside of earth

Whis was genuinely surprised Bulma was able to figure out how to actually do it, meaning its probably super rare for people that don't cheat with time rings.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Manatee Cannon posted:

saiyans had interstellar travel so their standards are at least higher than earth's

Most of their tech was taken from the ruins of the Tuffles or given to them by the Frieza force. They invented bullshit DNA though and have seemingly rudimentary understanding of cloning if they grow their kids in pods.

poo poo, maybe this is why their species isn't that good, degraded/bad genetics from mismanagement/over-reliance of pod growth.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
According to the same interview that gave us S-Cells, Saiyan tech is superior to Earth science in the fields of war and space travel.

But horseshit in literally everything else.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

chiasaur11 posted:

Bardock.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Saiyans were originally the most cliche of warrior races. Violent brutal and uncarring.

Obviously this changed but to pretend they were not originally that is revising the past a bit

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flytrap posted:

According to the same interview that gave us S-Cells, Saiyan tech is superior to Earth science in the fields of war and space travel.

But horseshit in literally everything else.

Which is odd, because you'd think they'd want, as a 'for instance', giant cows for lots of meat. Or maybe they tried that and found the meat didn't taste so good?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bloodly posted:

Which is odd, because you'd think they'd want, as a 'for instance', giant cows for lots of meat. Or maybe they tried that and found the meat didn't taste so good?

They'd probably steal them from elsewhere.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What war tech do saiyans even have, it looked like they were still stuck on the "punch really hard" level of warfare.

I guess there's saibamen but I wanna say they pilfered those instead of having some genetic engineer invent an army of Radditzes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

a cartoon duck posted:

What war tech do saiyans even have, it looked like they were still stuck on the "punch really hard" level of warfare.

I guess there's saibamen but I wanna say they pilfered those instead of having some genetic engineer invent an army of Radditzes.

Artificial moons is about it.

They also have the three step planet conquer technique

1. Send a baby to a planet
2. ???????
3. Profit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Artificial moons is about it.

They also have the three step planet conquer technique

1. Send a baby to a planet
2. Baby becomes unstoppable engine of destruction for one night to completely wipe out all life
3. Profit

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pureauthor posted:

DBMinus Bardock is still a genocidal space pirate, only he doesn't want his son to die.

I don't see it as that big a change.

Agreed. Minus is fine. The only thing this story (probably) invalidates is Bardock’s old design and the dumbass psychic powers plot. That’s fine by me.

Movie looks amazing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Most of their tech was taken from the ruins of the Tuffles or given to them by the Frieza force. They invented bullshit DNA though and have seemingly rudimentary understanding of cloning if they grow their kids in pods.

poo poo, maybe this is why their species isn't that good, degraded/bad genetics from mismanagement/over-reliance of pod growth.

Tuffles were the original inhabitants of planet vegeta, sayians came from salada. They had to have interstellar travel before meeting the tuffles.

The history of the sayians makes no goddamn sense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

Tuffles were the original inhabitants of planet vegeta, sayians came from salada. They had to have interstellar travel before meeting the tuffles.

The history of the sayians makes no goddamn sense.

It makes sense if we assume they had at least enough technological know-how to create interstellar travel.

-Saiyans create spaceships to take over worlds
-Saiyans fight amongst themselves, destroy Planet Sadal, a few manage to escape including their current ruler, King Vegeta
-Saiyans reach Planet Plant, take it over as their new planet, rename it Planet Vegeta
-Freeza learns of how good the Saiyans are at killing planets, decides to offer them an invitation to join his army or die
-Turns out the small print on that contract said that they could still all get killed if Freeza felt like it, should've read more closely!
-Saiyans are now all dead except for those that were off-planet at the time (Raditz and Vegeta, Nappa, Broly and Paragus, Kakarot)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dr. Slump appeared in an episode of Super and got an award for his invention, which was a portable wishing machine that even Beerus used. I'd say that's pretty drat impressive.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's entirely plausible that the Saiyans nuked themselves back to the Stone Age multiple times.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

What war tech do you even need when one of your elite can raise two of his fingers in order to nuke a city

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pacra posted:

What war tech do you even need when one of your elite can raise two of his fingers in order to nuke a city

logistics because those guys get really hungry

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Funky Valentine posted:

It's entirely plausible that the Saiyans nuked themselves back to the Stone Age multiple times.

In minus the houses are like really basic and there's only a few thousand of them, even their birth rate was bad before being used as shock troops and encouraged to not care about other Saiyans did not help.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

When even the smallest child can wreck whole planets during a full moon this goes from plausible to virtually certain. Honestly it's amazing the Saiyans lasted as long as they did.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chiasaur11 posted:

PUNCHING THINGS REALLY HARD.

Like, really really hard.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

bardock was only a brilliant scientist in one of the old dubs

I always liked to imagine that a "scientist" on Planet Vegeta was just a slavemaster. And whoever got thier Tuffle slaves to perform the best was the greatest scientist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Stairmaster posted:

logistics because those guys get really hungry

Now I'm imagining a single saiyan baseball with loads and loads of air support that are nothing but for delivering sandwiches and soup or something to keep them going

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TrilliontonNixon posted:

When even the smallest child can wreck whole planets during a full moon this goes from plausible to virtually certain. Honestly it's amazing the Saiyans lasted as long as they did.

Well, EVERYBODY turns into a monkey, so probably it's a monkey party and then start putting cities back together.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
No way this is real but, the idea of Gine pulling a Supergirl sounds like the exact kind of stupid I've come of expect of the series at this point. Plus, I like Gine.

quote:

>Vegeta was born a few years before Broly and Goku, despite the trailer implying otherwise
>Frieza killed Bardock (not shown) during the Planet Vegeta's destruction
>Bardock's crew characters from the OVA are in the movie as background saiyans, Toteppo ("Borgus") is the first one to be shown
>Gine survived, Bardock put her in some kind of stasis chamber ship / pod (similar to Olga Kurylenko's character in Oblivion)
>Gine's space pod was destined to Earth, but it was damaged in the ensuing chaos of Bardock's last stand
>Gine's pod lands on Earth only during the epilogue

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Epilogue of the movie or what.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That is the implication, yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So Girl has been wandering space for like 50 years.

drat.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There is no way they'd give us old lady Gine out of thin loving air.

Right? Who's Tarble?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This movie sounds like it’s gonna be an insane mess, which is better than being boring. Maybe?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well I'm guessing the idea is that she would look the same, whether Saiyan genes or because she was in stasis :science:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So Goku will be older than his mom.

What are you doing Toryiama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

There is negative chance that's true, but I want it to be because it'd be really dumb.