Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like how the last chapter ended on a cool "don't underestimate her!" one-liner that paid off with gently caress-all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Eej posted:

honestly, can't wait for Todoroki to just freeze someone's blood to knock them out in a school training session

The first thing he does in the series is flash freeze Ojiro and Hagakure's bare feet to the floor and tell them they'd need to rip their skin off to keep fighting.

Also again, Mirio demonstrated perfect minimal force in his fight against 1A.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Messed up that my bird boy's lesson was "knock your fellow classmates unconscious during exercises."

That's super bad for you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
todoroki's team is up next, right?

i get the feeling he's going to lose, mainly to show off honenuki's capabilities

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Messed up that my bird boy's lesson was "knock your fellow classmates unconscious during exercises."

That's super bad for you.

Amount of restraining force has to be proportionate with your knowledge of the quirk you are restraining. How could you use minimal force against shigi or AfO or warp man? Tokoyami went for minimal force against an unknown quirk in a situation where he was told to treat them as if they were real villains. That's a great way to end up dead.

UA is training heroes to survive in a world where everyone is armed with the unknown. Look at Endeavor during Hosu, immediately tries to shut the first nomu down and then when it didn't work tries to figure out their quirk. Leading to him straight up murdering the second nomu he encounters because he had no other way to restrain him that wouldn't result in more potential harm.

Look at All Might and that Habit guy before the USJ incident. He knocked him out while barely saying a word or giving any sort of warning. I get that it seems vicious in our society where the worst a cop might encounter is an armed assailant. It's more like swat or military training then cop training. A heroes only real advantage over villains is that they have been trained to use their powers immediately while societal restraints mean that the villains have less experience using theirs causing a hesitation that a hero can exploit.

Honestly there was also a lesson there for Shroom girl. If he had knocked her out then her team would have lost and in the real world that could have meant casualties because using the throat shroom wasn't "cute". If you have the ability to lock them down with overwhelming force and while minimizing casualties then do it. Pussy footing around with proportionate response to an unknown assailant is a great way to end up dead in their quirk world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might kinda does have a history of completely knocking out the mooks he fights.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I always liked when Gran Torino zoomed around the League of Villains like a bullet, knocking them all out before they could react. I bet Deku could probably pull that off with some training.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shoto opens his fight by immolation the entire training ground, making his opponents pass out/die of smoke inhalation/burn.

Bakugou just does that big blast he almost killed Izuku with back at the start of the year.

Izuku straight punches Monoma's head off.

1-B wants a war, they get a loving war.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, what a loving burn by Kendo. "I don't really feel like I won" Like drat, not even pretending it was tough to beat Momo at all.

Ah well. Personally I'm just looking forward to when Momo comes clean about being the traitor and starts using her Quirk to full effectiveness. Robot arms climbing out of her back as an android pulls itself out of her and she builds herself a suit of power armor. poo poo's gonna rule.

Anyway, I'm betting her stepping up her quirk use moment like Kirishima's Red Riot form, Deku's Full Cowl and Tokoyami using Dark Shadow to fly is going to be realizing that she can keep changing things after she's made them. Imagine if she'd turned that sheet of tungsten into a net and then glue or carbonite or something.

Funky Valentine posted:

Shoto opens his fight by immolation the entire training ground, making his opponents pass out/die of smoke inhalation/burn.

Bakugou just does that big blast he almost killed Izuku with back at the start of the year.

Izuku straight punches Monoma's head off.

1-B wants a war, they get a loving war.

I'm invested just to watch Shouji carrying everyone on his back, personally.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man I'm not sure the world is even ready for "Doctor Octomomo"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also yeah making kids fight pseudo deathmatches really is just a very bad idea and seems like a guarantee something unfortunate will happen when someone gets hyped up on adrenaline

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thank God Katsuki Bakugou, the most level headed person in the world and master of proportionate response, is leading the team that goes second to last.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Bakugou's explosions have thus far obeyed the Laws of Shounen Weaponry (covers other characters in hatching and exterior damage) so I'm not too worried about it.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also yeah making kids fight pseudo deathmatches really is just a very bad idea and seems like a guarantee something unfortunate will happen when someone gets hyped up on adrenaline

Better it happens at UA where Recovery Girl is standing by then during one of their internships where they will just be dead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Momo should've feinted and punched Kendo in the throat with a pair of brass knucks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I am appalled that the shonen about heroes in training is having them fight

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Momo should've feinted and punched Kendo in the throat with a pair of brass knucks.

instead she fainted and let everyone else get throat punched or actually punched

i REALLY want baku and todoroki to lose and monoma to win since hes the leader of 1-B but horikoshi is being real loving typical as of late so im not holding my breath lest i get disappointed like momo fans

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

i REALLY want baku and todoroki to lose and monoma to win since hes the leader of 1-B but horikoshi is being real loving typical as of late so im not holding my breath lest i get disappointed like momo fans

Bakugou will get three of his team members caught and then drat near single-handedly defeat the entire team on his own.

Monoma is not the leader of 1-B, he's just the loudest.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rouncer posted:

Amount of restraining force has to be proportionate with your knowledge of the quirk you are restraining. How could you use minimal force against shigi or AfO or warp man? Tokoyami went for minimal force against an unknown quirk in a situation where he was told to treat them as if they were real villains. That's a great way to end up dead.

UA is training heroes to survive in a world where everyone is armed with the unknown. Look at Endeavor during Hosu, immediately tries to shut the first nomu down and then when it didn't work tries to figure out their quirk. Leading to him straight up murdering the second nomu he encounters because he had no other way to restrain him that wouldn't result in more potential harm.

Look at All Might and that Habit guy before the USJ incident. He knocked him out while barely saying a word or giving any sort of warning. I get that it seems vicious in our society where the worst a cop might encounter is an armed assailant. It's more like swat or military training then cop training. A heroes only real advantage over villains is that they have been trained to use their powers immediately while societal restraints mean that the villains have less experience using theirs causing a hesitation that a hero can exploit.

Honestly there was also a lesson there for Shroom girl. If he had knocked her out then her team would have lost and in the real world that could have meant casualties because using the throat shroom wasn't "cute". If you have the ability to lock them down with overwhelming force and while minimizing casualties then do it. Pussy footing around with proportionate response to an unknown assailant is a great way to end up dead in their quirk world.

I don't think I like this lesson, at all, especially for children who are being trained to be heroes. The problem is that many of the students have quirks that, if used at full force, could easily kill or permanently maim their opponents, even with shonen physics. Should Deku haul off and 100% punch every villain he meets in case one of them has a toughening quirk? Whoops, he broke someone's neck. Should Bakugo open every fight with a nuclear blast just in case they have an instant death quirk? Should Momo just make guns and loving shoot people because then she doesn't put herself in danger? Shroom girl's power is actually a really good example of how badly this can go wrong. What if she uses her super awesome instantly-disable-any-opponent throat shrooms and whoops the target is extremely allergic to mushrooms, or has a serious breathing problem that she didn't know about? She just killed them.

You are correct in that UA is training heroes. That's the key word, heroes, i.e. people who put themselves at risk for the welfare of others. Much like a policeman in the real world is held to a higher standard of behavior than a normal person and it's a serious issue when a scared cop fills a suspect full of holes, it should be considered a big loving problem if heroes are trained to be so keyed up about potential threats that they respond to every situation with maximum force at the drop of a hat instead of attempting proportionate and reasonable responses.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really hope that either Todoroki or Bakugou get caught first on their team and the remaining three have to band together to pull off a win.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Bakugou will get three of his team members caught and then drat near single-handedly defeat the entire team on his own.

Monoma is not the leader of 1-B, he's just the loudest.

someone said if kendo wasnt around all of class B would have cosigned to the 1-A hate, hes the president and kendo is vice president

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kendo is the class president.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bakugou is either going to win by showing that he can work with others now or he's going to lose because he can't work with others. I'm interested in how it'll play out for him because it'll highlight his development either way.

Also in the next fight. Todoroki is the clear stand-out but Honenuki is a potential counter. He'd also counter Iida. Other than that its pretty melee-heavy and tbh Tetsutetsu may be able to just beat the poo poo out of Iida, Ojiro and Shouji by himself. 'Goes fast' isn't too useful if you shatter your leg on the other guys face. The biggest mystery for me is Pony's 'Horn Cannon.' I'm really hoping its that she straight up shoots kamehameha's out of her head or something else ridiculous like that. Lets keep up the streak of powerhouse ladies!

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Kendo is the class president.

so is iida and what does he actually do

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't think I like this lesson, at all, especially for children who are being trained to be heroes. The problem is that many of the students have quirks that, if used at full force, could easily kill or permanently maim their opponents, even with shonen physics. Should Deku haul off and 100% punch every villain he meets in case one of them has a toughening quirk? Whoops, he broke someone's neck. Should Bakugo open every fight with a nuclear blast just in case they have an instant death quirk? Should Momo just make guns and loving shoot people because then she doesn't put herself in danger? Shroom girl's power is actually a really good example of how badly this can go wrong. What if she uses her super awesome instantly-disable-any-opponent throat shrooms and whoops the target is extremely allergic to mushrooms, or has a serious breathing problem that she didn't know about? She just killed them.

You are correct in that UA is training heroes. That's the key word, heroes, i.e. people who put themselves at risk for the welfare of others. Much like a policeman in the real world is held to a higher standard of behavior than a normal person and it's a serious issue when a scared cop fills a suspect full of holes, it should be considered a big loving problem if heroes are trained to be so keyed up about potential threats that they respond to every situation with maximum force at the drop of a hat instead of attempting proportionate and reasonable responses.

Don't really disagree with you but bet Horikoshi might. All Might was the greatest hero and he knocked people the gently caress out constantly. Endeavor is the new top hero and his go to move is to ignite the air around a villain so they get knocked the gently caress out. Best Jeanist was a top hero who didn't have to knock them out cause he could restrain anyone with their own and his own clothes. Yet cause he didn't knock AfO out he ended up with a massive hole in his stomach.

Gentle wasn't knocked out and he managed to blow Midoriya away and probably could have escaped if not for his feelings being reached
Muscular, Teeth Guy and Gas Boy were all knocked out so got captured.
League of Villains were restrained and so all managed to all escape.
Overhaul was knocked the gently caress out so got captured and maimed
AfO was knocked the gently caress out so got captured
Stain was knocked out so got captured
Habit Guy was knocked out and so got captured
Red Riot tried to be restrained with Knife Guy and got trolled over and over

It's pretty consistent. Attempting to just restrain people with minimal force means they will escape and come back to haunt you later. Maybe it will change and he will work on teaching them restraint but so far every lesson I've seen has been for them to go for the knockout.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Kanos posted:

TBF this basically describes what American cops are trained to do.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
every normal person, the millisecond class b is introduced: hell yeah i cant wait to see them fight eachother

this thread: *sees a character riding in a car without a seatbelt* what hte FUCKL

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Remember how Gentle's entire backstory was that being stupid and using your power without thinking of the consequences is really goddamn dumb and ruined his life?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

every normal person, the millisecond class b is introduced: hell yeah i cant wait to see them fight eachother

this thread: *sees a character riding in a car without a seatbelt* what hte FUCKL

Wear your goddamn seatbelt. :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I do kind of see the issue here. There's a bit of a clash between the "realistic" and "cartoonish" elements in MHA sometimes. I can accept that Soul Reapers, magical ninjas, and even One Piece-world normal humans don't get concussions, etc., but MHA has this semi-"real-world" setting where the implicit rules regarding physical injuries, as well as social and legal norms regarding use of force, are more blurry.

This is probably fundamentally a problem with the superhero genre rather than MHA specifically.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 5, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There are also some people that just seem impossible to restrain without knocking them out. Like Todoroki with his fire and ice, or Ashido who could use her acid to melt through most restraints.

Without Shinso there to mind control her, I have no idea how Tsuyu's team would have been able to stop Ibara without going for the knock out.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In the real world, Momo would probably have brain damage right now from being knocked out that badly. They could work around the issue by using a sedative device like Star Trek's hypospray

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 5, 2018

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

I do kind of see the issue here. There's a bit of a clash between the "realistic" and "cartoonish" elements in MHA sometimes. I can accept that Soul Reapers, magical ninjas, and even One Piece-world normal humans don't get concussions, etc., but MHA has this semi-"real-world" setting where the implicit rules regarding physical injuries, as well as social and legal norms regarding use of force, are more blurry.

This is probably fundamentally a problem with the superhero genre rather than MHA specifically.

Have their been realistic injuries in this series? Deku kept destroying his arms, but it's not like they went into the gory details. It's been pretty standard shonen fare as far as I can recall. Hell, Nighteye had a spike through most of his torso and survived to make it to the hospital.

Nothing in this arc has been more extreme than the license test or the sports festival. People are just being weird about it. It's a comic book world with comic book physics, don't over think it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

Have their been realistic injuries in this series? Deku kept destroying his arms, but it's not like they went into the gory details. It's been pretty standard shonen fare as far as I can recall. Hell, Nighteye had a spike through most of his torso and survived to make it to the hospital.

Nothing in this arc has been more extreme than the license test or the sports festival. People are just being weird about it. It's a comic book world with comic book physics, don't over think it.

I’m not talking about how the injuries are drawn so much as their role in the story and the way the setting they occur in relates to our world.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

galenanorth posted:

In the real world, Momo would probably have brain damage right now from being knocked out that badly. They could work around the issue by using a sedative device like Star Trek's hypospray

In the real world, Momo would have probably been torn in half from the weight of that cannon.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
In the real world there are legitimately bad consequences to the idea that the proper use of force is PLUS ULTRA, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it in a shonen superhero comic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

The fight was bad, that’s why everyone’s talking about the flaws

If it were good people would barely be saying poo poo about it

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Kanos posted:

Remember how Gentle's entire backstory was that being stupid and using your power without thinking of the consequences is really goddamn dumb and ruined his life?

Actually his life was ruined by using his quirk in public without a license.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The fight was fine but nothing's going to live up to 6 straight days of people projecting their expectations on to the outcome.

Mushroom's broke as gently caress, but I'm working under the assumption that she doesn't just go around growing mushrooms in people's vital organs because she can't control it that well or maybe because she needs to be close enough to specifically target things or any of the other nominal controls that Horikoshi has put on apparently broken quirks in the past.

We went through the same stupid discussion back when Eri first used her quirk and yeah wow it turned out she can't control it, it's way too dangerous to use, and it seems to have a usage limit tied to her horn.

Discussions regarding the dissonance between Momo's performance and the characters' reaction to her performance are entirely subjective. She did way better here than she has in the past, even if it didn't secure the win. Aoyama and Hagakure were way more disappointing but that's always been their lot and frankly I hardly care what they do at this point. For a 4v2, the two characters I give a poo poo about put up a pretty good fight against a group with some crazy new quirks, I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Eej posted:

lol that you think choking someone out is ok if you're starting to lose

Like, what is the lesson here for 1-A? That you should beat the poo poo out of your opponents until they literally can't fight anymore? Would we be cheering Deku on if to beat Monoma he goes 100% and strangles him to unconsciousness? I mean I would but still

I'm still dumbfounded by this chapter. The implication is that you should punch people in the head until they're unresponsive or they're fully justified in filling your throat and lungs with fungus until you pass out and hopefully they're knowledgeable enough about human physiology to not give you brain damage or kill you from an anaphylactic reaction

In a training exercise

I mean they were specifically told to treat the other team as if they were villains. You give the villain a chance to fill your lungs with mushrooms hell yes they're gonna do it.