Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

toiletbrush posted:

Thats basically sellotaping a second dick onto the pig at this point.

I can’t tell if this means you think it’s going to be bad or good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Mehrunes posted:

Patch notes for the new experimental update...

Holy poo poo. That is a lengthy list. Amused that a lot of them fall under the general heading of 'make exocraft less lovely and obnoxious and not fun to use'.

However, this:

Notes posted:

Fixed an issue that caused the 'Find nearest building' signal booster option to find only buildings of the same type as the nearest building. 

Bit of a nerf to signal booster / manufacturing facility farming. Now it'll need nav data all the time. Oh well. I've experienced literally all those bugs wth the harvesters, so that'll be a nice fix. Tired of coming back to find the radon hoppers empty and my cobalt harvesters have hoppers full of copper. :confused:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

quote:

-Fixed an issue that caused the 'Find nearest building' signal booster option to find only buildings of the same type as the nearest building. 

I figured this was probably a bug but was still a convenient behavior in several ways.

But hooray for finally putting your ship on a pad when you teleport to your bases.

E: and for fixing some of the more garbage parts about exocraft, like low inventory space and not being able to mine anything that requires an advanced laser. I suspect the gun will still be completely worthless though.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 1, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah ships showing up on landing pads will be really nice.

There's no way to locate supply depots specifically, right?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Oh, can someone explain to me the best way to get the bonus quicksilver? I have had a hard time finding weird planets with these anomalies even with an indium drive.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Oh, can someone explain to me the best way to get the bonus quicksilver? I have had a hard time finding weird planets with these anomalies even with an indium drive.

I literally just stayed on the community event planet (moon), and a lot of a comm beacons further out from the portal mark unassociated tracking installations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh also, can you just sell ships somehow? I have a couple garbo early game ships just sitting around in my freighter now and I'd like to get rid of them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Oh also, can you just sell ships somehow? I have a couple garbo early game ships just sitting around in my freighter now and I'd like to get rid of them.

It's often requested but right now there is no way to sell a ship or otherwise get rid of one other than to trade it + money for another ship.

For this week's community event, your best bet is to stay on the moon the portal sends you to. There are at least a dozen other buildings that some friendly person left a communication station next to, so you can use the comm station waypoints to get to boundary failures you haven't clicked yet.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

PittTheElder posted:

There's no way to locate supply depots specifically, right?

Seems like one of the galactic commission quests is always a “raid a supply depot” one. I don’t know if that would fit your bill though. And besides, I remember the game being odd about whether it would place a marker to a depot or not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

jack_squat posted:

Seems like one of the galactic commission quests is always a “raid a supply depot” one. I don’t know if that would fit your bill though. And besides, I remember the game being odd about whether it would place a marker to a depot or not.

Nah that's pretty good, I'll check that out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So exocraft are still going to use weird RC car controls instead of normal 20 year old video game controls?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
All these Exocraft updates makes it seem that they had some of this ready before Next but it got pushed to the backburner. Good thing we're finally getting it, especially that Exocraft Summoning Station (even though I'd prefer it to be a ship upgrade).

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

ToastyPotato posted:

So exocraft are still going to use weird RC car controls instead of normal 20 year old video game controls?

Don't they control exactly like the Warthog from Halo?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So that teleport receiver upgrade doesn’t really do much extending, huh?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Holy poo poo. That is a lengthy list. Amused that a lot of them fall under the general heading of 'make exocraft less lovely and obnoxious and not fun to use'.

However, this:

Bit of a nerf to signal booster / manufacturing facility farming. Now it'll need nav data all the time. Oh well. I've experienced literally all those bugs wth the harvesters, so that'll be a nice fix. Tired of coming back to find the radon hoppers empty and my cobalt harvesters have hoppers full of copper. :confused:

poo poo, I’ve been manu farming and still have quite a ways to go probably.

PittTheElder posted:

I used a cheat program to delete the garbo ships. That way I don’t have to fly around in the crap ship forever hoping to find what I’m looking for in order to trade it and can instead fly a good ship and just buy the new ship.

Finally got a S38/12 Fighter last night, took me quite a while.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bgreman posted:

Don't they control exactly like the Warthog from Halo?

I've not really ever played a Halo game outside of the PC multiplayer demo briefly more than a decade ago, so I don't know. All I know is that I can't think of any game that I have played that controlled like that. Going back to Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast, I have been pretty used to having acceleration on a trigger, and steering on a stick. And even before that, having buttons for accel/brake. Using one stick for accel/brake and the other for steering is alien AF for me.

Edit: Apparently a submarine has been datamined. Not officially announced in any way, but hey, they are at least working on it. Nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyubKvOa7E8

Here is a nice breakdown of all the new vehicle stuff. The dude will do a more thorough mega guide eventually. (I recommend his starship guide. Excellent source of info.)

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 2, 2018

Burns
May 10, 2008

I really see no point in the exocraft. It doesnt actually add anything to the game. Also no point in adding subs because the oceans are completely barren.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Exocraft have the unique ability to scan for certain buildings which is cool, but I really just want that on my ship. Or for the hoverbike one to be much, much faster.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I want a roomba attachment that lets me have all the resources from objects the exocraft Koolaids through.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I want a bicycle.

With a basket and a bell. Bring bring.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Burns posted:

I really see no point in the exocraft. It doesnt actually add anything to the game. Also no point in adding subs because the oceans are completely barren.

The oceans might not have much of anything in them, but if you find a big enough one on the right kind of planet it can be incredibly pretty and chill to just swim around for a while and take selfies with fish. I'm really hoping we see more ocean content; I found a really beautiful planet in an uninhabited system that's like 95% deep as gently caress ocean with undersea caves and trenches and poo poo. I'm currently preparing to transfer my base to a big platform I'm mounting on a teeny tiny island amidst the endless waters.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Saved a Star Destroyer from pirates but didn't have quite enough credits to buy it. Now I can't; the dialogue won't repeat. :sigh:

Had an interaction with a Korvax that made me laugh. I haven't seen this interaction again. I don't remember the exact wording so this is a paraphrase:

"The Korvax shows you a datapad with three pictures: a slug, a monkey, and a Korvax. You know enough of the language to understand that the Korvax is asking you to tap the picture that most closely represents your level of intelligence."

*taps the picture of the Korvax*

"The Korvax doesn't believe you."

"You have lost reputation with the Korvax."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I appreciate that they have tried to improve exocraft, but I'm amused that my exocraft guy only knows how to sell cyclotron ballista upgrades.

E: my framerate has gone to poo poo (maybe because the ground is all lumpy now?). In order to use triangle to quick transfer to our from storage after getting the Pilgrim, you have to scroll past the edge of the window with the dpad. lol

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Scanning airborne critters is so loving infuriating. :argh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Some of them have insanely fucky detection. I got one earlier that only started scanning when I focused on the tip of its tail.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Updated to 1.64 on PS4 today, and I’ve been getting texture issues ever since. The ground will appear in very low res patches for a few seconds before popping in properly.

Building underground seems to have become harder too? I kept getting ‘not valid’ errors when trying to construct a new base.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

...! posted:

Saved a Star Destroyer from pirates but didn't have quite enough credits to buy it. Now I can't; the dialogue won't repeat. :sigh:

The pirate attack scenario is triggered on your next jump after some number of wall clock hours (I think it was nine? I don't quite remember).

So if it's been a while since you've jumped, jump back to the same system you found the Star Destroyer; it'll be the same freighter again. It's seeded just like everything else.

This is also how you go shopping for the one you want: you just wait until the time has passed and just start jumping to every system around until you find one you like. If you don't like what you see, just reload your game and jump again to a different system.

Mind, the *class* of the freighter is random(ly distributed) so if you find one you like, but it's a C class or whatever, you'll have jump into the same system again to re-roll the class. Since you have to leave the ship to check the class, though, this clobbers your auto-save, so make so to do a manual save before you start taking test drives.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I thought each system's freighter was class locked too? If so, I have passed through 3 star destroyer rescues and all 3 were C class.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Leaving your ship on an unowned freighter doesn't autosave, no manual save required unless you buy for some reason. And the timer is 3 hours.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone else have control issues? Suddenly I keep getting phantom inputs from my controller (on PC). I switch between pad and keyboard when I am switching between vehicles or on foot. But suddenly I have the issue where if I use my pad and then switch to keyboard, my character just keeps walking forward. Even if I go to a menu my cursor just wanders upward. Also, I can no longer use the Left Trigger functions in build mode. I can use the keyboard equivalent button, but the pad button does nothing. I suspect this has something to do with the new controller config function that Steam added recently. This is my first time playing since August.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Blindeye posted:

I thought each system's freighter was class locked too? If so, I have passed through 3 star destroyer rescues and all 3 were C class.

Nope. If you jump to a system and there is a freighter battle, kill the pirates, find the class, and if you dont like it, load a save from pre-warp and warp to the same system, and you'll get the same freighter cosmetically, but new class and slots.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Mehrunes posted:

Patch notes for the new experimental update...

-Fixed an issue that could cause players to be ejected through their freighter's hanger when leaving some tall Exotic ships.

I might just have to join in on the beta. Haven't been able to play since the latest patch because every time I get out of my ship, it spawns me in a wall. Happened on Polo's ship and a friend's freighter. My character used to jump out of the cockpit in an animation but now it just warps me 15 feet or so to the right. Luckily I was able to jump into the ceiling and get close enough to enter my ship again, but I really thought my last save was boned there for a while. Space stations and planetary pads are generally fine, though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

...! posted:

Scanning airborne critters is so loving infuriating. :argh:

Just drop them dead and scan the corpse.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also I have to say that having even just one S class boltcaster mod feels like it makes a huge difference. So glad ricochet works properly now.

Edit: Looks like the steam controller config was the culprit. Turning it off fixed my controls.

New question, how come I can't build the exocraft accelerator module? I did the mission that was supposed to give it to me I think. And now he wants me to use the accelerator to hurry to some building. But I have no recipe for the module, and he didn't hand me one in my inventory... Did I miss something or am I bugged?

Edit: It looks like one of those reddit refiner charts is outdated now because it has Mag Ferrite + Oxygen = Rusted Metal and ingame that gives Rare Metal instead. Is rusted metal a good way to get near infinite ferrite? What is the most optimal ferrite loop? I finally have carbon and oxygen pretty much at infinite now.

Edit AGAIN: Looks like Rusted metal can effectively double my pure ferrite by going 1 Oxygen + 1 Pure Ferr = 2 Rusted Metal. 1 Rusted Metal = 2 Ferrite. 1 Ferr = 1 Pure Ferr.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 7, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Found an Erased Planet that was full of floating bubbles. Like actual soap bubbles that had a prismatic effect if the sunlight caught them just right. So weird. I couldn't pop them though.

They really, really need to change how sentinels work. I get that there's a storyline reason for them but as a gameplay mechanic they're just infuriating. It's bad enough that I can't mine materials in peace but I can't even defend myself from predators attacking me without a nearby sentinel deciding I need to be punished for it. gently caress off with that poo poo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you mine something from a long distance and a sentinel sees the object being mined it will rush over and go "huh what's going on?" but won't be able to figure out that you're the one doing it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, get the rocket boots. The Sentinels can't keep up for poo poo if you just rocket-jump away over a hill or something and then run for it. Another strategy is to just climb into your ship and circle around at a distance for a minute, then come back once they forget about you and wander away.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Would one of those save editing things be able to give my roamer the acceleration module? I am pretty sure my Roamer is bugged because it never got the tech, and I am pretty sure I have seen people in videos with boosters on it. My Nomad has boosters, and my Colossus doesn't.

Also I keep getting a bug where doors disappear from my base? I hadn't had that in a while, but I had it twice today.

Also is there a trick to finding Frigates for sale or something? I had all these fleets in my system but no pop ups on the Frigates to buy them. Is it a system wealth thing or totally random?

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 9, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Also I keep getting a bug where doors disappear from my base? I hadn't had that in a while, but I had it twice today.

Oh I had that yesterday. Both external doors to my base vanished. The ramp leading up to it was still there.

So, how does the small rooms interior stairs work? I can't get it to snap to anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Haven't tried those yet. Just unlocked most of the base building parts in the blueprint analyzer yesterday. Thank god for temperate planets and the update that made every tech module have salvage tech in it. Grinded up nearly 100 salvage in no time, and that was just in the area that was near my base.